• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Violating the staff post in regards to metacommentary.

When Warren drops out, people are 100% gonna say she was bullied out of the race by Bernie Bros, instead of just owning up to her campaign just running out of gas money.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the party can unite against Bloomie and give the not-bernie concern a rest for a while. Uncle Joe won't look so bad then.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
You guys give way more headspace to Bloomberg than I do. It seems nobody outside those he paid off support him

Last edited:

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Progressives need to take over and that won't happen until Bernie wins. He probably won't be able to accomplish much due to the senate or maybe he can but his folks will re-arrange the Dem party like Trump did with GOP.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

When Warren drops out, people are 100% gonna say she was bullied out of the race by Bernie Bros, instead of just owning up to her campaign just running out of gas money.

Eh, I'm not even certain if that's the case. Warren will endorse Sanders almost certainly imo.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The whole shaming non-voters thing always made no sense to me if you actually put yourself in someone's shoes. At the end of the day, a candidate is asking someone to go out of way to wait in line to vote, then go in the booth and personally put their seal of approval next to someone's name.

At some point, you actually have to offer something to people instead of just saying the other dude is worse. Doubly so if you've actively spit in the faces of these perspective voters like Bloomberg has.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
That won't benefit him with his base, it will depress it. And it's not a guaranteed move that will even move the needle for people that do not want to vote for him. It's better to motivate those that align with you, than to change who you are to appeal to those you disagree with.

No? Presidents chose VPs specifically to move certain voting blocks and regions in the general election. His base wont be depressed with it anymore than any other compromises he does.

May 30, 2018
A racist old billionaire vs another racist old billionaire

Wouldn't be surprised if Trump won that fight, his MAGA boys will actually get out for him. No way in hell is anybody hitting the ground for Bloomberg (unless they were paid)

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
If I let my catastrophizing brain run wild for a bit, I think this is the series of events we're currently looking at
  • Bernie does well but all the others stay in the race long enough to sap delegates away from him. They may even stay in specifically to do this, encouraged by the DNC.
  • Brokered convention, DNC anoints Mayo Pete or Bloomberg, who will suffer a crushing defeat in November
  • 1000 years of pain and darkness
I can do this all day, and I will, because I can't stop myself.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I feel if I voted for Bloomberg I would be a hypocrite for things I've said about people who voted for Trump last time. And I don't even mean people who currently support them necessarily- the cult of Trump; I mean the swing voter, the folks who have some flawed conceptualization of what's normal and what's status quo and what's scary..it's easy for me to look down on those people (and I often tend to still sometimes admittedly) but some folks did get swindled and I recognize that as ridiculous as it is to me. The America we live in makes it a hard ask for some folks to be attuned to every detail especially when so much misinformation and poor media coverage is out there (hello NBC)

And that said I also understand the argument for people who would vote for him on the basis of stopping Trump and I can't find fault in that either.

Neither of these choices are good in the long run. Bloomberg vs. Trump has no winners except for the 1% gaining more power and influence while the lower classes grow even more angry and even more at each others throats. The best thing we can do in that situation is understand each other and why folks did what they did. Someone choosing not to vote for Bloomberg isn't the enemy.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trump fucking feeds on liberal hypocrisy and Bloomberg is a walking poster boy of that. Trump is already laying into Bloomberg and he is making Bloomberg respond back with bad grandpa jokes.

Trump targeted AAs in his post superbowl campaign which sounded dumb as fuck initially but when the other side might put up Mike "Stop and Frisk" Bloomberg.... those 2-3% depressed voter turnout could give Trump an easy win.

Bloomberg is the EASIEST candidate to attack. Trump does not care about hypocrisy, he will attack Bloomberg for the same shit he does only it will land harder with the people who are likely to not vote for Trump.

Bloomberg has the same issue as Biden in that he is running SOLELY on electability. If a couple of states go by and he doesn't show that he is that electable then he is done.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot vote for Bloomberg. I feel a vote for him would be affirmation that a racist Republican billionaire who supported George W. Bush is what I want the Democratic Party to represent and I can't do it.

If the party wants that to be it's representation, and the amount of establishment figures lining up behind him suggests it is, then it's probably time to bounce.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bloomberg-weinstein-736x529.jpg
On top of the sexual harrassment suits, Bloomberg also has photos with Ghislaine Maxwell. You know what's up... he's #nottrump though so that's fine!

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I cannot vote for Bloomberg. I feel a vote for him would be affirmation that a racist Republican billionaire who supported George W. Bush is what I want the Democratic Party to represent and I can't do it.

If the party wants that to be it's representation, and the amount of establishment figures lining up behind him suggests it is, then it's probably time to bounce.

Yup. If the Democratic Party solidifies themselves behind a known racist and transphobic Republican billionaire, they are telling the majority of Americans to fuck off directly to their faces.

Aug 12, 2019
Bloomberg is basically the only candidate that I wouldn't vote for in the general. I would just outright abstain because voting for a racist billionaire that only has an interest in retaining his wealth and continuing the disparity between the working class and the elites is just not something I can stomach (my lone blue vote in a blood red state that adores Trump makes that an easier decision too, and I would still vote down ballot, just not President).

Seriously, if the DNC nominates Mike Bloomberg, the country is finished and the DNC deserve to be stomped out of existence for their terrible understanding of people. Looking at Clinton's specific failures and nominating an even worse candidate that is literally just another variation of Trump in a slightly less idiotic and blatant manner is the epitome of out of touch.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
The fact that so many mayors, lawmakers and politicians in the Democratic Party are outwardly endorsing Bloomberg is just... it's mind boggling.

They really don't give a fuck about working people.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, if the DNC nominates Mike Bloomberg, the country is finished and the DNC deserve to be stomped out of existence for their terrible understanding of people. Looking at Clinton's specific failures and nominating an even worse candidate that is literally just another variation of Trump in a slightly less idiotic and blatant manner is the epitome of out of touch.

The DNC doesn't just select the candidate. Voters and the delegates they select do.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
If I let my catastrophizing brain run wild for a bit, I think this is the series of events we're currently looking at
  • Bernie does well but all the others stay in the race long enough to sap delegates away from him. They may even stay in specifically to do this, encouraged by the DNC.
  • Brokered convention, DNC anoints Mayo Pete or Bloomberg, who will suffer a crushing defeat in November
  • 1000 years of pain and darkness[/B]

I can do this all day, and I will, because I can't stop myself.
mp346346-750x375.jpg

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Bloomberg is basically the only candidate that I wouldn't vote for in the general. I would just outright abstain because voting for a racist billionaire that only has an interest in retaining his wealth and continuing the disparity between the working class and the elites is just not something I can stomach (my lone blue vote in a blood red state that adores Trump makes that an easier decision too, and I would still vote down ballot, just not President).

Do any of you guys even know what the DNC does?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The DNC doesn't just select the candidate. Voters and the delegates they select do.
Bloomberg's only path to winning the nom is to have the SDEs flip to him during a brokered convention. Thus in the hypothetical he won, it would be apt to say its because of the DNC. And thats not even getting into the fact they not only allowed him to run on their ticket when they should have told him no, but that they changed the rules for him mid-election cycle to help him out too.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that so many mayors, lawmakers and politicians in the Democratic Party are outwardly endorsing Bloomberg is just... it's mind boggling.

That's the open secret.

Lol Bloomberg is going to show off his bought Black mayors, then moderates will chastise minorities for not getting over it and backing Bloomberg like these (goodnegro) mayors do.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Bernie bumper sticker in the mail.

I'm still really worried about his health and age (if he was 10 years younger I probably wouldn't even have considered other options), but with Warren's campaign in its death throes (which is sad to see), there's not really any other progressive choice.

While I've always felt Bernie has a great shot in the general, I'm still worried about his path to the nomination. If the moderates coalesce too soon this could get really fucking hard.

I'll definitely be volunteering here in Indiana once we get a bit closer to our primary. I donated $10 back when he launched last year, and did another $10 when I ordered the sticker.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Bloomberg's only path to winning the nom is to have the SDEs flip to him during a brokered convention. Thus in the hypothetical he won, it would be apt to say its because of the DNC. And thats not even getting into the fact they not only allowed him to run on their ticket when they should have told him no, but that they changed the rules for him mid-election cycle to help him out too.

SDE's are State Delegate Equivalents, I think you mean superdelegates. Superdelegates only account for like 5-10% of the total votes, it's the lowest percentage we've had since 1968 I believe.

Aug 12, 2019

Alright, let me rephrase: The Democratic Establishment instead of the DNC. The DNC can pull some bullshit if they really want to as well, and a brokered convention could be the perfect lane for them to exert their power around pushing for Bloomberg. The DNC has influence and very clear candidates that they favor over others in regards to policy. To deny their influence on the greater situation is just foolish. They can't outright pick Bloomberg without causing massive issues in the base, but they do have influence and power to this day.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If the DNC was going to mess around with the process and delegate selection why would they pick Bloomberg instead of Biden or... literally anyone else currently running?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
If Bloomberg gets picked after a brokered convention... let's just say the Democratic Party would collapse and I can't see people like AOC staying in it.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also y'all forget Bloomberg has huge Authoritarian tendencies. Just look at his tenure as mayor of Nyc . Dude really wanted nyc to be Singapore.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Between Trump and Bloomberg the corruption is out in the open. Republicans have taken off their masks, some Democrats are starting to do that as well.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SDE's are State Delegate Equivalents, I think you mean superdelegates. Superdelegates only account for like 5-10% of the total votes, it's the lowest percentage we've had since 1968 I believe.
Yes that is what I meant apologies. My point still stands that he would still need them to flip over in order to win. Thus it would be apt to place blame on the DNC (in addition to letting him on the ticket and changing the rules for him).

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

obviously, Bernie has been the scapegoat for the missteps of every other campaign

remember when Beto's campaign rollout got some pushback when he was heralded as the next Obama? Bernie

remember when Kamala was getting criticized on her record? Bernie

there's going to be some seriously toxic stuff coming at Bernie if/when Warren drops, doubly so because she seems to be one of the candidates with significant Hillary 2016 support and that pettiness has proved to be eternal

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Yes that is what I meant apologies. My point still stands that he would still need them to flip over in order to win. Thus it would be apt to place blame on the DNC (in addition to letting him on the ticket and changing the rules for him).

Superdelegates don't even vote on the first ballot. Just win a majority of delegates and you never have to worry about them.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do like that we are at a point where we tell people on Black History Month to go vote for the Stop and Frisk candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.