• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Why have some members of the Congressional Black Caucus endorsed Bloomberg? I don't understand.

Jun 20, 2019
I have no way of knowing the situation between Culinary Workers Union leadership and rank-and-file. They haven't actually endorsed anyone though, and that's telling to me.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Biden comes roaring back in NV then this is over and he wins the nom pretty handily.

If a Biden win means no Bloomberg I take it. I can vote for Biden. I won't vote for Bloomberg.

If things go to a Brokered convention, Bernie's one job is to stop Bloomberg at any cost, even if it means a threat to walk away and run 3rd party.

BTW a lot of unions don't support M4A because it takes power away from them, they usually negotiate sweetheart healthcare deals. Unions only care about their members (which is a good thing mostly, but sometimes bad). Also there's three types of unions in the US

Police unions (really bad)
Service sector unions (really good)
Trade unions (mixed bag, and I'm a member of one)

Last edited:

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no way of knowing the situation between Culinary Workers Union leadership and rank-and-file. They haven't actually endorsed anyone though, and that's telling to me.

Bernie's ground game and outreach has been fantastic so far... I hope he can reach out to the union members directly and cut through the bullshit. It would be incredibly satisfying for the union leadership to have their propaganda backfire

Jun 20, 2019
If a Biden win means no Bloomberg I take it. I can vote for Biden. I won't vote for Bloomberg.

If things go to a Brokered convention, Bernie's one job is to stop Bloomberg at any cost, even if it means a threat to walk away and run 3rd party.

BTW a lot of unions don't support M4A because it takes power away from them, they usually negotiate sweetheart healthcare deals. Unions only care about their members (which is a good thing mostly, but sometimes bad). Also there's three types of unions in the US

Police unions (really bad)
Service sector unions (really good)
Trade unions (mixed bag, and I'm a member of one)
Sanders has some ideas to address this. From the campaign website:
  • A fair transition to Medicare for All:Bernie will require that resulting healthcare savings from union-negotiated plans result in wage increases and additional benefits for workers during the transition to Medicare for All. When Medicare for All is signed into law, companies with union negotiated health care plans would be required to enter into new contract negotiations overseen by the National Labor Relations Board. Under this plan, all company savings that result from reduced health care contributions from Medicare for All will accrue equitably to workers in the form of increased wages or other benefits. Furthermore, the plan will ensure that union-sponsored clinics and other providers are integrated within the Medicare for All system, and kept available for members. Unions will still be able to negotiate for and provide wrap-around services and other coverage not duplicative of the benefits established under Medicare for All.
tl;dr: Force employers to make union members whole by matching elimination of negotiated health care plans with increases in wages.

Last edited:

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

tl;dr: Force employers to make union members while by matching elimination of negotiated health care plans with increases in wages.
New contract negotiations sound like a lot of work for union leaders. Much easier to endorse a moderate and ride the gravy train.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Bernie's ground game and outreach has been fantastic so far... I hope he can reach out to the union members directly and cut through the bullshit. It would be incredibly satisfying for the union leadership to have their propaganda backfire

Has it though? His ground game feels like it's more like dragging him just over the finish line.

Now that still matters-a lot even, he's easily the sole frontrunner in this thing now-but it's hard for me not to look at Iowa and see a tie and NH and think that Pete gets a decisive win out of there if Klobul Warming didn't happen out of nowhere. Sufficient, not fantastic, feels like a more accurate description of it.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017

tl;dr: Force employers to make union members whole by matching elimination of negotiated health care plans with increases in wages.
Sure but making them whole isn't the entire issue, the issue is ensuring a union provides clearly superior benefits when compared to a non-unionized work place. In effect, they're not just worried about their members today, they're worried about being placed in a more equal playing field with other employment opportunities. Getting a few extra days of sick time, being slightly harder to fire and little benefits like that don't carry near the recruitment and retention rate as a rock solid health care plan does. You know how some people say they're trapped in their job by healthcare, well the same can apply to Unions. Remove that albatross from around peoples' necks and now you may find a situation where you're no longer as attractive a workplace. Workers may decide these smaller benefits aren't worth paying dues for or that now free of needing a great healthcare plan they may take a benefit or pay cut and work somewhere else for whatever reason, closer to home, didn't like the work, yadda, yadda.

In short it's not just FUD about M4A's execution it's also a fear of not being able to hold their own grasp on the workforce. In essence the Union's looking out for the continued existence of the Union.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has it though? His ground game feels like it's more like dragging him just over the finish line.

Now that still matters-a lot even, he's easily the sole frontrunner in this thing now-but it's hard for me not to look at Iowa and see a tie and NH and think that Pete gets a decisive win out of there if Klobul Warming didn't happen out of nowhere. Sufficient, not fantastic, feels like a more accurate description of it.

You're right, Bernie isn't winning by huge margins - but the fact that he's winning at all is because of his outreach.

I can't find it but there was a really wonderful video about how Bernie supporters canvassed and brought out the Somali community in Iowa and other minority communities, and these voters tipped the scale in his favor at the final percentages.

Why have some members of the Congressional Black Caucus endorsed Bloomberg? I don't understand.

The mind of a moderate is an enigma, one we'll all bear witness to at the brokered convention.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I saw this nightmare fuel. Now you have to.

86274293_3361029773911569_2600104283953168384_n.jpg

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
First pick is still Warren but I don't see her winning the nom in any way shape or form so for that I'm supporting Sanders irl and in the poll

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Its a big field and that was in two of the whitest states. Also, if you look at his engagement it is more energised than any other candidate - and I would argue Trump as well. Of course this is the US, and his campaign has the hardest ideological barriers to bridge. He also has some pretty amazing surrogates I would say.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Because African American voters aren't a monolith, and a lot of them, especially older voters are moderates who basically support many tough on crime policies. Hell, 60% of African American's want more police in their neighborhood (https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...s-crime-criminal-justice-reform-booker-harris) and 58% of African-Americans have a positive view of the police in their community.

Many, many members of the CBC voted for the 1994 crime bill, and not a single one of them lost a primary, or even had a strong primary challenge.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Because African American voters aren't a monolith, and a lot of them, especially older voters are moderates who basically support many tough on crime policies. Hell, 60% of African American's want more police in their neighborhood (https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...s-crime-criminal-justice-reform-booker-harris) and 58% of African-Americans have a positive view of the police in their community.

Many, many members of the CBC voted for the 1994 crime bill, and not a single one of them lost a primary, or even had a strong primary challenge.

Yeah many people just want 'stability' as elusive as that actually is, particularly in the long run. Which means they will take a lot, just so they can keep their head down and take care of their family, etc. It doesn't help that they are being pelted with propogranda from media, government and corporations to concentrate on individualism and not rock the boat. I think many people don't really realise they are playing out somebody else's interest - or just don't care or dont have the energy and space to act on their care.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never underestimate the willingness for establishment people to throw minorities under the bus.

Yeah, but they're out of touch as hell. If they stand up and defend Bloomberg on this shit, they're going to start losing the respect of the people that trust in them. They better tread fucking carefully on this one imo.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did they even specify what these "vicious attacks" were? Was it John Legend & Rob Delaney strongly disagreeing on twitter, or?

Also, lol

Fuck Klobuchar. I retract the post I made yesterday about seeing myself voting for her if she's the nominee (she won't be, but still). It was born out of ignorance. This and her willingness to compromise with pro-life Democrats put her firmly in the "nope" camp for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Since I was warned for my post saying any minority/black people voting Bloomberg as ignorant and idiotic, I would like to ask a honest question:

What is a legitimate reason for any minority to pick a certifiable racist like him to lead a country where they live? A person who enforced policy like stop and frisk, and said horrific stuff like the Xerox thing. Educate me.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Since I was warned for my post saying any minority/black people voting Bloomberg as ignorant and idiotic, I would like to ask a honest question:

What is a legitimate reason for any minority to pick a certifiable racist like him? A person who enforced policy like stop and frisk, and said horrific stuff like the Xerox thing. Educate me.

I'm not a minority, but the facts are, thousands of minorities voted for Bloomberg in all his mayoral runs, but likely reasons are they're moderate to conservative on racial issues themselves, they think things like stop 'n' frisk make their minority communities safer, they prefer Bloomberg on other issues (like gun control) where he's put his money where his mouth is, and an understated reason, especially among older black voters, is that many of them basically believe most white people say or believe things like this, and that people like Bloomberg or Biden are just worse at hiding it, and looking at the history of America, I totally understand that belief.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I'm not a minority, but the facts are, thousands of minorities voted for Bloomberg in all his mayoral runs, but likely reasons are they're moderate to conservative on racial issues themselves, they think things like stop 'n' frisk make their minority communities safer, they prefer Bloomberg on other issues (like gun control) where he's put his money where his mouth is, and an understated reason, especially among older black voters, is that many of them basically believe most white people say or believe things like this, and that people like Bloomberg or Biden are just worse at hiding it, and looking at the history of America, I totally understand that belief.

The very idea that any minority would actually vote for a certified racist like him is just beyond me. It's like a black guy or a Muslim voting for Trump. No matter what your other reason are, you are giving your support towards a person that consider you as sub-human.

It just makes my skin crawl.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck Klobuchar. I retract the post I made yesterday about seeing myself voting for her if she's the nominee (she won't be, but still). It was born out of ignorance. This and her willingness to compromise with pro-life Democrats put her firmly in the "nope" camp for me.

If you think simply saying pro-life people have a place in the party are bad, how do you feel about a candidate openly endorsing an anti-abortion candidate for Mayor of a city of 450,000 odd people.

The very idea that any minority would actually vote for a certified racist like him is just beyond me. It's like a black guy or a Muslim voting for Trump. No matter what your other reason are, you are giving your support towards a person that consider you as sub-human.

It just makes my skin crawl.

I mean, if you're a 70 year old black person in America, you've been voting for certified racists almost your whole life, at least by the standards of many in 2020 America. What's the difference now?

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There are other options.

Sure, two white people who many black voters they've never likely heard of, another crazy white guy promising revolution, and Bloomberg, who says nice things about Obama, and has spent a zillion dollars on gun control. Again, I don't agree with their choice, but I can understand where people care coming from.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
or, you know, we could send a strong signal to the DNC that we won't stand for this fuckery and reject Bloomberg instead of trying to blackpill each other into voting for him when he's nowhere near the nom yet.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, two white people who many black voters they've never likely heard of, another crazy white guy promising revolution, and Bloomberg, who says nice things about Obama, and has spent a zillion dollars on gun control. Again, I don't agree with their choice, but I can understand where people care coming from.
I don't get how that responds to my point?
We shouldn't act like there isn't a solution for not voting for a racist.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get how that responds to my point?
We shouldn't act like there isn't a solution for not voting for a racist.

I agree there are other options. I'm simply explaining, in theory, why of the options left, even minorities would currently choose Bloomberg.

Now, in two weeks, after getting slaughtered in debates, and Pete & Amy or Warren & Biden being viable again, maybe he'll be back to 5% and we'll all have a good laugh about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.