• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm building a computer as a gift to my uncle who introduced me to gaming. He bought & played a lot of the pre-Quake games from ID: Wolf3D & Spear of Destiny, Doom 1 & 2, Catacombs 3D, all the Commander Keen episodes, etc. so I wanted to let him replay those games (and other games of that era) in the best way available now.

Thing is that I've never messed around with texture packs and mods, so I don't know which packs are best and how modding works overall. I'd love pointers on where to start with those ID games (and any of your own favorite early nineties PC games!)

Any reboot and remake recommendations would be great too. I've already purchased the Wolfenstein & Doom reboots and I'm considering Shadow Warrior.

Thanks!

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
first question would be if your uncle even would want those and not just the original versions

to some people the "best way possible" is the way they remember from when they first played

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is that RE4 Texture fan project finished yet?
Soon. The levels are mostly done and they're putting the final touchups on characters models and other miscellaneous stuff. Current status is here: http://www.re4hd.com/?page_id=1656

And yeah, the RE4HD mod is the gold standard for texture packs. It's 100% in line with the developer's original intent. They even photographed many of the same exact objects Capcom used to make the original textures.

AND AND AND they fixed lighting bugs, cleared up a few of the minor color grading issues that appeared in the HD re-release, and touched up some poor 3D models where the engine allowed it. Incredible work.