• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne. It is the one that is most similar to traditional action games and the most accessible. It is the one that unlocked the souls series for me. Not the first souls game I owned but the first game where the formula clicked for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Going by accessibility and overall hardness, I'd recommend this order:

• Bloodborne
  • Dark Souls III
  • Dark Souls
  • Demons Souls
  • Dark Souls II
  • Sekiro
It's out of sequence in the Dark Souls games but still, I think that's the best way to experience them if you want to go from easiest to toughest.

Nov 4, 2017
Bloodborne is easily the best, but Dark Souls is super important and should be played. I would play Dark Souls before BB, as Dark Souls can feel a little rough around the edges at times and the quality in level design tanks in the second half (but comes good in the end). I bounced off DS2, am about a third of the way through Sekiro I think and DS3 is in my backlog.

With that in mind... I'd just say play in release order.

Prat

Jan 9, 2018
1. Dark Souls Remaster
2. Bloodborne
3. Sekiro

If you wanna keep going:
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Dark Souls 2 Scholar
6. Wait for Demon Souls Remaster

(My favorite is Bloodborne though...)

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Advice: Use wikis and guides as a last resort. One of the most critical and enjoyable things about the games is punishment and reward. If you got stuck on a boss, don't be afraid to take a break and clear your mind. If you read a guide then you won't feel the joy of overcoming the challenge, trust me on this one.

I disagree with this advice. Although Wikis and Guides could take away from the discovery that is the game itself, I recommend checking them out to better understand some of the very obscure elements of the game. So, my suggestion is that you should try and use a spoiler-free guide. Try to not spoil the game, but complement the game. Don't take as gospel all the suggestions in a wiki or guide, there's more than one way to skin a cat! Likewise, don't take as gospel all the suggestions on these threads, at the end of the day, it's best to just grab your boots by the strap and start somewhere. Anywhere you start is great. Take solace in that the games are vaguely or not connected at all, so just play and enjoy the ride, and don't forget to ask around if you get stuck!

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
4 pages in so very late but I will put in a vote for Bloodborne. Bloodborne forces the player to play aggressively in a smart way - you can't hide behind a shield. You have to attack, dodge, and trigger visceral attacks all with your weapons.

This play style makes the rest of the games more fun (e.g. learn to parry in DS instead of hiding behind your shield the whole time).

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Play Bloodborne first. Then Sekiro. If you really love this type of shit tackle the Dark Souls trilogy in order

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I played the series out of order and it was still great. Something like DS1 > BB > DeS > DS3 > Sekiro

Just play whichever one catches your interest.

OP
OP
Grue

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Thank you all again for your input. If nothing else it's pretty clear I've totally ignored an important set of games.

What do we think about this?

Because honestly reading all of your thoughts, I was thinking of starting with Dark Souls 1 (not owning a PS3 and being able to play Demon Souls) - but this might cause me to wait and see. I'd rather go back to the beginning and see the evolution, I think, if there's a nice modern-friendly remaster a year or so away.

Worth waiting for confirmation, or should I get on with my life?

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Thank you all again for your input. If nothing else it's pretty clear I've totally ignored an important set of games.

Because honestly reading all of your thoughts, I was thinking of starting with Dark Souls 1 (not owning a PS3 and being able to play Demon Souls) - but this might cause me to wait and see. I'd rather go back to the beginning and see the evolution, I think, if there's a nice modern-friendly remaster a year or so away.

If the Demon's Souls Remaster is true, it's almost an year away. By then you could finished the whole series. I think you should move on. Start with Dark Souls Remaster and go have the gaming time of your life. Also don't skip Dark Souls 2

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
I started with Demon's Souls a few years ago and then got stuck like 6 hours in. A month later, I began Dark Souls and got 20 hours in before my PS3 died and I couldn't get the save data back.

A few years later, I started and then completed Bloodborne. I really loved Bloodborne and it got me hooked on the series.

This year, I decided to go back and start Demon's Souls from the beginning and actually complete it. It took me a month but I did it. A month ago, I finished Dark Souls Remastered and now I'm 40 hours into Dark Souls 2: SOTFS. The Souls series is now one of my all-time favorite series.

My suggestion would be to start with Dark Souls and, if you really like it, play through Dark Souls 2, then Bloodborne, and then Dark Souls 3.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

You absolutely can't go wrong with Dark Souls 1 first! You can save Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2: Scholar of The First Sin for later, they are good games!

If I were you and knew what I know now while still being able to play them blind (makes no sense, I know) I'd say:

DS1
Bloodborne
Sekiro
DS3

...And you've got the best of the best. The only Souls game that's a quasi-sequel in the series is DS3 to DS1, btw.

OP
OP
Grue

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Sorry for the necro, but it's a genuine question.

How does the confirmation of the Demon's Souls remake affect this? I still haven't caught up on any of this series, instead making my way though the rest of the PS4 back catalogue.

Do I now go for the DS remake first? Or am I still best tackling the others first?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the necro, but it's a genuine question.

How does the confirmation of the Demon's Souls remake affect this? I still haven't caught up on any of this series, instead making my way though the rest of the PS4 back catalogue.

Do I now go for the DS remake first? Or am I still best tackling the others first?
A lot of DeS bosses are more like puzzles than a test of dexterity or skill imo, i'd say it's the slowest and souls games get faster in release order pretty much. The remake will be the best looking one of these if that's a thing that could bother you. I wouldn't put much stock into a set order so long as you can manage and if a game is too much you could try another. DS1 to DS3 is the only time where i could see some continuity in the story with DS2 being sorta its own world. BB gets fast with fewer but more complex weapons and Sekiro is the fastest being action oriented than rpg.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd still play the others first, we don't know what if any QoL changes it has and it definitley ups the graphics, so playing it first could make it hard to go back to the others.

Play DS

Bloodborne

Then the Demon's remake.

May 27, 2018
Demon's Souls ia bit dated. I would totally wait to play the remake if I were you. Even if there aren't any QOL improvements, you'll still be playing a prettier version.

As for the order. I would start with Bloodborne, it's amazing and a bit simpler than the Dark Souls games. Then Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3. They are all worth playing, even with Dark Souls 2 being below the average quality of the series.

I think Sekiro is a different kind of game, even if it uses the same overall structure. Play this last.