• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Pointing to a few toxic people as a way to undermine progressive movements is nothing new. If someone is going overboard, call them out, but don't fall for the trap of letting certain people attach toxicity to the movement as a way to undermine it. Especially not when the movement itself is about human rights and equality.

People shouldn't fall for the trap of thinking this is going to stop with Bernie.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie chose to make both of them surrogates and parts of his campaign well after the stuff they did was made known. He may not advocate for what they did, but by making them a prominent part of his campaign he's saying "the bad stuff they did doesn't bother me enough to seek outreach elsewhere".
you make it sound like she committed a crime. yeah some leftists are going to vote for the green party. it's the way it is

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That happened because the Republican party was and is full of fascists, and Trump's platform was fascism. It wasn't some fluke. "Uh oh, Trump was really mean so now everyone loves border concentration camps." It was always there, and it was always the heart of the party. Republicans love Trump because he disposed with the dog whistles and just appealed to the racism and bigotry of Republican voters directly, and they loved it.

Like, if you think lots of Sanders supporters are a bunch of dickheads, whatever. But what is the actual fear, here? That the Democratic party is going to be taken over by a bunch of crazed, ruthless sycophants who will stop at nothing to enact their insidious agenda of- ...universal health care and a more equitable society?
No, I'm afraid of irrational actors/personality cultists being seized by a total shithead who uses Bernie Sanders(his image not the man himself) to control them and then do terrible shit.

Again, we should be picking Sanders for his policy. Not because he hurts those we don't like.

Jun 20, 2019
Sanders promised to run until the convention. That's what he did. Since he's engaging in movement politics it made good sense for him to do so.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
As a certified Bernie Bro leftist who voted for Hillary in the general election and doesn't listen to Chapo, I always feel left out of these conversations. :(

Dec 11, 2017
All three of these movements are having actual effects on policy now.
I'm just venting frustration at people who try to delegitimize movements by complaining that the people who are most affected aren't being "civil" enough. I lived in St. Louis at the start of BLM and the way people there twisted the situation to make the activists the "real" aggressors made me sick.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a certified Bernie Bro leftist who voted for Hillary in the general election and doesn't listen to Chapo, I always feel left out of these conversations. :(
I personally like being lectured on the use of snake emojis while also having that same person call me a name from a podcast i have never listened to, so i at least feel slightly part of the conversation lol.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
No, it didn't. What "intensified" the fracture was the nonsense conspiracy theories that the election had been stolen from him. In 2008 Hillary took like 4 days to concede after Obama had clinched the nomination, and people were very worried she'd keep the primary going all the way up to the convention. You may not have been around to remember how angry Obama supporters were over that weekend, but I sure do. But she eventually acknowledged reality and did the right thing. Something Bernie did not. All the political theatre at the end of the primary between the two in 2008 was important and done for legitimate reasons. And none of that happened in 2016.

Warren is not polling low enough to make a call for her to get out reasonable with more contests upcoming. The race has an unusual amount of fluidity.
So you're saying that HRC supporters telling Bernie to drop out didn't affect relations between the two groups?

That seems like it is counter to human behavior. Common sense would say that insulting a thing that a person likes will make them more defensive about that thing, and more hostile to the people saying it.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so Sanders gets a pass on that but no one else does? I mean, Warren is in a position that she should drop out soon, but not fond of the rationalizing.
for people who care about progressive policies, it makes zero sense to support 2 progressive candidates when 1 is obviously not viable. Bernie "got a pass" because he wanted to change the dem platform to be more progressive, and largely succeeded btw.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just venting frustration at people who try to delegitimize movements by complaining that the people who are most affected aren't being "civil" enough. I lived in St. Louis at the start of BLM and the way people there twisted the situation to make the activists the "real" aggressors made me sick.
Oh yeah, protests are almost always Nana Ruthed. Especially by Faux News.

Jun 20, 2019
As for good leftists podcasts I recommend The Dig with Daniel Denvir, a fantastic show with frequent interviews of left activists and academics. It's really strong on exploring theory and practice. It's super great.

Home

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The person I had this discussion with previously was banned. The point is the information is pretty easily available and if you can't find examples of it it's either a willingness to avoid it or an active effort to reject it.
I literally asked for evidence for a stated claim, the evidence was provided, and it didn't actually back the claim being made. That was after I did my own research and found nothing about the subject in question.
Here's some of the doxxing paper trail :)

www.dailykos.com

Bernie Sanders's Supporters Doxed a Critic on Twitter

[Original title edited by Admin] Unhappy that the tweet above was shown on MSNBC when they covered the #MyBernieStory hashtag campaign, Sanders campaign employees and several notable supporters are encouraging the doxing of that detractor. Here is Sam...

Btw, all of this came about because you asked what he could do. When you have top level staffers doxxing, rushing to defend Tulsi Gabbard, keeping Trump supporters on your staff, my thought was that perhaps a culture change at that level might make some of the types of supporters that Warren was talking about less emboldened.

I agree with Warren. You don't need to, no one here needs to but I do.

As I said I'm happy to follow with more links tomorrow but it's not some wacky out of the blue or at all new or undiscussed notion that Sanders has some extremely problematic hires (and my hypothesis is that might have had an effect on the culture of some of his more... enthusiastic supporters.)
The Joy tweet was not doxxing, as she explained after the fact, she was talking about the character of the account in question, not literally calling for people to expose personal information. It was poorly worded, I agree with that, and a mistake, but not doxxing. It's also clear that Seder wasn't attempting to dox anyone, and didn't post exposing information, from what I can see.

And also, I'm not saying Sanders has never made a bad hire (all campaigns let people go for various reasons), but how are current hires engaging in toxic behavior?

I'm definitely failing to see how any of this ties back into the original point you made, that Warren was correct in calling Bernie out for not doing enough about online toxicity. Again, if you agree with this you should be able to explain what can be done about it, and I don't understand what more Bernie can do in this context.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think playing into a disinformation campaign that was propping up third party candidates to cost the Democratic Candidate was a good idea?
I'm saying you have to show me that her decision alone lead to others doing the same. Furthermore it's crazy you think this of all things that went down in 2016 is what cost democrats the election and not shit like voter suppression and Hillary's campaign strategy.

Anyway, I refuse to get tricked in to rehashing 2016. All I'll say is y'all not slick when y'all try to blame a woman on the internet for the collapse of a presidential campaign. Fuck out my face with that

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Warren is realistic enough that if she does poorly in NV and SC she'll probably drop out. I don't think she wants to lose her home state on Super Tuesday. I'm more curious about whether or not she endorses Sanders.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Warren is realistic enough that if she does poorly in NV and SC she'll probably drop out. I don't think she wants to lose her home state on Super Tuesday. I'm more curious about whether or not she endorses Sanders.

I dunno, is there any point in not sticking it out until ST when it's literally three days after SC?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Months ago i would have said yes. But the direction shes gone in since dropping hasn't been encouraging.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, I refuse to get tricked in to rehashing 2016. All I'll say is y'all not slick when y'all try to blame a woman on the internet for the collapse of a presidential campaign. Fuck out my face with that

A black woman. With very little twitter followers at the time. In a blue af state.

They really tried it.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally asked for evidence for a stated claim, the evidence was provided, and it didn't actually back the claim being made. That was after I did my own research and found nothing about the subject in question.

The Joy tweet was not doxxing, as she explained after the fact, she was talking about the character of the account in question, not literally calling for people to expose personal information. It was poorly worded, I agree with that, and a mistake, but not doxxing. It's also clear that Seder wasn't attempting to dox anyone, and didn't post exposing information, from what I can see.

And also, I'm not saying Sanders has never made a bad hire (all campaigns let people go for various reasons), but I'm failing to see how current hires are engage in toxic behavior?

I'm definitely failing to see how any of this ties back into the original point you made, that Warren was correct in calling Bernie out for not doing enough about online toxicity. Again, if you agree with this you should be able to explain what can be done about it, and I don't understand what more Bernie can do in this context.
Yeah I followed the story at the time & recently reviewed. I don't buy her backtracking or spin on what she did. We're obviously not going to agree on this.

Also you asked what could be done. I thought losing toxic hires such as Weaver, Turner, Sirota and Gray might be one solution.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ever play Bioshock Infinite? Lmao

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
The Bernie rally in Tacoma, WA tonight was an absolute banger! 17k people showed up, and a magat was running around throwing up the white power sign and got kicked out by the cops, Bernie just ignored him lol. Feeling pretty good after this.

CC41206-D-36-BB-48-C5-BA7-B-3093-A5788536.jpg

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A black woman. With very little twitter followers at the time. In a blue af state.

They really tried it.
I mean, there are those of us simply saying telling people to vote 3rd party was bad and you shouldn't do that.

Hillary lost because she was a bad candidate. She was still better than what we got.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Bernie rally in Tacoma, WA tonight was an absolute banger! 17k people showed up, and a magat was running around throwing up the white power sign and got kicked out by the cops, Bernie just ignored him lol. Feeling pretty good after this.

CC41206-D-36-BB-48-C5-BA7-B-3093-A5788536.jpg
FYI those are Obama 2008 numbers territory.

I'm hopeful maybe we are sparking something.

Status
Not open for further replies.