• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't care about it anymore.
UBYT.gif

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I want the game with the fidelity shown in the reveal trailer. Give me Deep Down on PS5. Book it Vince!

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really do think DD is going to be a Nioh situation:, revealed at the reveal of the new Sony console, but only comes out the generation after.

Panty Raid was never meant to be sadly.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I shouldn't, but for anyone curious here's the story of what happened to Deep Down. The game is over five years old now, maybe it's a good time for this to come out publicly.

Deep Down was a sinkhole for Capcom. That announcement trailer? It was fucking bullshit, at the time the engine could only run 2-8 FPS, how that trailer was made was they took fucking screenshots of the game and turned it into footage and did the sound for it, I'm not fucking kidding. Even once the engine got off the ground to be more functioning, the game would still only run around 5-25 frames per second. The engine could produce some good visuals, but it ran like ASS. More so, what was completed for the project simply was NOT FUN, everyone who ever got to try it realized the game was not coming together. On top of this, the Phanta Rei Engine, which internally was known as the Sophia Engine, was really hard to work with. It had terrible user interface and was very unintuitive and a chore to use.

Capcom sank so much time and money into it, but ultimately realized it was a failing project. All of the people working on it one day were told to just stop, the game was sent to another segment of Capcom to try and 'save' the project, port it to the Unreal Engine.... and it was never officially cancelled, but it kinda' just silently died. Many people within the company don't even know what happened to it or where it currently is, it's probably in some Capcom storage basement somewhere.

Ono has lost a lot of power within the company so he likely won't be able to bring it back, plus it was a financial disaster for them and the much, much, MUCH better RE Engine came from the ashes of the Phanta Rei/Sophia Engine, so unless Capcom decide to remake it from the ground up one day, it'll probably never see the light of day. The actual Deep Down people know ran like shit and was not fun, and it kinda' just disappeared when being ported to the Unreal Engine, end of story.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Poop or get off the pot. Feels like copyright trolling...on themselves. I've been waiting for this game since the start of this gen and I hope they've finally made it into the DS/ Online/ Slasher that it could be. There's no persistent, dealdly MMORPG type game out atm, and this could really fill a niche (PoE, I suppose, if we're really stretching the comparison and ignoring the isometric/ Diablo elements).

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I shouldn't, but for anyone curious here's the story of what happened to Deep Down. The game is over five years old now, maybe it's a good time for this to come out publicly.

Deep Down was a sinkhole for Capcom. That announcement trailer? It was fucking bullshit, at the time the engine could only run 2-8 FPS, how that trailer was made was they took fucking screenshots of the game and turned it into footage and did the sound for it, I'm not fucking kidding. Even once the engine got off the ground to be more functioning, the game would still only run around 5-25 frames per second. The engine could produce some good visuals, but it ran like ASS. More so, what was completed for the project simply was NOT FUN, everyone who ever got to try it realized the game was not coming together. On top of this, the Phanta Rei Engine, which internally was known as the Sophia Engine, was really hard to work with. It had terrible user interface and was very unintuitive and a chore to use.

Capcom sank so much time and money into it, but ultimately realized it was a failing project. All of the people working on it one day were told to just stop, the game was sent to another segment of Capcom to try and 'save' the project, port it to the Unreal Engine.... and it was never officially cancelled, but it kinda' just silently died. Many people within the company don't even know what happened to it or where it currently is, it's probably in some Capcom storage basement somewhere.

Ono has lost a lot of power within the company so he likely won't be able to bring it back, plus it was a financial disaster for them and the much, much, MUCH better RE Engine came from the ashes of the Phanta Rei/Sophia Engine, so unless Capcom decide to remake it from the ground up one day, it'll probably never see the light of day. The actual Deep Down people know ran like shit and was not fun, and it kinda' just disappeared when being ported to the Unreal Engine, end of story.
Daaaaaamn, what a mess.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

2699242-5532558152-deep-.gif

One day..

Do you know if it was a Sony funded game?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Phanta Rei aka the Sophia Engine are better off staying dead, while it had some impressive tech it was incrediably unintuitive from what I hear. The RE Engine that currently exists was essentially born from the ashes of that engine anyways, you'll see the power of that engine when REmake 2 is revealed.

Sophia Engine? What do you mean by that?

MT Framework while it can be vastly upgraded, it always stays a last-gen engine in mind. I can't imagine it incorporating all the new features from the Pantha Rhei engine, let alone, voxel based dynami GI, voxel based dynamic fluids (like fire, smoke and water) and procedural animations and procedural locations creations. I am not even sure if the current version of MT Framework supports any type of PBR workflow to start with.

It will be a shame to just ditch such advanced engine they created. I don't think it is dead tbh especially if they are still renewing the trademark of the game. Look how Squaresoft still fought to make Luminous Engine surive after more than a decade and they finally released FFXV with it and they even plan to support next-gen with it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Sophia Engine? What do you mean by that?

MT Framework while it can be vastly upgraded, it always stays a last-gen engine in mind. I can't imagine it incorporating all the new features from the Pantha Rhei engine, let alone, voxel based dynami GI, voxel based dynamic fluids (like fire, smoke and water) and procedural animations and procedural locations creations. I am not even sure if the current version of MT Framework supports any type of PBR workflow to start with.

It will be a shame to just ditch such advanced engine they created. I don't think it is dead tbh especially if they are still renewing the trademark of the game. Look how Squaresoft still fought to make Luminous Engine surive after more than a decade and they finally released FFXV with it and they even plan to support next-gen with it.

Internally Capcom never called it the Phanta Rei Engine, it was known as the Sophia Engine by all who ever worked with it. I don't know the reason why, publicly it was known as Phanta Rei, internally it was known as Sophia.

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017

Oh well , they managed to get something positive from it at least. That is the RE engine.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
lol fuck off, this thing has been going on for five years now. I'm more interested in knowing the story of why it's been fucked for so long than actually playing it at this point.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
What if this is the big project Itsuno's been working on? That meltdown would be one for the ages.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Shame, but not surprising. Maybe it will get Nioh like treatment next gen.

Also Sophia engine is such a cool name.

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017

But what about the co-op footage shown at TGS? That looked good visually and pretty fun. Was it already in Unreal at that point?

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Aww, poor Ono. I guess that Darkstalkrs and Onimusha aren't coming back any time soon since he seems the only higher up who pushed for them.

OP
OP
AAMARMO

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2f0.gif

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
More so, what was completed for the project simply was NOT FUN, everyone who ever got to try it realized the game was not coming together. On top of this, the Phanta Rei Engine, which internally was known as the Sophia Engine, was really hard to work with. It had terrible user interface and was very unintuitive and a chore to use.
Yeah, the old gameplay footage that was released years ago left me with a meh feeling. If capcom decided to remake it, i hope it becomes something completely different.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, have I missed some news or are these jokes?
The Onimusha trademark surfaced again a month ago in an interesting way, for some reason the Mega Man 11 official web page when the recent trailer came out linked to an Onimusha 1 trailer, so some people getting their hopes up. To see if anything comes from it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Onimusha trademark surfaced again a month ago in an interesting way, for some reason the Mega Man 11 official web page when the recent trailer came out linked to an Onimusha 1 trailer, so some people getting their hopes up. To see if anything comes from it.
Hmm very interesting to hear.

I loved the first three games and would love a new one. I am wondering how it would work today though as I cant imagine them stick to the tank controls and static backgrounds (even though I wouldn't mind them).

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So I wonder what engine or system this demo was presented on?

That doesn't look 5-25fps.

Unfortunately, smoke and mirrors. The game was never at a stage of actually running that well, The footage you're seeing there is pre-rendered, it does represent the visuals the engine could produce, but it could never run it that well. I know it's being demonstrated as a 'live' gameplay showing, but it's not.

There was a demo completed of footage available, but you'll see the performance issues if you dig that up. For the record, I'm saying this with knowing some things, my story there isn't a gut feeling. Deep Down had promise, but it wasn't living up to it on a few accounts.

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, smoke and mirrors. The game was never at a stage of actually running that well, The footage you're seeing there is pre-rendered, it does represent the visuals the engine could produce, but it could never run it that well. I know it's being demonstrated as a 'live' gameplay showing, but it's not.

So people were not playing it at that show?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So people were not playing it at that show?
You'll find what people played and that specific slice of gameplay are separate things. You'll also find the people who played it at the time were selective, they were informed the game was still being worked on and was not representative of the final project due to the state it was in at the time. There was a playable slice of gameplay created for one event, but it still had performance problems and had to make a lot of cuts to function. Which on-top of this, was the only section of the game which ran more steadily at any point in development, which is why they decided to show it off.

I know people want to believe, but the story I'm sharing is the honest truth. I'm not saying it won't ever resurface, maybe Capcom will decide to do something with it. But if it does, it was because they decided to start from scratch again, but due to factors at play I'd doubt they'd bring it back at this time at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.