• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

Nathan

@DarkDetectiveNL

·
1m

The THQ Nordic AB group, which consists of THQ Nordic GmbH, Koch Media (including Deep Silver), and Coffee Stain, will release two AAA games between 1 April 2020 and 31 March 2021, according to the earnings release sent out today. (link: http://www.thqnordic-investors.com/en/financial-reports/?releaseId=3384166) thqnordic-investors.com/en/financial-r…

Nathan

@DarkDetectiveNL
·
3m

Deep Silver Dambuster Studios has taken over the role of lead development studio for the Dead Island franchise. They are also in charge with the development of #DeadIsland2 now.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Shall we call this game a failure simply b/c it will never live up to it's now 5 year old initial trailer?

That trailer sure was a banger huh?

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
What.

Not only is this the third dev they've thrown onto the game, it's one that already had a hell of a time getting their first project out the door.
Homefront: The Revolution is a pretty great game though regardless. So that's at least a good sign.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
I completely forgot this game existed. It sounds like development did not go well if they switched developers.

Edit: 3 developers!?! This game is cursed.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think Dam Buster will finally get this game out, but I also think the time for Dead Island 2 has passed. They had an entire gen to get in on easy money before BL3 and now they've missed that mark. I'm assuming they're aiming to just beat out BL4 at this point. DI2 will have to be something really special or perfectly timed to do as well as the original I think. Since the Dead Island name doesn't seem to carry much weight looking at the sales of the HD collection.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Dambuster also picked up Homefront: The Revolution and they couldn't save it. I feel like the same thing is going to happen to Dead Island 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dam Buster will finally get this game out, but I also think the time for Dead Island 2 has passed. They had an entire gen to get in on easy money before BL3 and now they've missed that mark. I'm assuming they're aiming to just beat out BL4 at this point. DI2 will have to be something really special or perfectly timed to do as well as the original I think. Since the Dead Island name doesn't seem to carry much weight looking at the sales of the HD collection.

Why are you comparing Dead Island to Borderlands and not obvious choice which is Dying Light? I know it had 4 player co-op and some loot, but it wasn't really considered a loot game. Dying Light is literally a more refined Dead Island by the same developers.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dambuster also picked up Homefront: The Revolution and they couldn't save it. I feel like the same thing is going to happen to Dead Island 2.

From what I played, Homefront 2 didn't seem that bad. I heard the DLC itself was pretty good.
Biggest issue I had with Homefront was it did the whole "Do X amount of side content to unlock the next story mission".
I don't mess with that.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
If this game is half as entertaining as its development cycle then we have a hell of a game on our hands

Just kidding, we're never getting this game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i always thought the original version of this game(the one by yager) actually looked pretty good. So this is really bizarre what has been going on with the development..

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Why are you comparing Dead Island to Borderlands and not obvious choice which is Dying Light? I know it had 4 player co-op and some loot, but it wasn't really considered a loot game.

I still feel the overall idea of Dead Island is far more comparable to Borderlands. Having recently played the HD titles, that was the game it felt closest to rather than Dying Light. With how long the develop on 2 has been, who knows what form DI2 ultimately takes though.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting this game exists, and wow at the fact that it's been 5 years since the announcement.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
From what I played, Homefront 2 didn't seem that bad. I heard the DLC itself was pretty good.
Biggest issue I had with Homefront was it did the whole "Do X amount of side content to unlock the next story mission".
I don't mess with that.

That and it was a broken mess even after it was supposedly "fixed" with an awful stealth system and a completely forgettable story.

I seriously don't get the rose tinted glasses for Homefront: The Revolution and I'm a defender of the first game.

They should really just axe Dead Island 2 at this point. The development for that game has been perilous to say the least and maybe that time is better spent making something else.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks for all these threads Shard Shinjuku :)

On topic: I really wonder how this game will look when we see it again. I'm sure it must've had another reboot somewhere between Sumo taking over and now, because why else would you fly in another studio and let that other studio take over the project? I guess this also means Sumo is not involved anymore?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember playing this back at PAX in 2014, alongside Escape Dead Island. It was pretty decent. Escape was not.

Wonder how much it changed in the past half-decade. Prolly not even the same game.

camelkong

Feb 26, 2018
giphy.gif

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Please just make another Timesplitters , nobody needs Dead Island after we got Dying Light.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! So it's moved through Yager, Sumo Digital, and now is in the hands of Dambusters? Yikes. I hope we hear the full story about what went down on this game. I actually quite liked Homefront: The Revolution.

The amazing thing is that the formula that Yager was aiming for would've likely turned it into an even bigger game than the original. It was pretty forward thinking in terms of what was going to be one of the big genres of this gen.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Friendly reminder that THQ held an AMA on 8chan (now defunct website known for being delisted off Google because of all the child abuse material), and at least one THQ executive felt perfectly comfortable responding to posts that contained drawn underage girls being groped and homophobic slurs~

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I hope it still come out some day. Just so I can see how much of the Yager game I got to play is still in there.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Ok now delete the game that was made by Yager and start again. Some how they went from Dead Island being a survival horror game with a story to Dead Island 2 being an MMORPG without the MMO part or the story. That was some top tier decision making skills.

The amazing thing is that the formula that Yager was aiming for would've likely turned it into an even bigger game than the original. It was pretty forward thinking in terms of what was going to be one of the big genres of this gen.
No it wasnt. It was Destiny but even lighter on everything and had no story mode at all.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
I'm pretty shocked they haven't just cut their losses and canceled the game already. I know they wanted to make Dead Island their biggest IP but all of the spin-offs failed pretty badly. Everybody knows Dying Light is the real DI2 and DL2 looks pretty amazing.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I need this game to come out. I'm one of the few (?) who really enjoyed Dead Island and fully completed it, enjoying every minute. Who knows, maybe there are dozens of us. Dozens!

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I need this game to come out. I'm one of the few (?) who really enjoyed Dead Island and fully completed it, enjoying every minute. Who knows, maybe there are dozens of us. Dozens!
Oh I also loved it and I'm currently playing Riptide Remastered. It's no milestone in video game history, but really fun to play. Enjoying it in coop very much. Was also really looking forward to Hellraid, but I guess that is as dead as it gets^^

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Homefront Revolution, once patched, was an amazing game. Finished it with all DLCs. So this could be great news. Hopefully Dambusters finally manage to ship it, and in good state.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the game comes out, Dying Light 2 will have eaten it's lunch, dinner and midnight snack

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like the first game, announced, then silence for years and people think it is dead.

*waits for CGI trailer just before release that unrepresentative of the shitshow game.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Thank god we have Dying Light and Days Gone to satisfy our zombie needs haha. Their CGI trailers were great tho, does anyone know the studio that did those?

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
God I hope Dying Light 2 is good. The first was fantastic.
Hell yeah... but didn't they mention that the fight versus other factions will be more the focus instead of the zombies? I remember them stating something like this and that made me worry. Loved the zombie fights and hated the fight versus other survivors in Dying Light 1. Really hope I'm misinformed here

Thank god we have Dying Light and Days Gone to satisfy our zombie needs haha. Their CGI trailers were great tho, does anyone know the studio that did those?
World War Z is also a really good coop game