• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
General discussion guidelines

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, folks. Now we're playing for alllll the marbles. This OP will be briefer because frankly nobody read the first one anyway and I can't be assed.

Super Tuesday
Alright, the big one. Super Tuesday is March 3rd this year, and you'd better believe that people are watching it closely. Even more, even bigger states are participating in the first primary day in March, and it's a big reason why the goddamn campaign season has dragged on like it has. This year, we're getting Alabama, Arkansas, American Samoa (caucus), California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Maine (fuck Susan Collins), Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Vermont. That's a lot of delegates right up at the front. If you live there, remember to make sure you're registered and get out to vote!

Less Super Tuesday
And now to do it again! The 10th has voting for Democrats Abroad, Idaho, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Dakota, and Washington (the state, not the district). Just google the name of your primary and make sure you're registered, same as the others.

Smaller Primary Days (US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands)
Next up, we've got the US Virgin Islands (caucus) on the 12th, followed by the Guam and Northern Mariana Islands caucus on the 14th. Caucuses... ugh. Still, it's good to participate.

Well, it's Tuesday... again.
On the 17th, we've got another bundle! This time, it's Arizona, Florida, Illinois, and Ohio. Once more, if you live in any of these states, make sure to check your voter registration!

A moment of silence for those members of Era still stuck in Ohio before we proceed. My heart goes out to you, poor souls.

The Rest of the Month (Georgia, Puerto Rico)
From there on, we have Georgia on the 24th, and Puerto Rico on the 29th, and then we're done with March! By this point, most of the large, delegate-rich states will have been parceled out, but we've still got a ways to go until the convention. Plenty of time for folks to eat bans.

Discussion Guidelines
Official Staff Communication
Discussion guidelines are largely the same as the last thread, though we're clarifying a few things.

First and foremost: no hostility. No sniping, no trolling, no antagonizing. No assuming other people are being disingenuous. If you believe that these behaviors are on display, use the report button. Do not respond to them with your own hostility or try to clap back. Let the moderation team handle it, and please understand that not everything that bothers you is going to be actionable.

Second, no metacommentary. No unquoted "wow there's a lot of centrists/leftists/dirtbags in here" type posts. Certainly no quoted variant on that. The same applies for directly or indirectly calling out other communities. Again, if you have reason to believe that something untoward is happening, report it or PM a mod captain or I suppose myself. This can be difficult to discern without extensive experience in the topic, which not all mods have. Your reports on this are extremely valuable.

Third, try to avoid posting tweets without context or commentary. We would like to encourage people to actually engage with what they're posting, and zero-context tweets tend to be either due to posters rushing to be the first with news, or else trying to let Twitter users make their arguments for them. In either case, it clogs up the thread. This rule is less strictly enforced than the others with one notable excpetion: we're keeping a close eye out for anybody attempting to use people from underpriveleged groups as a bludgeon or shield. If a black user tells you that they took issue with something that you said, "but this black person on Twitter says it's okay" is not a valid response. That's dismissing racism (extrapolate out the terminology for people doing the same with LGBT issues, women's issues, etc.) and will be moderated as such.

Fourth, conspiracy theorizing is forbidden. To make it clear what this means, you can speak and speculate about bias, conflicts of interest, nepotism, all kinds of mundane ways that human nature can effect the process, but if you're alleging an actual organized conspiracy to rig or alter results, that's another matter.

You can make jokes, you can be enthusiastic about your candidate. Try to avoid putting down other peoples', as that kind of behavior tends to start fights, but we will not be moderating people simply for not liking something your favorite said or did. If you don't think they're being fair, you can of course try to address them without violating the above rules. If you do not believe you can address a post without breaking the rules, it's most likely time to use the report button or reach out to the team directly. I would also encourage everyone to make use of their ignore lists if it's become clear that a poster you dislike isn't crossing any lines. If other peoples' (non-hateful) political opinions bother you that much, it might be better to just stop seeing them.

We've introduced warnings into the ban escalation for this thread. The floor for a contextless tweet is a warning, to make sure nobody gets slapped with a week off for something normally never actioned. After that, and for more serious first offenses, you get a week off. Anybody who merits a second week off due to repeat offenses will instead be given a ban of 3 months or until July 22nd, 2020; whichever is longer.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you.

I do have empathy. But I just figure if I can pull myself out of minimum wage washing dishes. Living on my own from 16. Father in prison. Mother a suicidal drug addict.
If I can do that. I feel most of the others people who started where I did could as well if they put their mind and body to it.

Now, imagine doing all that but then contracting a debilitating medical condition OR imagine it not being so hard because proper support services existed for your mother. Your minimum wage was actually liveable and your union existed to protect your rights in the workplace and ensure proper benefits. Imagine that.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I don't see much of a difference legislatively from the Bernie or Biden. So if that's the case, why would I support someone I don't particularly like?
Maybe because one candidate is funded by small donations, the other is not. Unless you think the role of money in politics doesn't corrupt politicians. I think setting that standard going forward matters. Maybe because foreign policy matters?

Personally, I want my president to fight for positions I believe in. I believe in organized protests to put pressure on politicians. Maybe you don't believe that kind of pressure matters. I want my president to do everything in their power to change the country. Other candidates are just offering change by believing in their ability to some how change minds without putting outside political pressure on them.

And finally, if policy positions don't matter, then what the hell is the point in all of this? You're reducing this entire debate into a nothing burger where we vote based on, whoever is not Republican in a primary?

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
unlike the rest of my bernard brethen i'm actually pretty chill about super tuesday. those early voting numbers + bernie's ground game + the two day window + biden's increasingly obvious mental decline make me think he has it in the bag.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Nola

Because he has to expand his base if he wants to win this nomination. Nevada was a big step. SC was quite a bit of a setback. Jury is out on Tuesday, although it looks good overall. I voted for Bernie in the TX primary, which was a change for me from 2016 - it's not really about heightened standards for anyone in specific.

And yeah, other candidates have even more work to do. Never said they didn't.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cho Cho... Get on the Bern train fellow ERA...before this thread is locked, Warren will drop and will endorse Sanders... Book it

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Let's make it a Super Saiyan Tuesday for our boy Bernard.

tenor.gif

less

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go. Super Tuesday is going to be a fun and interesting day.

Oct 25, 2017
Ready to see Bernie do some huge numbers on Tuesday. I'm jazzed to be able to vote for him again. Hoping Virginia doesn't disappoint me for once.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Biden wanted to broker with a Progressive but not Bernie, Warren would probably be hoping for the VP nomination. Problem is, I think Biden and Bernie are friends too yes? Could totally see a Biden - Bernie ticket.
Thats like goku and vegeta teaming up before the frieza saga.

I mean sure its possible but piccolo/goku havent even killed raditz yet.

Would make for some interesting times though.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unlike the rest of my bernard brethen i'm actually pretty chill about super tuesday. those early voting numbers + bernie's ground game + the two day window + biden's increasingly obvious mental decline make me think he has it in the bag.
Complacency kills. I'm going to remain anxious until Bernie gets the nomination and no shenanigans happen. I really, really hope he pulls off a majority, even though his chances are at 28% in the most recent forecast (I think it was down from ~50% which was before the SC primary). A contested convention would be the death knell for the Democrats.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Warren Reminder:

Her only plan now is to siphon progressive voters from Sanders and hope that she somehow comes out on top during a brokered convention she's is aiming for.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Oh shit Florida votes on March 17? Here I was thinking it was on super Tuesday. Thanks for the info!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chaos Legion
You know as a millennial, what will destroy that energy? Pragmatism that at the end the movement did not cause a political revolution and he was essentially a generic D presidency.
A risk I'm willing to take. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. All social movements require a leap of faith, no results are ever guaranteed.

Mar 9, 2018
Enjoy this night, Joe lovers. But remember, every night ultimately transitions into day time.

When you go Joe, we go high, riding Birdie Sanders to the nomination and the presidency.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
And are you the one that we should look to to determine whether or not someone is "boring?" Liberals would've found both Clinton and Obama as "boring moderates" since they weren't advocating radical changes to the country overnight. Besides, "boring moderates" represent about 99% of the Democrats in congress and they've pushed through some decent policies in the last 20 years.
Again with the straw men, where did I state that boring is defined by how radical their proposals are? Enthusiasm is defined by their groundswell of support. And Bernie is the only one with it currently.

I think I made it pretty damn clear to both of you that enthusiasm need not be rooted in how left you are, but aside from Clinton, it has been difficult for Democrats to build enthusiasm by not appealing to some sect of the left of the party. Enthusiasm is also not a guarantee of success, problem is, lack of it has not ever been a recipe for success in over twenty years for Democrats. And with thing more polarized, appearing to moderates has never been more difficult. And you haven't really articulated why that would change today? Why Biden and his tepid support would suddenly shift to determined enthusiasm amongst key groups that would be sustainable relative to someone like Bernie that can rely on his already proven base of enthusiastic support?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Hudsoniscool said:
Thank you.

I do have empathy. But I just figure if I can pull myself out of minimum wage washing dishes. Living on my own from 16. Father in prison. Mother a suicidal drug addict.
If I can do that. I feel most of the others people who started where I did could as well if they put their mind and body to it.

I implore you to read things like https://www.forbes.com/sites/aparna...her-metric-of-economic-mobility/#5ccec8de6a7b to talk about the fact that you were extremely lucky to get out of that situation. While we all disagree with you on seemingly most major policies, I'm happy that you have succeeded. The thing is, for most people, that doesn't happen. Study after study shows this and I'd be happy to point you to more.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe because one candidate is funded by small donations, the other is not. Unless you think the role of money in politics doesn't corrupt politicians. I think setting that standard going forward matters. Maybe because foreign policy matters?

Personally, I want my president to fight for positions I believe in. I believe in organized protests to put pressure on politicians. Maybe you don't believe that kind of pressure matters. I want my president to do everything in their power to change the country. Other candidates are just offering change by believing in their ability to some how change minds without putting outside political pressure on them.

And finally, if policy positions don't matter, then what the hell is the point in all of this? You're reducing this entire debate into a nothing burger where we vote based on, whoever is not Republican in a primary?
Most of the Democratic candidates fight for positions that I do believe in though, to varying degrees.

Foreign policy definitely has a part and that's an argument for those so inclined. I maintain that while the President has the most say in foreign policy, it's foolhardy to believe that diplomacy is an easy task.

I think campaign financing needs an overhaul but not pushing the needle for me.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Now, imagine doing all that but then contracting a debilitating medical condition OR imagine it not being so hard because proper support services existed for your mother. Your minimum wage was actually liveable and your union existed to protect your rights in the workplace and ensure proper benefits. Imagine that.
Nothing would have stopped my mother from being a shit mom. My minimum wage was perfectly livable in California before having children. Though I do admit now that minimum wage has lagged in my area. Though it's finally climbing to 15 in California.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Is it mayor Pete's plan to force all citizens into military service after high school? I heard that from someone but that seams crazy to me.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing would have stopped my mother from being a shit mom. My minimum wage was perfectly livable in California before having children. Though I do admit now that minimum wage has lagged in my area. Though it's finally climbing to 15 in California.
And it would lag more under Republican leadership and total control. Just like your Cush union retirement plan.

How do you not grasp this?

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
So 3 candidates are now running to try to get a brokered convention because their individual campaigns can't get the job done against Bernie. I'm in awe of the Warren wrestling storyline like turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.