• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Good for her they need to be worried. We aren't voting for Democrats to be moderate in the face of this GOP ultra conservative bullshit. We need more people like AOC, young with great ideas that will really help people. If anything, this article just shows me how much the Democratic party doesn't understand what younger voters actually want.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
What I want is to run strong candidates for their districts. I want to win seats, and then we will test the waters to see what will have enough support to pass. I want a constituency that understands how basic government functions work so they can become more involved, and have realistic expectations.

I'm not even against most of her ideas, honestly, but it's going to be a hard sell for the middle of America. Throw me in the 'incremental progress is better than potentially no progress' camp. If that makes me a moderate, then so be it.

In today's politic, you need the POTUS, the House, and a 60-40 majority of *reliable* votes to get a single fucking thing of merit accomplished. How do we get there? Until we do, these conversations are largely moot.

I understand your perspective and why you feel that way. I also just think time isn't something we have a lot of.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you on climate change. I fear for the future for my little ones. The future is looking very bleak and will get far worse before it gets better. I was just as disappointed to see the policy change as well.

I wouldn't go as far as calling anyone an enemy. This is exactly the divisive language the DNC should avoid. This stuff opens the party up to be exploited by external forces.
personally i think that failing to name the enemy that needs to be defeated has been the great weakness of the party for quite some time. people know there are powerful interests in the world working against the common good. republicans direct that sentiment toward minorities and foreigners to great effect, it would make a lot of sense for the democrats to do it along class lines. it's the entire reason bernie sanders is popular.

of course the reason they don't do it is because most democratic politicians and their funders are members of that antagonistic upper class.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Yo man, you're pissing off the donors. You can you at least try to be more civil and only aim for incremental changes?"

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
So the narrative they are going for is that other dems are only afraid of her because they are just worried she will be ineffective unless she falls in line with the party?

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. /s

Edit: that quote!

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
They should be scared of her. She and a bunch of freshman democratic representative reflect a new shift in the Democratic party. Democrats voters should be looking long and hard at the type of people we want to represent us going forward. I don't want another unifier like Obama, give me a fighter, I want someone that punches back and AOC does that.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not at all, most would agree that nationalism is right, and fascism is even more right than that
giphy.gif

Oct 30, 2017
Anytime you use political strength, someone's toes are going to be stepped on.
Either get with her, or step aside.

Anyone trying to reign her in is trying to destroy her.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
not at all, most would agree that nationalism is right, and fascism is even more right than that

Did you mean "right-leaning" instead of "right"? As in, right on the political spectrum? Because a very minimal number of individuals actually agree with fascism.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
They're afraid of losing lobbyist dollars and nothing more.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
She is going to end up being a disaster for Democrats I think in the long run.
You need an adult in the room to be real leaders like Kamala Harris. She is only 29 and has time to grow but you don't pass bills or create laws by getting the most likes on twitter

Right now she is all talk. Let's see how good she really is when she has to pass bills and work with differing opinions. With the current state, she won't be able to accomplish much

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
AOC is probably the best thing that has happend in a long time. justice dems, our revolution, brand new congress and others needs to get more people like her in congress pronto.

The old establishment of the dems and GOP cant win against her cause she is the antithesis to them.

When she criticizes money in politics through government corruption, or social inequity, people will listen because she attracts people from all sides, both from a leftist populist perspective and civil rights advocate perspective.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You need an adult in the room to be real leaders like Kamala Harris. She is only 29 and has time to grow but you don't pass bills or create laws by getting the most likes on twitter

Sit down whoopi goldberg.

Kamala harris is no more a leader on any issue than you'd claim AOC is, and AOC has commanded far bigger a movement than Harris has and already inspired a large contingent of people to fight for issues they care about. For Harris, i don't call people who buckle under institutions leaders in any sense, especially when it comes to big power players directly fucking up our system.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where I'm at, tbh

I LOVE her clapbacks and calling out GOP fuckery.

But to actually try to get on the Ways and Means Committee as a freshman? hahaha get the fuck out of here and build your policy wonk street cred.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a 29 year old with passion over many "adults" in the democratic party who vote for more war and corporate tax cuts because it's the "adult" thing to do.
Your comment sounds just a DNC bot generated comment, so generic.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolute nonsense.

He sided with Wall Street over the people whose lives they fucked over.

He was progressive socially but he wouldn't dare touch the system that's screwing people over. He bailed it out, when people wanted a politician who fights for the people.

That's the void AOC is filling, vs the Democrats who don't want to rock the boat and bite the hand that feeds them even though that hand is slowly strangling their constituents who they are supposed to represent

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Where I'm at, tbh

I LOVE her clapbacks and calling out GOP fuckery.

But to actually try to get on the Ways and Means Committee as a freshman? hahaha get the fuck out of here and build your policy wonk street cred.

The fact that she has the power to do that shows her credibility in itself. It shows that all you need is a force of message and an actual coherent policy viewpoint to gain strength. You dont need "political experience" in how washington works to acquire it. That's because conventional political experience in washington is directly what she is fighting against. Upturning the applecart and all that.

Its mind boggling to me how blind partisan people can be. "Oh i like how you say witty things about the GOP, but no challenging institutions of power or really affecting change!"

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He was progressive socially but he wouldn't dare touch the system that's screwing people over. He bailed it out, when people wanted a politician who fights for the people.

That's the void AOC is filling, vs the Democrats who don't want to rock the boat and bite the hand that feeds them even though that hand is slowly strangling their constituents who they are supposed to represent

Obama didn't bail out Wall Street. Bush did.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that she has the power to do that shows her credibility in itself. It shows that all you need is a force of message and an actual policy viewpoint to gain strength. You dont need "political experience" in how washington works to acquire it. Because conventional political experience in washington is directly what she is fighting against.
Political experience is dogwhistle for part of the good ol' boys club. You know, bought and paid for.

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah peeps are afraid of her, she's has serious juice right now and if that keeps going she could usurp a lot of them
She's very aggressive with her agenda and I worry that going too hard will alienate her from her colleagues and make it harder for her to effectively sponsor bills and actually make that change a reality. She's done a good job thus far but I could easily see her slipping up and really harming her potential within the House, which hopefully doesn't happen.
Yeah the publicity her platform is getting is great but right now she's a Congresswoman. She can't get anything federal done on her own. I think it's better for her to cooperate a little and get some of her platform an actual chance at legislative access.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Obama didn't bail out Wall Street. Bush did.

I think what he is saying is that Obama enabled the entire aftermath and culture of Wallstreet after he took office, right after the crash. Sending the wrong message on how to deal with corporate malfeasance based on simply letting those institutions take however much money they wanted without stipulation and grow much bigger than before. Putting Ben Bernanke and Timothy Geithner on board in addition to Goldman sachs lobbyists in the cabinet doesn't help either.

Not even advocating for re implementation something basic like glass steagal(which clinton personally put an end to), that is, not being able to gamble with funds of normal people within the half baked "wall street bill", that was trumped up said a lot.

Political experience is dogwhistle for part of the good ol' boys club. You know, bought and paid for.

oh i am well aware, hence my statement

Last edited:

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

And he is still not a Republican.
Stop to endless war and droning countless civilians
Endless wars = isolationist policy, which does not work when you are the world's super power. You can blame Bush for the US being involved in the Middle East, we cannot just leave those countries after we have destroyed them, it's our responsibility to rebuild them.

And I'm not advocating for civilan deaths, but they will happen. Drones are likely to prevent more deaths then on the ground troops.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
If Democrats think populism is going away, they have another thing coming.

The paradigm is now changed. You either evolve or you get left in the dust.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Hope she doesn't cave. "The way things work" is part of why politics in this country is so shit.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah the publicity her platform is getting is great but right now she's a Congresswoman. She can't get anything federal done on her own. I think it's better for her to cooperate a little and get some of her platform an actual chance at legislative access.

Its not a matter of whether or not one values cooperation, its a matter of whether one is willing to compromise ones values at the core. I am sure AOC is willing to do deals with her fellow democrats and even work across the aisle with the GOP, as long as its not a blatant hail mary against her constituents in favor of powerful entities, which is how Washington usually works. Even legislation passed that does some good for normal people is fully asterisked with the powerful interests in the room making sure it isnt what really needs to be done to inspire a positive seachange.