• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is your favorite character so far?

• Tanjiro!

Votes: 167 30.0%
  • Nezuko!

Votes: 150 26.9%
  • Zenitsu!

Votes: 78 14.0%
  • Inosuke!

Votes: 113 20.3%
  • Muzan!

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Giyuu Tomioka!

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Shinobu

Votes: 23 4.1%

• Total voters

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say, it's not so much the tone of the voice as the emotion behind it. What makes Tanjiro's voice work is that his Seiyuu throws a ton of emotion into it to cover his wide range of moods. Based off of an admittedly brief snippet of the video, the English VA by contrast doesn't convey that level of emotion in the lines.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I'm usually (overly) critical of dubs, but that sounded completely fine to me.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like the typical kneejerk reaction of "It's not what I'm used to therefore bad". A few seconds is hardly enough to judge the dub. Zach Aguilar (the guy voicing Tanjirou) has done plenty of good work before.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Dub sounds... fine-ish? Not a fan, but then I'm usually not a fan of dubs anyway.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The only dub I can remember liking more than the sub version is Dragon Ball. I still like both, but if I had to pick which one to watch, I'd go with the dub almost every time.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look the sad truth of the matter is that the three main leads they chose for the sub knocked it out of the park. Particularly Tanjiro and Inosuke. The chances they were going to find someone just as good in a short amount of time for the dub were slim. The three main leads have such a range of emotions and the VAs kicked ass doing it.

Notice how Giyu sounds mostly fine because his whole shtick is cold and monotone. There's only rare occasions the dub beats the sub for many.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't sound like a goody two shoes

Great dub > Subbed > Dub

Those are the rules, I didn't make them, it's just how it is
I can agree with this. I generally prefer subbed, but when a dub works it just works.

DBZ, and Yu Yu Hakusho in particular stand out to me as far and away some of the best dub work.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I watched the dub trailer and making a hasty judgement that I don't think I like the protagonists voice. Might just have to stick with the sub until impressions come in.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I watched the dub trailer and making a hasty judgement that I don't think I like the protagonists voice. Might just have to stick with the sub until impressions come in.
it's hasty and I feel we need to give it a chance. I am someone who has seen plenty of anime both dubbed and subbed and while I tend to favor subs, I can't stand the purists who are 'subs only all dubs are trash'.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the english dub trailer. I usually don't mind dubs but Tanjiro sounds bad- like someone who is trying to act but kind of failing.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through season 1 and I'm starting to find Zenitsu a little annoying haha. Tanjiro and Nezuko for life.

just got to the ep when he learns the
fire breathing technique

damn that was dope

Last edited:

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
13a5dth8iqq31.jpg

I miss this show already guys. The movie can't come soon enough.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious about my Zenitsus arc. Surely he can't be as insufferable as he is during s1. I know he's capable of being a badass.

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018
Inosuke sounds pretty bad but then again I'm not surprised after hearing Tanjiro.

Giyu sounds great ofc and Zenitsu's VA sounds solid.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Holy shit, that Inosuke sounds horrible. He's way too high pitched, just awful.

Just wait till we get to hear Zenitsu screaming. Hoo boy, I'm glad I don't put up with dubs.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I just binged the first 20 episodes of this show and goddamn it's amazing. Spider Demon Mountain is as epic as Yorknew or Return to Shiganshina. Didn't expect the show to get so gory but it only adds to the intensity. And the soundtrack is top notch. Can't wait to finish the season but I don't want it to be over!