• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden was consistently polling +40 in Florida and +20 in IL, AZ and OH.

If anything, the depressed turnout will HELP Bernie Sanders considering Biden is the candidate turning out people in this primary.

You think it's the old people looking for an excuse not to vote?

These elections are a sham, but it's not going to help Sanders. They really need to be canceled, but can't be for reasons we aren't allowed to elaborate on

THube

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so genuinely lost here so please help me out... I can't tell if people in this thread are advocating for Biden's base to risk getting sick or if it's just a "what happens happens" sort of thing (not that that's any better...)

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
We'll never know. I would like to see how things would have gone without media interference.
Before super Tuesday the media was saying at worst Bernie would have a minimum 50 delegate lead if not a insurmountable lead at the end of the night. Media ain't the reason he shit the bed, him making the same mistakes he did in 16 is why he is doing worse then he did then.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yes, automatic voter registration ala Booker's electoral reform proposals would indeed be nice. But, really, you shouldn't aim at the youth if you want to win and you should also realize that the youth who don't vote aren't as ideologically aligned with the ones that do as you hope.

Sure. I don't mean this as a matter of partisanship. I just think that putting this on the youth when the structural barriers are intentionally in place to keep them from voting is too victim-blame-y for my liking.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll never know. I would like to see how things would have gone without media interference.
Bernie's issues with bleeding white voters from his 2016 coalition while not making inroads elsewhere were evident in the 2019 polling literally a year ago. The media didn't cause those trends to exist in the first place.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What could possibly change the dynamic of the primary race? Nothing big is going on atm.

People saying there's no chance anything will change are just wishcasting or running on their pre-corona primary script.
I'm so genuinely lost here so please help me out... I can't tell if people in this thread are advocating for Biden's base to risk getting sick or if it's just a "what happens happens" sort of thing (not that that's any better...)
Kill grandma to own the leftists.

Oct 27, 2017

There are some very myopic people in this thread but the fault lies with Biden's social media and surrogates spreading disinfo about how the virus transmits, if we're talking about Biden's base specifically anyway.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's hard to beat this drum when the same media declared Bernie the winner ahead of SC. Positive media wasn't his problem

Bernie's campaign itself says they never intended to appeal to more than 1/3 of the primary electorate. That's not a media problem, its a strategy problem

Aug 12, 2019
I think it's hard to beat this drum when the same media declared Bernie the winner ahead of SC. Positive media wasn't his problem

Bernie's campaign itself says they never intended to appeal to more than 1/3 of the primary electorate. That's not a media problem, its a strategy problem

They were "calling him the winner" while simultaneously freaking the fuck out over that fact telling people he "wasn't vetted" or that "we're going to lose the House and any chance of gaining the Senate with him as the nominee (based on nothing at the time)" or making outrageous comparisons to Nazi Germany as Bernie did well.

There's an extremely clear difference in treatment of Bernie as the front runner and Biden as the front runner. Come on now.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With a heavy sigh and nazi comparisons, but yep, they were all about him.

If you think Chris Matthews (or Chuck Todd) represented the overall media impression, I feel your view is very distorted

They were "calling him the winner" while simultaneously freaking the fuck out over that fact telling people he "wasn't vetted" or that "we're going to lose the House and any chance of gaining the Senate with him as the nominee (based on nothing at the time)" or making outrageous comparisons to Nazi Germany as Bernie did well.

There's an extremely clear difference in treatment of Bernie as the front runner and Biden as the front runner. Come on now.

Biden was the front runner since 2019 and was immediately thrown under the bus and left for dead (before but especially after Iowa). I don't think there is clear difference let alone an extremely clear one

Bernie hurting the House/Senate are real concerns raised by the people closest to those races -- members of the house and senate. That's not media bias

Aug 12, 2019
If you think Chris Matthews (or Chuck Todd) represented the overall media impression, I feel your view is very distorted

Biden was the front runner since 2019 and was immediately thrown under the bus and left for dead (before but especially after Iowa). I don't think there is clear difference let alone an extremely clear one

Bernie hurting the House/Senate are real concerns raised by the people closest to those races -- members of the house and senate. That's not media bias

Biden was thrown under the bus because he placed in 4th and 5th in the first two primaries and they had a shiny new moderate in Buttigieg to parade around. The media coverage wanted a winning moderate and they were going to start throwing their full weight behind whoever performed well against Sanders.

Bernie hurting the House/Senate wasn't based on anything factual and wasn't based on any data when he was the frontrunner. It was blatant fearmongering from the establishment in full panic mode.

Also, headlines like this exist and you're going to say his media coverage wasn't distorted in at least some ways:

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 Week): Violating the staff post with regards to coronavirus concern trolling in the Primary OT
You keep saying this. Where is your evidence?

This was posted two days ago. It could possibly be poor wording, but they didn't delete and repost even after hundreds of people pointed out that it's spreading false information. "If you are feeling healthy, not showing symptoms, and not at risk of being exposed to COVID-19" is fucking DANGEROUS, the way its worded implies that there is a demographic not at risk of being exposed to COVID-19.

"...the CDC, and ??? have said it's safe out there for Tuesday..."

Not true.

Your concern trolling is tiring, Biden's Twitter does not have the reach you think it does

The exact same copy was posted on Biden's Facebook page and the above clip is from cable news but thank you for your concern about my concern. If it was only on Twitter I guess posting deadly misinfo would be fine though since less people would see it.

Veitsev

Nov 18, 2019
Fort Worth, Texas

This was posted two days ago. It could possibly be poor wording, but they didn't delete and repost even after hundreds of people pointed out that it's spreading false information. "If you are feeling healthy, not showing symptoms, and not at risk of being exposed to COVID-19" is fucking DANGEROUS, the way its worded implies that there is a demographic not at risk of being exposed to COVID-19.

"...the CDC, and ??? have said it's safe out there for Tuesday..."

Not true.

The exact same copy was posted on Biden's Facebook page and the above clip is from cable news but thank you for your concern about my concern. If it was only on Twitter I guess posting deadly misinfo would be fine though since less people would see it.

Thanks for that. Clearly that is bad information from the Biden campaign.

Here is the issue people have though. Bernie is running in an election that he can't win. He is campaigning and opening field offices in an election he can't win. He is advertising and collecting donations in an election he can't win. Your issue is that Biden's campaign is giving out bad information about the virus and telling people to go out and vote. Fair enough. However Sanders continuing this campaign is implicitly sending the message to go out and vote. He could end this at any time. This is why you are getting people here accusing you of concern trolling. Yes that tweet is bad but the existence of Sanders zombie campaign is a far far bigger signal to get out and vote then a tweet.

Do you think Sanders participated in Sunday's debate, opened field offices, spent money on ads, collected donations, etc but didn't expect people to go out and vote?

THube

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I mean what are you expecting, tell them to say home and not vote? I don't see Sanders doing that even with his less than zero chance of victory.

"If you are feeling healthy, not showing symptoms, and not at risk of being exposed to COVID-19: please vote on Tuesday. " is horrible advice for anyone to be giving and you know it. People can and do transmit it without showing symptoms, and in this case, the risk IS going to the polls.

Has Bernie called for the primaries to be postponed? Because if he hasn't there isn't anything to discuss.

:S

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean what are you expecting, tell them to say home and not vote? I don't see Sanders doing that even with his less than zero chance of victory.
Has Bernie called for the primaries to be postponed? Because if he hasn't there isn't anything to discuss.
He's said he thinks it makes sense for them to be postponed, and his campaign has said to follow the cdc's recommendation on behavior despite the primaries.

But there's still nothing to discuss here because that won't matter, I'm sure.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah this is all a bit ridiculous. I'm not going to say whether or not Bernie should drop out, or Biden should be encouraging people to vote, (I have my own opinions on that matter), but Biden wouldn't be doing that if the primary was uncontested. If Bernie's going to insist on staying in and competing in primaries when it's too late to cancel or postpone them, he has no moral authority over Biden here.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Sanders participated in Sunday's debate, opened field offices, spent money on ads, collected donations, etc but didn't expect people to go out and vote?

Both campaigns should have pushed harder to get contests pushed back and I don't like that the Bernie team was actively campaigning in those states as of like... a week ago, but ultimately the onus is on the states and the DNC. The difference between Sanders and Biden on the public messaging regarding this is that the Sanders campaign never posted dangerous misinfo about it.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
The primaries absolutely should be postponed because there's more things in there other than whoever ends up being the presidential nominees. People who didn't early vote would like to vote on their local governments and issues and their state reps.

Absolutely zero reason not to postpone and allow people who planned to vote in person to get absentee ballots.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"If you are feeling healthy, not showing symptoms, and not at risk of being exposed to COVID-19: please vote on Tuesday. " is horrible advice for anyone to be giving and you know it. People can and do transmit it without showing symptoms, and in this case, the risk IS going to the polls.

:S

Okay and? I never disputed it was bad advice.

Also I really don't care about what Bernie or his campaign have to say about delaying elections where he would have gotten the shit kicked out of him.

His actions speak louder than some post debate comments.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I gloved up, voted and left within ten minutes. Nobody at the polling station was wearing gloves, every worker sat close to one another but there was virtually nobody there voting.

Really wish I hadn't gone, frankly.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
where did he say that?
check the post above mine that also quoted you
Okay and? I never disputed it was bad advice.

Also I really don't care about what Bernie or his campaign have to say about delaying elections where he would have gotten the shit kicked out of him.

His actions speak louder than some post debate comments.
so after being provided with the information you asked for, you admit that you didn't give a shit to begin with, yet you're calling other people concern trolls?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody would need to risk their health at a polling place if Bernie had dropped out when he no longer had a path.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I said it in the other thread, but having zombie primaries that aren't properly staffed seems like the worst of all worlds since tons of people won't get to vote but will still probably expose themselves to infection.

Seems like a delay would have been better. Really exposes how silly some of these states are.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
check the post above mine that also quoted you

so after being provided with the information you asked for, you admit that you didn't give a shit to begin with, yet you're calling other people concern trolls?

That is not in any way Sanders saying they should be postponed. Come on. If he truly felt they should be postponed he would have said so and he would have stopped campaigning.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Again, if he wanted them postponed he would have said so. Its very obvious to me what groundwork is being laid btw.

Edit- this was his full quote:

"That is a very good question, and as you know Louisiana, and Georgia, and Puerto Rico have delayed their elections. Postponed them, they've got dates in the future. Look, election dates are very very important we don't want to be getting into the habit of messing around with them. But you remember, and I just researched this, 9/11, you know there was a primary in New York City? Do you remember that?....
"....There was a primary. And it was canceled for obvious reasons in New York City and it was rescheduled two weeks later. I would hope that governors listen to the public health experts, and what they are saying as you just indicated, we don't want gatherings of more than 50 people. I'm thinking about some of the elderly people sitting behind the desks, registering people, doing all that stuff. Does that make a lot of sense? I'm not sure that it does."

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Bernie is really popular among people who won't vote for him.
Exactly. You have no idea how many friends I have with younger siblings who are either...
A) anywhere from a year to three years too young to vote.
or
B) don't even know when their primary is.
That young, "hip" demographic is Bernie's bread and Nutella.

Those that are old enough and aware of their primary aren't strong enough to wipe out the wave of grey haired soldiers on the frontline for Biden.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So we're about and hour from FL polls closing.

edit: nvm, it's 7pm

Last edited:

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Bernie only lost because of Coronavirus conspiracy winding up.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.