Demographics Era: How old are you? (Poll reset and updated)

How old are you Era?

• 18 and under

Votes: 8 0.5%
  • 19 - 24

Votes: 193 12.1%
  • 25 - 30

Votes: 512 32.2%
  • 31 - 39

Votes: 706 44.4%
  • 40 +

Votes: 170 10.7%

• Total voters

jacob.armitage

And that went well, so I'm compelled
Oct 25, 2017
Poll updated, we can only have 5 categories but hopefully that'll give us a bit of a better range of answers. Apologies for lumping everyone 40+ together, if it makes you feel any better, i'm getting close to that category myself.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Poll options still seem crappy to me. I want to know how many 18, 19, 20 and 21 year olds are on this forum. Maybe an offsite poll could work better?

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't web forum culture in general kind of an old person's game, relatively speaking? All the kids are snapchatting and instagramming and tiktokking and discording. What high-school/college person wants to register an account for an individual discussion board that you have to read inside a web browser like it's 2003? It would be like a mid-00s teen looking for the latest content via BBS instead of IGN. It still has value, especially for those of us that grew up using it, but it's being inevitably superseded by other formats. Hopefully they'll still have large-print versions of Era and Reddit and MetaFilter in the retirement home.
You can’t have extended discussion on a Snapchat or Instagram, so forums like this ideally will always have a niche.

jacob.armitage

And that went well, so I'm compelled
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe an offsite poll could work better?
Might not be a bad idea, can always keep that idea for next time we do one of these threads.

Last time we did one of these on the old stomping grounds, which was around 7 years ago or so, the average age was 28 I believe.

Oct 25, 2017
I am really surprised by those numbers. I never would have imagined that the majority here was in their 30s. Then again, I’m the rare mid-20s millennial who doesn’t have a Snapchat or Instagram and enjoys movies from the 60s, 70s, and 80s (according to my Letterboxd ratings)

Oct 26, 2017
40. We skew a lot older than I thought. I would have guessed early 20s was the median. That does not appear to be the case.

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't web forum culture in general kind of an old person's game, relatively speaking? All the kids are snapchatting and instagramming and tiktokking and discording. What high-school/college person wants to register an account for an individual discussion board that you have to read inside a web browser like it's 2003? It would be like a mid-00s teen looking for the latest content via BBS instead of IGN. It still has value, especially for those of us that grew up using it, but it's being inevitably superseded by other formats. Hopefully they'll still have large-print versions of Era and Reddit and MetaFilter in the retirement home.
Hey now, I’m 19 and I love internet forums :(
All my friends do think it’s a bit odd tho lol

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I mean, personally, I've been using forums since I was 10-ish so it is kind of a 'I've grown up with this' style of thing.

I do use Discord tho but like, the few Discord channels I'm in are chats relating to some forums I'm on.