• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
And he is still not a Republican.

Endless wars = isolationist policy, which does not work when you are the world's super power. You can blame Bush for the US being involved in the Middle East, we cannot just leave those countries after we have destroyed them, it's our responsibility to rebuild them.

And I'm not advocating for civilan deaths, but they will happen. Drones are likely to prevent more deaths then on the ground troops.
It's incredibly telling and depressing that you conflate ending endless warfare with isolationism.

Oh and and it's super cool that drones prevent troop deaths but I'm a little more concerned with the innocent people getting murdered for no reason.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Endless wars = isolationist policy, which does not work when you are the world's super power. You can blame Bush for the US being involved in the Middle East, we cannot just leave those countries after we have destroyed them, it's our responsibility to rebuild them.

And yet they're still destroyed and things aren't getting much better even after 20 years. Afghanistan is especially fucked after all this and we have enabled tyrants and fundamentalists in the name of "rebuilding"

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
If Democrats think populism is going away, they have another thing coming.

The paradigm is now changed. You either evolve or you get left in the dust.
This is one of those "it depends" situations.

Any Dem that resides in a pure blue state needs to hop aboard the progressive bandwagon. Red and purple state Dems need to be afforded space to quibble but AOC shouldn't back down to any of their demands... just allow them the opportunity to gripe. They need to be afforded the opportunity to criticize the ideals she stands for otherwise there's a pretty good chance their constituents won't keep them around.

Manchin shouldn't be expected to evolve. Sinema shoudn't be expected to evolve.
Blue state Dems... primary those fuckers out if they don't get with the program.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And I'm not advocating for civilan deaths, but they will happen. Drones are likely to prevent more deaths then on the ground troops.
all this is the reasoning of a war hawk

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Saying we must stay in wars perpetually because "we have commitments" is just an excuse by the military machine to perpetually keep it up.

You created those "commitments" intentionally to create a situation where endless warfare is the most profitable and the only recourse from a perspective of intransigence.

To clean America's wounds, they will have to be reopened, and its going to hurt in numerous ways,

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying thinking about the people out there sweating when they think about what to do when she endorses Bernie.

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
Obama was a moderate Republican.

This is pure fiction.

You're right, he definitely wasn't moderate on foreign policy. Much closer to hard right.
Funny, then, that Bernie Sanders' foreign policy positions in 2016 were almost entirely just copy/pasted from Barack Obama. From Iran Deal, Syria strategy, all the way down to drone strikes.

Stop posturing. No one who is even remotely informed buys this.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
"She's new here, feeling her way around," added Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.). "She doesn't understand how the place works yet."

next time you're asking why supermajorities in our favor don't get a great deal accomplished, think about quotes like these

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny, then, that Bernie Sanders' foreign policy positions in 2016 were almost entirely just copy/pasted from Barack Obama. From Iran Deal, Syria strategy, all the way down to drone strikes.

the most sustained and consistent criticism sanders gets from the left is on foreign policy, and he has been moving away from the dem consensus there recently

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pure fiction.

It's a twisting of a quote where Obama says he could have been a moderate Republican in the 80s. Which is true, because the post-Civil Rights realignment was still in progress where parties were still much more ideologically diverse, and at that time, Elizabeth Warren was still a moderate Republican.

2008 Obama is nowhere close to being a moderate Republican - a moderate Republican would be someone like Boehner. (as in, not very moderate, but also not insane)

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Protecting people that we have taken responsibility for and assisting allies in self-defense is not being a "war hawk."

Giving reasons to never recede is the mindset of a warhawk. AMerica is the number one super power and the strongest and most abrasive military force in the world three times over. What your arguing for is a continuation Bush's axis of evil, what the GOP back then advocated for as the US's god given right of military dominance of the world perpetually, for any reason.

At one time, there was an actual left wing prominent counterpoint to that, which was "um, no." , but we're moving way too far to the right so that even well meaning people have been suckered into that mindset.

We have to get out of it.

That would require a full reassesment of stipulations for US military policy, and what requires an intervention and under what banner, and indeed, what parts of the military are no longer needed to be bolstered and what can be drawn down, as aghast as some might argue that is.

Obama advocated for a consensus based approach but dropped that and expanded his executive power, essentially abdicating congress's entire position on war time to the executive branch, allowing for this blatant explosion of military power.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I can't help but feel like when someone says "She doesn't get how this works yet", that person is basically telling me "The status quo must be maintained".

How it "works" is that it fucking *doesn't*.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
This is pure fiction.

You come in here claiming Obama and Sanders have the same foreign policy and I'm the one posturing? Gotcha.

Bernie is far from perfect but Obama was a total disaster.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
rFFVFXl.png

yeah, lets just keep doing it the same way we've always done things

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't help but feel like when someone says "She doesn't get how this works yet", that person is basically telling me "The status quo must be maintained".

Right, it's like they just want to live in the Obama presidency again. We literally cannot go back to a status quo that doesn't exist.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Shes going to double down and work herself into obscurity. Shes already been denied a seat on the finance committee.

Generally speaking this is the logical outcome but considering her age, if more up and coming dems of similar age start winning elections every two years she'll become the leadership in 6 years easy. The older dems are in for a very rude awakening if they don't fully grasp this possibility before they can think of a way of co-opting or countering it.

As for my own personal opinion, Politico is solid with their anonymous sources unless you want to disregard all the things they disclosed about the Trump admin and GOP primaries before they've proven to be true. They aren't going to be 100% right on everything but they are usually right.

Ocasio is well within her right to critique fellow Dems. We have been doing it for years in the bottom ranks and it's about time someone in the upper ranks did the same. Unlike Trump, when she uses twitter her comments are either backed with facts or are glib funny statements that resonate with dems under 40.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giving reasons to never recede is the mindset of a warhawk. AMerica is the number one super power and the strongest and most abrasive military force in the world three times over. What your arguing for is a continuation Bush's axis of evil, what the GOP back then advocated for as the US's god given right of military dominance of the world perpetually, for any reason.

At one time, there was an actual left wing prominent counterpoint to that, which was "um, no." , but we're moving way too far to the right so that even well meaning people have been suckered into that mindset.

We have to get out of it
I am not. I am saying that allowing the Taliban to return in Afghanistan is unacceptable. I am saying that promising to assist the Kurdish people then attempting to leave them high and dry w/ no notice is unacceptable. These are not situations where we are using force arbitrarily just because we have nothing to do, we are using it because these peoples are under attack by people who wish to do them harm, and there are circumstances in which we owe them assistance in protecting them from those people. Which yes, will involve deadly force, because deadly force is generally the appropriate response is when people are trying to kill your allies.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Some people think we are still in the 90's or in an episode of The West Wing.
I was about to say the same thing. People are so bought into the idea of politics being about insider wheeling and dealing that comes from experience within the system, that they completely miss the clash of values and interests that can only be resolved through the force of power.

Of course there's no need to make it harder on yourself by needlessly making enemies, but at the end of the day the only thing that's going to get them to give up power to an opposing ideology is fear of losing even more power if they don't.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Indeed, they're cowards who want to keep safely doing things they've always done. Even after getting beaten by a dumbass reality star.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I am not. I am saying that allowing the Taliban to return in Afghanistan is unacceptable. I am saying that promising to assist the Kurdish people then attempting to leave them high and dry w/ no notice is unacceptable. These are not situations where we are using force arbitrarily just because we have nothing to do, we are using it because these peoples are under attack by people who wish to do them harm, and there are circumstances in which we owe them assistance in protecting them from those people. Which yes, will involve deadly force, because deadly force is generally the appropriate response is when people are trying to kill your allies.

The problem is that your arguing for a unilateral response to a problem that largely has no direct issue with America. Your enabling the faulty premise of the war on terror with a military inherently designed to create and have to perpetually clean up its own messes, thus never needing to re-appropriate itself or reign itself in.That is LITERALLY the military industrial complex. It does not even have to be inherently evil or imperialistic like many of our ventures abroad, but a continuous drive to expand.

Making sure the kurds are not slaughtered is one thing, but you dont need an inherently military force always occupying syria to do that. in the way way, Afganistan because of us will always be at war with itself through many of our interventions over the decades in the country. you will never erase the taliban or the terrorism from these countries, especially with an outside force. To accept that narrative is to accept the US's unilateral right to invade or knock over any country which houses these types of forces.

Again, LITERALLY bush's axis of evil speech.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Fuck that shit. If youre a good politician you have nothing to be afraid of. There are pieces of shit in the Democratic party and they need to get called the fuck out too.

What is deemed a piece of shit in liberal New York may be the way to get elected in a more rural district. It seems she isn't taking the time to learn that.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
personally i think that failing to name the enemy that needs to be defeated has been the great weakness of the party for quite some time. people know there are powerful interests in the world working against the common good. republicans direct that sentiment toward minorities and foreigners to great effect, it would make a lot of sense for the democrats to do it along class lines. it's the entire reason bernie sanders is popular.

of course the reason they don't do it is because most democratic politicians and their funders are members of that antagonistic upper class.

Why make them enemies? No need to name the enemy when you can create policy and work towards change that undermines them while having them on your side. Republicans thrive on hatred and divisiveness. That's not what the DNC should be.

The party should avoid painting itself into a corner and being seen as hypocritical. Take for example what you said about taking fossil fuel PAC money as unacceptable to any reasonable person. Should DNC candidates not use means of travel that use fossil fuel? What about red meat? Giving up beef may reduce carbon footprint more than cars, so should the DNC not support farmers and people who eat beed? Are they an enemy? If you eat beef you're the enemy! I AM A PROGRESSIVE AND THIS IS WHAT A PROGRESSIVE IS AND EVERYONE ELSE IS THE ENEMY!!!!

I'm intentionally being overly sensational in order to make a point. There needs to be compromise. The party needs to be open to all. My original point was almost all of the DNC agrees on 95% of the issues so don't go crazy by calling someone an "enemy" over the 5% difference in positions. This divisive approach will not succeed.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why make them enemies? No need to name the enemy when you can create policy and work towards change that undermines them while having them on your side. Republicans thrive on hatred and divisiveness. That's not what the DNC should be.

The party should avoid painting itself into a corner and being seen as hypocritical. Take for example what you said about taking fossil fuel PAC money as unacceptable to any reasonable person. Should DNC candidates not use means of travel that use fossil fuel? What about red meat? Giving up beef may reduce carbon footprint more than cars, so should the DNC not support farmers and people who eat beed? Are they an enemy? If you eat beef you're the enemy! I AM A PROGRESSIVE AND THIS IS WHAT A PROGRESSIVE IS AND EVERYONE ELSE IS THE ENEMY!!!!

I'm intentionally being overly sensational in order to make a point. There needs to be compromise. The party needs to be open to all. My original point was almost all of the DNC agrees on 95% of the issues so don't go crazy by calling someone an "enemy" over the 5% difference in positions. This divisive approach will not succeed.
i don't want to "make" the rich and powerful my enemy, i want my representatives to acknowledge the fact that they already are my enemy. they work against my best interests and do not share common goals with me, and as long as they have influence in the democratic party they will use it to dilute and destroy necessary progress.

the ACA is an object lesson here. including the health insurance industry in the building of policy was a huge mistake because their interests are completely at odds with the general public, and the results speak for themselves. the next time democrats are able to craft healthcare legislation they need to treat the insurance companies as malicious actors because that's what they are.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
"She's new here, feeling her way around," added Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.). "She doesn't understand how the place works yet."

next time you're asking why supermajorities in our favor don't get a great deal accomplished, think about quotes like these
What about that quote isn't true?

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AOC in reaction to this article.

AOC
To quote Alan Moore: "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with YOU. You're locked up in here with ME."
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083759782098583553

I... god, I love her. I hope she keeps at it, at least til the next round of primaries. We just can't afford a milquetoast party that enables high polluting companies to just keep doind what their doing a little less than republicans. She speaks very intersectionally about social and economic issues. If she's pissing off people content with the status quo and working within narrow predetermined margins in this racist novo aristocratic country, she's doing something right in my book.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Trying to get into the Ways and Means Committee would be pretty lul-worthy, but honestly I'd expect it from anyone with her age and personality. She's very... enthusiastic.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This is partially true, yes.

But you still have to play by the rules to get anything of note accomplished in the Senate, unless you get a 60-40 margin*. I don't think many people here understand how her ideas are reviled among most people in the country... For ridiculous reasons, yes, but a lot of her policy ideals are going to be a hard sell in rural America.

Rural America voted for Trump unanimously(?). They are too stupid to see a con artist for what he is. There is no point in trying to sell them anything. All we can do is make promises that regardless of how they vote we'll take care of the idiots.

We're going to have ignore how they think and carry them like the burden they are into modernity. They have serious issues with infrastructure and an aging demographic and they need help with that and there are solutions to it but they don't even know how to vote for someone who can promise solutions that take advantage of our assets and inspire the smartest among them to stay and build instead of fleeing to cities.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Fuck all that she can do what the fuck she wants. Tired if these hoe ass democrats that ain't got no heart.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the heat on her gets too hot, the Justice Democrats could always take down people by proxy.
"punching left is OK but punching right isn't"
That's not it. For example, I am Black and I despise racists. Who do I hate more than racists? Sellout Uncle Toms. Being against Trump and Republicans goes without saying. In fact, Trump is such low hanging fruit and the focus on him can be corny at times. He is a symptom of a larger problem which hypocritical Democrats have contributed to themselves. Punching centre-right is ok under the circumstances.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
And dems wonder why they can't get grassroots energy behind them. They don't want to speak to, or for, their constituents. They just want to keep their country club going. They're sworn to protect the status quo when nobody fucking likes the status quo.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It is strange that the "fall in line" folks are quiet. Without Bernie's name invoked they don't know how to react anymore?

Sanders has been made a pure political foil by his enemies as his own personal character, to deter people from the progressive message he has been championing for many years.

That's why its so amusing to see AOC, to be able to come in and actually be a full throated progressive in the same vein with the exact same policy views without the strawmen being able to be hurled at her and being effectively neutralized when tried by either establishment dems or the GOP. That just proves how fake they were from the start.

That is what Justice Dems was attempting from the start, so they should not stop here when it comes to getting people set up running for office, AOC and the other newcomers are just the start

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Token from that episode of South Park, "Politico doesn't speak for all Democrats". This isn't as big of an issue as they are hyping it. The party isn't out to get her or anything and AOC herself is much more pragmatic and "moderate' then she's being portrayed.