• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Fuck apologists. As a next-gen console feature, that is not good to hear.

Launch line up and all that, let's hope that isn't a sign of things to come.

I'm not sure if this is a serious post but I'll treat it as such for argument sake.
RT isn't mandated, it's supported. Devs will build their games however they see fit.
Who are you swearing at? People that are not bothered by the lack of RT? And what signs are you talking about exactly?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Bluepoint YOU BLEW IT. How dare you make an amazing looking remake and not add RT to it, now I'm only going to play this game twice. Hey if there's one good thing about this news is that purist can be happy the game has another similarity to the original.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The Demon's Souls remake announcement video was one of the first 4K videos I watched on my new OLED and it looks absolutely insane, as do the 2 gameplay trailers.

Awesome that you can switch between both modes on the fly, so you can do a playthrough at 60fps but switch it to 4K/30/higher fidelity just for photo mode.

Yeah, that sounds awesome to me.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about GAMER culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in social media where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw GAMERS over GAMES, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the GAMERS, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PS5, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated GAMERS with this move.
Sony, publicly apologize and add ray tracing for Demon's Souls Remake you can kiss your business goodbye.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about GAMER culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in social media where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw GAMERS over GAMES, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the GAMERS, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PS5, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated GAMERS with this move.
Sony, publicly apologize and add ray tracing for Demon's Souls Remake you can kiss your business goodbye.
Lol wtf is this

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Unacceptable in 2020. No ray tracing? What is this, the Nintendo Gamecube?

Im going to preorder a PS5 right now so that I can cancel my preorder in disgust.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Due to the incredible visual fidelity and pristine particle effects (dragon fire actually looks like genuine fire), I could definitely live without ray tracing. I think Bluepoint probably removed ray tracing partly because it didn't improve the graphics that much to justify the performance cost. That makes most sense to me if they did remove it entirely. 4K 60fps with that graphical fidelity is next-gen enough to me.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I understand the benefits for development RT introduces such as not needing to spend time placing/baking light sources (probably over simplifying it) but yeah the cost just isn't worth it yet imo, and I say that as someone that's spent an absurd amount of time fiddling with both the path tracing Java Minecraft mod plus the full RTX beta for the W10 version. The tech can look absolutely beautiful and amazing but there are also plenty of times where I can't really tell a big difference in games with baked solutions. I was convinced I was looking at RT enabled screens of 2077 for awhile only to learn they weren't enabled.

Look at something like AC: Unity, that still has some of the most impressive baked lighting, or lighting period in any game. Then there's something like Kingdom Come: Deliverance that uses a somewhat path traced system (cryengine lighting technique can't recall the name) which is honestly one of the prettiest lighting solutions I've seen in a game and its barely taxing on gpus compared to RT. I think a middle ground solution like this is more viable this gen than the full RT effects which are mostly relegated to reflections and shadows anyhow in most current releases. Things like a good AO implementation will be more important to a game's overall look. Just take a glance at one of the many Flight Sim 2020 videos out there, its probably the prettiest game ever made and a lot of that is down to a very well done AO system (and dem clouds). Yes I know its getting RT in a later update but again I don't think its worth the perf cost rn.

All this said I do hope AMD has an answer to DLSS for the chips in the new consoles. Not sure if that's impossible with the hw or can be tweaked with a driver update or what.

The name of the Cryengine technology for Kingdom Come: Deliverance is SVOGI (Sparse voxel octree global illumination).

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Look at something like AC: Unity, that still has some of the most impressive baked lighting, or lighting period in any game. .

Thank you for being the only other person in years to mention that Unity had some of the best lighting of the generation. The first time the clouds passed over the sun and covered the map in shade was one of my biggest thus is next gen moments of the gen. Sadly, at least on Ps4, no other game accomplished that.

They need a remaster on Unity to set the stage for a return of single city ac games.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The fact that people complaining have to actually be told that RT isn't in the game after seeing multiple times to be mad really makes the concern hilarious.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The game looks fantastic running @60. But it's weird they still have a 30fps mode? It doesn't have RT, what's the point?

Alexx

Oct 27, 2017
Alexx, sometimes developers choose certain features on their games because they have a particular vision. To get that vision executed properly, they may take things in or out depending on their budget, man power and time. They dont make games and hit check boxes for enthusiasts to brag about in forums.

If you took a sec to read Gavin's response, when they began making the game, they did so without RT in mind because it was likely still not a feature to be finalized until later. So they opted for their own set of features while delivering a magnificent revisioning of the original classic.

In a sense we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves. The gameplay we have seen so far points to a promising and impressive remaster.

I dont think even 4K native / 60 will be standard this generation yet we have people thinking otherwise. RT is also something people should not expect on every AAA game. If you keep tabs of PC gaming, RT is still very taxing on the most expensive rigs. (Even if you can run it, it would cost you more than $500 to do so on a GPU alone) All i will say is that RT was not something 99% of gamers were even thinking about prior to leaks of the systems. For me personally it was a nice surprise that it's being supported on a $500 console(s). Realistic i do not expect RT on every game and neither should everyone. Its a cool feature but it does not define what next gen is about.

For clarification, I was only expecting RT because the game was stated to have RT when it was announced. The sudden announcement of no RT a few weeks before launch makes it seem like a bait-and-switch.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta leave some for PS6's Remake-Remaster-RayTracing Edition.

Oct 28, 2017
Take it from someone who didn't get a PC good enough for 60fps+ with most of the bells and whistles on until earlier this year...60fps is what you want. Its been a game changer for me and there is no going back. I'll gladly cut back a little bit here or there just to make sure I'm at a locked 60fps or above.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said there wasn't going to be raytracing but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew raytracing was expected, they should've cancelled the game.

/s, obviously

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
played Watch dogs on my PC yesterday. First game I've tried with RTX since getting a 3080. pretty much everything on ultra with RT on high. Looked..fine?

The most impressive ray tracing moments weren't the fancy reflections - it was times you weren't necessarily paying attention. The big puddle reflections etc you could probably emulate close enough with SSR or cube maps or a blend of the two. But things like shiny complex surfaces where you don't see a clear reflection but its much more reactive to your character moving or things moving around you than a simpler object would be that perhaps is just adjusting based on simple specular etc. And one time in a lab with glass doors and windows everywhere. I was running away from a guard and as I went to the doorway my own reflection 'ran towards me' becuase its a real reflection and I flinched thinking it was another guard

Its those moments where you forget the 'headlines' of RT and let it absorb into the overall feel of the world that'll be good to see in games over time. We need to wait for the pendulum of tech to swing from 'oh look ma, I got ray tracing!' back to something a little more considered.

If you were goign to pick a game with an art style/design least suited to RT, DS would be a pretty good pick. I think Plagiarize or DBT85 summed it up really well earlier (one of the cats anyway)

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
One of these days people will realize all these rendering techniques and features, raytracing, screen space reflections, cube maps, shadow maps, dynamic resolutions, anti aliasing, etc, are all just pieces of a puzzle the developer puzzles together to work towards achieving his design goals and artistic vision. Under development constraints mind you.

None of these pieces are essential, they are chosen and used in conjunction to achieve a vision. Raytracing is just another tool in the developers toolbox. Just because you have a new tool available doesn't mean you have to use it. Tools are just that, they can help you achieve your goals but if there are better ways to get to where you want to go, you leave them in the toolbox.

With how this game looks in its current state, I don't think there is much to criticize here regarding the decisions Blupoint Games made.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen, I feel like this might be the most impressive looking game this holiday*, so whatever Bluepoint is doing clearly works. Perhaps if they started making the game in 2021 they might have chosen a different route for lighting, but here we are, and the game is gorgeous. I don't even understand why this is a thread. We know PS5 can do RT

* I've deliberately avoided looking at Cyberpunk footage, so perhaps that'll take the title?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
One of these days people will realize all these rendering techniques and features, raytracing, screen space reflections, cube maps, shadow maps, dynamic resolutions, anti aliasing, etc, are all just pieces of a puzzle the developer puzzles together to work towards achieving his design goals and artistic vision. Under development constraints mind you.

None of these pieces are essential, they are chosen and used in conjunction to achieve a vision. Raytracing is just another tool in the developers toolbox. Just because you have a new tool available doesn't mean you have to use it. Tools are just that, they can help you achieve your goals but if there are better ways to get to where you want to go, you leave them in the toolbox.

With how this game looks in its current state, I don't think there is much to criticize here regarding the decisions Blupoint Games made.

kirk spock scotty nodding.gif

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
He's not missing much tbh, I played through Control on my 2070 Super and I wasn't overly impressed with the slightly better shadows and reflections. In the end I turned it all off so I could get more fps.

"Slightly better shadows and reflections"? What even is this? RT vs. no RT is a night-and-day difference for reflections, lighting and material depth.

Like, there's a whole DF article dedicated to pointing out these differences, and it is not "slightly better".

www.eurogamer.net

Control PC: a vision for the future of real-time rendering?

Last week, we posed the question: has ray tracing finally found its killer app? While Minecraft RTX and Quake 2 RTX hav…

Saying "it's slightly different" is like saying shaders and texture mapping make games look slightly different than the way games used to render w/o them.

I'd rather take a framerate dip over holding back tech advances in gaming. I'm sure we'd all love to be playing our games looking like HD PS2 titles running at 60/120fps in 2020. We can worry about framerates once the tech is standardized and optimized rather than ignore it b/c "high framerate".

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter going by the trailers, still looks great and 60fps is more important when you're actually playing it.
Not sure it it was ever there though? Did DF ever notice it? Probably just another PR blunder to mention it like the PC version.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Honestly if ray tracing this generation is basically going to be limited to puddles and the odd reflection here and there, don't even bother with it. Wait until consoles are powerful enough to managed 4K60 with full path tracing across the board.

Yeah it'll take 2 generations to hit that but so be it.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Has the conflicting reports on RT in Demon's been addressed? One Interview says there is, another says there isn't, what is the final consensus?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

This is all that needs to be said.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
This made me remember all those "PC will actually hold consoles back" threads which were a good laugh then and even more now.

The game looks great without it so whatever. Perfromance > checkbox RT. I imagine very few if any games would have proper RT on consoles this gen while keeping FPS count stable. Maybe stuff like Fortnite, Minecraft, etc? Regardless, Demon's Souls looking this good without RT and having great sales hopefully will help other devs abandon RT easily if they can't implenent it without serious sacrifices.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking embarrassment this thread

"I don't want a ps2 Hd looking game for 60 fps I want my next gen visuals"

Implying we're not getting both just because some arbitrary technique isn't being used.

dOgqVEN.gif

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
The thing about raytracing is that it would have a major effect on the workload involved. Developers could spend a lot more time getting their vision off the ground if they didn't have to worry about faking everything.
Yep. I do understand that. Ray-Tracing can take away a large part of iterating a scene by being able to place lighting dynamically and seeing the output instantly and it'll calculate reflections and shadows at the same time. Massive time-saver.

I'd like to know if a casted ray takes up more processing power to work out three elements - lighting, shadows and reflections - rather than if it was used to work out just a single of those elements?

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
the fact that this game, whose only real point was being a technical showcase for the console, skipped raytracing in favor of other graphical features, shows that raytracing probably won't be a huge feature of these consoles.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
It would have been interesting to see ray-tracing effects in Demon's Souls to compare what kind of visual enhancements it brings (especially when you can compare with two different modes). However the game looks absolutely stunning and is the only thing so far shown on PS5 and Xbox Series X that looks properly build for a new generation.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
Yep. I do understand that. Ray-Tracing can take away a large part of iterating a scene by being able to place lighting dynamically and seeing the output instantly and it'll calculate reflections and shadows at the same time. Massive time-saver.

I'd like to know if a casted ray takes up more processing power to work out three elements - lighting, shadows and reflections - rather than if it was used to work out just a single of those elements?
A single ray can't work out both reflections and shadows as the direction to send the ray is different. To work out shadows you send a ray toward the light to see if there's something between the light and the fragment (one ray per shadow-casting light). To work out reflections you send a ray in the direction the viewing ray is reflected (based on the surface angle).

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Holy fucking embarrassment this thread

"I don't want a ps2 Hd looking game for 60 fps I want my next gen visuals"

Implying we're not getting both just because some arbitrary technique isn't being used.

dOgqVEN.gif

The example you're using is literally from the build that had RT...

Also, thank you for completely missing the point and not understanding what was said.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
A single ray can't work out both reflections and shadows as the direction to send the ray is different. To work out shadows you send a ray toward the light to see if there's something between the light and the fragment (one ray per shadow-casting light). To work out reflections you send a ray in the direction the viewing ray is reflected (based on the surface angle).
So there are multiple rays casted at any one time to calculate the output. No wonder it's really expensive to use.

Thanks for that.

Regardless, the game looks astonishing. So no RT, who cares?