• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
6awtlofwuxl31.jpg

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Hastings Books Music & Video. I feel so nostalgically for it that I am building a model of it for VRChat as it was in 1998🤪

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Hastings Books Music & Video. I feel so nostalgically for it that I am building a model of it for VRChat as it was in 1998🤪
Came here to say this as well. It was only a matter of time that a movie rental/book store would bite the dust, but goddamn did it hurt when they finally went under. I spent so much of my childhood in that store after school looking at comics and movies to rent.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Software Etc definitely. Sadly it had already turned into Gamestop by the time I had my own job and money. I do vividly remember going there with my dad to buy the Police Quest collectors edition.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
KB Toys and old age Toys'r'us back when they had the long row of display units for games with the panels you could flip to see the front and backside of a box. Man I miss those.

I liked CompUSA. It was the only retail store near me that sold Mac stuff.
My sister use to work at one. I use to get such great things because of it (Like Win2k for free and a Pentium 3 & board for a fraction of it's price). That was my favorite store for PC stuff.

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone remember Service Merchandise?

They had a pretty large video game presence and put out a demo console for everything they had and carried a lot of relatively fringe stuff. For example, that was the only place I ever played a CD-i.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Gamestation. Great for new and retro games

Then GAME bought them and turned them into GAME in all but name and then they closed em down.

Oct 28, 2017
I miss the old independent resellers that would pop up in the strip malls. They always looked the same. They even smelled the same. I could spend hours digging through the piles of games searching for that rare diamond.

I also miss when all the grocery stores would have a video rental section, sometimes it was nearly the size of a regular Blockbuster while other places would have the tiniest of nooks stuffed with movies and games. Some would even sell new games. I picked up a copy of Dragon Warrior 4 for next to nothing from one of those nooks. Even then I knew that was a great find.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I will always miss the Toys R Us wall of game tags

aVWqYe6.jpg

And bonus, anyone in the Fremont area of the Bay Area remember Knight's Video Games? Used to love that places.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Any retailer?

I live in the netherlands and the dedicated game shops ran by passionate gamers themselves were the first to go, then electronic stores that had games for sale stopped selling them and now even toystores barely sell them anymore.

The only things they have on shelves anymore are the big ones like rows of FIFA, Call of Duty and other triple A exclusives. You're out of luck if you want anything for the Swich or 3DS because it's 90 procent shovelware and older games.

Oh and among the wastelands of physical games there was also a stack of Devil Third's for the Wii which I found quite hilarious.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toys R us - bought NES
Circuit City - got the last Wii on launch day.
Software Etc - PC games
Funcoland - great place to hangout playing old school games
SunCoast - for Anime and Merch
Gamecrazy - same for Funcoland

That is my go-to place. Going to the Great Mall in Milpitas and just stayed there for hours.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Game is still around in the UK but not in the form that it was in the the mid 2000s when it used to compete with Gamestation.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day CompUSA had 4 whole isles (grocery store length), top to bottom, of just PC games. And the next isle over was just video and sound cards. It was amazing for the PC gaming scene. I miss those days and that store a ton.

The only other retail store I really miss is KB Toys. I started working there as seasonal stock and left as store manager. Far and away the most fun working enviroment in my life.

I loved KB Toys. Great spot to find games that were otherwise sold out during the holidays. Only complaint is that the games were more expensive, I think, compared to other retailers.

Also, unannounced clearance sales at Circuit City are a big reason my collection is the size it is today.

Nov 6, 2017
None. There was never a retailer I went to regularly. 30 years ago I had to travel to next city to get to a store and that did not change much in all the years (still living outside the big city). That was (and is) a 30-45 minute drive by car, 60+ minutes by bus & train and it was much more expensive than ordering by mail / phone. I can remember several times I tried to buy a game in the city, but in most cases it was a disasters because the game I wanted to buy was out of stock.

Once I started ordering by phone and later (since ~1998) online I never looked back. For me this is the best way to get most things. Fast (99% of all orders arriver the next day), cheap, no hassle and it also saves so much time.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
This may be an oddball one, but Hastings Entertainment. They were like an everything entertainment store that also did rentals, and I was in there constantly. It was one of the only places I could find a decent selection of manga in my relatively small town (Jonesboro, AR). Also, the people the worked there were friendly and I also liked being able to rent something on an impulse when a new game came out that I didn't want to sink $60 on. They were great.

They went belly up around 2016 and I think that was the most depressing closure of a store I've experienced. I had literally been shopping there since I could even remember (I'm talking about late 80's/early 90's, they were around in my town for decades). Not to mention they were the last physical rental place around so having that lack of convenience also hurt, on top of losing my manga buying place. I felt even worse for people that lost their job that had been there forever.

I still drive past the building today (Occupied now by a wholefood store) and I feel a wave of nostalgia and depression wash over me. Never thought I'd feel that way about a retail/rental store.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
ls.jpg

Seriously, nobody who says blockbuster? At least here in Italy it was the only large...
So many good memories, it really felt like being in America in their stores with movies, video games and food

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I miss all the ones Gamestop bought out and killed, Babbages, funcoland, software etc.., EB (in the states, I know they are in in Canada). I even miss some of the smaller, local chains like Game Champ in NYC and in Philly.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
CompUSA hands down my first couple of pc's were 3rd generation hand me downs. I bought my first cd burner and 3DFX card from them.

Nov 23, 2017
FuncoLand.

I also really miss the Toys R Us experience as a kid where all the systems had kiosks and you can pull the piece of paper and hand it to the cashier for a game.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Goldblatts was a young queer non-binary persons dream! The one we used to have near us was absolutely huge! And whenever my family would take me there, my people were there. Stalking for the nights outfit.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Circuit City was a really cool place. I got my GameCube from there, I think, and I played the Sonic Adventure 2 demo there and got a Dreamcast.

I'll always miss Toys 'R' Us the most, though. It was a huge part of my childhood. Action figures, Legos, video games, you name it. Even when I got older, I would go in there just to browse what their video game section looked like and what kind of video game-related toys they had.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I have not read all of this thread so I am sure these retailers were mentioned but some of my favorites -

Toys R Us - in the NES era they carried a TON of Nintendo stuff and not just games. I had this black sweatshirt from there with the Nintendo logo in neon green. (Hey, it was the 80s). If you wanted a game you picked up a paper tag with the title and price printed on it and paid at the register. Then you had to go to another window to pick up the game. When the employee was rummaging for it back there you would crane your neck to see what other games and toys they had stocked up inside that little room.

KB Toys - They just had crazy cheap deals on offbeat games. I remember getting Dungeon Magic and Captain Skyhawk for less than $10 each. That doesn't seem like a deal these days but back then getting brand new games so cheaply was huge.

Software ETC - Before GameStop took over, that was just a really cool that actually had more games than crappy action figures. They got some cool preorder bonuses for games and the employees really knew what they were talking about.

Game Crazy - Kind of a fenced off area inside of Hollywood Video. The employees would almost always play games with you if it wasn't busy in the store.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I think it was Wizards of the Coast, but I may be misremembering. You used to be able to pay to play high end PC games in the back. I could not afford a decent gaming PC in college so I used to play games there.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
ls.jpg

Seriously, nobody who says blockbuster? At least here in Italy it was the only large...
So many good memories, it really felt like being in America in their stores with movies, video games and food

Blockbuster was before I became a germaphobe so now I think I'd view it as a Petri dish. This would be dumb but it wouldn't stop me.

Oct 27, 2017
FuncoLand and it's bin of games, especially when games back there were like $70 new which I didn't realize till years later. Of course I'm all digital now so it doesn't matter, but the nostalgia still gets me