• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Were repeating the same arguments over and over again. Sanders doesn't have to cut any deal if he has the majority of the delegates and votes. If the Dems wanna screw around and not give it to himin a year vs Trump then they revealed themselves for who they really are anyway, but at the end of the day they have far more to lose than Bernie does.
This. If Bernie has the plurality he doesn't have to do shit. If they want to play games and try and force a VP on him or some shit he could threaten to run 3rd party. The DNC holds no cards in that situation.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Claim: The DNC was in the tank for Hillary Clinton and her campaign and the party apparatus inappropriately functioned in order to favor her for the nomination.

Receipts: Not sure if you're inclined to treat these with derision or not, but here are the emails central to the scandal. Browse them at your leisure. And here's Elizabeth Warren saying it was "rigged" (which she immediately walked back but hey she does that all the time)!

Hope this helps!

And this one!

The DNC emails don't demonstrate anything was rigged.

They demonstrate DNC staffers preferred a candidate who was a member of their party to one who wasn't.

And Warren inserting and amending her opinion is interesting but certainly not receipts.

Here's a newsflash for the Bernie fans in this thread: if Hillary had not had so much clout and cleared out potential competitors beforehand, Bernie's campaign would have died before it started.

The DNC didn't change a single vote and Bernie got his day in the sun. His campaign also wrongfully breached Hillary's campaign data so unless you have concrete evidence of foul play (rather than staffers in a party having an expressed preference for a member of the party for its nomination) this "the DNC rigged the nomination" nonsense is a total nonstarter.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt any non-Cuban voters really cares about the Castro stuff. The more worrisome attack on Bernie IMO is the 'how are you gonna pay for it' stuff, especially in the general election. Unfortunately there is a long history of white people in this country who will not support higher taxes for better social services if it means minorities disproportionately benefit, even if it they are better off as well.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just trying to figure out why other Democrats think they might win if they completely backstabbed 30 percent of their electorate. Like, where do they think their votes against Trump are coming from in that scenario?

Is anyone doing the math here? Do they think they can just force a candidate down the country's gullet in duress?

"Haha, we can take the White House, but only if we hold it hostage first!"
Its such short term thinking too. Bernie's base is the future of the party, he has the youth. The most diverse coalition. And theyre going to try and fuck them ovee to prevent a sanders nom? Or force him to pick moderates? You do that and you destroy the party entirely. I honestly am not sure if even the dems are THAT stupid to do it.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DNC emails don't demonstrate anything was rigged.

They demonstrate DNC staffers preferred a candidate who was a member of their party to one who wasn't.

And Warren inserting and amending her opinion is interesting but certainly not receipts.

Here's a newsflash for the Bernie fans in this thread: if Hillary had not had so much clout and cleared out potential competitors beforehand, Bernie's campaign would have died before it started.

The DNC didn't change a single vote and Bernie got his day in the sun. His campaign also wrongfully breached Hillary's campaign data so unless you have concrete evidence of foul play (rather than staffers in a party having an expressed preference for a member of the party for its nomination) this "the DNC rigged the nomination" nonsense is a total nonstarter.

I didn't say "rigged;" Liz Warren did. But if your prerogative is to believe the primary was entirely above board then go ahead.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
This is fascinating from a game theory standpoint. The moderates can back a candidate in unison and beat Bernie but will not be able to easily consolidate

Yeah, it is fascinating, but it's not moderates vs. Bernie, it's all six of them all trying to win. There is no collective "team moderate" that exists, not in voters' minds nor in the candidates themselves. To each of them, quitting just means losing.

Sanders doesn't have to cut any deal if he has the majority of the delegates and votes.

Majority sure, large plurality , yeah. This is an easy thing.

Weak plurality (the only relevant scenario) - any candidate is going to need to cut deals and ensure a smooth second vote, we either are in this all together in unison or we hang separately.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it is fascinating, but it's not moderates vs. Bernie, it's all six of them all trying to win. There is no collective "team moderate" that exists, not in voters' minds nor in the candidates themselves. To each of them, quitting just means losing.

Majority sure, large plurality , yeah. This is an easy thing.

Weak plurality (the only relevant scenario) - any candidate is going to need to cut deals and ensure a smooth second vote, we either are in this all together in unison or we hang separately.
Again wrong. Anyone who had less of a plurality than sanders has even less of an argument than he does, even if he has a weak plurality (but still more than everyone else). They can try to fuck around all they want in that scenario but to do so would come at the expense of their own party. Sanders is smart enough to know that.

Oct 28, 2017
Let me know when Bernie is on board with nuking the filibuster, then I'll agree he'll fight hard enough to get people the best deal possible. Until such a time he's just putting a bigger starting bid on a lost cause.

There's an argument that he's done more than Democrat has done to shift the window left.

Just this week, you had a presidential candidate do the following:
  1. Directly called Bibi a racist during a primary debate.
  2. Trashed AIPAC for harbouring bigotry.
  3. Unequivocally told the world that he believes Palestinians deserve the same right to live in security as Israelis.
And the debate room cheered. Can you imagine any Democratic Presidential nominee sticking to their guns with their criticism of Israel? Even Bloomberg could read the room. Everything isn't just playing political games and hedging your bets on policy, sometimes doing the right thing is what people expect from you. I'm not talking about Obama trying to be dignified about his idea of a two state solution, I'm talking about calling a spade a spade.

Like I said, no one gives a shit about Warren and her plans. They want that progressive fire from her that had rich assholes sweating, not this technocrat detailing her plans in minute detail and hedging her bets because she thinks about political realities.

Last edited:

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Let me know when Bernie is on board with nuking the filibuster, then I'll agree he'll fight hard enough to get people the best deal possible. Until such a time he's just putting a bigger starting bid on a lost cause.
I have a hard time believing that a scenario in which the only thing standing between Bernie Sanders and Medicare for All is the filibuster and he just throws up his hands and says "well, we tried!" The people who elected him would not stand for that shit, we would march.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thread regarding a possible plan of attack for Warren in this race, definitely give it a look, even if with a grain of salt.

TLDR: There's a chance Warren's true intent at this point is to scoop up voters who want an alternative to Bernie in order to prevent them from voting for Biden/Bloomberg. The more unviable candidates in the race, the better Bernie does, so stealing votes from the big threats, even if she knows she's out of the race herself, helps Bernie's chances of a majority. If this is true, it could explain why she has almost exclusively targeted Bloomberg and only attacks Bernie on unsubstantive issues (Bernie Bros, superdelegates, etc) that she knows won't actually sway any on-the-fence Bernie voters.
Bernie remains the only remotely decent candidate on foreign policy
As a Bernie supporter since 2016, if I heard this back then I'd have laughed.
His campaign also wrongfully breached Hillary's campaign data so unless you have concrete evidence of foul play this "the DNC rigged the nomination" nonsense is a total nonstarter.
There's no way in hell the same sane-minded person wrote the beginning and end of this sentence consecutively.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time believing that a scenario in which the only thing standing between Bernie Sanders and Medicare for All is the filibuster and he just throws up his hands and says "well, we tried!" The people who elected him would not stand for that shit, we would march.

Filibuster is something you get rid of at the start of 2021 though otherwise it's too late,

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Bernie remains the only remotely decent candidate on foreign policy

lmao

This needs to be brought up every time someone says Sanders and Warren are the same. The foreign policies are like night and day. It honestly comes off that most don't give a shit about foreign affairs and I don't know why there isn't as much shame there as there are with any other issues.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Filibuster is something you get rid of at the start of 2021 though otherwise it's too late,
That's if we win the senate.. in which case my comment still stands. If Sanders squanders a trifecta because he doesn't want to nuke the filibuster then I will be mighty pissed. And again, I don't see us getting to that bridge and not crossing it. This is what Sanders has said regarding the filibuster:

"Bernie Sanders" said:
whether you're in the majority or the minority, I think you have to protect minority rights. I don't think you can just simply shove everything through. There's an argument for that, by the way, but that's not where I am right now.

Now what do you think the argument for that is? I'm guessing it MIGHT be somewhere around implementing his core policy that has propelled him to where he is now. If he thinks healthcare is a right, he's not letting the filibuster stop that from happening.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
). They can try to fuck around all they want in that scenario but to do so would come at the expense of their own party. Sanders is smart enough to know that.

He's smart enough to ensure a unifying convention at any cost if he has a weak plurality. This will mean some concessions so the majority of the party that didn't vote for him has their voices heard and we all leave pretty happy!

If Bernie wants to fight, he won't get one. The DNC supers will dumpster him and cut a deal among the most number of supers and delegates that causes the least amount damage under a unifier (such as Warren).

I mean, the point is that if Bernie has the plurality, as long as he's a rational actor he gets the nomination. But viva la revolution Bernie rolling in with a frontloaded 30% delegate share w/ a lead from one state (CA) and just expecting everyone else to just bend the knee is completely ridiculous.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's an argument that he's done more than Democrat has done to shift the window left.

Just this week, you had a presidential candidate do the following:
  1. Directly called Bibi a racist during a primary debate.
  2. Trashed AIPAC for harbouring bigotry.
  3. Unequivocally told the world that he believes Palestinians deserve the same right to live in security as Israelis.
And the debate room cheered. Can you imagine any Democratic Presidential nominee sticking to their guns with their criticism of Israel? Even Bloomberg could read the room. Everything isn't just playing political games and hedging your bets on policy, sometimes doing the right thing is what people expect from you. I'm not talking about Obama trying to be dignified about his idea of a two state solution, I'm talking about calling a spade a spade.

Like I said, no one gives a shit about Warren and her plans. They want that progressive fire from her that had rich assholes sweating, not this technocrat detailing her plans in minute detail and hedging her bets because she thinks about political realities.

Bernie can't singlehandedly dismantle the American Empire, but god, I hope he can get the conversation going.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
He's smart enough to ensure a unifying convention at any cost if he has a weak plurality. This will mean some concessions so the majority of the party that didn't vote for him has their voices heard and we all leave pretty happy!

If Bernie wants to fight, he won't get one. The DNC supers will dumpster him and cut a deal among the most number of supers and delegates that causes the least amount damage under a unifier (such as Warren).

I mean, the point is that if Bernie has the plurality, as long as he's a rational actor he gets the nomination. But viva la revolution Bernie rolling in with a frontloaded 30% delegate share w/ a lead from one state (CA) and just expecting everyone else to just bend the knee is completely ridiculous.
Nah screw that I believe in popular vote. Most votes wins. If they want to cut deals then Bernie should threaten to run 3rd party. I'm so fucking sick of this party.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally have no opinion on the filibuster issue because it's way above my understanding tbh, but wouldn't defeating the filibuster just mean that whenever a Republican majority comes back into power, they can pass whatever they want with no resistance? Ofc Bernie's plan of budget reconciliation sets the same precedent, but people keep talking about ending the filibuster as if it's some massive partisan victory.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nah screw that I believe in popular vote. Most votes wins. If they want to cut deals then Bernie should threaten to run 3rd party. I'm so fucking sick of this party.

Here's the actual truth - nobody is voting for Bernie Sanders. I didn't vote for Sanders in '16, Edwards in '08, or Kerry in '04.

I voted for Delegates for those candidates, who then go to the convention to choose the actual nominee.

If there is no majority, then the three thousand odd delegates in Milwaukee, will have to come to an agreement on a platform, and a ticket.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I personally have no opinion on the filibuster issue because it's way above my understanding tbh, but wouldn't defeating the filibuster just mean that whenever a Republican majority comes back into power, they can pass whatever they want with no resistance? Ofc Bernie's plan of budget reconciliation sets the same precedent, but people keep talking about ending the filibuster as if it's some massive partisan victory.

The reason why ending the filibuster is good, is because at the moment, Republican's can say "I support crazy thing x" in a primary, to win a primary, and even vote for that crazy thing once in Washington, secure in the knowledge that it'll never pass because of the filibuster requirement. Then, they can go back and say, "I voted for crazy thing x, but those damn RINO's and Democrat's blocked me, so we just need real true conservatives blah blah..."

It is true if remove the filibuster, the GOP can pass a whole lot of terrible things.

The difference is, well, then they'd actually have to run on all the terrible things they just passed. There's a reason why the Obamacare repeal was a mess, because the Senator's knew it'd be terrible politically, if they agreed ideologically, and had publicly supported a repeal.

A GOP without the cushion of a filibuster to block their worst ideas is one that will either lose elections because they pass unpopular things, or move enough to the middle where their candidates are no longer promising crazy things.

It's important to note that up until the past ten years or so, the filibuster was basically only used in regards to the Civil Rights and everything else, passed on a 50-vote requirement, because even people who didn't support a bill didn't filibuster every damn thing they opposed.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
How do you even end the filibuster without 60 votes required to change senate rules?

Even if Dems got a majority they won't have the votes to end it.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How do you even end the filibuster without 60 votes required to change senate rules?

Even if Dems got a majority they won't have the votes to end it.

You only need a majority to change the Senate rules at the beginning of a session. Why that's not filibusterable is weird arcane crap even a dork like me doesn't know. Now, the Democrat's may still not have the votes because of institutionalists within their own caucus, but at worst, you'll likely have more stringent filibuster requirements (aka - actual talking filibusters required) or the lowering of cloture to 55.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
Here's the actual truth - nobody is voting for Bernie Sanders. I didn't vote for Sanders in '16, Edwards in '08, or Kerry in '04.

I voted for Delegates for those candidates, who then go to the convention to choose the actual nominee.

If there is no majority, then the three thousand odd delegates in Milwaukee, will have to come to an agreement on a platform, and a ticket.
Yes, and that's why the candidate's names don't appear on the ballo-

Oh, wait, that's all that's on the ballot? GTF with that sophistry.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
You only need a majority to change the Senate rules at the beginning of a session. Why that's not filibusterable is weird arcane crap even a dork like me doesn't know. Now, the Democrat's may still not have the votes because of institutionalists within their own caucus, but at worst, you'll likely have more stringent filibuster requirements (aka - actual talking filibusters required) or the lowering of cloture to 55.

I hate this.

Time to rewrite these arcane rules.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Elizabeth, worst case Bernie is being a hypocrite.
Idc. Idc. Idc.
If we go to a convention and Bernie gets the most votes, but doesnt end up the nominee, Trump will be reelected, for sure. Republicans are the ones that justify the most heinous things, purely base on accusations of hypocrisy. We need Trump out of office, and it's pretty clear at this point Bernie will get at least a plurality.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Technically true but extremely disingenuous.
Here's a fun scenario: what if Clinton won the electoral college but your state's electors decided to go for Trump, thus changing who's gonna be president?
Would you be saying "oh well, we didn't actually vote for Clinton, we voted for the delegates"

Also the comparisons to a parliamentary system are completely misguided, and anyone making them is really showing their ass. In a parliamentary system you vote for a party and depending on the results they end up in a coalition. This is voting for just one person to be the candidate, the only things that could be asked of the plurality winner is some cabinet picks, not to leave the candidacy to someone else. That would destroy the party and give the election to Trump.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Also god damn at that Nevada comparison, this is actually a pretty good way to highlight Bernie's unbelievable performance there

Yeah, I think this was a fair point to make pre-Nevada. Post-Nevada it's brain dead. Bernie killed it there (along with a lot of my anxiety about him becoming the nominee).

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Technically true but extremely disingenuous.
Here's a fun scenario: what if Clinton won the electoral college but your state's electors decided to go for Trump, thus changing who's gonna be president?
Would you be saying "oh well, we didn't actually vote for Clinton, we voted for the delegates"

Also the comparisons to a parliamentary system are completely misguided, and anyone making them is really showing their ass. In a parliamentary system you vote for a party and depending on the results they end up in a coalition. This is voting for just one person to be the candidate, the only things that could be asked of the plurality winner is some cabinet picks, not to leave the candidacy to someone else. That would destroy the party and give the election to Trump.

So, if Joe Biden ends up with 33% of the delegates because he incredibly overpreforms in the South, Bernie has 30%, and Warren has 21%, you'd have absolutely no issues and would say Bernie should release his delegates to Biden immediately to put him over the top without asking for any concessions at all?

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, if Joe Biden ends up with 33% of the delegates because he incredibly overpreforms in the South, Bernie has 30%, and Warren has 21%, you'd have absolutely no issues and would say Bernie should release his delegates to Biden immediately to put him over the top without asking for any concessions at all?
Did you read my post? I talked about concessions.
If Biden gets a plurality he should be top of the ticket, I'm not gonna pretend to know how many concessions he should give (probably a lot in that scenario!) but he should be the presidential candidate.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest, I think in a case where the top person is only 3% ahead of the second person in a contested convention, no matter who wins there's gonna be enough dissatisfied people to give the election to Trump. Like, that scenario is a nightmare that I don't really even want to contemplate.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, Bernie ought to do the same exact thing as in 2016 in that case. But I'm less concerned with being consistent and "right" on matters of Machiavellian process shit than I am in leftists properly wielding power to create a more equitable society.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017

oh come on now dawg

come on maynneeee

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I've already said why saying Bernie is hypocritical on rules is bullshit from an objective point of view using the critics own framing, but really if i'm being honest fuck that. I don't give a shit about the rules of an undemocratic process. I don't care about being consistent. This is a war and I want to win.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I've already said why saying Bernie is hypocritical on rules is bullshit from an objective point of view using the critics own framing, but really if i'm being honest fuck that. I don't give a shit about the rules of an undemocratic process. I don't care about being consistent. This is a war and I want to win.

If silly rules are ignored or slightly bent to make America a better place for all Americans and the World in general, that's not the worst thing.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
That Clemson poll from earlier today for South Carolina that showed Biden with an 18 point lead sure had me worried until I realized only 17% of the respondents were 40 years old or younger, lmao. Young people gotta turn out.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Biden's idea is to change filibuster rules without getting rid of it. Bernie's idea is to basically abuse budget reconciliation to get around filibusters. Both are basically trying to get filibuster busting like results without getting rid of the filibuster, which I suppose the logic is that the votes are likely not there to get rid of the filibuster altogether, but... Like, on the budget reconcilation abuse thing, I don't see the people that would be against nuking the filibuster to be for that, and filibuster rule change is so vague that you'd be relying on whatever the consensus of the dem Senate on what should be in a filibuster break. Like, in a 55 cloture scenario where the dems have 50-52 seats there wouldn't even really be any moderate republicans left to get even the barest, limpest of things done.

Also, I'd bet money that McConnell tries to put the judicial filibuster back up in a lame duck to force dems into the awkward position of re-dismantling it rather than just gliding through some nominations without changing the rules. There might be enough cross-over votes for that (since quite a few dem Senators have pledged to put the judicial filibuster back up and they'd be getting called out on that) to just put it back up.

Even putting aside all that, you'd be relying on marginal Senators in a 50-52 dem Senate, and those marginals would use any push back from the presidency as a badge in advertisements to show how independent they are, so things might be pretty screwed regardless.

Of course, this is assuming we get a narrow majority, which it's entirely possible we do not.

Best to hope for is new states, which every dem senator supports and would allow this clusterfuck to be lessened. You might even get a few pubs on board for Puerto Rico statehood.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Clay Aiken famously lost his season of American Idol but still went on to be a bigger and more prominent figure than the person who beat him. You'd think he'd have a more nuanced understanding of what winning is.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
TLDR: There's a chance Warren's true intent at this point is to scoop up voters who want an alternative to Bernie in order to prevent them from voting for Biden/Bloomberg. The more unviable candidates in the race, the better Bernie does, so stealing votes from the big threats, even if she knows she's out of the race herself, helps Bernie's chances of a majority. If this is true, it could explain why she has almost exclusively targeted Bloomberg and only attacks Bernie on unsubstantive issues (Bernie Bros, superdelegates, etc) that she knows won't actually sway any on-the-fence Bernie voters

Love Warren but she's not this savvy. She criticizes Bernie on those issues because that's the only daylight between them. You don't go through running for president unless you want to be the president real bad. Probably her case is being a good alternative in a contested convention or some other contingency

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Honest question, if Bernie gets elected but the Dems cannot take the Senate and as such cannot put into law some of the policies that are important to his campaign, will you judge him this way too? I don't particularly like some aspects of the Obama presidency, his foreign policy being chief among them, but Obama being sucker punched by people like Joe Libermann over healthcare isn't totally his fault either.

Also Williamson being right in a "broken clock is right twice a day" way doesn't change the fact she belongs in the Green Party thinking Wi-Fi causes cancer with Jill Stein.

You know, late to the convo but honestly, yeah, better listen to someone in the green party than someone who would not bat an eyelid at increasing drone strikes halfway across the world, murdering civilians in a continous fashion. And that includes both republican and democrat presidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.