• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How old are you Era?

• 18 and under

Votes: 12 0.7%
  • 19 - 24

Votes: 223 12.3%
  • 25 - 30

Votes: 591 32.7%
  • 31 - 39

Votes: 787 43.6%
  • 40 +

Votes: 193 10.7%

• Total voters

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

I'm surprised that this place might lean towards a 30+ majority. I thought most of the forum (and in general the demographic that would largely hang out on a gaming forum) would be in their 20s

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
25-30
31-39

or
25-29
30-39

Should be what the poll reads. 30 is represented twice currently.

And if I was 30, I'd pick the youngest option of course :)

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Poll updated, we can only have 5 categories but hopefully that'll give us a bit of a better range of answers. Apologies for lumping everyone 40+ together, if it makes you feel any better, i'm getting close to that category myself.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Poll options still seem crappy to me. I want to know how many 18, 19, 20 and 21 year olds are on this forum. Maybe an offsite poll could work better?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't web forum culture in general kind of an old person's game, relatively speaking? All the kids are snapchatting and instagramming and tiktokking and discording. What high-school/college person wants to register an account for an individual discussion board that you have to read inside a web browser like it's 2003? It would be like a mid-00s teen looking for the latest content via BBS instead of IGN. It still has value, especially for those of us that grew up using it, but it's being inevitably superseded by other formats. Hopefully they'll still have large-print versions of Era and Reddit and MetaFilter in the retirement home.
You can't have extended discussion on a Snapchat or Instagram, so forums like this ideally will always have a niche.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe an offsite poll could work better?
Might not be a bad idea, can always keep that idea for next time we do one of these threads.

Last time we did one of these on the old stomping grounds, which was around 7 years ago or so, the average age was 28 I believe.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Grown folk here.

Been posting on gaming forums for about 12yrs now. Era (and GAF before it) are great for the slow times at work.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I am really surprised by those numbers. I never would have imagined that the majority here was in their 30s. Then again, I'm the rare mid-20s millennial who doesn't have a Snapchat or Instagram and enjoys movies from the 60s, 70s, and 80s (according to my Letterboxd ratings)

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
40. We skew a lot older than I thought. I would have guessed early 20s was the median. That does not appear to be the case.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't web forum culture in general kind of an old person's game, relatively speaking? All the kids are snapchatting and instagramming and tiktokking and discording. What high-school/college person wants to register an account for an individual discussion board that you have to read inside a web browser like it's 2003? It would be like a mid-00s teen looking for the latest content via BBS instead of IGN. It still has value, especially for those of us that grew up using it, but it's being inevitably superseded by other formats. Hopefully they'll still have large-print versions of Era and Reddit and MetaFilter in the retirement home.
Hey now, I'm 19 and I love internet forums :(
All my friends do think it's a bit odd tho lol

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I mean, personally, I've been using forums since I was 10-ish so it is kind of a 'I've grown up with this' style of thing.

I do use Discord tho but like, the few Discord channels I'm in are chats relating to some forums I'm on.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Get off my concrete sidewalk.

If anyone here is rich enough to afford a yard in SF, and would be willing to let me hangout on weekends to yell at people, I'd appreciate it very much.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Older than 95% of ya'll to my eternal despair.

The least you can do is respect my authority as your senpai.