• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Release order is fine. They are all god-tier, so the order shouldn't matter too much.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I started with Dark Souls 1 and absolutely loved it. In hindsight, it falls off a cliff about halfway through, so I'd probably recommend Bloodborne as the best starting point these days. It's a little bit more immediate than the Souls series, more action and less RPG, and its weird Lovecraftian horror tone just hits all the right notes for me.

Demon's Souls is pretty rough at this point, partly because of its age and partly because the servers are no longer up. It's still worth playing if you've enjoyed others in the series, but I would not recommend it as a first Soulslike.

Sekiro is a mixed bag for me, but not for reasons of quality. It does the thing it does extremely well; it's just a little bit too much of a fast-paced dexterity test for my tastes. It swings even harder in the direction of more action and less RPG than Bloodborne did, to the point that I rarely felt like I could overcome bosses by grinding up because there simply isn't much you can do at any given time to improve your character. It's all about your skill as a player, for better or for worse.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I played about 6hs of Demon's Souls thx to a friend and I liked it but my proper introduction was Bloodborne and oh boy, start there if you want.

I played to completion Bloodborne, then Dark Souls III, and then Sekiro. They're all excellent games.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say DS1 or Bloodborne first. Sekiro was much harder than either of those for me. It's much faster paced combat, and you don't have the flexibility of grinding levels to make things easier if you get stuck. But maybe that's what you're looking for.

Jun 26, 2018
Demon's Souls -> Dark Souls 1 -> Dark Souls 2 -> Bloodborne -> Dark Souls 3 -> Sekiro (Release Order)

Beginner tips: Don't be afraid to look up guides or the wikis if you end up completely lost or getting wiped out and end up frustrated. Playing super defensively is a viable strategy, but not necessarily the best way to enjoy the games, especially later titles like bloodborne where defense is almost non-existant. Consider going fast and hard against enemies once you're comfortable with their movesets.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Don't play all of them IMO. I'm burnt out on Souls. I played 2, then Dark then Bloodborne, then Demon's and then Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro has felt like a real bummer to me. It does what it can to switch things up but the diminshing returns are real.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
I might go Sekiro > BB > DS's

Those first two are a lot faster to me than the Souls series. Was hard to unlearn some things when moving to those after years of the Souls games. Might be easier coming at it that way.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Demon's Souls: it's the first one, so is cool to see where it all began but has a really bad UI and doesn't know the meaning of "quality of life"
Dark Souls: The one who made it all popular. Got a lot of the kinks of Demon's ironed out but it's really obtuse and has a rushed end
Dark Souls II: The easiest of the bunch but the longest also. Has a lot of quality of life improvements and tries new stuff from the rest of the series
Bloodborne: Maybe an interesting start point for having no connection to the Souls mythos and probably the best UI and interface
Dark Souls 3: It's an Dark Souls 1 fanservice jerkoff fest with no new ideas whatsoever and plays a lot like Bloodborne. Worst point to start
Sekiro: It has the best tutorial and the most straight foward story but it's a lot more of an really unreseanable hard action game that it's arguiable not a Soulsborne game

I personally don't like Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro as games, but that's me. Also don't skip Dark Souls 2

Henchman

Mar 10, 2019
Honestly depends on what you seek but i would recommand to start with either Demon's souls, Dark souls 1, Bloodborne or Sekiro :

-Demon's souls is the start of it all and got some brilliant ideas (the tower of latria experience), not too difficult especially with magic builds but maybe a bit clunky and the world tendency is confusing at first.

-Dark souls is the "first" souls game and it carries a big legacy. It's still clunky but it offers a good idea of why the serie became so popular : good difficulty, diverse areas and thrilling bosses. The dlc is really good too !

-Bloodborne is a true masterpiece : fluid combat, diverse weapons, some of the best bosses, areas and musics FromSoft ever did (the dlc is a masterpiece and it's on sales until christmas). Returning to older games like dark souls 1 or demon's souls might be harder after the "freedom" of movement offered by Bloodborne.

-Sekiro is a truly amazing game and a different take on the FromSoft formula. A total freedom of movement (you can JUMP !), a new combat system focusing on parrying instead of dodging, shinobi tools and stealth. The difficulty maybe too much at the start but once you understand the combat system everything will click together.

Dark souls 2 is a nice game but got major flaws (overall mediocre bosses, poor enemy placement and disastrous hitboxes, the dlcs are great tho) and Dark Souls 3 is, at least personnaly, an "enchanced" version of Dark souls 1 and as such a really good game but even better after experiencing the original.

Have fun and good luck on your journey !

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne or DS1. Wait a bit on Demon Soul's as many are rumoring a remake/remaster.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
Dark Souls 1 was the first one I played and it'll always have a special place in my heart. I remember really getting immersed in the world, figuring out the game systems etc. Bloodborne was a nice change of pace and is probably my favorite overall. IMO coming back to Dark Souls after Bloodborne and Sekiro is not ideal because of the slower movements and QoL improvements they made through the years.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Why don't you just pick one according to what you like OP.

Do you like medieval, fantasy settings? Go with Demon/Dark Souls
Do you like horror, Lovecraftian stories? Go with Bloodborne
Are you into ninja, Japanese culture? Go with Sekiro

Oct 26, 2017
Don't put Sekiro in with the rest, it's nothing like FROM's other games.

I'd go with the order in the thread title for the other three though.

OP
OP
Grue

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Thanks Era! Some great help.

So in my very scientific, "I've read the whole thread and here's my summary" kind of way - I'm getting a mixed bag of 'release / thread title order' and 'Bloodborne, then go back if you want'.

I have to admit I missed some crucial info:

I'd say start with Demon's Souls, but you need a PS3 (not sure if you have one from the OP).

I don't (and I'll be frank, I'm not going to buy one just to play this game).

I kind of assumed a remaster was already available if I'm honest, sorry for my ignorance.

Hold out on Demon's Souls as the servers are down and a remaster is rumored to be in the works. It's also a fun treat to play it last and see the decidedly less polished but still very unique and endearing game that started it all.

Bloodborne or DS1. Wait a bit on Demon Soul's as many are rumoring a remake/remaster.

What's the confirmation on this?

And either way, is it worth waiting, or should I just start with Dark Souls, and go back if the mood takes me?

[Edit: Meant 'start with Dark Souls' not 'start with 'Demon Souls']

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
If you want to play them all (and have time to do so) then play them in order of release.

Demon's Souls -> Dark Souls 1 -> Dark Souls 2 -> Bloodborne -> Dark Souls 3 -> Sekiro

You will see the evolution of the style.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019

And either way, is it worth waiting, or should I just start with Demon Souls, and go back if the mood takes me?

Not confirmed at all, but quite a few people have sources that cite this as being basically set on stone (myself included).
If you do not have a PS3 then wait on Demon's Souls.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Start with Dark, go back to Demon's if you like it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Order of release. Although, I suppose it doesn't really matter with DS3 and Bloodborne.

DeS (is possible) > Dark Souls > Dark Souls 2 > Bloodborne then Dark Souls 3 or vice versa > Sekiro

OP
OP
Grue

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
And yeah, I don't know why Sekiro is mentioned , it's nothing like. Soulsborne.

That would be the complete lack of experience I have in this area! Clarified by the thread, thanks folks.

(That dude doing a Superman out of the clouds and knocking you the fuck out looks dope tho).

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
play Dark Souls first
after that DS2:SotfS
Bloodborne after DS2 or instead of DS2
Sekiro last because it is more unforgiving in learning bosses

DS3 if you want more Souls after those

i would definitely start with Dark Souls 1 first

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Era! Some great help.

And either way, is it worth waiting, or should I just start with Dark Souls, and go back if the mood takes me?

[Edit: Meant 'start with Dark Souls' not 'start with 'Demon Souls']
I wouldn't wait. A remaster is still only a rumour right now, and if it is remastered it'll probably be updated in lots of ways to bring it up modern souls standards. Go ahead and start with Dark Souls.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be the complete lack of experience I have in this area! Clarified by the thread, thanks folks.

(That dude doing a Superman out of the clouds and knocking you the fuck out looks dope tho).

It shares a lot of design sensibilities, people just like to be pedantic about this series / genre.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
All of them are masterpieces in my opinion. The pinnacle of great RPG game design.

All except Dark Souls 2 but it's worth a playthrough just for more Dark Souls I guess.

I recommend starting with Demon's Souls just so you can experience the darkest most sadistic looking game in series (yes, bloodborne is close second). Tower Latria is golden.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Play all of them, in release order, and enjoy watching the team evolve and comment on their own products.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
In these threads people always say to start with Bloodborne, but I'd personally recommend Dark Souls 1.

The first level of Bloodborne is the meanest and most difficult of any of the games, which are already tough enough to learn without it. It's best saved for at least game #2 once you're more familiar with the formula.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
  • Bloodborne is the best out of that entire list, it's literally a top 10 Playstation 4 game, hands down. Hell, might even be top 5 for me. However, it is hard and it takes a bit to adapt because there are still souls mechanics you might not be used to so play through Dark Souls: Remaster first. But like I said, it is easily the best game out of this entire list no debate and if you want to play the best one, play Bloodborne.
  • Dark Souls is absolutely great and should be played before Bloodborne because it'll get you used to the Souls mechanics along with Souls combat overall. Plus, the game will get you used to boss fights and basically train you to adapt quicker in Bloodborne plus, Bloodborne is a lot quicker in pace combat wise so going from fast combat to slower combat might be a rough transition.
  • Demon Souls can wait because of all the rumors regarding a potential remaster/remake for PS5.
  • Play Sekiro after Dark Souls, it's apparently the hardest so it might take the most time so save it for last.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Start with Demon's Souls or Dark Souls

Then play Bloodborne (their best game)

Then play Sekiro. Feel free to give up part way through if you want to (it's really hard), and then play Dark Souls II and III

That's not an order of quality, just what I feel would be a good way to explore FROM's work.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I would just stick with Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro. Play one of the first two first, doesn't matter which one. Then play Sekiro if you still feel like it. It's quite a bit different, but the same DNA is there.

If you're really wanting more after that, dive into the Dark Souls sequels or Demon's Souls.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Start with Bloodborne or Dark souls1, depending which setting you like most.
Bloodborne is definetly the better game though. It's one of the best games ever.

Jan 10, 2018
Dark Souls 1 I would say. It's the most complete Souls game based on the original formula. If you've played that one you know what you're getting with the rest, as they are all just a variation of that game with different settings, builds, world structure, combat quirks etc.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Id recommend to start with Bloodborne, its probably the easiest game to get into and if you end up loving it you should follow up with DS3, which is the one closest to BB (so it will feel like a natural continuation).

After that you can pick Sekiro if youd like something a bit different to mix it up with, or go straight to DS1 and then DS2.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
You've pretty much nailed the order in your title.

Lol, true enough.
----
@OP:
I started with Bloodborne and stuck with it and then went back to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 and 2. Then I was ready for Dark Souls 3 when it came out.

If you only have time for one, I'd go with Bloodborne. If you don't like any of the above, you can still give Sekiro a try because it's quite different.