• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
logo.png

The New Deemo update is available right now for Free! It adds TV mode, playable now with a controller, and four new collection :

• R.A.C Collection #6
  • Mili Collection #3
  • Cranky Collection
  • Yamajet Collection

With this, the game counts now more than 220 music!
For those who don't know, Deemo is a Rhythme game Focused on the piano, developped by Rayark, same developpers as Voez

Here's the trailer :

The game is also available on IOS/Android and Vita, but the Switch version is definitely the best, all the music are available for free, while the Vita version contain approximately 50 songs for free while the rest is paid DLC

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Rayark does not have a bad game to their name, but I'm not super into Deemo. Cytus 1 on Switch when

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The music. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good! But I don't think it's as good as Cytus or Voez.

for me it's the opposite, while i still like playing voez, i would say i only appreciate like 50 % of the soundtrack, while Deemo it's like 80-90 %! It's because i prefere the instrumental style of deemo rather than the electro/j-pop of Voez

I will definitely get cytus too!

Anyway, here's a wonderfull piano cover

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm in the middle of run 2. Curious to try this on the TV.

While we're here though, I was curious about checking out Voez but I was curious if it had as much story and lore as Deemo does.

EDIT: i hate button mode. It doesn't feel nearly as organic as touch controls. Also, i play with the joycons detached and just hold the screen generally so maybe im just really used to treating it like an actual tablet or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm in the middle of run 2. Curious to try this on the TV.

While we're here though, I was curious about checking out Voez but I was curious if it had as much story and lore as Deemo does.

there's a small story that you unlock bit by bit by playing, but it's really an outside thing, every music are unlocked from the start, it's just a bonus and not as much as the center of the game like Deemo

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely regret getting that physical Vita version.

At least it was only $25 but the marketing around it made it seem like the DLC songs were included and so I'd much rather have gotten this Switch version instead, as I've barely played the Vita copy as a result. I guess I'll just pick this up at some point.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Did Voez ever get a TV mode? Wondering how much more playable these types of games are with buttons...or sticks...or however this will work.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Hm... TV Mode isn't that great. Basically, notes on the left side are blue, and you hit those with any d-pad button. Same with the right being red and using the face buttons. It doesn't really work well.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
The switch version includes all DLC (including the new added songs) ?

There were so many packs that I never got around buying them and I was hoping for a version with everything.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
It's a slightly improvement over 'VOEZ' touch controls that were ridiculous because of how bad implemented they were. In 'Deemo', due to the two colors notes, at least they are serviceable. But the ideal is playing with touch controls.

All of that said, while 'VOEZ' is one of my favorite games in Switch, and probably my favorite rhythm game ever, I felt disappointed with 'Deemo'. Maybe I'm not as good with music games, but their smaller hit boxes respect to 'VOEZ', and losing the novelty of the moving notes killed the game for me. It's sad, because I still prefer the song selection in 'Deemo'.

I have no regrets in having purchased both titles, thought. I want to support Rayark, and every music title that they release in Switch will be a day one purchase for me. I hope to see 'Cytus' eventually ported.

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The switch version includes all DLC (including the new added songs) ?

There were so many packs that I never got around buying them and I was hoping for a version with everything.

not every pack are there, but the majority of them are, i thinking it's only missing one or two collections! Like i said, more than 220 music now, it's definitely worth the price

It's a slightly improvement over 'VOEZ' touch controls that were ridiculous because of how bad implemented they were. In 'Deemo', due to the two colors notes, at least they are serviceable. But the ideal is playing with touch controls.

All of that said, while 'VOEZ' is one of my favorite games in Switch, and probably my favorite rhythm game ever, I felt disappointed with 'Deemo'. Maybe I'm not as good with music games, but their smaller hit boxes respect to 'VOEZ', and losing the novelty of the moving notes killed the game for me. It's sad, because I still prefer the song selection in 'Deemo'.

I have no regrets in having purchased both titles, thought. I want to support Rayark, and every music title that they release in Switch will be a day one purchase for me. I hope to see 'Cytus' eventually ported.

yeah i'm the same as you, while Voez has the better gameplay, deemo music selection is far better, so i vastely prefere Deemo because of that!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought this at launch to support Rayark, really wish I had time to play it more.

Still waiting for Cytus

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
not every pack are there, but the majority of them are, i thinking it's only missing one or two collections! Like i said, more than 220 music now, it's definitely worth the price

yeah i'm the same as you, while Voez has the better gameplay, deemo music selection is far better, so i vastely prefere Deemo because of that!

My problem with 'Deemo' is that is much more exigent in its timing. In 'VOEZ', with a bit of practice, I can have a Full Combo even in the Special rank songs. And when I fail a note, I know the reason because I have failed a note.

But 'Deemo' is much less generous. Sometimes, you touch a note, only to see that it doesn't count. Sometimes, I'm playing a song thinking that I have a full combo, only to see in the screen that I have failed a note.

I have a very bad sense of rhythm. In 'VOEZ', you can still lack the sense of rhythm and you will not have a Full Perfect score. But to obtain a Full Combo, is more related with the quick reflexes and skills required to play an arcade game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Need to put more time into this, although I'm currently playing through Voez, which has been good, but man, it might be quantity over quality with these games. I'm just overwhelmed (my mindset is still from the old IIDX days).

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to get this. I love Voez so much, my biggest complaints with it are the lack of a Favourites folder/marking making it hard to find my favourite songs in that huge library (that only gets bigger) and it's awkward sometimes for the notes you hit at the same time, sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a double hit or just one and then another right after on the other side of the screen. If they were a different colour (like the notes you hit at the same time being grey or stylised differently) then it'd be great.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having dedicated left and right notes for physical controls is such an improvement over Voez, holy jeez.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Considering I love Voez, how does Deemo compare, is it worth it?

I am surprised we do not have a demo.

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Considering I love Voez, how does Deemo compare, is it worth it?

I am surprised we do not have a demo.

It's definitely worth it! the gameplay isn't as complex as VOEZ, but it's as much challenging! the presentation is pretty sobre compared to voez, but there's a real story in it!

the biggest advantage to me is the soundtrack, focused around the piano, more instrumental, less electro (there's still some though), and i definitely prefere this one over VOEZ

and like i said in the OP; more than 220 music, so for the price it's really generous

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the TV mode is worth playing? That's fantastic news

Reminds me a lot of Splatoon 2's rhythm game. That's neat.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's definitely worth it! the gameplay isn't as complex as VOEZ, but it's as much challenging! the presentation is pretty sobre compared to voez, but there's a real story in it!

the biggest advantage to me is the soundtrack, focused around the piano, more instrumental, less electro (there's still some though), and i definitely prefere this one over VOEZ

and like i said in the OP; more than 220 music, so for the price it's really generous
Does it play well on the TV? If it uses the L and R, this could be a better TV implementation, due to that, and the fact it is simpler, less types of things to press

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I would honestly like a rhythm game that have good button gameplay (maybe Miku will come around sometime), but TV mode here doesn't seem bad.

dabs furiously

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this music in this compared to voez

I heard this has like a fantasy motif to it or something

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
How is this music in this compared to voez

I heard this has like a fantasy motif to it or something

While a lot of rhythm games try to reach an audience interested in electronic and dance music, Deemo focused instead in music lovers. You will find a lot of more sophisticated genres, from classical music to trip hop or jazz.

As an example, one of my favorite songs in Deemo.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bought!

Game is amazing.

Any way to get the controller to vibrate as you press keys?

Maybe a way to keep your customized bgm speed and key the same across all songs?

Last edited:

Rahk

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, although I haven't even played through all the available songs yet.

My problem with 'Deemo' is that is much more exigent in its timing. In 'VOEZ', with a bit of practice, I can have a Full Combo even in the Special rank songs. And when I fail a note, I know the reason because I have failed a note.

But 'Deemo' is much less generous. Sometimes, you touch a note, only to see that it doesn't count. Sometimes, I'm playing a song thinking that I have a full combo, only to see in the screen that I have failed a note.

I have a very bad sense of rhythm. In 'VOEZ', you can still lack the sense of rhythm and you will not have a Full Perfect score. But to obtain a Full Combo, is more related with the quick reflexes and skills required to play an arcade game.
It's the opposite for me. I can see why you prefer VOEZ, but these are all reasons why I really like Deemo. I prefer the tight hit windows and nailing the rhythm perfectly with the simple but fun gameplay. If you don't have much experience with rhythm games it could be something that you can improve on, rather than writing it off as a lack of rhythm. Just need to keep practicing, starting from easier songs and working your way up. That's how I got good at DJ Max years ago.

I only tried VOEZ briefly years ago on mobile but I couldn't get into it. I didn't really like how you had to swipe for some notes and other gimmicks. Maybe I'll give it another shot and try the Switch demo.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey guys, any tips on improving on Deemo?

On Voez, I could play mostly all of it in normal, and at a regular, medium speed. With deemo (in normal) I am finding that they keys come down way too fast, even at 0.5 speed lol. Also, there seems to be less margin of error, and the keys are very close together, making me having to react way to fast. I've tried both, touch and controller and I can't seem to get it down.

I went from doing 97%+ on easy, to about 60% on normal....and I would prefer to stick to normal. I expect it to be not too easy, not too hard, just in the middle, but I am finding it surprisingly hard.

Any tips? Perhaps with deemo I should just stick to easy in the mean time?

Thanks.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

On Voez, I could play mostly all of it in normal, and at a regular, medium speed. With deemo (in normal) I am finding that they keys come down way too fast, even at 0.5 speed lol. Also, there seems to be less margin of error, and the keys are very close together, making me having to react way to fast. I've tried both, touch and controller and I can't seem to get it down.

I went from doing 97%+ on easy, to about 60% on normal....and I would prefer to stick to normal. I expect it to be not too easy, not too hard, just in the middle, but I am finding it surprisingly hard.

Thanks.

Well, the first tip is that you should forget the button controls. This game is intended to be played with touch controls, and while the button controls are serviceable, also can make the game much more unforgiving in advanced songs.

Also, this game is much more technical and hard than 'VOEZ'.

I can complete most of the songs of 'VOEZ' in Special mode with full combos. And in 'Deemo', I struggle even in the easy ones, once they reach a Level 4 difficulty.

All of that said, I enjoy a lot of 'Deemo'. And I combine both games in my playing sessions. Indeed, even with its high difficulty, 'Deemo' is a much more relaxed experience thanks to its quieter soundtrack.

So my advice is to try to complete all the songs in the Easy mode, before jumping into the Normal mode. Don't get frustrated and simply enjoy the game. Forget the assumptions regarding difficulty in 'VOEZ'. In 'VOEZ', easy songs are too easy. While in 'Deemo', easy songs still offer a good level of challenge. And with a bit of practice, you will even reach perfect combos in some of the normal songs. As soon as you start using touch controls.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised people are having so much trouble with Deemo.

I absolutely suck at anything above 4-traks in DJMax, but I can pretty much all-combo anything up to level 7 in Deemo. It's like ideal difficulty.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm kind of surprised people are having so much trouble with Deemo.

I absolutely suck at anything above 4-traks in DJMax, but I can pretty much all-combo anything up to level 7 in Deemo. It's like ideal difficulty.

As I said in a previous message, not all the people have a good sense of rhythm. This, like a good musical ear, is a capacity that you can only develop as a kid, but once you growth up, is much more difficult to achieve.

You can see this in 'Super Mario Odyssey' and the jump rompe mini game. Some people without a previous knowledge of musical games, can complete this game in their first attempts. For me, it took me hours of frustration and multiple attempts. The same can be said of 'Rhythm Tengoku', I know people struggling even in the tutorial game for calibrating the Wii controllers.

'VOEZ' is able to do a very good thing. Thanks to relying in quick reflexes and ability, the type of skills required for playing a fast paced arcade game, it can be enjoyed and completed even by people like me with a bad sense of rhythm.

So is understandable to see people enjoying of 'VOEZ', who gets frustrated with 'Deemo' because they are expecting a similar experience.

All of that said, I play games for enjoying of these games, simply because they are fun. And in 'Deemo', I can still find songs that I can enjoy, with a level of challenge not surpassing my personal skills. So I'm fine with this. I adore Rayark's games, and I love 'VOEZ' and 'Deemo', each one for different reasons.

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
huh weird, i find the special track on voez way harder than the one in deemo!

I never did a full combo on special while i did a ton on demo on hard (not the level 9 and 10 though)

Rahk

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks.
It would be best to play songs that are slightly harder than you can handle. Playing songs where you get 97%+ is probably not going to help you improve as much. Try finding a group of songs that are a bit difficult for you that you enjoy, but not too difficult or hectic where you can barely register it, and keep re-playing those and you should see yourself improving over time. You'll build up muscle memory and eventually you'll look back and wonder why you had so much trouble with those songs. Don't push yourself too hard, just play and enjoy it and take breaks when you feel like it. Often you'll come back after a break and do better than before.

Also, I'd recommend not decreasing the speed and trying to get used to at least 1x speed. This may be the main reason why you're having trouble on normal. It's more of a hindrance when there's so many notes coming down slowly at once because you're not relying on muscle memory and it's harder to hit the notes at the right time perfectly, especially when they come down so close together. At a faster speed there appears to be more of a gap between the notes so it's easier to distinguish them and hit them at the right time. Try practicing at a faster speed with songs you can do well on. You should be able to adjust after some time.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It would be best to play songs that are slightly harder than you can handle. Playing songs where you get 97%+ is probably not going to help you improve as much. Try finding a group of songs that are a bit difficult for you that you enjoy, but not too difficult or hectic where you can barely register it, and keep re-playing those and you should see yourself improving over time. You'll build up muscle memory and eventually you'll look back and wonder why you had so much trouble with those songs. Don't push yourself too hard, just play and enjoy it and take breaks when you feel like it. Often you'll come back after a break and do better than before.

Also, I'd recommend not decreasing the speed and trying to get used to at least 1x speed. This may be the main reason why you're having trouble on normal. It's more of a hindrance when there's so many notes coming down slowly at once because you're not relying on muscle memory and it's harder to hit the notes at the right time perfectly, especially when they come down so close together. At a faster speed there appears to be more of a gap between the notes so it's easier to distinguish them and hit them at the right time. Try practicing at a faster speed with songs you can do well on. You should be able to adjust after some time.
Wow great advice!!!!

I put the speed up, faster but the keys are indeed further apart, it really helps special now that I get the songs better

Thank you!

The speed was just intimidating at first

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't stand rhythm games with touchscreen controls. Guess I may buy this one now.

I assume you can also use physical controls while undocked?