• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
Ok sell me this a bit! I'm a big fan of MH (which I don't even think it matters but you never know lol) never played anything on the souls line, my biggest concern is that it's only skill based but nothing grindable to make it easier, same way I grind gear in MH to kill harder bosses etc, is the core just plain skill and GitGud or you can kind of grind to make your life easier? Aside from that, what's the thing you guys like the most! Might sell me the game if it's something I might like as well :)

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Should I be doing anything special in human form? I'm like... 99% playing in spirit form because I die a bunch. Just killed a boss, back to human, and sure I'll die in next ten minutes. Am I stupid and missing something?

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
These areas definitely shouldn't be tackled linearly if you aren't a veteran Souls player. 1-2 is a ton harder than 1-1. Check out 2-1 or 4-1 after beating Phalanx. I think you'll be happier.
Yeah, good advice. I switched to Spider-Man last night after my Royalty experiment, but I'll probably go on tonight and give another area a go.

This is my first Souls game, i'm really enjoying it, i also got to the Tower Knight and died immediatlyl like 4 times, then i took my time and leveled up a little more, and still died, not as fast but still. Then i used a stone to get my body form and summoned another player at the entrance of the Knight fight, done. I think summoning is an amazing mechanic for bosses if you enjoy the game and don't want to get frustrated with them.
I'll probably end up doing that or just go for the archers first and spam magic at the Knight. I played most of Bloodborne in 2015, so I'm familiar with some of the mechanics, but I still hate how they make co-op convoluted. Just let me invite people through a menu!

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
ive been farming rock worms for 40 minutes and have received nothing but shards. the hell is going on.

EDIT: immediately after posting this i got 3 in one run. hahah

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Should I be doing anything special in human form? I'm like... 99% playing in spirit form because I die a bunch. Just killed a boss, back to human, and sure I'll die in next ten minutes. Am I stupid and missing something?
Depends.

Do you want dark world tendency? If you do then die in human form in the level. If not then die in the nexus so that you don't go darker.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Ooooh, yeah Claymore is the type of anti-caster heavy sword build I wanted to try to run this time around. That sounds fun and nice to hear it works with faith and is good.

So basically I need to grind up 15k (probably on the 1-2 blue knights is fastest at this point) and get that and upgrade it a bit to get back on track. Also maybe grab the Blessed Mace in 5-1 to use as well.

Where can I get the heal ring? Also can I use the heal spell if I buy it with a faith build? Or do you need MAG for it?

The skeletons in 4-1 are the best farming spot in the early going. 15k souls shouldn't be more than 15 minutes, but I wouldn't mess with the red eyed katana skeleton there unless you have some basic spellcasting.

The Morningstar laying around at the very beginning of 5-1 is a blunt weapon that makes short work of them. Im lower level than you and they go down in 2 strikes from it, after upgrading. There's a blessed mace in there also but 5-1 is a mess to navigate.

The opening of 4-1 has the crescent falchion which deals out split magic/physical damage, a talisman that allows miracles, the ring that regenerates health, a Katana that might be the best dex weapon in the game AND a compound longbow that's easily upgradable to a complete monster of a range weapon.

4-1 should be an immediate go to after 1-1, with some side stops in 2-1 to open up a useful blacksmith and some blunt weapons in 5-1 to make your life easier.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
Where the heck do I get mats to upgrade the crescent falchion? I have been farming lizards in 2-1 and 2-2 for hours and still don't have enough for an upgrade. I must be missing something .

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just a few short days now for us UK folk.

Do you guys recommend just winging the build for the first run or is it advisable to go in pre-planned. I winged it on Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 & Dark Souls Remastered, but with all the builds talk pre release, feeling like I should try thinking it through for once.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't that bad even if you're going for a Faith Build. You probably wouldn't want to go too much higher, but you'd generally want to end up something like:

40 VIT
40 FAITH
40 END
20 STR

which if everything else was at starting you'd end up at SL98 assuming you started as a night, which gives you 22 additional SL to play with to hit the common PvP stopping point. That's totally salvageable.

At your currently level you've lots of freedom to go in almost any direction. That level of Strength is common for a lot of builds since DSS requires 16* Strength.

*misremembered, but still, 19 strength is at worst 3 lost points which isn't bad and should open up additional options.

I finished the game at level 65 and the final boss was a pushover. Unless you farm like crazy you're not going to be hitting anywhere close to 98, nor do you need to.

Kronos

Mar 12, 2019
I'm guessing I should wait before I take on the Dragon God after beating Flamelurker? Went in and got one shot immediately lmao

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a recommended order of places to tackle after you beat the first Boletarian level? Are some archstones much harder than others, or is every archstone's first area comparably difficult and each subsequent level within the archstone gets harder?

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Is my game bugged? The music is incredibly low. I just got to the tower knight boss and if the sound effects are at a 10, the music sounds like it's at a 4. In the original game the music was a big part of the game and the music volume was on par with the sound effects. It's really disappointing. I'm going to see if I can tweak it in the game.

Couple glitches. The dragon glitches in its animation on each of the two bridge segments when going to the tower knight. Hopefully that gets fixed. Also, if you leave a summon sign right before one of the bridges and you die after being summoned, when you reload the game will go into single digit fps for maybe 30 seconds. Happened twice to me.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really wish they had made playing co op more like dark souls. Having to find these very rare Stone of Ephemeral is really killing the mood, especially since I got my brother to pick up the game to co op with.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
153 arrows later, the red dragon is dead. Glad my progress saved when the power went out.
Good to know. May I ask what your bow/stats were?

Man, I really wish they had made playing co op more like dark souls. Having to find these very rare Stone of Ephemeral is really killing the mood, especially since I got my brother to pick up the game to co op with.
Not sure what you mean. But in Dark Souls you need to be human to summon too?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Uh oh, so I grinded up my 15k souls to buy that Claymore I thought was being sold at the blacksmith in 2-1 only to find out it was some other merchant that had it when I couldn't afford it.

Looked it up and apparently it's the merchant in 1-1 and 1-2 who then disappears after you beat tower knight until the archstone is unlocked.

So now I can't buy it whooops. Apparently the blue-knight guys rare drop it, but I used them to grind (I know you guys said skeletons in 4-1 are faster, but I was lazy and the bonfire after tower knight is so easy. Not only that but during grinding 15k souls I got 70 half-moon grasses and like 30 bolts so that took care of my no healing items and no arrows problem as well!). I got 2 knight shield drops from them in the 15 mins of grind, but no claymore so I gotta imagine it's pretty dang low chance drop.

Should I just pump my 15k souls I grinded into my levels (faith stat points) and go grab the blessed mace in 5-1 and use that until I can buy the claymore later in the game? I want my faith/str claymore build ;_;

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Dying in human form moves your world tendency to Black, so I would suggest not doing that

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Also if a physical pure melee tank build is kinda a bad idea, what is a really good & strong build in this game that is not just doing a ranged spellcaster or archer? Would an enchanted spear build (for magic and putting a little distance) work?

Yeah Tower Knight was a way different experience than my memories of playing caster. This time I stayed by the bottom of the stairs and baited his attacks and then ran in and got a sword slash or two at his feet and then ran to the stairs, repeat until he falls. Took some time but got it on the first try and wasn't too bad.

I'm going to ditch some of my armor and get under 50% then. I figure with the spider I should be able to roll under the web spits, right? Then at least I don't have to worry about blocking the fireball damage.
A tank is basically a good shield in this game. Claymore, good shield and sub 50% weight to avoid fat roll and you can finish the full game.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Five minutes ago I would have said, "yeah, great, but I'm gonna die in this game."

But I suppose based on the other reply, you mean it's better to just off myself in the Nexus?

Yup.

The alternative is that your world shifts to black and you have black phantoms parading around and the overall difficulty goes up.

If you're really interested in summoning help then stick to body form. Otherwise it makes things harder and you will have a rough time manipulating world tendency for bonus items.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Uh oh, so I grinded up my 15k souls to buy that Claymore I thought was being sold at the blacksmith in 2-1 only to find out it was some other merchant that had it when I couldn't afford it.

Looked it up and apparently it's the merchant in 1-1 and 1-2 who then disappears after you beat tower knight until the archstone is unlocked.

So now I can't buy it whooops. Apparently the blue-knight guys rare drop it, but I used them to grind (I know you guys said skeletons in 4-1 are faster, but I was lazy and the bonfire after tower knight is so easy. Not only that but during grinding 15k souls I got 70 half-moon grasses and like 30 bolts so that took care of my no healing items and no arrows problem as well!). I got 2 knight shield drops from them in the 15 mins of grind, but no claymore so I gotta imagine it's pretty dang low chance drop.

Should I just pump my 15k souls I grinded into my levels (faith stat points) and go grab the blessed mace in 5-1 and use that until I can buy the claymore later in the game? I want my faith/str claymore build ;_;
Oh damn, I didn't realize the merchant disappeared from 1-2 after you beat TK.... I thought he only moved after you lifted the fog from the door to 1-3. Sorry dude. :(

And yeah that blessed mace might work...
But, hmm, how do you feel about halberds or polearms? An alternative to the claymore would be the mirdan hammer which is also a very good weapon. They drop from the scale miners in 2-2, and you find a free one early into 5-2. 5-2 would be too harsh to take on early overall, IMO, but 5-1 should be doable with the blessed mace alone, and if you can run to pick up the MH and retreat to the archstone (I could give you directions to it if you want), maybe that'll help.

According to 99humanity below, this is wrong and the merchant should still be in 1-2!

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
So with the exception of the cap/hat, which is apparently the same as the OG, are the other three pieces of the Fat Official set farmable in 2-1?

I got the clothes from 2-2, the legs from the first official in 2-1 and the gloves from the second one in 2-1. I was missing the gloves and tried farming that first official a few times and it didn't drop, but got it the first time I killed the second one, so they're probably just guaranteed rather than farmable

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017

Just a heads up, that information is wrong (at least for the remake), that merchant is still there! I had to buy the club from him, and he was there before I had unlocked the door after tower knight fight.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
They probably mean the soft humanity thing. You can go human without having Humanity items just by playing the game, which is pretty cool.

I also miss that system a lot in pretty much every other game.
Ah. I honestly didn't care for it, because carrying humanity that you can lose in a bloodstain was kind of stressful haha

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Dragon God is stupid, idk what I'm supposed to do, anywhere I stand is a OHK and it's real hard to judge where the hands are gonna hit. Spent 2 hours summoning people who would just run in and die. Making it past enough debris feels like luck

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone clarify co-op for me?

If my and a friend are both souls can we still play co-op? And are the blue stones single use items? I only have one so I have no idea where I would get more from.

And how do I go about using Summon Signs?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Oh damn, I didn't realize the merchant disappeared from 1-2 after you beat TK.... I thought he only moved after you lifted the fog from the door to 1-3. Sorry dude. :(

And yeah that blessed mace might work...
But, hmm, how do you feel about halberds or polearms? An alternative to the claymore would be the mirdan hammer which is also a very good weapon. They drop from the scale miners in 2-2, and you find a free one early into 5-2. 5-2 would be too harsh to take on early overall, IMO, but 5-1 should be doable with the blessed mace alone, and if you can run to pick up the MH and retreat to the archstone (I could give you directions to it if you want), maybe that'll help.

I have the meridian hammer from a drop but it needs some dex points (12 I think). I'd love to try a polearm/spear because in all the souls games I've never done a build with one of those and theoretically keeping distance sounds great. I do need some dex points if I go that way too.

Also since I'm sitting on all these souls atm, should I buy the heal spell? I wonder, is there any point in using heal if you have a ton of grass? *edit* bought the heal spell anyway. 5k souls is nothing.

Just a heads up, that information is wrong (at least for the remake), that merchant is still there! I had to buy the club from him, and he was there before I had unlocked the door after tower knight fight.

Awesome. Will go see him.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Can someone clarify co-op for me?

If my and a friend are both souls can we still play co-op? And are the blue stones single use items? I only have one so I have no idea where I would get more from.

And how do I go about using Summon Signs?
- To summon help, you need to be in body form, with the boss of the level still alive.
- To be summoned as a helper (phantom), you need to be in soul form, and drop a summon sign by using the Blue Eye Stone.
- The Blue Eye Stone is infinite use.
- Once a sign is dropped by the phantom, the host will eventually see it appear on the ground where the phantom dropped it, and can pick it up to summon.

If you want to play with your friend, make sure you use a password so that the summon sign doesn't appear for other players to snatch it from you.
Also since I'm sitting on all these souls atm, should I buy the heal spell? I wonder, is there any point in using heal if you have a ton of grass?
Well, it saves on some grass, for sure. If you have something to regen MP it can add up.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Just

Killed Maiden Astraea in front of Garl Vinland for the trophy. Didn't even cheese it with arrows. Just parried him non-fatally and attacked her with a falchion. His failure was complete and total.

It does *not* feel good, man.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
- To summon help, you need to be in body form, with the boss of the level still alive.
- To be summoned as a helper (phantom), you need to be in soul form, and drop a summon sign by using the Blue Eye Stone.
- The Blue Eye Stone is infinite use.
- Once a sign is dropped by the phantom, the host will eventually see it appear on the ground where the phantom dropped it, and can pick it up to summon.

If you want to play with your friend, make sure you use a password so that the summon sign doesn't appear for other players to snatch it from you.

Well, it saves on some grass, for sure. If you have something to regen MP it can add up.
This helps a ton, thanks! So does this mean two souls can't play together? Or is it just easier to summon others with your body?

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I got the clothes from 2-2, the legs from the first official in 2-1 and the gloves from the second one in 2-1. I was missing the gloves and tried farming that first official a few times and it didn't drop, but got it the first time I killed the second one, so they're probably just guaranteed rather than farmable

I'm thinking you're right. I've been at these 2-1 officials for a while and I haven't gotten clothes or even dupes of the gloves/legs. I guess given what it's used for, it makes sense you don't have to actually farm it.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
This helps a ton, thanks! So does this mean two souls can't play together? Or is it just easier to summon others with your body?
Correct, you can't summon in soul form.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that if you are a phantom, and help the host defeat the boss, you will revive to body form. However, the boss will still be alive in your world, you need to defeat it in your own world to progress. Being a phantom is basically just a temp assistant to another player.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
I played this for 15 min on ps3 before turning it off never went back. I beat bloodborne with ease using a fast pace build with the dual daggers.

What class should I pick if I like to use swords and attack fast or what's the most op class in the game?

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game at level 65 and the final boss was a pushover. Unless you farm like crazy you're not going to be hitting anywhere close to 98, nor do you need to.
In the original, the 'final' place most builds would stop levelling was 120 and in the context of PvP unless things change, that's around the place to expect most builds to end. Generally you'll be in NG+ or NG++ to reach that. At the level the person I was responding to was at, they've nowhere nearly messed up their build.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

The alternative is that your world shifts to black and you have black phantoms parading around and the overall difficulty goes up.

If you're really interested in summoning help then stick to body form. Otherwise it makes things harder and you will have a rough time manipulating world tendency for bonus items.

Awesome - thank you. Just killed myself in the Nexus so I don't have to worry about it ;p

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Damnit, I've got the frozen title screen bug. Fixed by restarting.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Finally got around to killing off the Armor spider.
Checked the trophy list and only 26% of players have beaten it.

Phalanx is still at 60%.

Seems like a LOT of players are hitting some brick walls fairly early and deciding Bugsnax is more their speed

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Ok, got my claymore and was able to get it up to +4 with a few souls spent on hard sharpstone. Also added 1 more lvl stat to STR to at STR 20 and can single handed wield it.

Definite upgrade from my bastard sword. Atk is 173 and longer/wider range reach. If I enchant it with an item/spell that should give me a good magic weapon, right? Is there a magic spell in this one to enchant your weapon?

Also can you branch your upgrade paths and turn physical weapons into enchanted weapons later on? Or did that not start until Dark Souls? I can't remember, but it was very useful in the later games...

Ready to go into 4-1/5-1 before trying Armored Spider again. I wish the world tendency in world 2 would go away from pure black. I've only died there twice in body form, the first time I died in there after beating 1-2, then I went and did 3-1 and beat that, and died again in 2-1. Seems weird that would make it pure black. Is there nothing I can do until I clear the boss to turn it white?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Ok, got my claymore and was able to get it up to +4 with a few souls spent on hard sharpstone. Also added 1 more lvl stat to STR to at STR 20 and can single handed wield it.

Definite upgrade from my bastard sword. Atk is 173 and longer/wider range reach. If I enchant it with an item/spell that should give me a good magic weapon, right? Is there a magic spell in this one to enchant your weapon?

Also can you branch your upgrade paths and turn physical weapons into enchanted weapons later on? Or did that not start until Dark Souls? I can't remember, but it was very useful in the later games...

Ready to go into 4-1/5-1 before trying Armored Spider again. I wish the world tendency in world 2 would go away from pure black. I've only died there twice in body form, the first time I died in there after beating 1-2, then I went and did 3-1 and beat that, and died again in 2-1. Seems weird that would make it pure black. Is there nothing I can do until I clear the boss to turn it white?

The enchant weapon spell isn't available until you are able to transmute boss souls using the red hot demon's soul, free sage freke AND beat Penetrator.

Its not an option for you.

There is an item that will mimic it (sticky white slime) you should have picked up in 2-1. You can also buy it from a merchant in 4-1, but by then you should have access to the crescent falchion anyway.

If you defeat an invader you can shift your tendency back towards white.