• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
As Deep Space Nine continued over the course of seven seasons, Sisko and Jake's relationship took on new dimensions. Jake grows into an empathetic young man who inherits his father's interests in the arts and becomes a writer. Sisko evolved into one of the most complex characters in all of science fiction. He was a wounded widow and, eventually, beloved husband to his second wife, Kasidy (Penny Johnson), a righteously determined Starfleet captain, and a man aware that for this war to be won, he would have to sacrifice his own morality for the sake of progress. Brooks gave Sisko his trademark bombastic intensity and gravitas. He made his monologues feel theatrical while never sacrificing the core of their emotional impact. But there was also something about the quieter moments, where his face would melt into a broad smile whenever he saw a child or held Jake in his arms. Sisko's love for Jake provided a poignant contrast to the temerity and flinty brio he portrayed as a captain. Ira Steven Behr, who took over as showrunner in 1995, and the inventive writing staff, which included creators like Ronald D. Moore, never lost sight of the fact that the heart of Sisko's character would always be his love for Jake.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/deep-space-nine-revolutionary-depiction-of-black-fatherhood.html

Still my favorite ST show. I need to rewatch it.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Jake is also one of the few kid/child characters who doesn't come across as annoying or a Mary Sue as it progresses.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The Flash and This is Us deserves a nod.

Especially This is Us, the scenes that make Jake realize "hey I am raising a black child" make me say goddamn

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
NGL. Deep Space 9's made me cry before

"Good dad" cries. God, they destroy me.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot less revolutionary when you realize it takes place in the 24th century. I expect we'll be getting parenting right a lot more often by then. :p

I really liked the episode where they made the early bajoran craft and sailed it to Cardassian space.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I let it slide because Rom and his dad really grow to be so much more then they had any right to be. On a lesser show they would have been eternal butts of jokes.

The dominion war really brought a lot of background characters forward. Really what you want from a show based at a station.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The dominion war really brought a lot of background characters forward. Really what you want from a show based at a station.
The episode where Rom deals with PTSD and the hologram tells him he can't stay in a holodeck forever, is one of my favorites.

Boney

Oct 28, 2017
Santiago
I've never seen any Star Trek show but can you really nominate it as a "revolutionary depiction of black fatherhood" in a universe where inter human racism is a thing of the past and systemic oppression of poor and marginalized minorities doesn't exist either. Could you even categorize "black culture" as a contemporary thing in Star Trek?

I suppose the character being the played by a black actor and the portrayal of fatherhood through him might transcend the fictional universe and inform our real world. I suppose that could be revolutionary in of itself...

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The ep where Sisko catches Jake teaching Rom how to read was great example

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen any Star Trek show but can you really nominate it as a "revolutionary depiction of black fatherhood" in a universe where inter human racism is a thing of the past and systemic oppression of poor and marginalized minorities doesn't exist either. Could you even categorize "black culture" as a contemporary thing in Star Trek?

I suppose the character being the played by a black actor and the portrayal of fatherhood through him might transcend the fictional universe and inform our real world. I suppose that could be revolutionary in of itself...

The depiction of black fatherhood isn't something I think is being linked here to cultural identity so much as being a good father while also being black. Which IMHO is far more important a depiction than the idea of needing there to be a specific culture surrounding it. Better more black characters don't fall into specific molds IMHO.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
I was never envious of that father son relationship, but I did bask in the glow of it and enjoy its warmth. I always appreciated that Ben just wanted Jake to find his path, his own choice. The episode where older Jake felt that he had failed his father was heartbreaking.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I was always bummed out that the writers lost sight of Jake in the last two seasons. Character deserved more screen time.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it's one of the best depictions of a father/son relationship in television period. It's been mentioned already but the episode where Jake spends his entire life trying to bring his dad back, finally succeeding, is tremendous.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Consider before DS9 the only parent/child relations in the series was Kirk and his kid. Alexander and Wolf(dear god it was bad). and Wesley and his mom.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Best part about Sisko was his ability to show affection to his son. At work he was a blowhard with no particular skills to back it up, but he was sure a sucker for kids.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
All of you all talking about Rom, don't you mean Nog? ☺️. This thread once again reminds me I need to watch the series again.

Last edited:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
As the creator of the first DS9 topic here, yes it is. I don't think I can ever give enough praise to how fantastic DS9's characters were. I didn't care much for it, but as time progresses, Jake's desire for the Arts, Nogs interactions in following closer to Sisko, and Jake's and Sisko overall relationship from caretaker to equal.