• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit.

via Washington Post:

Democrat Shelly Simonds emerged from the recount as the apparent winner in the 94th District of the House of Delegates on Dec. 19, seizing the seat from Republican incumbent David Yancey. (WAVY News 10)

NEWPORT NEWS — The balance of power in Virginia's legislature turned on a single vote in a recount Tuesday that flipped a seat in the House of Delegates from Republican to Democratic, leaving control of the lower chamber evenly split.

The outcome, which reverberated across Virginia, ends 17 years of GOP control of the House and forces Republicans into a rare episode of power sharing with Democrats that will refashion the political landscape in Richmond.

(More at link)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This was surprising. I worked a lot in Newport News back in the day, particularly in their tiny little research/tech sector. It has been considered solidly Democrat territory for a long, long time, so it's nice to see that district flipping The House'.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I think a lot of left-aligned folks are beginning to realize we can't just rely on the federal government to take care of everything, we need to be involved at every level of government, from local on up. And also realizing *shock* our votes actually matter.
Now, I think a lot of us not voting is also convenience. There are still a lot of areas where it's harder for people on the left to actually get to the polls, or even be allowed to vote (ID laws anyone?) so I don't blame those people.

At any rate, as a Virginian, this is a relief. It'd be better to have more Dems/DemSocs/progressive types in the HoD, but a balance is at least fair.

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_inline_or4ph2slO81u9ug09_540.gif

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
"When has a single vote mattered?"

Well take a look right here. In areas that need dem support, VOTE!

You may feel your vote is "wasted" because there's "no way a dem will be elected" in your area, but Alabama has shown this to not be true.
And Virginia has shown that a single vote DOES matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.