• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, not good. Homefront Revolution was one of the worst games I have played on PS4. I'm still mad at myself that I have finished it.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This game has gone through 3 different developers. Techland will probably finish the sequel to the game the left this series to start, Dying Light, before this game sees the light of day

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Man, what a fucking mess this game's development has been. They should have just paid Techland whatever it took to keep them on board and it would have been out 5 years ago and probably a huge success.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Holy shit! So it's moved through Yager, Sumo Digital, and now is in the hands of Dambusters? Yikes. I hope we hear the full story about what went down on this game. I actually quite liked Homefront: The Revolution.
I'm trying to remember if Sumo Digital ever tweeted or made announcements about the game's development.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
They mentioned it back on a Game Informer podcast interview back in January.

"Two Sumo developers, including the co-founder, briefly talked about Dead Island 2 on the Game Informer Show yesterday. They sound pleased about the project. They said, " There's a lot of great stuff in there. When THQ Nordic are ready to show it, I think you'll like what you see."

I've seen the game recently and I agree. There's no denying it's been kind of a rough road but I think fans of the original won't be disappointed.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"Two Sumo developers, including the co-founder, briefly talked about Dead Island 2 on the Game Informer Show yesterday. They sound pleased about the project. They said, " There's a lot of great stuff in there. When THQ Nordic are ready to show it, I think you'll like what you see."

I've seen the game recently and I agree. There's no denying it's been kind of a rough road but I think fans of the original won't be disappointed.

They are simply taking over, then, not restarting development?

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
They are simply taking over, then, not restarting development?
It's not my place to comment on that, but you can be sure that development hasn't started from scratch with the current shift. I'm certain there'll be more info from official side about the status of the project, now that the word is out.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dead island 2? Damn, I forgot about that game. The first one was so janky. Who is asking for a sequel?

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have tinkered around in coding a couple of my own simple games and I couldn't imagine trying to finish someone else work on something as complex as this. And then for it to happen 3 times....

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
whatyearisit.png

Honestly, I remember seeing a teaser for this at E3 2012....maybe 2013? I mean it was when little big planet 3 was a thing

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dam Buster will finally get this game out, but I also think the time for Dead Island 2 has passed. They had an entire gen to get in on easy money before BL3 and now they've missed that mark. I'm assuming they're aiming to just beat out BL4 at this point. DI2 will have to be something really special or perfectly timed to do as well as the original I think. Since the Dead Island name doesn't seem to carry much weight looking at the sales of the HD collection.
Dyling Light stole their thunder and drunk them milkshake through it. Hot take, it was generation leap over what Dead Island was trying to do

Interr0bangr

Oct 31, 2017
I've had Dead Island 2 preordered for like 5 years. Best Buy emails me once a month to remind me and I chuckle everytime.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well drop the 2 at this point, I doubt many people will remember the first game by the time this comes out.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I loved the first Dead Island and I still hold hope that this game somehow ends up being just as enjoyable.

It's not looking good though sadly..

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'm really excited for it still and glad it's still being worked on. Don't know much about the studio though.

Playing through DI1 again on PS4 now, and while it's rough on MANY of it's edges, it still had a lot of cool ideas at it's core. Dying Light never completely pulled me away from wanting a second DI game, and the trailer for the sequel looked awesome.

Really hoping they nail it and it ends up enjoyable. DL2 is actually worrying me a little as it seems heavily focused on human enemies and less about zombies. We'll see, but if they both turn out great then more for me! :D

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hot take: Dying Light 2 is probably going to make Dead Island 2 superfluous. It's been far too long, and the iron is stone cold. I'm surprised THQ hasn't cancelled the project yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: Dying Light 2 is probably going to make Dead Island 2 superfluous. It's been far too long, and the iron is stone cold. I'm surprised THQ hasn't cancelled the project yet.
Nah. DL2 is more focused on humans DI2 is pure zombie fest. DL2 is dark and serious DI2 is mindless fun. DL2 heavy story focus with branching paths etc. DI2 4 co-op multiplayer. The franchises are going in 2 different directions that's why they both will have a place on the market.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
The time to release this game was around three years ago. Before open world zombie games got completely played out and before THQ outed themselves as enablers of utterly disgusting behavior with that 8chan AMA. Now, five years on and on its third developer you couldn't pay me to touch this piece of shit even if by some miracle it turns out to be any good.

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Hell yeah... but didn't they mention that the fight versus other factions will be more the focus instead of the zombies? I remember them stating something like this and that made me worry. Loved the zombie fights and hated the fight versus other survivors in Dying Light 1. Really hope I'm misinformed here

World War Z is also a really good coop game
It might mean the story arc follows the factions. I doubt we will be fighting many humans really in comparison. World war z is really good fun too

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Wasn't there a Dead Island 2 already, pretty sure I remember playing a sequel to the 1st.

I enjoyed the games but always played solo, wouldn't mind playing a new one now with some people.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
hoo doggy what a clusterfuck

if they're still bothering maybe there's some "there" there... maybe