• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you me?

These are all of the ones I miss. I'd add Children's Palace too, I remember getting our Turbografx-16 there.

We probably grew up in a similar region, Northwestern Ohio?

I know I've been to Children's Palace, but we very rarely went there (maybe two, three times tops) so it doesn't stick out in my memory.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
EB Games before the Gamestop acquisition/consolidation. I was at my local shop at least once a week either picking up game or chatting with the employees all during high school. Those were some good days.
Walden Books
If we didn't get anything from Kay-bee, chances are good we could at least talk my folks into a book or maybe a magazine. I bought a ton of books and gaming magazines at Walden, and it's where I got almost all of my Dungeons and Dragons stuff, etc.
Oh man, I had one right across the street from me in middle school and I was in there almost daily. I'd say the best analog now is Half-Priced Books in terms of having a place to hang out and read up on and get books.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
J&R Music and Computer World in Manhattan. That was a store. I shopped there for everything from video games to specialty video equipment. Even mail ordered from them after moving away for awhile.

As far as chains go, Borders is the big one for me, but I also have fond memories of Toys R Us, Kay-Bee, and others.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Toys R Us, because it was thrilling to take the ticket to the counter and then being presented with a new game.

Also: Babbage's. The place just smelled like software, that's the only way I know how to describe it.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Electronics boutique & tandy.

They may still live elsewhere in the world but they're certainly dead in the UK.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I bought my first console - the DS Lite - and that dumb Nick Volcano Island game from Circuit City. Sigh.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I enjoyed my time in Hastings. Good prices on used CDs, got some good Beach Boys records and MBV, and a pretty cool looking Misfits hat.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time in Hastings. Good prices on used CDs, got some good Beach Boys records and MBV, and a pretty cool looking Misfits hat.
I made a killing on Hastings site back in the day.

That's one online retailer that I dearly miss.

I went to a B&M before when I was in Colorado, but it wasn't nearly the same price wise as their online site.

*sigh...

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Toys R Us is supposedly coming back or have those plans been scrapped?

Of ones not mentioned, I guess Children's Palace, got a Sega Master System in the early 90s from there on clearance, only problem was the only game I had was the one preloaded on it. Wish I didn't sell it (and my NES+games for that matter) for cheap back in the day to pay my grandmother for the SNES she bought for when people came over that I was the only one who really played it in the first place.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toys R Us is supposedly coming back or have those plans been scrapped?

As of this summer they're opening two smaller stores (The Galleria in Houston, and Westfield Garden State Plaza in Paramus, New Jersey) this November. Dunno if that's changed or not, but the article below says they're still in the works.

However, they signed a deal with Target to handle all of their stock and web sales, which means basically everything you get from Toys R Us is the same shit you can get at Target, it's just sold through the Toys R Us name; https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanve...l-means-toys-r-us-is-a-retailer-in-name-only/

The latest Toys R Us news – the announcement that any time it sells something online or in its new pilot stores, Target and Target.com, not Toys R Us, will be making the sale – made the new reality of Toys R Us hit home.

Toys R Us is never going to be reborn, post-bankruptcy, as a retailer.

The new Toys R Us business model is more social influencer than retailer. Like celebrities and social media stars, it will use its well-known brand to steer consumers to purchases that will be benefit its retail partners, and get a small cut of each sale.

. . .

With the Target deal, their long-term game plan becomes clearer. Let others have the headaches of running stores (b8ta, the retail-as-a-service company that is their partner in the pilot stores) or fulfilling online orders (Target), is what they appear to be saying. We'll get paid, they figure, if our name brings customers in the door, or to a website that leads to a sale.

While the new model probably means Toys R Us will get just a tiny slice of every sale (Target and Toys R Us did not reveal the financial arrangements behind their deal), the amount it has to spend upfront for this new way of doing business is also tiny, compared to real retail. They don't need to hold inventory, have fulfillment centers, or most of the costs of traditional retail.

On the Toys R Us website, relaunched Tuesday, visitors can read toy reviews, and "best of" lists, as well as the top picks of Geoffrey, the cartoon giraffe mascot of the Toys R Us brand. Recommended toys have "buy now at Target.com" links.

That's a super cynical and depressing turn. TRUINO =(

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Futureshop because they were much more willing to price match than Best Buy is now.

Target because of the frequent pricing errors and crazy sale prices on games. New games for 1/3 the price, first party 3ds games for $10.

Good sales or deals are a rarity now in Canada.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
As of this summer they're opening two smaller stores (The Galleria in Houston, and Westfield Garden State Plaza in Paramus, New Jersey) this November. Dunno if that's changed or not, but the article below says they're still in the works.

However, they signed a deal with Target to handle all of their stock and web sales, which means basically everything you get from Toys R Us is the same shit you can get at Target, it's just sold through the Toys R Us name; https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanve...l-means-toys-r-us-is-a-retailer-in-name-only/

That's a super cynical and depressing turn. TRUINO =(
Weak... At least the molded rubber/plastic TRU smell will stick with me forever. :(

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
gettyimages-2915799.jpg

My man. That place was the most gaudy, late 90s-early 2000s bullshit and I loved it so much.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Functionality wise, video rental stores. Redbox works well enough for movies, but you're not going to get shit done with one day game rentals, and they're fucking high. Nostalgia wise, I guess I'd go with Toys R Us.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I second this. My local one was right behind my high school (although it wasn't a straight-forward walk because there was a big creek between my school and its location, so you had to walk a bit out of the way to get the nearest bridge to cross the creek), and they seemed to know nearly all of their regular customers by name and knew all of our preferences. It was always nice for them to pretty much accurately guess exactly why I was coming in. They also threw some fun little tournaments at the store once in a while, like a Smash Melee tournament and even a Guilty Gear X2 tournament. That latter tournament was the first time I ever heard of Evo, because a few of the people that popped in to play were passing through on their way to Vegas. I wasn't a part of my local FGC or anything, but I came in 6th out of 12 contestants and the guys that were on their way to Evo praised me for having my skill level for my age and then told me they were on the way to the biggest fighting game tournament in the world called Evolution. I think this was in 2004 or so, GGX2 had been out for a year or or a year and a half in the US when the tourney was held, so it wasn't brand spanking new or anything.

... anyway, to end that tangent, I actually never really looked more closely into Evo after meeting those guys, but I remember when it got announced to be livestreamed shortly after the release of Street Fighter IV some years later, I was like "oh I've heard of this, weird." Been a fan of tuning into Evo annually ever since lol.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
none actually. Didn't have any that were especially good or bad. They're all the same in my area

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Hollywood video was pretty much my childhood. Wish I could find any picture or anything of the one I went to when I was a kid, but it doesnt exist online.

Marqroq

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Babbages
CompUSA
Toysrus
Lionel Playworld
Service Merchandise
Virgin Megastore
Peaches

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
In my teens and early 20's, its circuit city. mostly looking at car speakers and decks.
Same. The moment I read "decks" I was transported to 1995.

I also miss Toys"R"Us, even though I didn't go there too often as a kid.

I just miss the retail world as it was back when I was younger.

It's probably because I'm getting older, but I've been trying to limit my iPhone screen time (got it down to an hour a day), so that I re-experience what it was like to just have TV or videogames or hanging out outside.

I also miss listening to an entire album of music. I miss MTV and the music videos they would play.

I miss the Disney Afternoon and coming home from school eagerly anticipating reruns of TailSpin, Darkwing Duck, and DuckTales.

I miss the 5 PM edition of Carmen Sandiego. I also miss being made of fun of for watching Carmen Sandiego.

Good times.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Many people say they miss Toys R Us, but honestly, the store wasn't the same after the 2000s redesign.

It might have coincided with me growing up, but I remember the stores feeling more juvenile after the redesign, with the older kids stuff being pushed to the back of the stores.

The video games sections certainly took a dive. I remember the old ones being lined with kiosks and demo units demonstrating Gameboy, N64, and whatever else was hot at the time. After the redesign, it became more and more of an afterthought.

In a way, I don't miss the stores that closed down recently, but rather what the stores used to be.

Last edited:

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
KB Toys/Toy Works
Funcoland
Toys R Us
Child World (think it might've just been a New England chain?)
Comp USA

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Kiddie City. The only Toy store that carried the Neo Geo. Lots of fond childhood memories of that place. Got my first Star Wars, Transformers, and GI Joe figures there.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Super nostalgic about my 90s escapades at Software etc and EB Games. Gamecrazy too.

I also remember going to Barnes and Noble to!skim through all the new gaming mags for free