• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Figured this could get its own thread:

Buy Demon's Souls - PS5™ Disc Game | PlayStation® (US)

Become the slayer of demons as you venture to the northern kingdom of Boletaria – a once prosperous land of knights, now beset with unspeakable evil on PS5.

1 player. 2-6 network players.

Yesssss

Demon's Souls only had up to 4 players (1 host, 2 phantoms and 1 invader). Same with Dark Souls 1 and 2 and Bloodborne. It was only starting from Dark Souls 3 that we started having up to 6 players. Using an item called the "Dried Finger", you could summon a 3rd phantom, but it also opened you up to a 2nd invader, and in some specific areas, you could have up to 3 hostiles/invaders (you could also organize red soapstone summons and have up to 3 friendly cooperators vs 3 red phantoms and go crazy).

So we can probably expect to see various online multiplayer scenarios like 2v2, 3v1, 3v2, 3v3, etc. invasions/duels in the Demon's Souls remake, which is really exciting for me as a PvP player. I really enjoyed those types of encounters in Dark Souls 3, and the first DLC also added a PvP arena that allowed for modes like 2v2 duels, 3v3, and even battle royales.

I do wonder if they'll tweak the Old Monk boss too. If you have a phantom, perhaps the Old Monk could have a possible helper, kind of like the Looking Glass Knight boss fight in Dark Souls 2? But I'm admittedly speculating wildly here.

Dec 23, 2017
Fight club revival~

maxresdefault.jpg

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice find.

I hope they make a dedicated State of Play for the launch titles closer to release, like they did with TLOU2 and Tsushima.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wow, more players than the original? Do they not respect FROM's original vision?

/s

I remember summoning a bunch of dudes at the end of Demon's Souls 1 and having even just one more would be badass.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I said in the other thread Bluepoint has something up it's sleeves. At the very least I'm hyped to see the multiplayer updated to be more in line with the current games.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How will they address certain parts of the game as online is no longer free?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if they'll keep scraping spear and soulsucker as is. I hope so but I wouldn't be surprised to see them reworked

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Dark Souls 3 could end up with potentially six players too if you used Dried Finger and then also ended up with bluebros, or fought in one of the areas with the factions.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Speaking of the "MP"

I hope Demon's is solid for Offline or even just summon play in-general. At launch, the lack of AI summons in bloodborne was probably my least favorite aspect of it as the Multiplayer was always busted for me with those damn bells.

I don't think i'll have trouble summoning people, but would like the option to have backups if that comes to be for whatever reason as it's kinda standard for the series now to have that.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
tfw 3 invaders with 99 dark moon grass

Also fuck "fight clubs". Takes too many people out of the coop and invasion population imo. I guess they're a good thing once the game is a bit older though.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh yes Saturday night Fight Clubs are back. Invading with more people in the mix is something I love about DS3 so I'm excited to see this in Demon's Souls.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Anyone from 4-1 NA fight club around on Era? 👀

I wonder if they'll bring other QoL changes from Dark Souls 3. Password matching is almost a given. But how about the weapon level matching to avoid low-level griefing (I do hope that's in), or dried finger to remove invasions cooldown, etc. The dried finger was also what allowed >4 players to begin with, so I don't know if Demon's will use a similar system with a special item, or if multiple invaders will be automatically open if you have phantoms present etc.

Can't wait to find out. And to troll everyone with the Scraping Spear 😏

How will they address certain parts of the game as online is no longer free?
The game is fully playable offline. The only thing you cannot obtain when playing purely offline was the Monk's Headwrap, which was an item you gained after defeating a player as the Old Monk boss.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
tfw 3 invaders with 99 dark moon grass
lmaooooo

I do wonder if they will re-work the grass system. Perhaps you can only carry up to 5-10 of each type or something, this time.

Also fuck "fight clubs". Takes too many people out of the coop and invasion population imo. I guess they're a good thing once the game is a bit older though.
Yeah, I don't entirely disagree. In Demon's, I got bored with regular invasions pretty fast and got addicted to fight clubs, but in Dark Souls, that never happened, I just kind of stuck to regular invasions and had way more fun doing that than the fight clubs. Not sure why. Guess I didn't want to re-learn new "metas" and whatnot... or it was just more fun to stalk your prey through levels and stuff :D Plus, not needing to suicide from body form to be able to re-invade was a good incentive. That shit was annoying for invading in Demon's. I hope they allow body-form invasions/dropping signs.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the "MP"

I hope Demon's is solid for Offline or even just summon play in-general. At launch, the lack of AI summons in bloodborne was probably my least favorite aspect of it as the Multiplayer was always busted for me with those damn bells.

I don't think i'll have trouble summoning people, but would like the option to have backups if that comes to be for whatever reason as it's kinda standard for the series now to have that.

No AI summons in Demon's Souls but I feel like they'll add them. Seems like an obvious thing to add.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
👀

an arena mode sounds awesome...or what if they added something similar to chalice dungeons that lets you 3v3 or something (and that's the 6th archstone ahhhh)

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Pls tell me they are reworking the grass system. Imagine all the healing that would go on.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't entirely disagree. In Demon's, I got bored with regular invasions pretty fast and got addicted to fight clubs, but in Dark Souls, that never happened, I just kind of stuck to regular invasions and had way more fun doing that than the fight clubs. Not sure why. Guess I didn't want to re-learn new "metas" and whatnot... or it was just more fun to stalk your prey through levels and stuff :D Plus, not needing to suicide from body form to be able to re-invade was a good incentive. That shit was annoying for invading in Demon's. I hope they allow body-form invasions/dropping signs.
I'm probably overstating the problem since I doubt it will be that fightclubby while the game is young and it does help longevity. I guess the amount of people that still want to invade like 2 years after launch will always be low.

And yeah it seemed like no one invaded much in Demon's Souls. I was dead my entire playthrough and didn't even know there was an online mode until I walked past the stone after penetrator and saw summon signs on the ground for 1-4 and was like what the fuck are these.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this already known? I knew it was going to have six players before today. That's also why I was so salty about not being able to pre-order a PS5 since I wanted to play this during the first week.

(Also, there's a scythe as a pre-order bonus)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Wasn't this already known? I knew it was going to have six players before today. That's also why I was so salty about not being able to preorder a PS5 since I wanted to play this during the first week.
Well, maybe you did, but it's the first time I heard of it. I'm pretty stoked.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Now if Demon's PvP weren't a broken mess we might have something here, lol.

It was the most busted game in the series in that respect.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Fight clubs are some of the best parts of souls games.

Some of my favorite memories of Dark Souls 2 is fight clubs.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if these things will be changed (most already mentioned):

Healing grass - feels really punishing/rare to a brand new player early on, and then at some point you can just heal fully instantly whenever you want. It's dumb in single player and ruins PVP
Scraping Spear - Durability actually matters in DeS so it can be devastating. But if they change it the weapon would probably be useless.
Crystal Lizards - I'd surprised if they were as rare or if you could still load to spawn in front of one. It's hard to not just do the quit/reload thing in the original because they're so frustrating, but that does have its charm. I like the rarity as it's an incentive to go into NG+
Upgrade Rarity - I wouldn't mind farming slightly less and there's not a chance they'll keep pure bladestone as rare as it is... right? If they're adding weapons to the game, there will probably be more upgrade stones around.
Talisman of Beasts - you can use it without meeting the magic stat to circumvent most of the HP loss from Cursed Weapon. Weird/unintended interactions like this will possibly be gone with new ones taking their place considering the game is built from the ground up.
NPC Permadeath - It's one of the small details that makes the game great imo. But considering future Souls games have ways to mitigate this besides NG+, I feel this might get reworked.
Shortcut in 4-1 -- They could make this more straightforward/ "official". Adding the vault ledge in the tutorial is a nice example of a subtle level design change for the better.
Black Phantom NPC health - I don't want them to be easier, but I could definitely see this happening. A remake could have them still be really challenging with better AI and not just being damage sponges

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Can't wait to invade a world with 4 phantoms.

I never play coop tbh (if I am, to help a friend of something), all I do is invade or fight club (but more invasion). Can't wait to destroy the new players.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
so now its a chaotic clusterfuck.. great.

bad and unnecessary change IMO. why do this? more players isnt always better ffs, the levels are cramped and claustrophobic already, with 6 players fighting it will be a mess, barely any room to strategize.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering what will happen to the network mode. glad to see it gonna be back. Please sony, don't kill the serevrs of this game, like FOREEVER !