• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T0MBraider

Banned
Mar 4, 2020
I hope those "muh electability" voters are realising voting a candidate based on their connection to Obama was incredibly shortsighted.

Oct 27, 2017

Coronavirus: Broward poll workers test positive for COVID-19

One of the workers was only at Precinct V011 on Tuesday, March 17, Election Day, which is located at the Martin Luther King Community Center in Hollywood. The other worked at V020 at the David Park Community Center (also in Hollywood) as well as a Weston early voting location.

The supervisor said that county staff as well as other poll workers at the locations have been notified of the situation.

However, voters who were at the polls in person on March 17 at either of those locations or who voted early at the Weston early voting location may "wish to take appropriate steps and seek medical advice."

Seems pretty bad. I'm starting to think that lying to voters and telling them the CDC said it was safe to go vote on the 17th was a big mistake.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
It's no longer just Hillary Clinton whom the betting markets feel has a better shot than Sanders at becoming the Democratic nominee. Now Cuomo is higher.

ANDREW CUOMO OVERTAKES BERNIE SANDERS IN ODDS TO BE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE AMID NEW YORK GOVERNOR'S PANDEMIC RESPONSE

An average of recent betting odds compiled by Real Clear Politics shows Cuomo with a 5.6 percent chance of becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, while Sanders trails with an average of 3.6 percent. Biden is far ahead however, with an average of 85.8 percent, while former 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who is not seeking the party's nomination, places second with an average of 6.3 percent​

Hilarious and sad at the same time since people still think Sanders has a shot and should stay in.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
It's no longer just Hillary Clinton whom the betting markets feel has a better shot than Sanders at becoming the Democratic nominee. Now Cuomo is higher.

ANDREW CUOMO OVERTAKES BERNIE SANDERS IN ODDS TO BE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE AMID NEW YORK GOVERNOR'S PANDEMIC RESPONSE

An average of recent betting odds compiled by Real Clear Politics shows Cuomo with a 5.6 percent chance of becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, while Sanders trails with an average of 3.6 percent. Biden is far ahead however, with an average of 85.8 percent, while former 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who is not seeking the party's nomination, places second with an average of 6.3 percent​

Hilarious and sad at the same time since people still think Sanders has a shot and should stay in.
Democrats are so fucking stupid. Cuomo has had the worst response compared to Inslee, Newsom, Prizker, etc

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

This is the kind of thing that depresses me about the Biden pick. Bernie has been great to the Muslim community but Biden doesnt give a flying fuck about us. The fact that neither he or anyone on his campaign thought that having a right wing modi bootlicker as his Muslim outreach coordinator would be problematic is the thing that pisses me off the most. I would have been fine if he didnt have someone at all but this just feels like a spit in our face.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Man, really sad how so many Americans just want the status quo instead of actual progressive policies. When you have people wanting fucking Hillary Clinton over Bernie, you know there's a fucking issue with American politics. Progress feels so slow in this country sometimes.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Use the coronavirus as an excuse to do a nationwide online vote. It's a golden opportunity to throw out the entire hilariously outdated and useless system of disjointed primaries and caucuses for something that actually works, and if anyone whinges about how no one will ever care about Indiana or New Hampshire ever again, you can just tell them to kick rocks because it's for public safety.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Use the coronavirus as an excuse to do a nationwide online vote. It's a golden opportunity to throw out the entire hilariously outdated and useless system of disjointed primaries and caucuses for something that actually works, and if anyone whinges about how no one will ever care about Indiana or New Hampshire ever again, you can just tell them to kick rocks because it's for public safety.
DEAR GOD ONLINE VOTING IS A BAD IDEA.

voting_software.png

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The issues here are twofold, I think.

First, the national vote component. If you had to simultaneously run in every state at once like a general election campaign, you'd need a general election campaign's resources, or else to be so well-known people push the button for you by default. We'd be shutting a lot of people out.

Second, we really haven't solved the online voting security problems. Hell, we haven't solved in-person digital voting tools' security problems. Online is like that but worse.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
yes, online voting, combined with anonymous voting meaning verification is impossible, NOPE.

paper ballots only. yes, its painful but we cannot secure online systems.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Then at least swap to universal mail-in, if you're really that concerned about online voting. (I honestly don't think online is inherently any more fallible or corruptible than offline; not because online is "safe" but rather because people are operating under massive misapprehensions about how accurate and protected offline voting is.)

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Then at least swap to universal mail-in, if you're really that concerned about online voting. (I honestly don't think online is inherently any more fallible or corruptible than offline; not because online is "safe" but rather because people are operating under massive misapprehensions about how accurate and protected offline voting is.)

i dont think thats true. online voting, how do you vet the code, how do you keep it from malfunctioning or maliciously changing the vote?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
i dont think thats true. online voting, how do you vet the code, how do you keep it from malfunctioning or maliciously changing the vote?

How do you keep the humans doing recounts from lying, doctoring records, or just being tired and inattentive? Doing physical audits of their work is wildly impractical and just raises the further question of, "Who audits the auditors?"

There are vulnerabilities to online elections. There are vulnerabilities to physical elections. It's likely the prior are not actually that much more severe or difficult to mitigate than the latter. It honestly reminds me of when online banking first started to be a thing and everyone was terrified their money would get hacked.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
How do you keep the humans doing recounts from lying, doctoring records, or just being tired and inattentive? Doing physical audits of their work is wildly impractical and just raises the further question of, "Who audits the auditors?"

There are vulnerabilities to online elections. There are vulnerabilities to physical elections. It's likely the prior are not actually that much more severe or difficult to mitigate than the latter. It honestly reminds me of when online banking first started to be a thing and everyone was terrified their money would get hacked.

In Florida at least, both parties supervise and monitor election offices with on the ground personnel to ensure no funny business. It was a big thing in 2018 when the results came down to the wire.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
In Florida at least, both parties supervise and monitor election offices with on the ground personnel to ensure no funny business. It was a big thing in 2018 when the results came down to the wire.

They have those measures in Florida now because of how hilariously and notoriously unreliable the physical voting there became.

Like I said, both systems have flaws that can be addressed through various mitigations. Mitigating the flaws in an online system honestly seems far more practical and with a far greater payoff than dumping ever-more time, money, and effort into trying to shore up our antiquated system.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Use the coronavirus as an excuse to do a nationwide online vote.
Is it possible one day to develop a system ala online banking? Sure. Over the course of a long multi-year development with massive testing.

Is it possible to develop it in 50 states individually within 5 months (remember, each state controls their voting systems independently of one another, states would would all contract their own differing process and staffs as they now)?

And not to mention pass laws before this to get the process started. Uh.....I would hope you'd know the answer to that.

If we want secure online voting a more viable target election would be 2028.

Last edited:

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
While I think this would be a good idea, considering how well gerrymandering works, the political parties already know who you're statistically likely to vote for based on where you live. I can already imagine a world where we wake up to hearing about how thousands (or more) ballots were trashed (whether by political parties or activist postal workers).

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Warren not even waiting until her ostensible friend and fellow progressive Bernie officially loses for her to start gearing up her "grassroots" organization for 2024.

Really puts a cherry on top of her campaign, which started out very well, but became incredibly narcissistic by the end.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
So our 2024 lineup is looking like:

Biden's VP (Kamala? Abrams? Klobuchar?)
Warren
Cuomo
Pete

AOC will be old enough but I'm not sure if she wants to rush into a presidential election so young.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Warren not even waiting until her ostensible friend and fellow progressive Bernie officially loses for her to start gearing up her "grassroots" organization for 2024.

Really puts a cherry on top of her campaign, which started out very well, but became incredibly narcissistic by the end.

If it's between Team Warren and "Not me, us, but no actually me for as long as I can legally stay in" I'll happily go Team Warren.

Oct 25, 2017

Is this about her not dropping out early and endorsing Bernie Sanders? Nothing else makes sense, but I would be open to hearing your detailed explanation for the narcissist claim.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Last thing the Republicans want. They do best when the least amount of people vote, so making it easier is kryptonite for them.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Biden needs to drop the fuck out. This fucker is going to cost us the election. Piece of shit ghoul.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The solutions we advocate for now can and should have a lasting impact on our economy and our government. America can come out of this crisis stronger than before — but only if we rally around bold solutions, rather than temporary fixes and short-term deals.

So when a greedy corporation is trying to rig the system and cheat working people, we'll speak out.

When Democrats are running on strong progressive values, we'll shine a spotlight on them.
I fail to see the problem?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
AOC will be old enough but I'm not sure if she wants to rush into a presidential election so young.

AOC may run into one of the same problems that Hillary Clinton did - she showed the Republicans that she was a real threat early enough that by the time she's ready to run, they'll have years or decades of fan fiction out in the wild to build a message against her with.

She'll make one hell of a Speaker of the House or Cabinet Secretary, though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
AOC may run into one of the same problems that Hillary Clinton did - she showed the Republicans that she was a real threat early enough that by the time she's ready to run, they'll have years or decades of fan fiction out in the wild to build a message against her with.

She'll make one hell of a Speaker of the House or Cabinet Secretary, though.

That's why she should go for Senate. Get a bigger public profile, get more legislation under her belt, and then Go for Prez in 2028 or 2032.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Is this about her not dropping out early and endorsing Bernie Sanders? Nothing else makes sense, but I would be open to hearing your detailed explanation for the narcissist claim.

Sure it's partly about that, not endorsing her ostensible idiological ally Sanders, and instead seemingly opting to position herself for 2024, but also partly lol naming your "movement" after yourself (good grief).

Though beyond those two things, IMO I see this as the cherry on top of a pattern of self serving behaviour from her and her campaign where a campaign that started out as apparently being about new ideas and big structural change seemed to turn into a vehicle wholly about making Liz Warren President. Personally that is something that's really turned me off her.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
You're upset that a presidential campaign was a vehicle to try to make the candidate become president. Lol.

haha

The problem for me is when that goal of becoming president becomes the end to itself.

I mean the core question to every presidential candidate should be "why do you want to become president?" Some probable answers some of the candidates may have had could have been: "to implement a wealth tax", "implement Universal basic income!", "Stop Trump", or "Medicare for All".

"I want to become president so I'm president" is of course not a very good answer.

With Warren dropping out and declining to endorse anyone, regardless of how closely the other candidates' ideas aligned with her platform, and then seemingly organizing for 2024 (while the primary is still on!) , it makes you wonder, what was she really in this race for?

Oct 27, 2017
If Biden did, hypothetically, leave the race, there's no way a candidate whose campaign disenfranchised large swaths of the democratic electorate and can not make in-roads amongst its most reliable constituencies is getting handed the nomination. If Bernie Sanders wanted to make a case for himself, he should have started with a strategy that involved more than 30% of the the electorate. He had 4 years to do it and made no attempt whatsoever.

Even Michelle Obama would be a more likely/better option than him and we all know that she wants nothing to do with politics.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe she'll be able to do better than distant third in her own state next time.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm... Warren is up for re-election in 2024 for her Senate seat — probably doesn't have anything to do it with this.

Some of you all are fucking embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.