• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Will be interesting to see over next few months if she does fall into the line and adapts more traditional and suppressed means of doing business in Washington.

The effort, described by nearly 20 lawmakers and aides, is part carrot, part stick: Some lawmakers with ties to Ocasio-Cortez are hoping to coax her into using her star power to unite Democrats and turn her fire on Republicans. Others simultaneously warn Ocasio-Cortez is destined for a lonely, ineffectual career in Congress if she continues to treat her own party as the enemy.

"I'm sure Ms. Cortez means well, but there's almost an outstanding rule: Don't attack your own people," said Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.). "We just don't need sniping in our Democratic Caucus."
Incumbent Democrats are most annoyed by Ocasio-Cortez's threat to back primary opponents against members of their ranks she deems too moderate. But their frustration goes beyond that: Democratic leaders are upset that she railed against their new set of House rules on Twitter the first week of the new Congress. Rank and file are peeved that there's a grassroots movement to try to win her a top committee post they feel she doesn't deserve.
So far, most of them have kept their criticism of Ocasio-Cortez private, fearful she'll sic her massive following on them by firing off a tweet. But a few are engaging with her in the hopes she'll opt for a different M.O., especially when it comes to trying to take out Democrats in primaries.

Rep. Nydia Velázquez (D-N.Y.) is playing a key role. Like Ocasio-Cortez, Velázquez knocked off a longtime Democratic incumbent to win her seat, and they share Puerto Rican roots.

In private conversations with Ocasio-Cortez over the past few months, Velázquez counseled Ocasio-Cortez against targeting her Democratic colleagues in future elections. The two had a "long, long conversation" about the dynamics of Congress and Washington, and how there shouldn't be a "litmus test" for every district, Velázquez said in a recent interview.
"I think she needs to give herself an opportunity to know her colleagues and to give herself a sense of the chemistry of the body before passing judgment on anyone or anything," said Rep. Yvette Clarke, a fellow New York Democrat.

"She's new here, feeling her way around," added Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.). "She doesn't understand how the place works yet."
Ocasio-Cortez is an enigma to most House Democrats. She's very friendly in person, chatting up fellow lawmakers and security workers in the Capitol as she's tailed by admirers and reporters.

Then they see the Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter, where she frequently snaps at critics and occasionally at fellow Democrats.
"People are afraid of her," said one senior Democratic aide.
House Democrats were also unhappy when she made a play for a seat on the powerful Ways and Means Committee. Lawmakers suspected Ocasio-Cortez was behind a massive online campaign pressing Pelosi to appoint her to the panel, though her office said she was not.

Critics inside the caucus felt she didn't deserve it, given her lack of professional experience on tax issues and her status as a freshman.

"It totally pissed off everyone," said one senior House Democratic lawmaker of the campaign. "You don't get picked for committees by who your grass-roots [supporters] are."
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-democrats-establisment-1093728

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't heard about the Ways and Means committee seat she was trying to get on. Guaranteed that ruffled almost every feather it could.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Politico is full of shit and has been posting anonymously sourced hit pieces against Dems for months now. They literally posted one about AOC back in November saying that she got into a heated argument with a senior Dem and she went on Twitter to say that it was all lies.

This thread is useless.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like pretty normal and reasonable criticisms to me

Especially trying to make a play for the committee seat, that's a sure fire way to get people to side eye you

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Well she is totally new to this. She does have to work with her fellow Democrats if she wants to successfully enact any of her agenda.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah peeps are afraid of her, she's has serious juice right now and if that keeps going she could usurp a lot of them

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a time and place for everything I guess. Get the GOP out of power first.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
It's like the Chapo Trap House caricature of democratic fumbling ineffectualism has come to life and is currently running ramshod over Tokyo.

They need to understand that she's pretty much the only one that people actually like.

Oct 26, 2017
What did she have against the new House rules? Everything else I think was fair game for her, but that piece really surprises me.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
We just going to forget that AOC herself called out Politico on their anonymously sourced lies just a couple months ago?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If I have any hope in elected officials, it's in her and her unwavering focus on what's right.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't heard about the Ways and Means committee seat she was trying to get on. Guaranteed that ruffled almost every feather it could.

Yeah... She's gotta put in some more time first. That's how it works and she doesn't seem to want to play by the old rules.

Which I get, to a degree... But she doesn't want to blow up her career before it takes off the ground. She's not even 30 yet, and already has massive popularity and recognition. Chill out and learn the ropes.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Very happy to hear this. We need nothing sort of extremely radical change in all facets of American politics to save this planet.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
If anyone needs to be able to disagree with each other and use that to work towards better solutions for us all, it's the motherfucking Democratic party. Harmful mentality even though we see it work incredibly well on the other side.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Politico is full of shit and has been posting anonymously sourced hit pieces against Dems for months now. They literally posted one about AOC back in November saying that she got into a heated argument with a senior Dem and she went on Twitter to say that it was all lies.

This thread is useless.
Agreed, this is a non-story. Just the same, I'm sure this will go 10-12 pages, nonetheless.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
In a brief exchange off the House floor recently, she said she wasn't interested in backing progressive candidates against incumbent Democrats — contradicting her own words after the midterms. She also criticized POLITICO for publishing a story suggesting she considered backing a primary opponent against rising star Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), who many believe could become the first black speaker.

"I'm focused on my job," Ocasio-Cortez said.

Her spokesman, Corbin Trent, added: "There has been a change in focus — though not a change in ideology."

Some House Democrats aren't convinced. They've noticed that Ocasio-Cortez has hired two former organizers from the anti-establishment group Justice Democrats to run her office. One of them, her new chief of staff Saikat Chakrabarti, told supporters during a November conference call that "we gotta primary folks."
Ocasio-Cortez appeared to agree with him during the call, arguing that "all Americans know money in politics is a huge problem, but unfortunately the way that we fix it is by demanding that our incumbents give it up or by running fierce campaigns ourselves."

"Long story short, I need you to run for office," she told progressive activists on the call. "That's really what we need to do to save this country."

Comments like that got Ocasio-Cortez off on the wrong foot with her colleagues, to say the least.

As for why the two sources are saying they are afraid of her:
Two House Democratic sources compared her use of Twitter to Donald Trump's. Just as congressional Republicans constantly withhold criticism of the president out of fear he'll unleash a tweet at them, some Democrats have done the same with Ocasio-Cortez.

"People are afraid of her," said one senior Democratic aide.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck that shit. If youre a good politician you have nothing to be afraid of. There are pieces of shit in the Democratic party and they need to get called the fuck out too.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This thread is useless.
This was literally what was going through my mind. It and The Hill late becoming TMZ-levels of drivel.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I think she needs to give herself an opportunity to know her colleagues and to give herself a sense of the chemistry of the body before passing judgment on anyone or anything," said Rep. Yvette Clarke, a fellow New York Democrat.

This is the kind of idiocy that leads Democrats to befriend Republicans and act like they just have minor disagreements on things. Fuck that. We would be better off if more Democrats factored policy into how they judge their colleagues.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Generally speaking, you don't want members from super safe districts firebombing the rest of the caucus who don't have that luxury. Otherwise you because Paul Ryan and the Tea Party wing that stop you from doing anything at all.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Old people screaming about how they deserve thing based on senority and precendent again?

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... She's gotta put in some more time first. That's how it works and she doesn't seem to want to play by the old rules.

Which I get, to a degree... But she doesn't want to blow up her career before it takes off the ground. She's not even 30 yet, and already has massive popularity and recognition. Chill out and learn the ropes.
I trust AOCs judgment. a lot of these democrats are rebublican lite and corporate lobbyist corrupt. I hope she sticks to her principals. That and only that is why she's popular and why she got elected.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Well she is totally new to this. She does have to work with her fellow Democrats if she wants to successfully enact any of her agenda.

Agreed. I haven't seen AOC do anything that feels wrong yet but she'll need the assistance of her colleagues and others to get things done. At least until she gets Trump levels of juice where everyone has to dance to her drum if they want to have a career in the party.

Oct 27, 2017
When it's constructive, It's a sign of a healthy caucus imo. I worry how constructive it can be though when the reaction by some dems is to go hard on the defense.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When both left and right accuse Politico of running biased hit pieces, you know they're doing something right.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The more people criticize her the more I end up on her side. Why don't more young people get off their asses and run for office?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
How can you be sure of that? She's been in office a week. We have no idea how her career will go.

It was just a pithy statement suggesting a justification for her actions, but I'm wondering - on reading it back - if it was written too ambiguously.

I *meant* "I'm sure that when they act like Democrats, she won't (go after other Dems)", not "I'm sure that when they act like Democrats, she won't (act like a Dem herself)"

Last edited:

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Why I could never be a politician. AOC is tame compared to what I really want out of a progressive.

I don't think the older people are aware that the next class of politicians grew up watching Dubya destroy the country, saw Obama attempt to fix it and get shit on constantly for it, and are now witnessing the end of the American experiment with President Shitbag;' not to mention the existential threats we will have to live with that our parents necessarily won't (automation destroying jobs and climate change destroying everything).

If the young folks come off as angry and tired, it's for a damn good reason.