• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2016 the Republicans took the mask off

2020 Democrats are doing the same.

This primary has been pretty insulting so far.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
There's provisions in M4A saying that the employers have to give raises equal to the cost of healthcare for union members.

Sanders thought about this already.
Maybe he has but I don't think that anyone can say any of this is set in stone and take for granted that Sanders or Warren's (as she also had a plan to offset this) plan would make it through as is with no compromises. The second issue is that if you take healthcare out of a Union's hands they have less things to offer an employee and differentiate themselves from non-unionized employers.

Again, I don't think we can let a handful of Unions hold back the whole country so they can look better next to their peers this is just an issue we're going to be facing.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I was on the Warren hype train at the start of the election cycle, but her backtracking on M4A and now this is the nail in the coffin for me. Before all this, she had the benefit of aligning with Sanders platform policies for the most part while still appealing to moderates. After the above though, she's toast. I mean I'd still vote for her in the unlikely scenario that she gets the nom, but it's sad to see her sell out so quickly. I can't even see her as VP now given the bad blood between her and the Bernie campaign.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of big, more corporate unions oppose Medicare for All not because it would be bad for the workers they represent, but because it would be bad for them as institutions. Without being able to go to their rank and file members and say "look, we got you guys a healthcare package", they'd have to actually do more work and lobby for better conditions and pay instead.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Warren wants to go out of her way to solidify the absolute biggest drop in support/polling before she drops out for good, I guess. Her strategies continue to be, uh, ill-conceived.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warren has great policies, but has terrible political instincts. I'm not sure she could win a senate seat in a swing state. Own goal after own goal.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I was on the Warren hype train at the start of the election cycle, but her backtracking on M4A and now this is the nail in the coffin for me. Before all this, she had he benefit of aligning with Sanders platform policies for the most part while still appealing to moderates. After the above though, she's toast. I mean I'd still vote for her in the unlikely scenario that she gets the nom, but it's sad to see her sell out so quickly. I can't even see her as VP now given the bad blood between her and the Bernie campaign.
Yeah. She dropped down to my 2nd choice, though odds might be slim that she's still in it after Nevada. I don't think she would be Bernie's VP regardless. I think he'd go with someone significantly younger.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
A lot of big, more corporate unions oppose Medicare for All not because it would be bad for the workers they represent, but because it would be bad for them as institutions. Without being able to go to their rank and file members and say "look, we got you guys a healthcare package", they'd have to actually do more work and lobby for better conditions and pay instead.

I'm wondering in a well regulated working environment, do you even need unions at that point?

It seems unions starting becoming a stronger thing as capitalism started taking off, to counter balance the increased power corporations had.

If you had a well regulated working environment that mandated health care, mandated safety regulations, hours worked for the young and elderly, required pensions (and not 401k's), mandatory life insurance for death or serious injury, etc.. would unions even survive such a situation?

So, are they not simply fighting for their survival just like the billionaire class is against Bernie? Not that I agree with them, it's bullshit and again reeks of screw you got mine, but I can see why they would be opposed.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering in a well regulated working environment, do you even need unions at that point?

It seems unions starting becoming a stronger thing as capitalism started taking off, to counter balance the increased power corporations had.

If you had a well regulated working environment that mandated health care, mandated safety regulations, hours worked for the young and elderly, required pensions (and not 401k's), mandatory life insurance for death or serious injury, etc.. would unions even survive such a situation?

So, are they not simply fighting for their survival just like the billionaire class is against Bernie? Not that I agree with them, it's bullshit and again reeks of screw you got mine, but I can see why they would be opposed.

Well, if we lived in a communist utopia, unions would irrelevant at that point. But until then, yes, absolutely. Because as long as capitalists control the means of production, they will always be rewarded for stripping those rights away from workers. Not all at once, obviously, but slowly over the course of decades. That's what happened to pensions, the idea of guaranteed days off (remember when no one was open on Thanksgiving aside from essential services?), etc.

As long as the boss is making more money and has more freedom than the lowest paid employee, there's a need for unions. The problem becomes when the union ceases to be a rank and file run union that exists for the benefit of the employees, and becomes an organization in its own right that doesn't even bring any worker representation to the bargaining table and wants to rest on its laurels and cut deals in order to stay in power.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017

You would need unions in a country like ours where all your rights and regulations can be overturned in one election.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Imagine a whole world that is one big union. Creating some sort of community, possibly luxurious and in space.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
EQneSEPWAAANJKA

lmao

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

There is always a power imbalance between employer and worker, and unions to the best of their ability act as a check to that imbalance. If a well meaning government put into place many more protections for workers, it would have only happened due to pressure from unions. Similarly, in the case of unions getting the protections they desire, they still need to be around to maintain the existence of those protections for employers will always try and take them away.

The way to get rid of the need for unions does not exist in a capitalist society, even a regulated one. To get rid of unions you need to dissolve the concept of the employer altogether.

Though sometimes unions pull some heinous crap (ex: fighting against M4A or police unions shielding themselves from culpability after abusing citizens), they're a big net positive.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That statement from Warren is incredibly disappointing. People are going after Culinary because the union would rather throw the rest of America under the bus as long as it means they get to keep a bargaining chip that keeps its members loyal. If healthcare wasn't employer based they'd not need to use that in negotiations and they're less necessary as a union.

What is her position on M4A then?

Do you honestly not know or are you confused by her "affordable health care" line? Because she's stated her position.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks ya'll, wow a lot of reading to do, but just skimming the headlines and what Powdered Egg reported, I am definitely not supporting this guy. That police chief situation is bullshit. Be back in like an hour :)
Buttigieg has tons of stuff behind his back:

*He promised to give the "I can't breath" debacle top priority; then to skip a related Police meeting, for a high-profile donor's meeting.
*Not only he stood up for the polices involved, and then allowed the racist "Breath Easy" shirts to be sold. When questioned, he actually played the 2-sides card:

Buttigieg asserted that the two sides of the controversy were really not that divided after all. "They're being portrayed like they're on two different sides, but they're not even talking about the same thing,"
"We're talking about two different things. And one of those is the way that race is playing a role in our criminal justice system. And the other is about the safety of police officers who go out there every day and risk their lives. And I fear that we're being led down this path that you have to choose between being pro-minority/pro-equal rights and pro-police."

*He promised an external investigation for the Police firing in July, last year - nothing yet. There are 2 on going demands involving other cases of racism, which results should come after the Democratic nomination has finished.
*He promised an inclusive cabinet when Major, but they ended up being all white. Except for 3: Two of them where later fired (The Police and Fire Chiefs). The former allegedly done under pressure from his donors.
*His pro-Black people (Douglas plan) proposal was presented to 400 top community PoC leaders. Then he announced -without their approval-, that they all were giving him their endorsement. Even though that wasn't the case.
When asked? His team said that they had sent an email, asking them to "Opt out" of the list.

See a pattern yet?
His top Donors love to do Wine Cave meetings. A bit about the one he did in Napa:
The fundraiser in question took place Sunday at "Hall Wines," a property owned by Kathryn and Craig Hall, who are prolific Democratic Party donors.

Kathryn Hall was ambassador to Austria under President Bill Clinton, while Craig Hall is a real estate developer.
Craig Hall played a role in the 1980s savings and loans crisis, The Associated Press has reported. His firm was rescued by a $300 billion federal bailout and Hall eventually paid a $100 million settlement in 1993, according to the outlet.
Extra about the hosts, just for the sake of completionism:
Federal regulators had been zeroing in on a series of Hall's unpaid loans. To push back, the developer and bank operator turned to Wright, who was then ascending in the House leadership, to get them to back off, the AP reported at the time.

Wright held up legislation that would have given the struggling industry a $15 billion lifeline and told federal officials they had a "choice." A few days later, the regulator overseeing some of Hall's loans was replaced and the legislation moved forward.

Taxpayers eventually covered the cost of Hall's default while the developer's outreach to Wright played a central role in a congressional ethics investigation that toppled him from the speaker's office in 1989.
*Finally, and -I kid you not-, his Policy Directory is the one involved in the Donor's recruitment, calling them "Investments". The email allegedly used is: [email protected]

He is actually similar to Trump in a lot of points. Weak and conman, that don't mind to compromise and surround by corrupt people, for protection.
Trump would have plenty of ammunition to crash him, and once the national Black community learns about his past, there won't be much left.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is super naive to think Bernie can ride 26% in every state direct to the nomination. He needs to find a way to bring more people in or he won't be the nominee.

Its only going to get harder and harder for Bernie. Anyone dropping out (other than Warren and that's arguable) is a boon to the moderates and a blow to Bernie.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
It is super naive to think Bernie can ride 26% in every state direct to the nomination. He needs to find a way to bring more people in or he won't be the nominee.
They're not that naive. There's a reason why *certain* Bernie fans are harping on Warren supporters to switch

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017
So did they even specify what these "vicious attacks" were? Was it John Legend & Rob Delaney strongly disagreeing on twitter, or?

Also, lol

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Even then only a third of Warren supporters have Sanders as their second right now. Depending on how the rest of them split up it may not even be good for Bernie that Warren drops out.

There is still the misconception that Warren fans are just Bernie fans that want a woman candidate

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
At this point the chaos scenario in nevada would be a 1-2 finish for biden and steyer. the first two states defied the polling odds in a way for some candidates.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
corporate media is scared scared of bernie, they're attacking him and his supporters 24/7. they know the 3rd of march is coming

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg probably saw this indecisive crapfest from a mile out, that's why he want in when he did right?

Not only did he see it coming, he's actively spending truckloads of money to make his nomination possible.

If Biden comes roaring back in NV then this is over and he wins the nom pretty handily.

Biden roaring back is extremely good for Bernie.

If Biden tanks and drops out, Pete and Klob rise. Warren drops out soon after as she can't get either moderates/progressives. Pete and Klob fail to get any higher as minorities learn about their awful track records, but are strong enough with Biden/Warren gone that Bernie drops some wins and delegates. That's the path to Bloomberg's brokered convention.

The longer Biden stays healthy and in the race, the more dilute the moderate votes are, the more delegates Bernie can siphon and the more primaries he can win.

Status
Not open for further replies.