• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
deadline.com

Japan’s ‘Demon Slayer’ Kills It With Record $44M Opening; China Passing North America For 2020 – International Box Office

MONDAY UPDATE, writethru after Sunday 11:12AM post: Big news this weekend out of Japan where anime adaptation Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train shattered all-time opening records. The film, which debuted on Friday October 16, as opposed to the usual Saturday/Sunday session, grossed $44M...

1*HbtKzFLynhjXDfRzbLa8vw.jpeg

Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train shattered all-time opening records. The film, which debuted on Friday October 16, as opposed to the usual Saturday/Sunday session, grossed $44M (4.623B yen) across the three-day. It is the global box office leader this weekend and Japan's biggest launch in industry history.

Putting the opening into some perspective, Frozen 2 last year launched to a 3-day of $18.2M at historical rates. Demon Slayer also set a new IMAX record, opening 18% bigger in the format than previous champ Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker, to become the top IMAX Japan opener ever with $2.27M (238M yen) from 38 screens. Grosses increased incrementally over the weekend for IMAX.

Nothing stops this train *ba-dum!*

EDIT:

Now it's the 2nd highest grossing movie ever in Japan

After this weekend it has overtaken Titanic to become the second highest grossing movie ever in Japan.

1. Spirited Away(¥30.8 billion)
2. Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train(¥27.5 billion)
3. Titanic(¥26.2 billion)
4. Frozen(¥25.5 billion)
5. Your Name(¥25 billion)

Can it finally topple Spirited Away after 19 years and take the all time #1? Looks like it'll be close going by the pace:

3 days:Revenue 4.6 billion、Tickets sold 3,420,493
10 days:Revenue 10.7 billion、Tickets sold 7,983,442
17 days:Revenue 15.7 billion、Tickets sold 11,891,254
24 days:Revenue 20.4 billion、Tickets sold 15,373,943
31 days:Revenue 23.3 billion、Tickets sold 17,505,285
39 days:Revenue 25.9 billion、Tickets sold 19,397,589
45 days:Revenue 27.5 billion、Tickets sold 20,532,177

Japan has a population of about 126 million, so a ticket for this movie has been sold for roughly 1 in 6 people in the country.

news.yahoo.co.jp

『劇場版「鬼滅の刃」無限列車編』ついに「タイタニック」超えで歴代2位に 興行収入275億円、観客動員数は2053万人突破 年末に300億の大台突破か(ABEMA TIMES) - Yahoo!ニュース

記録的な大ヒットを続ける『劇場版「鬼滅の刃」無限列車編』が、10月16日からの全国ロードショーから45日間の興行収入を発表、約275億円に達した。また観客動員数は2053万人を突破。興行収入では、

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I mean, I've heard of this anime, but I never realised it was huge. Is it just absolutely massive or was something else in play for it to get this big a gross?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So is this series good? I've only recently heard of it, and the few GIFs I've seen looked pretty cool.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I mean, I've heard of this anime, but I never realised it was huge. Is it just absolutely massive or was something else in play for it to get this big a gross?
For most, it was 1 spectacular episode that changed people's perspective on the series. After that, interest in the manga grew and sales has skyrocketed breaking many records. It helps that the movie is not filler and is the next arc of the series.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Shueisha gotta be tryna come up with a way to continue this series

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So is this series good? I've only recently heard of it, and the few GIFs I've seen looked pretty cool.
It's decent, but it definitely has great animation and that's probably what sells it. Its story isn't all that interesting and most of the characters are whatever, the butterfly ladies are boring as fuck... the incredibly boring "barely reacts or shows emotions with a dead look in the eyes but overpowered" archetype, like Mikasa from AoT.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
The theme some for the anime is probably played like 30 times on any given day on Japanese tv.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
This thing is huge. First anime since Your Name, and probably first series since Evangelion, I hear everyone from school kids to university students to salarymen talking about. Absolutely everywhere is doing some collaboration and trying to get in on it - Gindaco are doing themed takoyaki, Sega's arcade crane games are almost exclusively Demon Slayer prizes, every convenience store has a section. I went to Hakone the other week to get away from everything in the city and next to the other souvenirs they had a whole section of Demon Slayer themed hot spring stuff. No idea why it's so popular but they've struck lightning.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It out sold One Piece manga* which is the first time any series did it in a decade.

(*the year the anime came out)
From November, through May, it sold over 45 million copies, compared to One Piece selling 4.8 mill, without the anime airing.

www.resetera.com

Oricon (Japan) Manga Sales 2020 (First Half) [2019 Nov. 18 - 2020 May 17] - Demon Slayer slays its competition

Oricon (2019 Nov. 18 – 2020 May 17): Top 10 best-selling manga series of the semester: RANK./LAST YEAR'S RANK. TITLE [WRITER] ( MAGAZINE / PUBLISHER ) {NUMBER OF NEW VOLUMES PUBLISHED} - YEAR-TO-DATE SALES 01./12. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba [Koyoharu Gotōge] (Weekly Shōnen Jump /...

Edit:

A better YTD figure is over 53 million.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Man what little personality the MC has, is spent scouring in emotional and physically pain until he pulls out his nothing-personal-sword skills and screams like he is the off spring of Goku's Genkidama.

I don't think you know what edgelord really even is lmao. He's kind of a milquetoast (but good natured) protag who travels with a guy in a boar head and an annoying lightning kid.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Great anime, Great Manga, well deserved. It's a shonen so it's not going to be totally unique but it's a shonen done right. Haters hate to see it.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man what little personality the MC has, is spent scouring in emotional and physically pain until he pulls out his nothing-personal-sword skills and screams like he is the off spring of Goku's Genkidama.
bro what are you watching that one of the most wholesome cinnamon buns and older brother figure nice protagonists in recent Shonen Jump is 'edgelord' to you. And like subjective taste and all but you certainly have a take with the events of the story if your take away of everything that happened was the above. I figured out of all the Zenitsu haters there must be one dude out there who disliked Tanjiro but jesus christ.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This thing is huge. First anime since Your Name, and probably first series since Evangelion, I hear everyone from school kids to university students to salarymen talking about. Absolutely everywhere is doing some collaboration and trying to get in on it - Gindaco are doing themed takoyaki, Sega's arcade crane games are almost exclusively Demon Slayer prizes, every convenience store has a section. I went to Hakone the other week to get away from everything in the city and next to the other souvenirs they had a whole section of Demon Slayer themed hot spring stuff. No idea why it's so popular but they've struck lightning.

Hold up.

Themed tacoyaki?!

OP
OP
Chaos2Frozen

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Idk why people are so salty lol. Like I understand the story is not going to knock my socks off but I'm not really going into shonen anime for citizen cane. I just want good art and compelling characters and this brings both those in abundance!!!

I've been in Anime long enough to know when any series gets insanely popular, people will be salty that it's not THEIR favorite series :D

You know, the one with actually amazingly great character and story. Not this one though, this one is overrated.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The anime is fine, but the success of this thing really surprises me. I don't know that there's anything particularly that makes it stand out? It's weird.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
sooooo...

Is the movie reviewing well? The way it's been set up seems like it's meant to show the power differential between Tanjiro and the Hashira, which could be really exciting if done well.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I still struggle with watching season 1.
It still feels like your typical shonen anime, but with really good animation from UFOtable.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The animation and music (praise go shiina) are great and it's worth watching just for that....

But the rest? It's super basic shonen stuff you've seen a million time! Sure the hero is certainly more likeable than the norm, but the overal cast is meh

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
its probably just the train arc from the manga.

I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how that arc is regarded.

I still struggle with watching season 1.
It still feels like your typical shonen anime, but with really good animation from UFOtable.

I felt like the quality dramatically improved halfway through - it definitely started with very cliche enemies, the female demon with bouncy balls almost made me check out early.