• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
demons-souls-screenshot-08-disclaimer-en-28oct20

Metacritic (92)
Opencritic (92)

A must-buy for PlayStation 5, should you have the stomach for the original gameplay formula.
Ars Technica (Unscored)

Bluepoint Games and From Software are among the best in the business, and we're fortunate to have their strengths coalesce in such a stellar remake. This console generation is less than a week old, but something tells me we're still going to be raving about Demon's Souls when it comes to a close.
Destructoid (9.5/10)

If you need a challenge that is less forgiving than the Dark Souls' series, then you want Demon's Souls. Bluepoint Games brings the very essence of the original 2009 title with this remastered version, upgrades the experience with PS5 hardware, and makes the game more terrifying.
Digital Chumps (9.5/10)

Demon's Souls kicked off what has become an exhausting caricature in the games industry. From "git gud" to comparing every halfway difficult game to the Souls series, Demon's Souls is ultimately responsible for that. It wasn't the most commercially successful game in itself, but word of mouth earned it a cult status and was directly responsible for the very mainstream Dark Souls. And now people can re-discover the dark majesty of that series foundation. It's a game that deserves to be elevated beyond the jokes and seen as a genuine piece of video game art. I would be very interested if those who have come to the Souls series later will find the deliberately unpolished elements of this remake to be as appealing, but given that FromSoftware will almost certainly never touch the King's Field series again, for me, personally, this is as good as it's ever going to get. As a PlayStation 5 launch title, it's a fascinating example of something that is both deliberately old and a brilliant use of the console's very new hardware, and brought together, Demon's Souls is reason enough to own the console, all into itself.
Digitally Downloaded (5/5)

How do you make peace between a game whose legend was forged through its downbeat double-A mysteries, through its obliqueness - and bleakness - and this, a thumping great triple-A powerhouse of a thing? I'm not sure you can, not that it should impact your enjoyment of it at all. This is a full-blooded roar of a remake, and if some of that original enigma's been lost it's been replaced with a spectacle befitting of a big ticket console launch. Demon's Souls was the ultimate cult game, a thing of strange beauty and outrageous challenge. With this remake, in all its splendour and explosiveness, it's proven to be just as adept as an amped-up, jaw-dropping blockbuster.
Eurogamer (Recommended)

Demon's Souls Remake is a faithful reconstruction of the original game with subtle modern-day improvements. A genre-defining masterpiece, it's one of those games that is not for everyone but should be tried by everyone. Running beautifully in 4k and smoothly at 60FPS, Boletaria will entice you to go further, explore deeper, and dare to die again. Fully worth the PS5 launch price.
Fextralife (9.3/10) (Video)

For newcomers, Demon's Souls will be the first exploration into the duality of despair and triumph, and hopefully go on to become a starting point for new Souls fans. For veterans, it's a homage to an experiment that kicked off a fantastic genre. Either way, it's wonderful that the nascent ethers from the original classic have coalesced and given us this delightful treat.
Game Informer (9.25/10) (Video)

To summarise, Bluepoint Games once again proves that they are the absolute kings and queens of remakes, and this one is by far the best one they have made. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is the best looking game available on PS5, and I really mean that. It doesn't just look pretty, it also feels amazing to play (the DualSense's haptic feedback really adds to the experience as well). It is still the same punishing game, but better. If you enjoy a good challenge and have the patience, you should really consider picking this gem up when you get a PS5.
Gamereactor (9/10)

Quirks aside, Bluepoint's remake is an unmitigated success. It is a technical tour de force and a true showpiece for the PS5 and the power of Sony's next-generation console. But, more importantly, it's also a creative marvel coming from a studio that is clearly showing the world it has its own voice. Bluepoint has taken From Software's original game and expressed it in a richer and fuller way, and in doing so given me something I thought was impossible: the opportunity to relive the experience of falling in love with Souls games for the first time.
Gamespot (9/10) (Video)

Demon's Souls manages to do everything it needs to do, and this remake is a testament to just how good of a game the original was, that all it needed was a fresh coat of paint and still be nothing less than fantastic.
Gamingbolt (9/10)

Demon's Souls is the game to get a PlayStation 5 for and arguably the best launch title in the last couple of decades.
Hardcore Gamer (4.5/5)

Bluepoint's team had the unenviable task of remaking an 11-year-old game with a cult following and making it look – and play – the part of being the very first game developed from the ground up for this current generation of consoles. And that's exactly what they did. Demon's Souls is breathtakingly gorgeous and plays significantly better than it did on the PS3, not only thanks to the graphical power of the PlayStation 5, but because of smart quality-of-life changes and light touches that modernize some frustrating aspects of the original, without ever sacrificing the relentless challenge, puzzle-infused boss battles, and style that made it such a landmark game in the first place.
IGN (9/10) (Video)

Demon's Souls on PlayStation 5 is very much the Demon's Souls you remember from PlayStation 3. It doesn't miss a beat, nailing the same melancholy atmosphere and compelling gameplay that would eventually spawn fellow instant-classics like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro. While there were bound to be a few aspects that could have been more faithful to the original, PlayStation 5's Demon's Souls remake stands out as an incredibly fun way to revisit the cursed land of Boletaria. It's creepy. It's gloomy. You'll get invaded by laggy assholes near the end of a long level and have to do the whole thing over again. It feels like coming home.
Kotaku (Unscored)

A fantastic remake of one of the most influential games of recent history, with stunning visuals and improved technical features that make it easier and less frustrating to play for everyone.
Metro Gamecentral (9/10)

An absolute blueprint on how to remake a beloved title and meaningfully improve upon on it in ways that new cutting edge technologies make possible, Demon's Souls on PlayStation 5 is more than just the best launch game for any system in recent memory. Its re-emergence and digestible approach to its seemingly daunting challenge now opens the door once more to an all-new generation of PlayStation gamers to a kickstart a second coming for Souls subgenre. Demon's Souls is nothing less than a breathless triumph in every way.
PlayStation Universe (10/10)

PlayStation 5 owners are getting something unprecedented: one of the best video games of all time transformed into one of the best-looking games ever.
Polygon (Unscored)

Demon's Souls is without a doubt one of the strongest PS5 launch titles, providing one of the most challenging, yet rewarding experiences. Bluepoint's treatment, although controversial, is immaculate and represents the best way to experience the classic that started it all.
Press Start (9/10)

Teensy quibbles aside, it's difficult to imagine how this Demon's Souls remake could be any better. It looks great, it sounds even better, and it's extremely respectful of the PS3 original, which has aged surprisingly well after all these years. This is an exceptional remake, and it's exactly what Demon's Souls deserves.
PushSquare (10/10)

Demon's Souls PS5 returns to the difficult strategic combat of the original and maintains its resolve in forcing players to figure things out on their own. Graphically, the remake offers a stellar reimagining of the 2009 classic while delivering a bittersweet audio experience. As a launch title for the PlayStation 5, Demon's Souls has something to offer both Soulsborne veterans who want to see an old favorite shine and newcomers looking for a gritty, sometimes disheartening experience that demands perseverance.
Screen Rant (4.5/5)

Bluepoint Games has proved itself once more, nailing Demon's Souls with a remake on the same level as Shadow of the Colossus. At this point, I'd hand the developer the keys to everything. Let the studio make a 60fps Bloodborne. Give them Metal Gear Solid. Let's have a Bluepoint Games Ico. Demon's Souls is the best PS5 game you can play at launch, and I'm sure it will go down in history as one of the best launch titles of all time. The Old One has awoken and I hope this review feeds it more souls. It deserves a full belly.
The Gamer (5/5)

An unforgiving, unrelenting classic reborn for a new generation, Demon's Souls is no more accessible now than it was back in 2010 (though the frame rate is much better). If you've ever been the slightest bit curious about the Souls series then you can revisit ground zero in all its glory, making for one of the best PlayStation launch titles of all time.
The Sixth Axis (9/10)

Demon's Souls is a triumphant remake from Bluepoint Games, introducing the original masterpiece to a whole new generation of players with astonishing results. It's an unparalleled showcase for the PS5, and easily one of the finest launch games the medium has ever seen.

This uncompromising pilgrimage into the Kingdom of Boletaria won't be for everyone. It's incredibly harsh, unforgiving at every turn as you stumble into otherworldly monstrosities who want nothing more than to witness your demise.

But such barriers are worth overcoming, since beyond them is one of the finest RPGs I've played in years – and one you need to experience. It more than lives up to the lofty legacy of its progenitor, proudly taking its place alongside the likes of Dark Souls and Bloodborne as one of the genre's all-time greats.
Trusted Reviews (5/5)

The Demon's Souls is a gorgeous technical powerhouse. Fans may differ on stylistic aesthetic choices, but the core game remains the same challenging and precise experience. It's a perfect way to begin a new console generation for the core gaming set, and an all-time classic you will beg your friends to play.
USGamer (4.5/5)

Demon's Souls is both a fantastic game and a stunning showcase of the next-gen console's capabilities. And while it'll serve as the perfect launch title for many, I'm hesitant to wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone that picks up a PS5. Its rewards are immense, but for those unfamiliar with the genre or craving some stress-free fun on their new hardware, I wouldn't bet against the smile-inducing thrills that come with swinging through NYC as Miles Morales in Spider-Man.

If you're a seasoned Souls-like fan, then it's worth picking up a PS5 just for Demon's Souls. If not, I still recommend having your passport stamped in Boletaria, but know what you're getting into beforehand and proceed with caution … and plenty of Moon Grass.
Venturebeat (5/5)

Though somewhat stylistically uneven, Demon's Souls PS5 manages to capture the spirit of the original game. The experience is certainly not for everyone, but if you manage to get your head around its steep learning curve and obtuse mechanics, Demon's Souls will give you a rewarding experience, seeped in an unrelenting and oppressive atmosphere that you will almost certainly never forget.
VG247 (5/5)

It's hard to imagine a better version of this game. Bluepoint established itself as the master of the remake with Shadow Of The Colossus, but in Demon's Souls, they've produced a launch game that's going to be hard to beat for several years.

It's hard to argue against it being the best looking console game of all time. The gameplay is just as rewarding and fair as ever. It's one of PlayStation's best launch games of all time. If this is what Bluepoint can make on day one of the PlayStation 5, the prospect of what they can achieve with years with the console is incredibly exciting.
VGC (5/5)

It's hard for me to speak to this. Even though I only played Demon's Souls in 2015, that's five years ago. That's long enough for a lot of the details to be fuzzy, and I'll leave people better equipped than myself—such as those with a legitimate sense of taste in art—to dissect the choices being made here. But what I've seen so far looks fantastic. It looks like Demon's Souls, albeit one infused with a little Doom-esque design in some of the boss designs. It works for me, though I suspect it will end up proving controversial with some longtime fans.

What I think is clear in the hours I've played, however, is Demon's Souls has an opportunity to be appreciated by a huge number of people who never had a chance to play it, who either have no way to play the PlayStation 3 version because they do not have access to the hardware, or do not want to play it because the servers were turned off. Both are fair points.

A lot of people hopped on the FromSoftware bandwagon after Demon's Souls had already left the station. This is an opportunity for an underrated masterpiece to take its rightful place.
VICE (In progress)

Last edited:

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably one of the best console launch games of all time.

Last edited:

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Was the embargo lifted just now? I was looking for reviews earlier and got nothing.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Most will be review in progress for a little while
www.metacritic.com

Demon's Souls

Demon's Souls for PlayStation 5 game reviews & Metacritic score: From PlayStation Studios and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon’s Souls. Entirely rebuilt from the ground up and masterfully enh...

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Polygon
What is clear, before I've finished the game, is that Demon's Souls is a rare thing to see at a console's launch: It's a game that shows off the graphical, audio, and other technical capabilities of Sony's new PlayStation 5, and it's also a game that will likely be played for years to come, instead of for a month before being forgotten. I'm still wondering if Bluepoint has changed too little about the original Demon's Souls blueprint, which is laborious in stretches, but that's a battle I'm having with my own inner demons.
www.polygon.com

The new Demon’s Souls is the old Demon’s Souls, but shinier

The PS5 game feels simultaneously modern and a decade old

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest change in the Demon's Souls remake is that world tendency is based on the metacritic score.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Aww...we didn't even get a poll to guess the score? :/
I'll say around 90-93.