• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The one with the guy whose family donated money at least makes sense, the child rapist one is bizarre though. Just reading up on it briefly he apparently even met with the girl who was raped.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
How does this system work, like couldn't you use it as a nice littler earner, unofficially see which convicts want to pony up some cash for you so they get released. This reads as an absolutely insane story. This is America??

Oct 28, 2017
Only three types of people in the Republican party anymore: sociopaths, grifters and marks. Matt is a sociopath. This is exactly what I expect of these political animals.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone really expect anything less anymore?

You can't spell Gang Of Pedophiles without GOP

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I was just reading this story and I'm conflicted. While he certainly pardoned some awful people, he also pardoned some people who probably deserved to be pardoned, I also don't think we need a check on this power.

This is kinda thing I want a governor to do because at the end of the day ANY pardon is always going to have a group of people outraged about it. Not to mention we talk a lot about second chances on this forum anyway and I am a believer of second chances.
Mhmm, mhmm, mhmm. I see your point. Small counterpoint though? HE PARDONED A GOD-DAMNED CHILD RAPIST.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just reading this story and I'm conflicted. While he certainly pardoned some awful people, he also pardoned some people who probably deserved to be pardoned, I also don't think we need a check on this power.

This is kinda thing I want a governor to do because at the end of the day ANY pardon is always going to have a group of people outraged about it. Not to mention we talk a lot about second chances on this forum anyway and I am a believer of second chances.
I don't really get what there is to feel conflicted over, at all. As if there are people who legitimately should be pardoned, he can pardon them without pardoning awful, vile, reprehensible people like that. These aren't exclusive things. He can do one, without doing the other. And he didn't. And that's horrible. Pretty straightforward, don't see where the conflict comes in at all there.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Holy fuck, you can't make this shit up.

Can this be contested? And is pardon a thing that can be handed out to anyone without any pre-requisites for both the pardoner and the offender?

What the fuck!?

What kind of degenerate behaviour is this?

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really fucked up!!! The child rapist will be roaming around Kentucky without anyone knowing he's a sex offender and will have the option to WIPE CLEAN HIS RECORD!!!!!

Because of a pardon handed down by Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin this week, a man convicted of raping a child in Kenton County walked out of prison a free man on Wednesday.

Officials say he will not have to register as a sex offender, and he can even apply to have the conviction wiped from his record.

Instead of serving the 23-year sentence a Kenton County jury recommended, 41-year-old Micah Schoettle is free after less than 18 months behind bars.

The prosecutor in his case, the victim's family and others on social media have railed against Bevin's decision to pardon Schoettle, one of 428 Kentuckians he pardoned or whose sentences he commuted earlier this week.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
What an awful bunch of reactions in this thread. David Menschel, a Portland criminal defense attorney, echoes my thoughts in his 15 part thread.

Mass incarceration is a plague. Instead of cheering it on, work to eradicate it, no matter what someone's party affiliation is.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an awful bunch of reactions in this thread. David Menschel, a Portland criminal defense attorney, echoes my thoughts in his 15 part thread.

Mass incarceration is a plague. Instead of cheering it on, work to eradicate it, no matter what someone's party affiliation is.

I'd buy your argument if he only pardoned people who were in prison or whatever for minor crimes that people shouldn't be incarcerated for, like possessing weed or shoplifting.

...but he also let out a murderer and a child rapist. That automatically negates any good intentions he might have had.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017

Did you even bother looking at some of the people he pardoned and why? Do you honestly think Matt fucking Bevin pardoned these people because he cares about mass incarceration? Were you born yesterday?

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, pretty sure these legitimate pardons were just intended as a smokescreen to (unsuccessfully) sell his pardoning of donor's family members as a general movement of mercy.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

Oh FUCK OFF with that SHIT!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This is fucking insane. Republicans continue to Republican:

DRgM8LyWkAEGitd.jpg

And seriously the whole concern trolling about mass incarceration is ridiculous. The issue with mass incarceration is because it disproportionately affects poor people, minorities, and for minor non-violent offenses, not because murderers and child rapists being in prison is a bad thing.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy your argument if he only pardoned people who were in prison or whatever for minor crimes that people shouldn't be incarcerated for, like possessing weed or shoplifting.

...but he also let out a murderer and a child rapist. That automatically negates any good intentions he might have had.
Multiple murderers, including one guy who cut his wife's head off and stuffed her body in a barrel. If that guy is a victim of the mass-incarceration system, I would in all seriousness like to understand how.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the family of the convicted killer donated thousands of dollars to the governor's campaign...so yeah.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Pardons should be banned between election day and inauguration day for all incumbents at every level.

Voters should be allowed to see who you choose to pardon while they still have a chance to either reward you or punish you for it.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
This is fucking insane. Republicans continue to Republican:

DRgM8LyWkAEGitd.jpg

And seriously the whole concern trolling about mass incarceration is ridiculous. The issue with mass incarceration is because it disproportionately affects poor people, minorities, and for minor non-violent offenses, not because murderers and child rapists being in prison is a bad thing.

That image will never not be true.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

I can understand you being a sucker for this argument, but I expect a lawyer to know better. These aren't people who are overwhelmingly victims of an abusive prison and jstice system. Several of the people here are convicted murderers and worse. Why the hell should that be ignored? I don't give a damn what party affiliation you have at that point.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I'm confused. Why do random political officials in the US have the ability to just pardon people? I thought it was just the US President but now others too?!

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Yeah, pretty sure these legitimate pardons were just intended as a smokescreen to (unsuccessfully) sell his pardoning of donor's family members as a general movement of mercy.

A little of bit of this.......
This is Trump-like childish retaliation. He sees it as revenge against the former Attorney General of the state...the man who is now governor and who put many of those people away in the first place.

And without question a little bit of this......

Only three types of people in the Republican party anymore: sociopaths, grifters and marks. Matt is a sociopath. This is exactly what I expect of these political animals.

However, at the end of the day this basically sums up Republicans and this particular Republican best.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know shit's bad when Moscow Mitch is like "Yeah, no I can't support that"

Front page of the CJ today was spot on

ELpbPtvWkAEz6kt

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I can understand you being a sucker for this argument, but I expect a lawyer to know better. These aren't people who are overwhelmingly victims of an abusive prison and jstice system. Several of the people here are convicted murderers and worse. Why the hell should that be ignored? I don't give a damn what party affiliation you have at that point.
And he's just reinforcing our shit justice system by pardoning white males overwhelmingly

This shit makes me heated

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Yup! Prepping the public for all of those amazing pardons that trump will drop for manafort and all of his cronies