• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
obviously, Bernie has been the scapegoat for the missteps of every other campaign

remember when Beto's campaign rollout got some pushback when he was heralded as the next Obama? Bernie

remember when Kamala was getting criticized on her record? Bernie

there's going to be some seriously toxic stuff coming at Bernie if/when Warren drops, doubly so because she seems to be one of the candidates with significant Hillary 2016 support and that pettiness has proved to be eternal

Yes. Bernie is the real victim of the 2020 Election Cycle. Nevermind that nobody seriously blames Bernie for Beto or Kamala falling apart. Beto ran a bad campaign and couldn't make a single good argument for why he was running during the few debates he was in, and Kamala had a disorganized mess of a campaign that failed to capitalize on a strong initial debate performance.

Maybe Warren supporters--like myself--would be more likely to back Sanders if/when she drops, if we didn't have to read dumpster takes like this 10 times a day. For a block of voters you guys really need, you sure love to shit all over Warren supporters at every turn.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Superdelegates don't even vote on the first ballot. Just win a majority of delegates and you never have to worry about them.
I mean yes, but the conversation is on a hypothetical bloomberg win. That only happens with a brokered convention. And in which case those 10-15% of delegates would be incredibly important and he would need them in order to get the nom. Thus when people say, if he did get the nom the DNC would have failed the people, theyre right to make that claim. Hell they could make that claim now by the fact they allowed him on the ticket at all in addition to changing their rules for him.

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. Bernie is the real victim of the 2020 Election Cycle. Nevermind that nobody seriously blames Bernie for Beto or Kamala falling apart. Beto ran a bad campaign and couldn't make a single good argument for why he was running during the few debates he was in, and Kamala had a disorganized mess of a campaign that failed to capitalize on a strong initial debate performance.

Maybe Warren supporters--like myself--would be more likely to back Sanders if/when she drops, if we didn't have to read dumpster takes like this 10 times a day. For a block of voters you guys really need, you sure love to shit all over Warren supporters at every turn.

As a Sanders supporter (Warren as second choice, as well), I welcome you with open arms. Straight up, as the pool gets lesser and lesser we need to rally and support one another.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

CNN was running stories on how Bernie supporters were calling Warren a snake and Pete a rat. That's gonna make some people think they're to blame for those candidates' misfortunes, and it's much worse on the internet where Bernie supporters are vilified on the daily.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like it if the media could point out Bloomberg is just as much as a Putin apologist as Trump to where we should be questioning his loyalities and financial interests

has he released his tax returns?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

of course it wasn't serious, it was purely petty ass bullshit lol

but it was quite rampant on here so it's not at all surprising that he would be blamed again for another campaign's failure

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Alright, let me rephrase: The Democratic Establishment instead of the DNC. The DNC can pull some bullshit if they really want to as well, and a brokered convention could be the perfect lane for them to exert their power around pushing for Bloomberg. The DNC has influence and very clear candidates that they favor over others in regards to policy. To deny their influence on the greater situation is just foolish. They can't outright pick Bloomberg without causing massive issues in the base, but they do have influence and power to this day.
Every day people just show they don't understand what the DNC is, what it does, or what powers it has.

The DNC as an organization had no control over the votes of Convention delegates, or really much power, ability, or reason to influence individual votes.

Whoever goes into the convention with a delegate plurality will win the nomination. Deals will be struck over who is Vice, cabinet posts, etc., but the top of the ticket won't change.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
CNN was running stories on how Bernie supporters were calling Warren a snake and Pete a rat. That's gonna make some people think they're to blame for those candidates' misfortunes, and it's much worse on the internet where Bernie supporters are vilified on the daily.

Because they were doing that lol. There were trending hashtags for both of those events, for DAYS. People spent 3-4 days talking about Pete "ratfucking" the Iowa Caucus, and regularly call him a rat. Are you just glossing over these facts? How many Warren supporters are in here taking shots at other candidates? Exactly. Bernie supporters are vilified because they consistently behave the worst. When SNL is blasting a subset of them as "an army of internet trolls" on Network Television, you have an image problem.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, count me among the people who will leave the top of the ticket blank/write-in if Bloomberg is the nominee.

If our only options are a Trump Republican or a Bush Republican, I choose not to lend credence to that sham democracy. They're both fascists/wanna-be fascists.
Eh, I'm not even certain if that's the case. Warren will endorse Sanders almost certainly imo.
Yeah, I've gone back and forth between the two, with Warren being my top pick for most of the race (again, because Bernie's age and health really, really concern me).

But yeah, she made a couple bad decisions and had some shitty luck, and things just didn't come together how they could have. It sucks, but I've accepted her campaign has 2 feet in the grave already. I'm here for the policy, not the personality, so I've got no problem going 100% Bernie from here on out.

I can't imagine her endorsing anyone else in the primary.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got an email from Morning Consult with new post N.H. numbers:

IBf5mwa.png

https://morningconsult.com/2020/02/13/sanders-cements-front-runner-status-after-new-hampshire-win/

I bet Bloomberg is feeling good to close on second place while skipping every caucus/primary so far.

For fuck's sake.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Look, let's not pretend that warren supporters are the big bads on Era. We're out numbered like 10-1. I'll concede that there are a couple of posters who love to give y'all a hard time but please don't act like it's not reciprocated ten fold towards virtually every "rat", "snake", "Republican", "ghoul" candidate that isn't liked here

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I watch some leftists on Twitch and any of the big names on the platform like Hasan encourage this behavior. I think Warren has run a poor campaign and I don't agree with Pete on his milquetoast healthcare plans but man oh man, I feel like the infighting isn't constructive at all. I'm not one of those that thinks that conflict is unhealthy but a lot of these bigger leftists seem to lean in hard on the populism side. Calling Warren a snake and Pete a rat is some Trumpian level silliness.

You're right, it doesn't help with all the stories about "Bernie bros" and "Bernie's troll army" etc.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Not changing the debate qualification rules to accomodate Bloomberg would be a great start.
lmao.... him not debating has been a disaster. He's able to run a general election campaign unopposed while not having his shit directly called out by the Dem field - which you see what that's doing to his polling and viability. He needs to debate.

Insane that people don't want him to...

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
This I don't get.

He's like the third or fourth highest polling candidate. He SHOULD be in the debates, primary voters deserve to hear from him in person.

The arguments against it are silly. The polling requirement is what people struggle with, and he's currently polling better than most candidates nationally. If he were taking donations he would have cleared the donation requirement within a weekend.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get trying to tie the debate issue with not wanting him to be the nominee. It seems to me if you don't want him elected getting him on stage is a good way to achieve that goal

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017

So pretty much confirmed it's going to be Bernie vs everyone else, including Warren at the debate. Considering how critical debates have been in the lead-up to Iowa & NH, I'm really curious to see how Bernie handles the incoming. No doubt Chuck Todd will set-up endless gotcha's for him as well.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Look, let's not pretend that warren supporters are the big bads on Era. We're out numbered like 10-1. I'll concede that there are a couple of posters who love to give y'all a hard time but please don't act like it's not reciprocated ten fold towards virtually every "rat", "snake", "Republican", "ghoul" candidate that isn't liked here
The nonstop threads about the Warren/Bernie feud is up there in the worst week/two weeks of being on this website tbh

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
How would the DNC even go about blocking Bloomberg from running without making some arbitrary rule just to stop Bloomberg?
They arbitrarily changed the rules to accommodate him to get on the debate stage so even if they can't just make a "let's stop mike" rule they can also not make a "let's make this easier for mike" rule

but it goes beyond him personally going forward they could make some sort of cap about what candidates can spend on their own campaigns. To get on the ballots in states is actually done locally but they could implement some loophole about how if you spend more than X Amount of money on your campaign then the delegates you receive aren't binding and will go to someone else at the Convention

there's no reason why they couldn't implement something like that and they probably should. It's just not fair to other candidates that billionaires can outspend them if they get in.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Not changing the debate qualification rules to accomodate Bloomberg would be a great start.

Just to agree with the others- the rules changes wouldn't be to "accommodate" him, it's so they can call him on his shit during a debate. Or at least point to him avoiding participating when eligible as being bad.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017

So pretty much confirmed it's going to be Bernie vs everyone else, including Warren at the debate. Considering how critical debates have been in the lead-up to Iowa & NH, I'm really curious to see how Bernie handles the incoming. No doubt Chuck Todd will set-up endless gotcha's for him as well.

I feel like if they focus all their energy on him it'll just make him stronger and pull further away. So let's see what happens.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This I don't get.

He's like the third or fourth highest polling candidate. He SHOULD be in the debates, primary voters deserve to hear from him in person.
He is not getting any individual contributions from voters. A few weeks ago, that was a qualifying criterion. The DNC changing the rules to let him in is incredibly bad optics, even if it ultimately doesn't help Bloomberg.

Bernie does great when he's put on the spot. If it's everyone, including the moderators, vs. him I think he can come out on top.

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie - 29%

Muh ceiling though

Really, y'all need to chill on fucking Bloomberg. As Bernie wins more and more he's going to continue to peel off the Biden and Warren voters who have him as their second choice but are worried about 'electability'. Don't be surprised if he goes into Super Tuesday with more than 30% in the national polling average

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
They arbitrarily changed the rules to accommodate him to get on the debate stage so even if they can't just make a "let's stop mike" rule they can also not make a "let's make this easier for mike" rule

but it goes beyond him personally going forward they could make some sort of cap about what candidates can spend on their own campaigns. To get on the ballots in states is actually done locally but they could implement some loophole about how if you spend more than X Amount of money on your campaign thenthe delegates you receive aren't binding and will go to someone else as the Convention

there's no reason why they couldn't implement something like that and they probably should. It's just not fair to other candidates that billionaires can outspend them if they get in.
Bloomberg has the same right to run as any other candidate...

Why wouldn't he?

Yea, he's terrible, but terrible people are already taken into account by the system. There's an entire primary process to weed out terrible people from being the candidate.

It seems like you don't trust Democratic voters and want the DNC to step in. Would you be okay with the DNC stopping other candidates from running?

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if Bernie tanks the hits and doesn't go negative it'll probably help him a lot

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
He is not getting any individual contributions from voters. A few weeks ago, that was a qualifying criterion. The DNC changing the rules to let him in is incredibly bad optics, even if it ultimately doesn't help Bloomberg.

Bernie does great when he's put on the spot. If it's everyone, including the moderators, vs. him I think he can come out on top.
It's only bad optics if you think providing voters with more information and more exposure to viable candidates for the party nomination is somehow a bad thing.

It's not.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

I mean... while Bernie doesn't need to get into the weeds, he's going to have to have an answer regarding unions. I'm not sure why people would be upset he would be getting called out over that given a quite important union in NV is sounding the alarm over a lack of information and concern over what his plan may do to their setup.

This is healthcare - a critically important things for many people. Again, while some massively detailed thing like what Warren did isn't necessary, he has to be able to at least address basics like these and calm those concerns/fears. Not an unreasonable thing to expect in a primary. And this is a race where only one person can win - so it would be obvious he will get called on it by others.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't get trying to tie the debate issue with not wanting him to be the nominee. It seems to me if you don't want him elected getting him on stage is a good way to achieve that goal
Giving him legitimacy by boosting him up on stage isn't going to help I'm sorry. His spending isn't going to win him the race by itself, its going to cap at some point eventually. If he wants to spend that much money for second or third places fine. But I think putting on a debate stage is only going to signal hes legitimate when he shouldnt be viewed as such.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Medicare For All is still cheaper than any union healthcare, and he will almost certainly bring that up. It also supports everyone, and not just those with a job or union that happens to also provide insurance options.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I'm still really worried about his health and age (if he was 10 years younger I probably wouldn't even have considered other options), but with Warren's campaign in its death throes (which is sad to see), there's not really any other progressive choice.
I really, really wish that so much of the field wasn't 70+.

Morbid or not, I've long felt that either Sanders or Warren would be better off nominating a young VP than each other, if it came down to one of them.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Giving him legitimacy by boosting him up on stage isn't going to help I'm sorry. His spending isn't going to win him the race by itself, its going to cap at some point eventually. If he wants to spend that much money for second or third places fine. But I think putting on a debate stage is only going to signal hes legitimate when he shouldnt be viewed as such.
He already has legitimacy. Just ignoring him isn't going to make him go away. He needs to be able to get called out on directly in a debate format at the very least. Right now, he's just able to drown everyone out with ads and outspend everyone.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
He is a legitimate candidate. He's also legitimately terrible, but primary voters should make that determination, not the party apparatus.

Oct 25, 2017
Not voting for a progressive candidate cause people were mean online

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He already has legitimacy. Just ignoring him isn't going to make him go away. He needs to be able to get called out on directly in a debate format at the very least. Right now, he's just able to drown everyone out with ads and outspend everyone.
I didn't say it would make him go away. I said it would stay capped at 2nd and 3rd in states. And if thats what hes going for fine. I dont see boosting him further by putting him up on a debate stage as anything other than helping to further his position as a serious contender in the eyes of voters. And given that so far weve only had one good debate with moderators I highly doubt the likes of Chuck Todd are going to press Mike on why hes a racist fascist republican running on the Dem platform.

He is a legitimate candidate. He's also legitimately terrible, but primary voters should make that determination, not the party apparatus.
You know its funny then that they would have any stipulations for who gets to be on the debate stage at all so long as theyre getting a decent % in polls, given people like booker dropped before they changed the rules to accommodate Bloomberg. But they only changed it in order to support Bloomberg. Lets not pretend the party is neutral here and didn't change the rules for one particular person while barring the rest of the people in their party running for the nom drop out.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I'd support Medicare for All, but snake emojis
Should add that I think that snake emoji stuff is still dumb bullshit, but come on.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The "party apparatus" also decided to change rules to accommodate a Republican billionaire, so there is that. Buying your way into an election is probably the biggest example of a candidate being illegitimate that I can think of.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I want everyone to notice that Bernie gained 4 points, while Warren only lost 1. Bernie isn't just taking votes from progressive candidates; he's siphoning voters from pretty much everywhere. So it would be fantastic if everyone remembers this, before they go on another tirade about the progressive vs moderate base. It's more complex than that. Bernie taking votes from Biden should give you a clue.

Unrequited crush on Bernie is over.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg has the same right to run as any other candidate...

Why wouldn't he?

Yea, he's terrible, but terrible people are already taken into account by the system. There's an entire primary process to weed out terrible people from being the candidate.

It seems like you don't trust Democratic voters and want the DNC to step in. Would you be okay with the DNC stopping other candidates from running?
Um what

no it has nothing to do with "trusting democratic voters".

campaigning is hard and costs a lot of money and the fact is in some states a lot of people don't even know who the fuck is running but all the see is ads of Bloomberg being plastered everywhere

It has nothing to do with him personally. Even if I loved him and thought he was great how is billionaires dumping billions of dollars to buy elections a good thing going forward.

why do people so easily get that these sorts of advantages are bad in every other aspect of life but when it comes to politics it's like think any sort of system to balance out the advantages of oligarchs suddenly it's not fair to them to change it and it's like we're struggling to put two and two together here

it would be good for democracy if oligarchs and the extremely wealthy were not able to dump a fuck ton of money into their own elections.

Bloomberg by law wouldn't be able to spend the amount of money he currently is spending on anyone else. What sense does it make that average people can only donate a few thousand dollars to candidates they like but a billionaire has no restrictions. Why are we restricted to our own assets and resources to donate to someone else but they arent? All this does is encourage the incredibly wealthy to cut out the middle man and run themselves and with Trump and Bloomberg that's exactly what's happening now and with no changes there's zero reason to expect it will get better

The scotus didn't know what they were enabling when they ruled on this in the 70s and needs to be talked about and fixed just as much as citizens united

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The "party apparatus" also decided to change rules to accommodate a Republican billionaire, so there is that. Buying your way into an election is probably the biggest example of a candidate being illegitimate that I can think of.
Change the rules to allow the third highest polling person to participate in a debate.

Again, he should be in the debate. The voters deserve to hear from him in person, to better make an informed decision. That's the point of the debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.