• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MSNBC realizing that they can't stop Sanders so it's either bend the knee or be complicit in a second Trump term. One is pleased to see it.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What did Clinton in was her fucking email server because she's an old person who wanted to use a Blackberry.

The image of impropriety was too great to dodge and there's no real good way for her to not look like she wasn't trying to hide something. Like there was no good way to get out of that mess.
Clinton also had a decades long smear campaign working directly against her. So any mistakes or bad judgements she made were easily able to be amplified. Add in the sexism part of it too.

I'm thinking it'll be a little harder to try to paint a Jewish man as a Nazi sympathizer among reasonable people. It's certainly a bold strategy.

Oct 28, 2017
They only have unlimited access to Fox News, plus the president's Twitter whose Tweets are covered uncritically by every other news organization. Plus untold billions in dark money for TV ads.

There will be no shortage of Republican media on television this fall.

The email server was the death of Clinton. Fox News wasn't the problem, the problem was the decision was not defensible and had no good answer.

There was no way for Clinton to not look like she was trying to hide something with the private email server. It doesn't matter what the DoJ or FBI finds, people are going to consistently ask why do you need to have your own server in the first place.

And it is an entirely fair question. I believe the answer was that she's old as fuck and refused to ditch her Blackberry. But that's a totally unsatisfying answer that people can't really sympathise with, Blackberries were already out and iPhones were in.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean Bernie -could- answer this if he actually got specific into how hes going to cut military spending.

I mean, we overspend on the military, plus even military spending comes nowhere close to the amount of add'l spending Bernie wants to do. Which is fine, but this is idea that Bernie can pay for everything without taxes going up for middle class people.

I'm even OK with extra deficit spending, but guess what, if you're middle class in Denmark or even Germany, you pay more taxes than somebody middle class in America.

Of course, if you were a cynical leftist, you pass M4A without paying for it, then come back to the American people in four years, and say, "we need to raise taxes or you pay premiums again."

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just have Anand Giridharadas on air more. He seems to understand the situation better than 98% of the people they have on.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is the smarter way to talk about the issue than "Literacy is good, and jailing political dissidents is not"?
i dont know. i have no idea. like ive said i think he's right about it completely but there's always tidier ways to package political ideas and you can bet theyre working on it for the debate tomorrow

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so tired of Krystal Ball's BS. Last thing we need is "pro-Sanders" people who also boost Tulsi Gabbard

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
so tired of Krystal Ball's BS. Last thing we need is "pro-Sanders" people who also boost Tulsi Gabbard

This is my main problem with most of the rising left wing intelligistia largely focused in Brooklyn. Way too many people friendly with grifters like Tulsi, Cenk, and the other people in the movement are who are just assholes. Which is probably why Bernie's actual campaign out in the field and campaign manager is good, while other spots at the top of his campaign is filled with dumbasses.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Congrats to you senator Sanders, and to your supporters on a tremendous win down in Nevada"
VbKD7PK.gif

yeah... it was this moment where the reality of Bernie actually winning set in. He probably cursed up a storm off air.

Oct 28, 2017
Clinton also had a decades long smear campaign working directly against her. So any mistakes or bad judgements she made were easily able to be amplified. Add in the sexism part of it too.

Exactly.

One of the huge attacks against Clinton over the years was that you could not trust that family with their connections with lobbyists. They did nothing to dodge those accusations between the fund raisers, photo ops and paid appearances. Everyone and their dog knew this because the media talked about this constantly.

The whole email server nailed the coffin shut. Why do you have a private email server? What corruption were you trying to hide? The email server was so enduring because Clinton had no good reason why she broke ranks from everyone else in the cabinet. It was an open ended controversy goldmine.

This image of corruption looks like shit no matter what part of the political spectrum you're on.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Matthews compares Bernie and his supporters to Nazis: I sleep
People on the internet quoting Game Of Thrones: REAL SHIT

The schadenfreude gets a little insufferable around here sometimes, but in this case Matthews brought it on himself.
Matthews fucked up extraordinarily, and has in particular lead an onslaught of hysteria around Sanders and it's completely fucking ridiculous. He deserves ridicule for it and I took part in that myself, but idk. Just take the win and move on.

Oct 28, 2017
i'm getting the feeling he got into the race to get the spotlight to smear other democratic to make it easier for his fellow republicans to win, thus preserving the status quo so lucrative for billionaires like him

That was always the goal. Well, he wanted to win. But since he probably can't win, since he's a piece of shit and isn't even good at being Trump-like, he's going to go for the next best thing.

Nevada Predictions Wrapup, SC Primary Preliminaries
OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Firstly! Some in-thread housekeeping.

urSEXC5.png

The 468 voters' for Sanders were proven correct, as he swept the state. Sorry to our iPad enthusiasts and Andrew Yang, but it seems that the robot uprising has been delayed once again. Damn meatbags.

Now, SC! Here's what the OP has to say about the first southern contest:

Finally, our last contest of February! The South Carolina primary has been the first in the south since its inception in 1980, and in 2008 established an important marker as the first Democratic primary contest of the cycle with a majority black electorate. As such, it's taken on an important role as a signal flag. Candidates that fail to hit 15% in SC are unlikely to do much better with black voters going forwards, and as they're the core of the Democratic voting bloc, tend to drop out. But who even knows, this year.

There's a strong argument to be made that SC should be even more important than it is. As was mentioned above, black voters are core to the Democratic constituency, and emphasizing the importance of this contest could serve to align candidates on black issues in the same way Iowa's first-in-the-nation status somehow convinced everyone that ethanol would solve climate change and actually corn syrup in everything is fine.

As a primary, there's not much to say on the process - show up on February 29th between 7AM and 7PM ET and vote. Voters may participate regardless of party affiliation, but if you're thinking of trying to Operation Chaos the Republicans, don't bother - the South Carolina primary has predicted their contest winner every presidential election since its inception (other than 2012), so naturally they canceled it this year. To check your voter registration status and find your polling place, click here. Want to register to vote? Click here for instructions on how.

Next poll going up now. Stay tuned for a thread policy update.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A very good article worth reading and something I posted here before and wish would be brought up more on TV.
Like, just yesterday Van Jones was drawing comparisons to 1972 to illustrate electibility issues of a progressive nominee. Something that happened 50 years ago!!!
But they never bring up electibility issues of modarate candidates, which could be witnessed just 4 years ago

Moderate Democrats blame progressive candidates for losses, but they can't seem to blame moderate candidates for losses. Moderates can't seem to reflect on the historical electability of their candidates, as they implore progressives to reflect on the historical electability of their candidates. Moderates recognize how progressive candidates alienate certain voters, but they can't seem to recognize how moderate candidates alienate certain voters. Moderates implore progressives to give moderate candidates a chance, but they can't seem to give progressive candidates a chance.

Moderate Democrats also lost presidential elections in 1980, 2000, 2004, and 2016. Since McGovern, moderate Democrats have a losing record in presidential elections: six losses to the five wins by Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama (who ran a more progressive primary campaign than Hillary Clinton in 2008). But this history is lost in discussions of electability. It is as if moderate nominees are undefeated. It is as if the last time a Democrat lost was when the party nominated McGovern in 1972.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
One of the huge attacks against Clinton over the years was that you could not trust that family with their connections with lobbyists. They did nothing to dodge those accusations between the fund raisers, photo ops and paid appearances. Everyone and their dog knew this because the media talked about this constantly.

I'd say it's kind of a wonder that the news media almost never played this up with the guy who had a TV series, buildings with his name on them in New Jersey and New York, and regularly palled around with this apparently corrupt official, but I guess his overt racism got the media too horny

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been keeping up in this thread. So is everyone confident that Bernie's is the front runner to get the nomination and if so how does everyone fell about that?

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it's kind of a wonder that the news media almost never played this up with the guy who had a TV series, buildings with his name on them in New Jersey and New York, and regularly palled around with this apparently corrupt official, but I guess his overt racism got the media too horny

They did, I believe the problem was that they trusted Trump more because his conflicts of interests were at least in the open for everyone to see. People felt Clinton's corruption was way more nefarious.

I don't agree but Clinton did herself no favours in a lot of ways.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think Sanders may win SC. His base are more motivated to vote and I think that'll overcom Bidens small lead.

And if Sanders does I think he's got the nom.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voting Bernie in the thread poll for the underdog come-from-behind upset win, let's go baby! Fingers crossed the efforts on the ground there are enough to close the small gap between him and Biden.

Haven't been keeping up in this thread. So is everyone confident that Bernie's is the front runner to get the nomination and if so how does everyone fell about that?

Yes, and we feel pretty great about it

Status
Not open for further replies.