• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Splinter Cell Double Agent

Never bought it, but me and my friends would regularly download the demo to play spies vs mercenaries. Always a good fun.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Dead Rising.

I borrowed the final game and I hated the timed part of the game so I never bought it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Surprised how little shareware is listed here. It was easy to get shareware versions, much harder to get full versions since you'd have to send a mail order to the USA or hope for one of the few times when such a game would show up on shelves. I still feel regret over seeing Tyrian on a shelf ONCE and not picking it up then (probably lacked the money even though it was only 50 DM, about 25 US dollars).

Now in recent years it became much more feasible to get the full versions of those games with GOG around and various old re-releases but that's about 20 years later. There were a lot of these games, it's taking me quite some time to remember...

Ones I played in the 90s but didn't get a full version until a decade or two later: Raptor: Call of Shadows, Tyrian, Halloween Harry (AKA Alien Carnage), Duke Nukem 2, Wacky Wheels

Never got a full version of these: Sango Fighter, Tanktics, The Lion King, GODS, Tubular Worlds, OverKill, Zone 66, a Zelda-like game where you played as Thor with a boomeranging hammer, Lost Vikings, Blood & Magic

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heroes of the Might and Magic 2 ... the disk printed by the magazine was the full game... (it was a pacman disk imprint, black and yellow, for a french PC magazine i cannot remember the name, i don't think it was pcteam, must have been another)
So, nope, i didn't buy.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me it has to be The Outfit. One of the few demos I've really played a while with a friend of mine. Was such an enjoyable experience at the time.

Oct 28, 2017
Mercenaries PS2. Could easily tell that whole game must have been good, but I never bought it.

Same with Burnout Takedown
You never bought takedown???

huh.gif

Ouch, that sucks considering the Substance port was pretty meh overall.

At least you got all the extra content

Eh the ps2 substance had much better content that the Xbox version didn't have. Plus there was weird slowdown on the Xbox version.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sitting here trying to remember a demo I played over and over but never bought the full game for. If I loved a demo that much, I usually always ended up buying the full game.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
A PS1 demo disc my brother and I had back in the day was amazing. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Syphon Filter, & Medieval.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For me it would have to be a demo of Klonoa 2 for the PS2, it had two levels that were picked at random.if I remember correctly, and there was one where you surfed down a river, and that level was my jam. Replayed it so many times!!

150761-Klonoa_2_-_Lunatea's_Veil_(USA)-7.jpg

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS1 Demo 1 disc.

It had Die Hard Trilogy, Tekken 2, Formula One, Monster Trucks, Crash Bandicoot, plus a bunch of others, not all playable, but yeah I played the shit out of some of those and never bought them (like Die Hard, Monster Trucks and Crash Bandicoot).

Oct 28, 2017
PS1 Demo 1 disc.

It had Die Hard Trilogy, Tekken 2, Formula One, Monster Trucks, Crash Bandicoot, plus a bunch of others, not all playable, but yeah I played the shit out of some of those and never bought them (like Die Hard, Monster Trucks and Crash Bandicoot).
Oh man you should have bought Die Hard Trilogy it was amazing. But yeah PS1 demo discs is the answer here. So many demos I'd replay over and over again but never actually get the game. I was addicted to Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

In more modern times I'd say WWE All Stars. Absolutely adored that demo and that gameplay. I never bought the game. I'd say I'm part of the problem why it failed, but then it's not like I bought the main series WWE games either.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Destrega, it was part of a demo disc and my and my brother played that demo to death.

Alien vs Predator 2. This is probably one of my favorite demo's, Just Aliens vs Marines and 1 predator. It was fantastic. I got to play the full game once and it was a mess with all sorts of different alien types and such, it wasn't as fun anymore.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man you should have bought Die Hard Trilogy it was amazing. But yeah PS1 demo discs is the answer here. So many demos I'd replay over and over again but never actually get the game. I was addicted to Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.
Yeah I should have, I really liked the demo and IIRC it didn't even have all the 3 different modes (the one I remember the most was the Virtua Cop-style shooter) but back then I was a youngling with very limited budget and choices to make, so some games I knew I liked would eventually slip through my fingers.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I had a demo disc for PS1 that had the first level of Tombi. I loved that level so much but I've still never got around to playing the rest of the game.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Interstate 76
Monstertruck Madnes
Motocross Madness
GTA1 demo (+crack)
MGS2 demo (jap voice, eng. subs!)

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Tomb Raider, Duke Nukem 3D, Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction, Vanquish, Catherine, Twisted Metal

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I remember loving the demo for the super obscure Akuji the Heartless, but due to the circumstances of being a kid with very limited funds, I was never able to purchase the full product.

Thinking back on it though, if there was a demo of a game that I ended up loving, I would make it my mission to obtain that game somehow and end up usually succeeding. There are loads of examples back in the PS1 era of random ass demos for games I had never heard about before completely selling me on the whole product alone. Bust-a-Groove, Jumping Flash!, Silent Hill, Vib Ribbon, Soul Reaver and Rollcage were all day one purchases because of demos. Hell, the demo for Broken Sword introduced me to and made me a die-hard fan of the entire p&c genre.

Man, I miss those days of getting freebie demo discs with a magazine. The Official PlayStation and Dreamcast Magazines were amazing for those things alone.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
Steel Reign PS1
Unholy War PS1

Those are a couple that I can think of right now. Most of the Official Playstation Magazines had some amazing demos on them. Ironically I just found at least 50+ demo discs from the PS1 and PS2 in a desk the other day so I'm looking forward to trying some out.

KelticNight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sentient for the PlayStation.

211110.jpg

Sentient is a first-person adventure developed by Psygnosis and released on the PlayStation in 1997. It was also released for the PC the same year.

There has been a breakout of radiation sickness on Space Station Icarus. The player character has been sent to investigate. After arriving at the station, it becomes apparent that radiation is only one of many problems; the captain is dead and a power struggle has ensued. To make matters worse, Icarus is on a collision course with the Sun and nobody is able to correct the station's course.

Sentient takes place in real-time. The player's actions in the early part of the game determine which path they will travel through later on. Which members of the crew are spoken to and what they are told plays a strong part in the plot's development. The player's performance through the game determines which of the nine endings they receive

[/quote]

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
In the late 90s there was a demo for Macross VFX 2 for PS1 that I played a ton of. I remember calling Microplay (local Canadian game store) almost every few days during the summer about a release date because all that was in magazines at the time was "TBA Summer '99". It ended up getting cancelled in NA so I never got to play it.

Last edited:

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I love demos

Big fan of Vietcong and Fist Alpha, both had MP demos pretty sure

Men of Valor was also a pretty impressive one

Used to play the shit out of the first time they released BF1942 Secret Weapons demo, still remember the map

COD Burnville and Dawnville SP demos were amazing

Demos I mostly did on PC, console ones with CDs not as much as I didn't get magazines and so on

Fileshack was my favourite

Most of these games I have eventually purchased so I can't really remember any demos of games that I liked I didn't end up buying

MGS2 obviously was pretty much the most amazing demo, played that shit more than the ZOE game when I rented it multiple times lol

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even describe how many times I played the Tony Hawk demo as well as Cool Boarders 3.