• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Deep Rock Galactic sold 3 million copies on Xbox and PC as of last November. At this time, it also had "almost one million players" from Xbox Game Pass. One week after the PS5/PS4/PS+ release, the game surpasses 10 million players across all platforms.

From Coffee Stain and Ghost Ship PR :

Deep Rock Galactic Reaches 10 Million Players Across All Platforms After Groundbreaking PlayStation Launch
The award-winning, action-packed, co-op mining shooter welcomes more than 6 million new players in a week, more than doubling its notoriously supportive community through PlayStation Plus.

Deep Rock Galactic had an immensely successful 2021, which saw the game win multiple awards and achieve new sales milestones, and the introduction of a content-packed free Battle Pass setting the standard for live-service multiplayer. Starting this year off with a bang, the title has more than doubled its player base to 10 million players following its launch onto PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 on the 4th January. Deep Rock Galactic is currently available for free throughout January for those with a PlayStation Plus subscription.

"The way Deep Rock Galactic has always been developed is directly with the community," Soren continues. "We are a small team, undertaking a huge console launch so it is amazing to have the community working with us every step of the way, and we can't wait to show off what we are going to give back to them in Season 02 this Spring!"

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I had a blast with it when I first got the Series X and played it on Game Pass. Team deserves it.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Good for them! Still need to download and play it, have it on both consoles now.

Are there MTX? I don't care, just curious if this expanded player base will drive more revenue for them.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for them! Still need to download and play it, have it on both consoles now.

Are there MTX? I don't care, just curious if this expanded player base will drive more revenue for them.
There are DLC skin packs that come with every release, but that's it. There are TONS of skins earnable in-game though, and their recent addition of a Season/Battle Pass is 100% free and offers a lot cosmetics.

It's an amazing game, one of my favorites of this gen, easily. Maybe the one weakpoint is the gunplay early on--but once you start getting cores to customize your weapon (which can actually modify the way you play, not just give buffs) and unlock additional weapons, it starts feeling a lot better.

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
My buddies play this and got me into it recently. It's a ton of fun. Well deserved sales.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
There are DLC skin packs that come with every release, but that's it. There are TONS of skins earnable in-game though, and their recent addition of a Season/Battle Pass is 100% free and offers a lot cosmetics.

It's an amazing game, one of my favorites of this gen, easily. Maybe the one weakpoint is the gunplay early on--but once you start getting cores to customize your weapon (which can actually modify the way you play, not just give buffs) and unlock additional weapons, it starts feeling a lot better.

Sweet cheers! Great to hear, I've heard fantastic things so I wanted to know how they can be reimbursed since I already have access to 2 copies of the game through PS+ & GP.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is a FANTASTIC game. Not a single PS Plus subscriber should let this pass by without at least trying it. My friend and I are having so much fun.

So happy to hear good news for it. ROCK AND STONE!

Oct 30, 2017
Damn. I need to give this game a shot.

Titles like this are why I like subscription services. I'm gonna buy the big AAA stuff regardless.
The hidden gems and smaller titles are what keep me subscribing.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
An excellent game, glad more people are discovering it.

I started it up again yesterday for the new season, man the game has more stuff since last may.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Playing it solo for like 10 hours since i got it from plus and i have my fun. Probably going to add countless hours when i unlock the good stuff. 2 assignments till I'm through on the assignment board string. Game has A lot of clever/nice ideas. It's really refreshing.
Some things need a better description though.

Last edited:

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Seems cool but is it any fun to play alone? Seems to very much be a co-op game and I don't have anyone to play with.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been this obsessed with an online MP game since Destiny's first month. I bought the $30 add-on pack because I just love this damn game so much. Unbelievable to think the game launched a week ago on PS4/5 and already has more players than all other platforms combined

Amazing game and ROCK AND STONE TO THE BONE

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
So so good. The cheering is really infectious.

What a huge jump in players, I'm very happy for the team. They really seem to have a bead on what will be great for the game and community.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I only started playing this in December via Xbox, shame it can't crossplay (to my knowledge with PS4) so I can get maximum usage out of the game without starting over.

In any case, one of the best co op games I've played in recent years, with some of the most character as well.
God tier quips and reactive dialogue.
ROCK AND STONE, BROTHA
IF YOU DON'T ROCK AND STONE, YOU AIN'T COMIN HOME

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I jumped into this game not knowing what it was and was pleasantly surprised at how fun it is. The cave RNG can get a little dumb at times though what with some objective being at awkward spots.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Seems cool but is it any fun to play alone? Seems to very much be a co-op game and I don't have anyone to play with.
You can play totally alone and it's ok but I'd suggest opening it up to public and just letting randos in. They'll join the game as you play and people are pretty cool at least in my experience and mostly just help out (and make the characters yell out "Rock and stone" ;) )

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The game looks exhausting so I didn't download it. And I want my January to be quiet so I can complete my backlog damn it.

Happy for the team by the way.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped into this game not knowing what it was and was pleasantly surprised at how fun it is. The cave RNG can get a little dumb at times though what with some objective being at awkward spots.

The best moments I've had in the game are when we're dumped in an awful situation and shit goes sideways immediately. The chaos is hilarious and when you have a good team working together, this game CLICKS

The game looks exhausting so I didn't download it. And I want my January to be quiet so I can complete my backlog damn it.

Happy for the team by the way.

One thing I definitely think the game needs to work on is onboarding, there is just so much stuff and it is very overwhelming for new players and might turn some away initially. They seem to have a nice "tutorial" phase in the first 10 hours or so, but you might feel lost during that entire time until things fall into place

Last edited:

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
The online co op didn't work for me on PS5, but there was a new patch and I have yet to try again.

Anyway, game looks fun.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I play alone (gunner) and have fun. You get a companion bot when you play solo, which helps with a lot of things (and shoots too). Took me a while till i found out that he can dig minerals too. He also gets an upgrade and digs faster. Specially good for Egg hunts.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you getting the GP info from?

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Bullseye. This type of games should always be given with PS Plus or Game Pass.

scatrapper

Nov 25, 2021
can fans of the game sell me and my friends on the game? The first hour didn't grab me nor my friends. The mining part is quite big and a part I'm not a fan of, for instance, as hacking away for minutes at a time is quite boring. I've had a few tense moments trying to get out in time, but also met frustration as I jumping felt awkward and I repeatedly fell down awkwardly because I couldn't make a jump.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I have the game downloaded but still need to check this game out with some buddies.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Is this a looter/shooter like Destiny?

It's more like Monster Hunter where you select missions and have some ideas of what the rewards will be. There are random additional rewards you can find during missions like skins and additional crafting materials, but no loot. Character progression is strictly through XP, currency and crafting materials earned/found in missions.