• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

The latest version of the RCPS3 emulator and a special patch unlock 4K60 gameplay, with even support for 120fps rendering. Two drawbacks - FMVs cannot be viewed for now, and in 120fps mode players are slowed down dramatically if they legs are caught by nearby geometry. Those issues will most likely be fixed.

/sorry if old

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Did they finally fix the god rays? That's the only thing that's prevented me from going down to GameStop to grab a used copy and getting a BluRay drive just for this.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Funny thing about that "player movement breaks when running into geometry at 120fps" is that it's still that way in Sekiro.

I wonder if it has any of the minor issues in 60 like Dark Souls had with dsfix.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The community doing what everyone has asked Sony. Smh

Good job by those fellas. Once they iron out the smaller bugs, that's gonna be cool. I mean it's already awesome, dont get me wrong.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to joke about the 'sorry if old' thing, but apparently you were 3 minutes too late. LOL Anyway, that's awesome though! Downsampled on my 1080p office monitor, the 4K content looks sublime.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Does it help stabilise stuttering for lower end rigs?

I can run everything 30fps smoothly until I hit Boletaria, the background seems to hit fps hard. Once I'm in interior parts of the level it's fine. Tried every solution I could find through google and forums.

Might give it a try later.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Funny that Sekiro had the same problem when running at unlocked framerates, if you ran into geometry, your character would walk slowly until you let the stick rest back to neutral.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Holy shit!

Edit:

I uploaded some gameplay of it running on my Ryzen 5 3600:

|

(I just wanted to disclose that I have a channel where I'm currently testing the performance of the Ryzen 5 3600, apologies if the subscription requests are bothersome.)

Last edited:

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I can say is that if anyone actually waited to jump on this game once it hit whatever arbitrary number in terms of performance, they've been missing out.

Definitely cool that they managed to get it running like this though, hope the next PS does something similar in terms backwards compatibility.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is a certain level of Grimyness and a weird waxy filter on Deoms that always looks weird at higher res.

But still, this looks fantastic, I await the full version of it

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
game looks a lot worse than I remember. The leechmonger in the vid is some ps2 looking shit.

Still, I'll look for my copy...

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god Stonefang burns my retinas.

Flamelurker's greatest weapon is his ability to blind the player.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Funny thing is it enhance the ugliness as well . I remembered the game looks better , but yeah 60FPS is great I guess

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Holy shit!!!! I tried the 2x speed 60fps patch recently and was bummed that we'd prob not get this but here we are.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls was always a pretty rough game visually honestly. That's why I'm personally hoping for a SotC-style Bluepoint remake over a straight-up remaster. I feel like Sony could sell Demon's better nowadays to the modern Souls audience if they gave it a fresh coat of paint and some QoL improvements.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I didn't look at this, in my memory this was The best Souls game, but it looked old an janky here :/

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! If my PC can handle even 1080p 30 I'd already be happy. I was thinking of dong another run this year, too.

Fantastic game.

All I can say is that if anyone actually waited to jump on this game once it hit whatever arbitrary number in terms of performance, they've been missing out.

Definitely cool that they managed to get it running like this though, hope the next PS does something similar in terms backwards compatibility.
I think people were just missing out because of it being exclusively on PS3. I've seen a lot of fans of the series who are used to console framerates but still didn't play Demon's.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a locked 60fps going by that video. It's a great achievement but I think I'll wait for further improvements.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Guys Demon's Souls at 4K 120hz is some real shit. It holds it way better than expected. It does get glitchy however and the sound starts to make popping noises. But it's not far off from being usable.
9pmipcl5.jpg

60fps is near flawless in-game and almost just feels like a PC version.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I wish I didn't look at this, in my memory this was The best Souls game, but it looked old an janky here :/
It doesn't matter that it really is the second worst mechanically (and there's not many good boss fights either), simply being the first Souls for many is enough to solidify it as their favorite. Remember favorite does not mean best :)

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Demon's Souls is one of the greatest games of all time. What fun it was to discover that world for the first time.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
9900K.
I have to take back the "near flawless" at 60 after a longer play session. FPS seem to take a hit especially on loading new areas, when a lot of physics are being calculated or there is lots of alpha on screen (oddly even when the GPU has some headroom) Frametimes are wonky even FPS output seems consistent.
Let me rephrase it this way: 120 fps is still very rough whereas 60 fps is totally doable right now. The controls feel so much more reponsive. It's exactly how it felt going from Dark Souls 1 30 fps to 60 fps.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
First playthru was on RPCS3 at 5k. Can't wait to get home and try this out. Bloodbornes performance and IQ have me going thru it incredibly slow.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter that it really is the second worst mechanically (and there's not many good boss fights either), simply being the first Souls for many is enough to solidify it as their favorite. Remember favorite does not mean best :)
I have sooo many good memories of this though, it was like a dark mature version Zelda 2 (this is so very underrated), there was nothing like it at the time, easily one of my favorite games on PS3.
I haven't played Dark Souls 3. Without rosetinted glasses, how does it compare to Demon's Souls? I see that it has a meta score at 89.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
9900K.
I have to take back the "near flawless" at 60 after a longer play session. FPS seem to take a hit especially on loading new areas, when a lot of physics are being calculated or there is lots of alpha on screen (oddly even when the GPU has some headroom) Frametimes are wonky even FPS output seems consistent.
Let me rephrase it this way: 120 fps is still very rough whereas 60 fps is totally doable right now. The controls feel so much more reponsive. It's exactly how it felt going from Dark Souls 1 30 fps to 60 fps.
Nice,thanks.
Any slowdowns when breaking/rolling over boxes,furniture etc? It happens with the ps3.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Would my Ryzen 5 2600 (stock clocks) / GTX 1070 gaming PC be able to run this at 60fps?

Oct 25, 2017
I have sooo many good memories of this though, it was like a dark mature version Zelda 2 (this is so very underrated), there was nothing like it at the time, easily one of my favorite games on PS3.
I haven't played Dark Souls 3. Without rosetinted glasses, how does it compare to Demon's Souls? I see that it has a meta score at 89.
It's a great game. I still prefer Demon's over it, but it's definitely worth playing.

I'd even go as far as saying that in some ways it feels like a Demon's successor. Not in atmosphere, unfortunately, Demon's ethereal atmosphere is still very much unique in the series, as is its haunting soundtrack, but mechanically it's a bit more on the faster side, after Dark Souls slowed things down from Demon's, and it brings back MP for magic, too.

If Demon's was the only one you played, I'd say you should play Dark 1 instead, but if Dark 3 is the only one you didn't play, it's very much worth it. Some really damn good bosses in that game.