• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Seems like most of the PS5 exclusives from Sony defintely started out as PS4 games at some point.

Insomniac mentioned in an interview recently that R&C was buit for PS5 specs from the outset, so that port is probably ruled out.

Not sure about Returnal tho~

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020

Seems like most of the PS5 exclusives from Sony defintely started out as PS4 games at some point.

Insomniac mentioned in an interview recently that R&C was buit for PS5 specs from the outset, so that port is probably ruled out.

Not sure about Returnal tho~

How did you get to that conclusion based on the tweet?

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
isn't it smart of sony to port over all their games to ps4? that's what many are saying in the cross gen threads.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
This is old btw, people had found this initially around DeS's launch. It doesn't really mean much to hint for a PS4 port.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's really nothing about DeS PS5 that MANDATES it being on PS5, so I wouldn't be hugely shocked if it gets a delayed-release PS4 version.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it was just something they worked on behind closed doors with no intention of ever releasing.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Kinda weird but also kinda not at the same time since there were rumors about it being on PS4 where media market listed it for that platform or when Sony had to remove the template card for the Demon' Souls trailer last year as it noted to be coming to other consoles later..

Either way this clearly has a build uploaded on the PS Database which could be a canned build... or not. Guess if we wait long enough we'll find out!

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Most likely I think it was made on a PS4 dev kit first and finished on PS5 hardware.

I'm not going to read into it too much

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
isn't it smart of sony to port over all their games to ps4? that's what many are saying in the cross gen threads.
There's a different between being cross gen at teh start and releasing a downport a year later. Cross gen, and yeah, DeS could have had a boost in sales on PS4. Downport, it probably won't sell much/ isn't that viable tbh.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It wouldn't surprise me to be honest, I didn't see anything playing this game that couldn't be down scaled to PS4.

Not sure if I would want to play it that way though

Oct 30, 2017
It really could just be something they toyed with for a little while but never had much intention of learning. Or if the game originally started on a PS4 development kit?

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They most likely did some prototyping and early pre-production on PS4 kits because they had them laying around at a time where Sony may not have finalized the PS5 devkits yet.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
I don't know when the PS5 specs got finalized, but it is likely they started on PS4.

And this game is possible on a PS4 with much lowered graphical settings and asset density, as well as significantly longer load times.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Personally I don't think Astrobot is going to come to PS4 but it won't be for the reason you say because after all Sony has already transformed the entire Tearaway to adapt it from Vita to PS4.

That's basically a new game, ported to a newer system. They're not going to retool Astro completely just to put it on an older system.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
They could simply bring back the PS3 loading zones couldn't they? It's not like the game was fundamentally designed for the PS5.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
How many millions of users still have a PS4 and dont have a PS5, is the answer on why it should be port over. Its an instant buy for me.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I guess a lot of people still aren't familiar with Acquiescence's trolling ways?

Of course Astro's Playroom isn't coming to the PS4. 😑

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
No it can't be true. I was told it's not technically possible!! 😂

All is possible if you cut things...resolution, framerate, assets, longer loading times... I mean...The Witcher 3 is available on Nintendo Switch.

Impossible things are games designed from the bottom for PS5 like Ratchet and Clank.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
It's a 1:1 remake of a PS3 game so fundamentally there should be no reason you can't run it on PS4 if you scale back geometry/graphics/framerate/loading times. That being said, I don't know if a PS4 port will go over well after all the sneaky cross-gen stuff. And at people saying "astro on PS4", that game would make absolutely no sense on PS4 as 80% of that game was meant to incorporate DualSense functionality and show off PS5 capabilities. Sackboy, sure, but Astro? No

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
No it can't be true. I was told it's not technically possible!! 😂
I wonder who keeps making those claims.

As far as I can see, all current gen games are possible on last gen hardware with lots of reduced functions and features.

The only 1 might be Rift Apart due to the way it loads the pocket dimensions or really quick loafing other levels. But if Insomniac really put themselves to do it, they could.

All other major PS5 games could be technically ported to PS4. I mean look at Xbox games. Most have a Series S version. They are scalable. If devs really wanted to, all games could be done this way. Only issue is it limits the possibilities of they make games with cross gen in mind.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
All is possible if you cut things...resolution, framerate, assets, longer loading times... I mean...The Witcher 3 is available on Nintendo Switch.

Impossible things are games designed from the bottom for PS5 like Ratchet and Clank.

I mean, I'm sure Ratchet and Clank would be possible with cuts too, it would just require more of them, and would probably not be worth it.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It probably started development on the PS4 intially. Who knows when the PS5 was finalized.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I mean, I'm sure Ratchet and Clank would be possible with cuts too, it would just require more of them, and would probably not be worth it.
Ratchet's "cuts" would be waiting at least 30 seconds each time you enter a portal, that is not a very viable way to play it. The issue is in the frequency of these events that make it an unplayable experience on a PS4.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017

On Ratchet and Clank case...they have to change how the game works (totally different game, maybe like Forza Horizon 2 (360) or even worst...). If you played the game...it's impossible to do one of the first scenes of the game on a PS4....literally.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Ratchet's "cuts" would be waiting at least 30 seconds each time you enter a portal, that is not a very viable way to play it. The issue is in the frequency of these events that make it an unplayable experience on a PS4.
This. Even though I think 30 seconds is on the low end, because on PS4 it would probably need closer to a minute xD

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This is old btw, people had found this initially around DeS's launch. It doesn't really mean much to hint for a PS4 port.
There was another 'Content ID' for this and this is another code as per the twitter handle..

Also this person says that they found it after the PS5 version was added in.

but maybe its the same as the one you're talking about since you said 'around launch'.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What? This is untrue. Just because you assume something does not mean stuff was teased.

And again, your title communicates a different message from the tweet.

Wishful thinking/speculation is just that
Gran Turismo 7 literally got called a PS5 exclusive.
gt7-ps5-adspot-20201208-001-1200x675.png

Meanwhile games like Horizon at first got only announced for PS5. Thus it's not surprising people expect those to be PS5 exclusive.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm pretty sure the vehicles (Rocket Ship, Monkey, Spring) use the adaptive triggers to control how far and fast you move.
the game is completely playable with a DS4 in remote play so it's not mandatory by any means

there's also zero reason for them to release it at all, but there's really nothing stopping them from doing it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
the game is completely playable with a DS4 in remote play so it's not mandatory by any means

there's also zero reason for them to release it at all, but there's really nothing stopping them from doing it.
yo did you actually play astro's playroom?

I can't imagine anyone who's actually played the game thinking that it'd be a smart idea for Sony to have it ported to PS4 and charge money for it.

Every aspect of that game's identity is intertwined with its presence as a PS5 pack in.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The notion that 'adaptive triggers' are somehow required for Astro Bot is pretty funny, that's not adaptive triggers, that's just analog triggers, which have been standard for 20 years. All the adaptive triggers and haptics do are give you some fun little feedback feelers, they're totally unnecessary from a control perspective.

yo did you actually play astro's playroom?

I can't imagine anyone who's actually played the game thinking that it'd be a smart idea for Sony to have it ported to PS4 and charge money for it.

Every aspect of that game's identity is intertwined with its presence as a PS5 pack in.
Not a single person has said they think it's actually going to happen, just that there's nothing stopping them from doing it. Which is true.