• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I hope the energy in this thread translates to any other future games that don't use raytracing this gen. It really isn't necessary for a game to look good.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Given that no one really noticed I think that's fine but the miscommunication from Sony is really bad

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
RT would be a good illumination system....RT=/=much more accurate reflections and nothing else. Demon's Souls looks amazing but objectively it would look better with raytracing, as would literally any other 3D game.
Raytracing can be used for much more than just reflections.

I see that my post got misunderstood. I know that RT is about everything, but you can forget a game with full RT GI on PS5 and Series X, this is why I've talked about RT for better SSR and shadows, because it's how RT is going to be utilized on 99% of games.

Honestly? Not worth it, I'll rather get more refined aspects of the game like a full real time illumination system like Demon's Souls do or RDR2, which is still today one of the best, if not THE best, technical achievements in gaming, and it doesn't have an inch of RT.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Miles Morales is where I'll see ray tracing. Demon's Souls already looks incredible, so this isn't an issue for me.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's surprising. I assumed that was the whole point of there being a 30 FPS mode. The upgrade from checkerboarded 4K to native 4K isn't worth halving the framerate at all.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Given that no one really noticed I think that's fine but the miscommunication from Sony is really bad
Honestly the wording in the OP makes me wonder if OP misinterpreted the quote.
I see that my post got misunderstood. I know that RT is about everything, but you can forget a game with full RT GI on PS5 and Series X, this is why I've talked about RT for better SSR and shadows, because it's how RT is going to be utilized on 99% of games.

Honestly? Not worth it, I'll rather get more refined aspects of the game like a full real time illumination system like Demon's Souls do or RDR2, which is still today one of the best, if not THE best, technical achievements in gaming, and it doesn't have an inch of RT.
What's not realtime about a literal realtime implementation of one of the things that make offline renders look way better than video games?

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I honestly couldn't care less. This game is still the best looking next gen game available and I'm sure the devs have built a real treat for us fans.

Bring on launch day!

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a combination of it not really being needed and not enough dev time to implement. Yeah it doesn't matter because it already looks very good.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
If 99% of developers had the option to use raytracing without the massive performance loss there's not a single one that would opt not to do so for the sake of "artistic vision." As RT would only bring that vision to life more than without.
Yeah, no shit lol.

I was talking about resources regarding vision, I didn't mean it artistically nor did I say that, perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.

It's going to on a case by case basis. I personally like a mixture of techniques being used where suitible like I believe Ratchet does to get the best visual quality to performance.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
No problem at all. As long as it's 60fps with the visuals they've already demonstrated, it's gonna look spectacular.

Nov 2, 2017
At this point in time I think consoles games can look better without RT. With a limited budget you're better off using your GPU power on traditional rasterization. RT requires a ton of GPU power that would be taken away from other areas. It's different from PC where you have a base that you can add on with all the extra power you have. I think a lot of games will be using RT though, just like they'll be targetting 4K.

Raytracing can be used for much more than just reflections.
Almost every game on consoles so far seems to be using it for reflections, which is logical as it can be one of the cheapest raytracing effects with some tweaking.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I sure don't hope that a launch game is pushing the hardware to its limit.

It's always a function of what a given team can do, within a given budget of time and money, and with techniques known at the time. Launch games can absolutely stress hardware, but results possible later for the same 'stress' often improve as techniques and experience increase. People figure out what the best bang for buck techniques are, new ones are found, results improve over the cycle. As alluded to here, with more time, 'more' would be possible.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Bummer. I'm still curious as to what improvements the cinematic mode will bring, because the 60 fps mode is pretty barebones when it comes to shadows.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, no shit lol.

I was talking about resources regarding vision, I didn't mean it artistically nor did I say that, perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.

It's going to on a case by case basis. I personally like a mixture of techniques being used where suitible like I believe Ratchet does to get the best visual quality to performance.
Almost every game on consoles so far seems to be using it for reflections
You can blame marketing for that as that's one of the easiest ways to market RT as the next step forward compared to say...the many much more complicated aspects of RT. Like, this:

is much easier to understand for the average consumer than this:
aMcZRvF.png

Personally I blame BFV's marketing as it focused first and foremost on car and puddle reflections compared to Metro or Control's much smaller marketing campaigns that provided a much more informative picture of why and how RT is a huge step forward.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
RT is stupidly expensive, and this is a launch title where there could be very rapid changes in development, it is perfectly understandable if they dropped it and frankly, the game already looks drop dead gorgeous regardless in its 60fps mode.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
We Heard this a while back and it was distressing to see all the people out there pointing out "Ray Traced Reflections" when it was not the case at all. Yes - there is No usage of hardware triangle ray tracing in DEMON Souls remastered.

As a reminder - just because you see a reflection in a puddle in a game, does not mean it is a Ray Traced one. To say you have a Ray Traced reflection, you need a much more complex shape and a far less local reflection. Otherwise it can just be a one off planar reflection, or particularly advantageous SSR, or a perfect Parallax cubemap for a cutscene.
It was probably a recent change, both the PS Blog and DF analysis mentioned RT in some form.
I actually said nothing like that in my Videos on PS5 RT - we just quoted the psblog in an original Video saying evidence of it is Hard to point out iirc. After that we found out it does not use RT at all, so the psblog for some reason was misinformed.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The 60fps is Dynamic 4K.

DF is wrong then?

The game was running in native 1440P, but Bluepoint's AA and motion blur makes everything so crispy that is hard to point this out even through pixel counting.

www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry| Demon's Souls Remake: Gameplay Trailer Tech Breakdown + First Next-Gen Frame-Rate Analysis

The game was running in native 1440P, but Bluepoint's AA and motion blur makes everything so crispy that is hard to point this out even through pixel counting. It was very likely running on Performance mode, Graphics 4K mode expected to look good. No signs of raytraced shadows The game was...

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
DF is wrong then?

www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry| Demon's Souls Remake: Gameplay Trailer Tech Breakdown + First Next-Gen Frame-Rate Analysis

The game was running in native 1440P, but Bluepoint's AA and motion blur makes everything so crispy that is hard to point this out even through pixel counting. It was very likely running on Performance mode, Graphics 4K mode expected to look good. No signs of raytraced shadows The game was...
They can perfectly have been tuning that since the recording of that demo, it's not that weird.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I've never been an advocate of Ray Tracing so this is good news for me.

Well played Bluepoint Games.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Youd think it makes more sense for this game to have it more than spider-man. (Liner game vs open world)
Doesn't make it look any less impressive. Especially as a launch title.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It wouldn't be a proper Souls release without some sort of lighting downgrade controversy, I expect all of you to go nuts once it comes out and you compare it to idk old screenshots or something.

Don't you disappoint me!

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
DF is wrong then?

www.resetera.com

We'll see when DF get to give it their proper analysis I guess, but in the last week all official talk has referred to 60fps mode as "Dynamic 4K"

Jul 25, 2020
I think the 60fps mode will be 1440p with temporal injection just like SotC, this makes the most sense with df's pixel counting.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Aren't there contradicting words from the tech director? It may not have reflections but it apparently supports ray tracing for lighting.

Not that it matters when you look at it. Still the best visuals at launch.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
DF is wrong then?

www.resetera.com

Apparently they changed it very recently according to Lance McDonald

Because if you need to choose between a ray traced effect and 5 settings being tuned up as well as 3 other new graphical features being added (just throwing arbitrary numbers to explain that RT is a lot more expensive than most graphical features), I'd take all the other improvements.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
I miss dynamic shadows from the light source of our character. For example, in the second trailer, at 0:47 (when he walks up to that crank) there are no shadows cast and the lighting looks pretty simple imo.
Mind you, this can be entirely different in the cinematic mode, and can also be (most probably is) an artistic choice, but I find these kind of things a bit disappointing in 2020. Especially considering the hardware.

All that aside the game does look and sound good, I just don't think it's that impressive from a graphical point of view.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This is not an issue because they have shown the game already and it looks great.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Game already looks absolutely mindblowing and a true next gen showcase considering it's a launch game, so that's no problem.

Performance mode anyway

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Because if you need to choose between a ray traced effect and 5 settings being tuned up as well as 3 other new graphical features being added (just throwing arbitrary numbers to explain that RT is a lot more expensive than most graphical features), I'd take all the other improvements.
Now imagine a scenario where it's not a tradeoff. For all intents and purposes RT is the inevitable future of realtime rendering, especially when it comes to games taking noticeable leaps forward. Steps that will make a game like Demon's look dated eventually.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
This is not the "Raytracing" console generation. It will be used sparingly and as a nice bonus here and there, possibly a bit more extensively in simpler, less complex titles. I expect the PS6 and the next Xbox to actually be where/when the rendering will switch to fully adopting it.