• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is there any chance there'll be a console release for this? I know it's a bit of an odd situation but I was wondering.

(If this counts as portbegging I'm sorry.)

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
So is there any chance there'll be a console release for this? I know it's a bit of an odd situation but I was wondering.

He said it was a possibility but he didn't make any promises, it's just a demo after all. In any case do you not have a computer to play it on, obviously it can be played on any old toaster.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Please tell me if my thinking is right......

Why Kris in the other world have blue cyan skin?

Well...

4aba885d08cafa987dc3dcb477327a43820512fa_hq.jpg

From Photoshop Flowey in Undertale:

The light blue SOUL uses numerous knives that spin and travel diagonally around the screen in unison. The ACT button replaces one of the knives which when interacted with turns the other knives into green bandages that heal the protagonist for a few seconds.

b0b.jpg

I think Kris is one of the Eight "Human" Souls from Undertale. The Cyan one specifically.

ALSO!!! If you take in account the other Heroes, what we have?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Soundtrack is on Spotify now btw.

nice. Shit bout to be played even more than I was originally playing it.

Please tell me if my thinking is right......

Why Kris in the other world have blue cyan skin?

Well...

4aba885d08cafa987dc3dcb477327a43820512fa_hq.jpg

From Photoshop Flowey in Undertale:

The light blue SOUL uses numerous knives that spin and travel diagonally around the screen in unison. The ACT button replaces one of the knives which when interacted with turns the other knives into green bandages that heal the protagonist for a few seconds.

b0b.jpg

I think Kris is one of the Eight "Human" Souls from Undertale. The Cyan one specifically.

ALSO!!! If you take in account the other Heroes, what we have?

I'm honestly guessing Kris turns blue for style points.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Random thoughts, I'll just tag all of it

I wasn't sure how I felt about this at first. Right off the bat, simply seeing "returning" characters was enough to make me extremely wary. Midway through, I was starting to fall for it, but still worried about where it'd be going. By the end I was just completely head over heels. It's awesome. I love it.

The gameplay adds the perfect amount of additional complexity for it to feel fresh, and it's still used as a tool to advance the narrative. The music is damn great, the writing is charming and funny... and Susie. The moment she slams you against the lockers, I said to myself "Just wait, motherfucker, we're gonna be friends, and it's going to be excellent." I will never cease to be an absolute sucker for that kind of thing, and Toby nails it. Taken on its own as a single game, this rules.

But... I'm still a little wary about where we go from here. For one, it's sort of a bummer to know the "befriending the bully" arc is already effectively wrapped up; like, I'm sure there's further compelling stuff in store, but this particular development is one I would have liked to spend even more time with. However, the thing that worries me the most is that ending. It's very cool in the moment - after being told for the whole game that your choices don't matter, your avatar/vessel/whatever straight-up throws you in a goddamn cage, and that's rad - but it has me worried that the game is going to dive into the capitol-m Mystery aspect more than Undertale did. The Gaster stuff was fantastic specifically because it was so sparse and vague. It was there, clearly meant to be discovered and discussed, but it was never a focus. Ending Deltarune's first chapter not on a character note but by yelling "turn on the theorizing machine!" seems risky? I dunno. I'm probably not giving him enough credit.

Regardless, the wait for whatever comes next will fucking destroy me.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Lab Zero managed to release a PS4 early preview of their upcoming game while it was still in crowdfunding phase, so I guess there is prior art to this sort of event happening, at least on PlayStation.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking...
In Undertale there's a really heavy running theme of forgiving people who have committed wrongdoings, sometimes extremely grievous ones, so long as, in the end, their actions didn't cause permanent damage. The pacifist route requires you to forgive characters who deliberately attempt to kill you, but it's okay because they didn't actually have the ability to inflict lasting harm on you, since if they do kill you you'd just undo it by reloading the save. Even Asriel, who's guilty of having massacred most of the underground repeatedly including his own parents, is worthy of forgiveness because in the end he ended up not harming anyone at all. The game will even forgive you for almost anything you do if you reset things back they way they were and do it right. The only two times anyone is not forgiven is Asgore for having killed six other children and you if you sell your soul after letting the entire world be destroyed, both acts that can't possibly be undone in the confines of the game.

Anyway, the reason I bring all this up is that I was noticing that Deltarune seems to come at it from the opposite perspective. Kris has done nothing for seemingly their whole life to endear themselves to the other people in town, but just by opening up a little bit to them, they find people willing to look past all that to be their friend, their mentor, their confidant, their extended family. Deltarune is handling the whole pacifism vs violence with more shades of gray than Undertale, so I'm interested to see how it handles the whole forgiveness theme as it goes on. Though King was ultimately defeated nonviolently with no lasting harm done, his actions of threatening to murder his own son and betraying the party's trust after being spared (something you can do yourself in Undertale and notably the only way in the entire game to make Toriel hate you) are definitely made out to be unforgivable to the point that even Ralsei questions his own worldview afterwards. I'm interested to see how the story will handle Toriel and Asgore's relationship, since it's unknown what led to their separation this time, and it's implied to have caused Kris and Asriel a lot of pain.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about how Deltarune scans for an Undertale save and I believe at some point, in the main game, it'll probably connect both worlds somehow and the way it'll turn out will probably depend on which ending you got in UT. That'd be pretty cool.
Don't know if this has been brought up here before, but I really liked this:

tumblr_pienr0o77k1xlxftuo1_540.jpg

tumblr_pienr0o77k1xlxftuo2_540.jpg

tumblr_pienr0o77k1xlxftuo3_400.png
This is great.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Btw, does someone test what happens if you put the well-known names of Deltarune in Undertale?

I am very curious to see if indeed Toby Fox had a clear vision of his games even back then who even put unique text for these games.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Btw, does someone test what happens if you put the well-known names of Deltarune in Undertale?

I am very curious to see if indeed Toby Fox had a clear vision of his games even back then who even put unique text for these games.
I tried entering Kris in Undertale and it didn't get any reaction.

More interestingly though, I spent a bunch of time entering various names into Deltarune to see which ones got a reaction and it actually showed an interesting pattern regarding what names the voice in the opening recognized.
The voice knew the names of all the light world characters I tried, even ones mentioned but not present in Hometown (like Asriel) or present but not named (like Papyrus), except for Mettaton. However, Undertale-only names like Frisk didn't get any reaction at all, and the voice didn't know the names of any Darkner characters, even Ralsei or Jevil.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I semi-hate to post Game Theory because I have such a love/hate relationship with it but the latest video on Deltarune presented ideas I haven't thought of

Mainly that Ralsei isn't Kris's "goatsona" to be more like their family, but instead a lot more simply just another representation of Asriel who is dependent on Kris on won't leave him. And that the "Knight" might actually be Asriel himself, or in this case another representation of Asriel but the current older one. I just assumed it would be Gaster due to Seam's dialogue. It's an interesting possibility. Some ideas like "Kris not wanting to go into the closet cause bad memories" doesn't really work at all cause, they went into the closet and came out in the other room, they just seemed legitimately weirded out. Also I hate when some people have been saying "it's not real", I think it's "real" in a sense that they truly were in that world and something is causing reality to warp in such a way, it's just that it's based off the location and people who go into it. I do think the game will end with Asriel coming home and it being a big moment.

Also it currently doesn't touch the Gaster portion and the opening.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Seeing the merchs, I was wondering if there is a secret like similar happened with Doki Doki Literature Club merchs (won't spoil anything and please DON'T see the merchs if you want play the game).

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Is it 2025 yet?

I keep obsessing over the personality of a minor character because
Unlike every other Undertale character I can think of, Clover's overall personality gimmick has been done in a game before, and the game it was done in previously was one of my favorites LOL.

And then there's the fact that said game came out like a month before the file dates of the early draft Deltarune script we were shown are dated, which uh

CLOVER IS HEWDRAW

CLOVER IS HEWDRAW

CLOVER IS HEWDRAW

maybe

I appreciate this parallel.

Their press conferences the past few years have been pretty insufferable, but...

Absolver
Hatoful Boyfriend
Okhlos
Crossing Souls
The Swords of Ditto
Titan Souls
Downwell
The Red Strings Club
Dropsy
Stories Untold
Gods Will Be Watching
Minit
Pikuniku
The Talos Principle
Blockhood
Reigns
Dungeon Hearts
OlliOlli + 2
Spaceplan

That's roughly half their catalog (maybe a bit more than half), none of which really fit the style you're suggesting. (I even left off a few that could be borderline.)

hnhdnh63gyi49khyerh3.gif

... What I don't appreciate, however, is bashing Chief Synergy Officer Nina Struthers. But yeah. She's less indicative of the company being "edgy" overall & more the company trying to be "counter culture," with those skits parodying E3.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the OST. GODLIKE just like with UnderTale's OST. Chaos King track is fucking amazing.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
In cool news, my Deltarune merch from Fangamer finally came in

It looks super nice and the material feels good too.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago

Listened to Hyper Potions' cover of Friendship again today. It's pretty great.

I never would have thought I'd be on board with a follow-up to Undertale that was even slightly related to it, but I'm really damn happy that Deltarune exists, and I'll be incredibly excited to see whatever comes next.

Apr 19, 2018
Speaking of great arrangements, ToxicEternity has some awesome metal covers up, including Battle Theme/Rude Buster, Chaos King, and most recent, Field of Hopes and Dreams:

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Nintendo has released a Deltarune interview with Toby! Here's an imgur link for people who don't have a Switch:

https://imgur.com/a/2RYK4SO (source)

The most interesting part to me is his comment about the ending he's working towards. Apparently it came to him in a fever-dream. Programming for the next chapters is still at 0% by the way.

FVmpjtj.png

Also, we got lots of new concept art from the interview! Here's a direct link to the japanese version of the interview, since that's an accessible webpage: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/0e438e10-2b35-11e9-b104-0a6d14145cb1.html

And here's an imgur album of all the art: https://imgur.com/a/RAGPXJB

The official site has also been updated. https://www.deltarune.com/

Especially interesting is the new FAQ. With again, a comment related to that ending...

Q: How many endings are there?

A: One.

Q: Then doesn't that mean nothing I do matters?

A: There's something more important than reaching the end.