• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
maybe the 7 hour waits at insufficient polling stations had something to do with people who historically are poorer and have less free time than their elders not being able to get their vote out.

Gee, if only there was this crazy system that allowed you to mail in your ballot days or even weeks before the actual election. Nah, thats the stuff of science-fiction, there...

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
alright. Anyway, I just meant in general, that nothing like that should happen. In fact both Biden and Sanders should have left a message for the voters to not go vote, that staying at home is better than voting in the current situation. But I am assuming neither of them did it (one is afraid of completely losing the primaries, the other afraid of ressurecting the opponent...). This was the time for the 'party unity', they should have united to not vote and stay home.
People don't want to give up their democratic right to vote, and if the states are going to hold it anyways....

They should have gone 100% mail ballot like the DNC was recommending.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, people don't understand who actually runs the elections.

Bernie's coalition doesn't show up and vote. That's on them.
Yeah, Biden supporters tend to be older and are way more at risk of experiencing serious symptoms of the virus. Young people don't get out and fucking vote and seemingly nothing will change that. If you don't like that Bernie lost (I'm a Bernie supporter btw) it's almost 100% on certain demographics not showing up at the polls. It's hard to pin his loss on a bigger bad guy.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Well it still sounds empty just now whining about something you don't know about
Gosh if only there were weeks of early voting.
sure would be a shame if efforts to get early voting ballots out to as many people as possible were routinely supressed.

Anyways, all of you quoting me like you think I was trying to change your clearly entrenched views can chill out.

All I was wryly expressing is that I believe the democratic party is incompetent and ineffectual in its current form.

If you want to change my mind then do it by getting them to beat trump with their presumed candidate.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
sure would be a shame if efforts to get early voting ballots out to as many people as possible were routinely supressed.

Anyways, all of you quoting me like you think I was trying to change your clearly entrenched views can chill out.

All I was wryly expressing is that I believe the democratic party is incompetent and ineffectual in its current form.

If you want to change my mind then do it by getting them to beat trump with their presumed candidate.

Democratic party doesn't even run these primaries. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Or maybe it's the decades of political stagnation that the older generations have voted for time and time again that makes young people feel like there's no point in voting. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

Why is it always every excuse under the sun and not the simple obvious truth that young people don't give a fuck?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

We're not trying to change your anything. We're just pointing and laughing at you and your hilariously inept logic.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Or maybe it's the decades of political stagnation that the older generations have voted for time and time again that makes young people feel like there's no point in voting. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.
So why wouldn't they go out and vote for the man providing a political revolution? Come on.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
maybe the 7 hour waits at insufficient polling stations had something to do with people who historically are poorer and have less free time than their elders not being able to get their vote out.
The 7 hour waits were because Republicans closed polling locations.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
So why wouldn't they go out and vote for the man providing a political revolution? Come on.
Because they've checked out of the process entirely and don't pay attention to politics at all.

Edit: There's only so much Sanders can do when there's a constant stream of video games and reality tv just waiting to be consumed. I don't think younger generations are quite yet ready to confront the grim reality that they're facing.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
only old people know how to use the mail

I'm not one to be all "kids these days" but working at the UPS store has proven to me that most people don't know how to use the mail. Younger people more often. I once had someone fill out there envelope with just someone's name and a City (no state) written diagonal across the back of an envelope.

It took them a while to understand why that wouldn't work and even almost did it wrong after I explained to them twice.

With older people is usually them just not understanding how many stamps they need, or thinking just a single postage stamp will allow a 10-pound package to be delivered. Though once in a while I do have to explain the whole thing to them as well.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
And as a political candidate, its Sander's JOB to get his ass out there and motivate them and get them interested. If he can't due that, the fault lies with him.
Well shit, at least he tried. You all give him shit for not turning out younger voters but he's the only one trying and the only one who gives a shit. Biden's relationship with younger folks is egregious and ya'll should be criticizing him for not trying harder to connect with them.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, another great night for Biden! And his address struck just the right note.

Time to pivot to the general--- really hoping he doesn't blow it with his VP pick. Really hoping it's not Klobs...

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
With what leverage? Had he dropped out after Super Tuesday, he'd have a ton. No one expected Biden to crush him this badly, and Bernie dropping out that early to put peace of mind for Biden's camp would give him some cards to play with.

Now? What can he threaten them with?
So he has no leverage yet he should drop out? If he has no leverage then him staying in doesn't mean anything. Him not dropping out isn't a big deal.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the time to drop out while still maximizing leverage was last Wednesday after Michigan
He probably could've gotten away with dropping out after the debate. Probably maximum leverage from that.
So he has no leverage yet he should drop out? If he has no leverage then him staying in doesn't mean anything. Him not dropping out isn't a big deal.
There are other concerns at this point then him damaging Biden.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, at least he tried. You all give him shit for not turning out younger voters but he's the only one trying and the only one who gives a shit. Biden's relationship with younger folks is egregious and ya'll should be criticizing him for not trying harder to connect with them.

Biden didn't try to go for the youth vote because his campaign knows they don't vote. Instead he focused on those Dems groups that do, older voters and ESPECIALLY black voters. You know, the ones Sanders ignored twice in row now and lost twice in a row now?

It was Sander's asinine idea to try and court a demographic that had never shown up barring the aberration that was Obama. And he failed. He doesn't get a pass from me because "he tried."

This poster said it better than I ever could.

Bernie is currently taking donations in the middle of a pandemic and approaching a massive recession for a race he has zero chance of winning. Dude can fuck right off.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I'm confused. Sorry. Bernard has no leverage and can't push policy. He's insignificant and has no way of changing anything. Yet he should drop out?

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
They never checked in to begin with. Every generation doesn't give a damn about politics until they're older. This one isn't any different.
Yes, yes.. semantics and all that jazz. But seriously Sanders doesn't deserve all the flak he's getting here for trying to connect with younger voters and get them to turn out. Obviously he wasn't successful, but he deserves credit for trying. Young turnout is a huge problem and there is very clearly a systemic issue when they are voting in such small numbers. There could be any number of reasons younger folks don't vote and I doubt it has a whole lot to do with stuff that is within their control.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Other than dragging out a losing campaign and asking for donations while endangering people thanks to a global pandemic. I fail to see the benefit in staying in.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, yes.. semantics and all that jazz. But seriously Sanders doesn't deserve all the flak he's getting here for trying to connect with younger voters and get them to turn out. Obviously he wasn't successful, but he deserves credit for trying. Young turnout is a huge problem and there is very clearly a systemic issue when they are voting in such small numbers. There could be any number of reasons younger folks don't vote and I doubt it has a whole lot to do with stuff that is within their control.
If he wanted to enact his policies, he should not have tried for the youth vote, honestly.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
If he wanted to enact his policies, he should not have tried for the youth vote, honestly.
he should've invested more time attempting to gain more support from black voters as well

it's hard to beat biden on that front, but it could've reduced how much of a pile-on effect some states had in boosting biden

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017
Other than dragging out a losing campaign and asking for donations while endangering people thanks to a global pandemic. I fail to see the benefit in staying in.
How is he endangering lives? He is constantly pushing Biden and the narrative on M4A. That's absolutely important at a time like this. As a person who currently donates, this is a major reason why I do, to get this policy into the hearts and minds of the population. Trying to get something that would benefit the people.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
he should've invested more time attempting to gain more support from black voters as well

it's hard to beat biden on that front, but it could've reduced how much of a pile-on effect some states had in boosting biden

Out of every bit of criticism, this I'll agree on the most, it's disappointing he didn't make more of an effort here and that has been his Achilles heel twice.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Giving Bernie credit for trying to connect with a useless demo (that I'm a part of), in a race where you need people that actually vote...nah. He tailored his campaign towards gen y&z and they still ghosted him. 🤷‍♂️

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Biden didn't try to go for the youth vote because his campaign knows they don't vote. Instead he focused on those Dems groups that do, older voters and ESPECIALLY black voters. You know, the ones Sanders ignored twice in row now and lost twice in a row now?

It was Sander's asinine idea to try and court a demographic that had never shown up barring the aberration that was Obama. And he failed. He doesn't get a pass from me because "he tried."
Did I say that Sanders trying to reach out to youth voters and get them to turnout was a good electoral strategy? All I'm trying to say here is that the lack of youth turnout is a real systemic issue in our country, it's really quite unacceptable and shitting on them for not voting is not productive. I don't know what you mean when you say he doesn't "get a pass" from you, but Sanders has shone a light on this issue and that is absolutely deserving of credit.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

Those lines are mostly for same day registration. More can be done, but it isn't a simple solution, and isn't the largest reason why young people don't turn out to vote.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Giving Bernie credit for trying to connect with a useless demo (that I'm a part of), in a race where you need people that actually vote...nah. He tailored his campaign towards gen y&z and they still ghosted him. 🤷‍♂️
I mean clearly he failed to connect with them in a way that got them to turnout in the numbers he needed. But lack of youth turnout is a systemic issue and Sanders shining a light on that is objectively a good thing.

Edit: Any maybe they wouldn't be useless if, you know, we could get them to vote. If they had turned out in slightly greater numbers in 2016 Clinton would likely be our president right now.

But yeah, fuck those useless kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.