• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
When Season 2 was first announced of Demon Slayer, it's a continue of the anime and movie, Set during the Taisho era of Japan, the second season takes place at the 遊廓<Yukaku> (red light) district

In simple term, it is the legal brothel place run by the government, most famous being Yoshiwara(1617~1958)

qJeSoKGamKKaqKU.jpg

qJeSoKGamKKaqKY.jpg

qJeSoKGamKKaqKc.jpg

With online reaction being, this isn't suitable for children, we shouldn't teach children this, how do I explain to my child/niece/nephew.
And also some saying it is sexism

So in respone to the incident, a Japanese TV show 胸いっぱいサミット!Muneippai Summit, a late night type show, where a host and various guest are invite to discuss the issue of the week.

On the 3/6 episode, their topic was this including a Keio University ploclaiming that "Parent that can't teach their children are stupid"

The show and guest
Including various celebrity, a professor and a lawyer
qJeSop6clqGYqKY.jpg

qJeSop6clqGYqKc.jpg

qJeSop6clqGYqKg.jpg

The new season will air this year
qJeSop6clqGYqKk.jpg

On Social media, the two most common response is "It is bad for children" and "It is sexist to women"
qJeSop6clqGYqKo.jpg

The show goes into detail
The show is a fighting shounen show, where the main character battle demons, this season, the setting is the most famous red light district Yoshiwara
qJeSop6clqGYqKs.jpg

And the show showing the complaining
qJeSop6clqGYqaSX.jpg

With the guest then responding
First is Comedian 井上裕介 (Yusuke Inoe) a big fan of the demon slayer serie
qJeSop6clqGYqaSY.jpg

It's not a new subject by the anime, it was already in the origional serie, why didn't anyone complain then?
And it's not like Tanjiro(Main character) is going there to play, he's there to fight against Demons.
qJeSop6clqGYqaSY.jpg

Keio University professor 岸博幸 (Hiroyuki Kishi)
Responded " There are many way for parent to explain this to their children, if you can't even do that, then I feel you are really stupid"

qJeSop6clqGYqaSZ.jpg

Laywer 三輪 記子 (Fusako Miwa) turn
"Some people say it is sexist toward women, but that is with a modern view, if you are using their view during then, it isn't, I feel it isn't necessary for the animation to change the truth, and should keep it, and use it as a teaching experience for children to learn the value different of past and today"
qJeSop6clqGYqaSa.jpg

And although online, it seem like over half of the comment are complaing, the show decided to go check it actually
They went through 340k of social media message with the tag of demon slayer and 遊廓
What they find is, 25.5% is positive, 70.9% is neutrel, and only 3.8% is negative

So the news is saying, even if it is a minority, it seem big, because negative view gets more reaction/view, and positive or neutrel is ignore

qJeSop6clqGYqaSb.jpg

The professor for his statement also make real news
qJeSop6clqGYqKU.jpg

www.tokyo-sports.co.jp

鬼滅の刃“遊郭編”炎上に「説明できないと言ってること自体がバカ」岸博幸氏が一刀両断 | 東スポWEB

元経産官僚で慶大大学院教授の岸博幸氏(58)が6日放送の関西テレビ「胸いっぱいサミット!」に出演。「鬼滅の刃」の炎上騒動に疑問をぶつけた。「鬼滅」については新作アニメ「遊郭編」の年内放送が決定...

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm struggling really hard to think of anything in that arc that could be seen as offensive in any way. It's literally just the setting.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Keio University professor 岸博幸 (Hiroyuki Kishi)
Responded " There are many way for parent to explain this to their children, if you can't even do that, then I feel you are really stupid"

That's hilarious. Blunt as hell. Is the article quoting him on something he said separately? It cites him as saying 「だから、説明できないと言ってること自体がバカじゃないか?という気がします」which is a lot more subdued so I'm wondering if OP may be mistranslating otherwise?

Last edited:

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'm kinda surprised parents would let their kids watch the show in the first place considering how violent and graphic it is.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
But didn't most smaller kids recognize the series just due to how popular it is with its merchandising, not from actually watching it? I think it was an Era member who live in Japan said something like this. So this outrage coming from the parents is really 3rd/4th hand knowledge of it.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
But didn't most smaller kids recognize the series just due to how popular it is with its merchandising, not from actually watching it? I think it was an Era member who live in Japan said something like this. So this outrage coming from the parents is really 3rd/4th hand knowledge of it.
This aligns with my experience here in Japan.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Well, another Jump serie, Gintama also has the Yoshiwara district and character from it.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
In general I'd also say that prostitution isn't as taboo in Japan as many western countries. It's looked down on upon, for sure. But there are many prominent celebrities and I also know some people personally who are open about having worked in prostitution in the past and they don't seem to face much stigma because of that. In the west prostitution is usually viewed as some kind of personal moral failing but I'm not seeing that as much here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this kind stuff come up a lot in media? Like, a lot of classic art forms have some association with prostitution, like kabuki originally being a prostitution advertisement founded by women that became male-only because of a gay shogun, and geisha being an alternative to the prostitute/entertainers at the time that focused on the entertainer aspect and avoided the heavily regulation of the prostitution aspect.

Like, I know that from the outside, I've at least seen it brushed by in a lot of media placed in historical settings. You'll see oiran lying around in Muramasa, Oichi is playable in a number of Samurai Warriors games and her flirtatiousness hints to her association with prostitution, Yakuza Kenzan had Haruka being recruited as a trainee at a brothel. I know that none of those games are marketed to children specifically, but how much exposure would the average kid have to media that features it?

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
SilentPanda just wanting to know how come you always post OPs in massive fonts? I was looking through some of your posting history to make sense of it, but it's full of large text, a multitude of screen caps and Twitter links with little follow-up from yourself - are you going for a kindof news aggregator angle? Just trying to figure it out.

Regarding the story itself, it seems that "parents" are bloody daft - although I'd be curious to see how many of the complaints are genuine and not people who dislike Demon Slayer lashing out.

Why would you allow children to watch Demon Slayer?
It's a manga for children. It was in JUMP.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Dood point, thinking about it Shonen Jump does have some dark stories despite it being aimed for children/teenagers. Like personally I would not show a child - The Promised Neverland

Last edited:

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
Dood point, thinking about it Shonen Jump does have some dark stories despite it being aimed for children/teenagers. Like personally I would not show a child - The Promised Neverland
Yeah, I remember reading some Shonen Jump back when I was around 15 or 16 and even then there was some pretty violent stuff in there.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Man, it seems like everybody and their dog is raving about this show lately, is it legit good or just overhyped junk?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Demon Slayer's target audience is teenage boys.

Chainsaw man also targets teenage boys.
Honestly i would probalby still not allow my child if i had one who was a teenager to read Chainsaw Man considering the amount of graphic violence and themes in it but that's more a personal opinion. Chainsaw Man to me feels like a 18+ series

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly i would probalby still not allow my child if i had one who was a teenager to read Chainsaw Man considering the amount of graphic violence and themes in it but that's more a personal opinion. Chainsaw Man to me feels like a 18+ series

That's fine. Just know that the series was written for 14 year olds and many have read it and are doing just fine. It can feel iffy for you, but most parents would just buy their kids the children's comic magazine and boom, chainsaw man is right there.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Chainsaw Man straight up had a double spread colored page of a very graphic group sex scene in it.

I don't know if that particular scene was added in the volumes and was absent in Jump, but still.

Compared to that, "I guess prostitution exists" is so hilariously mild lol.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
SPOILERs for My Hero Academia
Even more mainstream kids/teenage Manga in SJ have some dark shit like

A couple of chapters ago - My Hero Academia had a scene of a child being burned alive

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
Chainsaw Man straight up had a double spread colored page of a very graphic group sex scene in it.

I don't know if that particular scene was added in the volumes and was absent in Jump, but still.

Compared to that, "I guess prostitution exists" is so hilariously mild lol.
Oh yeah, I have no idea if they change or remove stuff like that for JUMP or not. I'm just giggling at the thought of this show following up something like Hey Arnold.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
People saying boys when its biggest audience are girls and women. Though it's kind of a hit with almost every demo.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, it seems like everybody and their dog is raving about this show lately, is it legit good or just overhyped junk?

A bit of both. It looks beautiful and it's a fun ride though. Oh, and the OP slaps!

I've lost count of the number of facemasks I've seen in Osaka with the same pattern as Tanjiro's haori. It's a legit phenomenon.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Demon Slayer Film Rebounds to #1 in Yen Earned at Weekend Box Office

Film rank #3 in 6th weekend in S. Korea // The Demon Slayer - Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Movie: Mugen Train anime sold about 97,000 tickets for 162,614,700 yen...

The film has surpassed Hayao Miyazaki's 2002 Spirited Away, its last rival for all-time highest earnings in Japanese box office history. (Spirited Away earned 30.8 billion yen in its original run, but has since earned a total of 31.68 billion yen after last summer's revival screenings.) The film has also surpassed Spirited Away as the #1 highest-earning Japanese film of all time worldwide.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Just pointing out what the target demo of Shonen jump is. If girls and women love it that's great though.
Even that is not quite true either nowadays. While most works are still made with a male audience in mind in the sense that it should be "shounen". Traditional shounen appeals the most to women nowadays. The majority of the readers of shonen jump are likely girls and women.

Only the manga with overt fanservice or a romance angle are solely aimed at guys. But these manga all sell worse compared to manga that are aimed at a female audience like Haikyuu, Kimetsu or Jujutsu.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even that is not quite true either nowadays. While most works are still made with a male audience in mind in the sense that it should be "shounen". Traditional shounen appeals the most to women nowadays. The majority of the readers of shonen jump are likely girls and women.

Only the manga with overt fanservice or a romance angle are solely aimed at guys. But these manga all sell worse compared to manga that are aimed at a female audience like Haikyuu, Kimetsu or Jujutsu.

No doubt Shonen jump has expanded it's demographic, but doing some reading around it's readership seems like it's still 67% male? I wouldn't say the majority of their readers are women, but the magazine is definitely pivoting more to general audiences.

Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-demographics-for-its-manga-magazines/.145991

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
No doubt Shonen jump has expanded it's demographic, but doing some reading around it's readership seems like it's still 67% male? I wouldn't say the majority of their readers are women, but the magazine is definitely pivoting more to general audiences.

Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-demographics-for-its-manga-magazines/.145991
As far as I know there are no recent official numbers on the gender split but looking at what's popular in Jump right now and looking at what the trend has been in the last decade tells me women should make up the majority of readers.
I mean even your source notes that Shueisha didn't release any numbers on the gender split in Jump probably because they didn't want their "for boys" image to get ruined.
This is what started the discussion back in 2012.
tumblr_mdfx3iZsx81qamhyd.jpg

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great ad for the show. I feel like I should check out this Demon Slayer anime.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know there are no recent official numbers on the gender split but looking at what's popular in Jump right now and looking at what the trend has been in the last decade tells me women should make up the majority of readers.
I mean even your source notes that Shueisha didn't release any numbers on the gender split in Jump probably because they didn't want their "for boys" image to get ruined.
This is what started the discussion back in 2012.
tumblr_mdfx3iZsx81qamhyd.jpg

Jeez it's early. I misread the article and attributed Jump S.Q's numbers fir weekly Shonen jump. That said....I have no idea what that chart is trying to tell me. Are these just the 6 manga with the highest gender split ranked? Legitimately curious on this one.

Deleted member 92267

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2021
Street.png

It has been quite many years since I last took my history courses on this,
But isn`t this the equivalent of medieval Kamurochō-style Entertainment districts?

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
There are so many "brothels" in Japan tho. It's a consistent part of it's history.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SPOILERs for My Hero Academia
Even more mainstream kids/teenage Manga in SJ have some dark shit like

A couple of chapters ago - My Hero Academia had a scene of a child being burned alive
this scene and
whare shigaraki graphically turns his sister into blood and pieces of meat
will probably be censored in the anime version so I doubt it matters

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Jeez it's early. I misread the article and attributed Jump S.Q's numbers fir weekly Shonen jump. That said....I have no idea what that chart is trying to tell me. Are these just the 6 manga with the highest gender split ranked? Legitimately curious on this one.
The chart shows the % of female or male readers per series. So the first chart shows those that have more female readers and the second those with more male readers.
The first chart has heavy hitters like(from top to bottom): Haiykuu, Gintama, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Kuroko no Basket, One Piece, Bleach

The second chart reads as: Nisekoi, Kochikame, Medaka Box, Toriko, Beelzebub, Naruto

Apart from Naruto which is also close to gender parity, most series in the second chart aren't really that big. So from that and the fact that the trend is likely continuing, tells me that women should easily make up the majority of the readership in Jump.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's good... I don't know if I'd consider it to be like in the upper echelon of anime. I think the only reason it is being discussed so heavily is because a LOT of people went and saw the film.