• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Under absolutely no circumstance, should there be an online check for a game that you have purchased digitally from Microsoft.

It is mindboggingly insane that I was unable to launch Sonic 2-- a friggin' Sega Genesis game-- that I fully paid for, because Microsoft's servers were down and Xbox decides to shit the bed when it couldn't perform an online check.
I agree, assuming that was your home console it should have used the offline licence you got for the game when it installed.

That's a system bug that needs fixing.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Under absolutely no circumstance, should there be an online check for a game that you have purchased digitally from Microsoft.

It is mindboggingly insane that I was unable to launch Sonic 2-- a friggin' Sega Genesis game-- that I fully paid for, because Microsoft's servers were down and Xbox decides to shit the bed when it couldn't perform an online check.
W/o the "home console" concept (where you CAN play the game offline), then you could download that game to 100s of Xbox's and play it all simultaneously.

The DRM stops that.. but allows you to have that ONE console where you do "own the game offline." And also allows game sharing, where 2 copies of the same game can be used at the same time..

This isn't just an MS thing either... Playstation has the exact same setup..

edit: And Nintedo:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
For digital games Sony has the EXACT SAME system except they call it your 'Primary" console instead of your "Home' console.

One thing I appreciate about Sony's is you can have a "Primary" PS4, and a "Primary" PS5 where as Microsoft only allows one "Home" console across multiple generations of Xbox.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
One thing I appreciate about Sony's is you can have a "Primary" PS4, and a "Primary" PS5 where as Microsoft only allows one "Home" console across multiple generations of Xbox.
Yeah I noticed this when I got a PS5 it was automatically my home console, and I checked and saw that I still had one of my PS4s as home.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
For digital games Sony has the EXACT SAME system except they call it your 'Primary" console instead of your "Home' console.

ESbBmRMU8AEFKWE.jpg

I hope people at least realize that.. I know this because I've been.. unable to play my SP games when PSN is down lol

There are a myriad of other weird "license scenarios" that are wonky on PS and unique to it to.

As far as digital games go.. this DRM is what enables game sharing for both Xbox and Playstation.. w/o it there's pretty much zero chance we'd get digital game sharing... I mean really w/o it there's not much of a chance publishers would support digital downloads at all.... as you could just download games to any number of friends machines and have them use your account "offline" to play them until they are done.

I don't really disk game so can't comment on that part, and my understanding is PS is better.. but I really feel like this thread is full of people unaware of the main issue here (digital downloads on non-home/primary console require license check) is the same.
I'm sure people know this. The problem is even if your xbox is set as your account's home console, there seems to be cases where you can be locked out from playing digital content you own when server issues occur. It's happened to me in the past with an xbox one and still seems to happen today, based on that post by MinusTydus before yours. Why it happens and doesn't seem to affect everyone, I do not know.

Not sure about Sony because I've never had such issues before (with a primary console)

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I'm trying to not come across as dismissive of people's concerns - if you read my initial post I stated I have a great deal of sympathy for those who prefer physical media. And I'm not saying physical media is dead just because you can't play it off disc anymore; I'm saying the world has changed, and future consoles will not support physical media because of this. I appreciate your suggestions, and so will respond to them in the hopes of having a conversation.
  • don't tie your backwards compatibility to downloaded wrappers. Use a local emulator to run your back compat. By all means have downloadable configs for the emulator to run the games as well as possible but you should be able to put your disc in and play without an internet connection just like is the case with PS4 games on PS5 or any prior backwards compatible console.
The emulator is required to run games with backwards compatibility, especially on platforms with different CPUs and chipsets than in the past. We can debate semantics on whether updates to the emulator is a patch, or a "downloadable config" but at the end of the day they are both code that need to be updated. And I assure you, there were literally thousands of updates to the Xbox emulation code (which may have been bundled up into tens of updates) over time. Certainly those updates will slow down and stop, and it could be technically possible to put the final emulator on physical media. But for all of the other reasons I've mentioned, we're not going to see that media in the future... so playing backward compatible games in the future will likely need a bundle of emulator+original game bits.

I can put a PS4 disc in my PS5 and play without needing to download anything. Before that I could put my PS2 games in my launch PS3 or my GameCube games in my wii. Before that I could put my ps1 games in my PS2. I could put my gameboy advance, gameboy color and gameboy games in my DS.

None of the above required an online connection to boot.

• put the full game on the disc so you can play without having to download assets or integral files. If you buy a disc you should be able to put it in and play regardless of an active internet connection
What media do you suggest platform developers use in the future to put a full game on? BluRay is too small, and there's no replacement coming from the entertainment industry. Consumers don't want to buy physical movies any more, and have shifted to on-demand and streaming. This means there's no mass market to subsidize the development of such a next-gen new physical media. So then you might say "the console providers can just make one of their own, or extend BluRay, or create some sort of new SSD game cartridge". But without the mass market to help subsidize, it just won't happen. And that's on top of the fact that 70-80% of consumers have specifically said they don't want physical media. So why would anyone go invest in creating this?
Compression exists. Very few games are too large for a double layer bluray with compression. If the day 1 game can't fit in a single disc then print more than one disc. You shouldn't be selling a disc that isn't playable without downloading content or licensing first. That's the point if having a disc.

- no there is 0 legitimate reason to mandate an internet connection to set up your console. Spouting arguments about piracy protection are just an effort to excuse DRM. Other consoles do not have this requirement and have managed just fine.

Unfortunately we are just going to have to agree to disagree with each other here. I'm not a DRM fan myself for what it's worth, but I was exposed to the design and thinking of Xbox's software and hardware protection mechanisms and I can tell you there are very good reasons from a business perspective - not just for Microsoft, but for the game publishers themselves. But it's a bridge too far to share any details here - I'm not out to sabotage Microsoft, and really just hoping to point out that their existing DRM is actually - in my opinion - quite reasonable.

Publishers have reasons for wanting Microsoft to have a setup online activation? Why dues that matter? Publishers are ok with PS5 or switch not needing one but for some reason Microsoft has to? Or is it because Microsoft wants more control over their whole digital license ecosystem. End of the day this brings nothing positive to the person who bought the damn console. It's only a potential source of frustration or confusion.

• once a month check in is a bandaid for bad license management. You want to have a subbscription game service you need to build out a robust categorization system for your licensing that allows for bespoke management instead of forcing blanket license check ins on a system wide level.
I don't understand what you mean here? What exactly do you mean by "bespoke management" - and how is it better than what Microsoft is currently doing?
More granular management of licensing with individual categorization based on method of acquisition be that physical purchase , digital purchase or subscription lease. Different license types should allow for more control over enforcement and necessity (or intervals) of online checkins instead of enforcing a blanket monthly check in for all games.

There are 0 reasons to lock you out of games you own on physical disc. You should be able to insert the game and play whatever version was printed on that disc be it release or goty reprint or whatever. You should not have to connect online to be able to play the game you paid to have on disc. DRM for discs is easy enough: Tie the ability to play the game to the presence of the disc in the drive. End of story.

Sorry, just caught up on some of the longer posts in the thread and only just seen this.

This isn't strictly true, Xbox does offer this. You will be able to play most Series X game discs on a Series X long after Xbox has ended support (assuming you mean no longer issuing licences or the config files for Xbox One games running in BC). The big caveat is that the Xbox needs to have have been activated at some point in the past.

Yes, there will be some Smart Delivery discs that won't work because they contain the Xbox One version, not the Series X. And yes, there will be some games like Flight Sim that simply won't work straight off the disc. But by the end of this generation the vast majority of Series X discs should work fine offline even after support has ended.

What you won't be able to do is take a 'fresh out the box' Series X and a disc and use it purely offline. That's why I highlighted the online console setup as being the one thing that should be changed.
I guess the other side to this is that Microsoft have suggested they are committed to taking your game library forward with you across future generations so your current and past purchases will work in Xbox 8 or whatever it ends up being called. But that's a promised future, and only time will tell if that comes to be.
You say "that's not true" and then go on to lay out numerous scenarios where it is true. If I go buy an Xbox game that has the Xbox series label on it (which let's not even get into the labeling on their boxes cause that is a whole other thing) I can not be sure it will work without connecting online. There is a good chance it will not. Compare this to going and buying a PS5 game. If I go and buy a PS5 game on disc and take it home and try to start it up I can be sure that with the rarest of exceptions I can boot that game up and play it. That is a huge difference.

Now if I decide I want to play an XB1 game on my Series console while I'm on vacation without access to an internet connection? Whelp too bad for me. Say I take a PS5 with me instead and decide to pop a PS4 disc in. Oh hey no problems there at all.

So yea. The picture seems pretty clear to me.

Barzdotas

Sep 11, 2021

And how exactly does Microsoft verify that a digital game is entitled to launch? In a world where consoles (eventually/often) get hacked and modded, and the game is available via torrents on the web? That's one of the problems being solved with an online check.

I get that it's annoying if the server is down. But what is the alternative? Turn a blind eye to piracy? Seriously - open to pragmatic answers or thoughts here.

Barzdotas

Sep 11, 2021

ESbBmRMU8AEFKWE.jpg

I hope people at least realize that.. I know this because I've been.. unable to play my SP games when PSN is down lol

There are a myriad of other weird "license scenarios" that are wonky on PS and unique to it to.

As far as digital games go.. this DRM is what enables game sharing for both Xbox and Playstation.. w/o it there's pretty much zero chance we'd get digital game sharing... I mean really w/o it there's not much of a chance publishers would support digital downloads at all.... as you could just download games to any number of friends machines and have them use your account "offline" to play them until they are done.

I don't really disk game so can't comment on that part, and my understanding is PS is better.. but I really feel like this thread is full of people unaware of the main issue here (digital downloads on non-home/primary console require license check) is the same.
Pretty close! I'd uplevel your main issue to "is this person entitled to play this game on this hardware" - everything falls out of that.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
I applaud the effort but that this is even a topic, has so many scenarios, and so much verification requirements speaks volumes to the problem
I see these perspectives - but what would the alternative be to also have the advantages that this strategy gives users (and MS)?

To me this is just really the direction things are going in many areas around how we use/interact with software (for better or worse).

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Can I set up an Xbox without needing an internet connection?
No, and if there's anything that needs to change it's this. An internet connection is required for the first time setup of the console, you can then use it offline.
this has always been annoying as fuck for me, since my apartments internet needs the MAC address of a device before it can go online

and the MAC address isnt on the box or console, its in the settings menu

and i cant get to the settings menu until i set up my console

and i cant set up my console until i connect to the internet

and i cant connect to the internet UNTIL I GET THE MAC ADDRESS 😡

i had to drive my xbox to my work office to set it up the last two times i bought xbox's :/

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
this has always been annoying as fuck for me, since my apartments internet needs the MAC address of a device before it can go online

i had to drive my xbox to my work office to set it up the last two times i bought xbox's :/
Flashbacks to taking my Xbox to hotels which grant access via mac addresses.

Really really stupid you can't access advanced setwork settings during setup.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The issue isn't that they don't have discs. They do. The issue is that the games (including single player offline games) stopped working due to a DRM issue on Microsoft'
This is not how the DRM was suppose to work at all. It was a bug and bugs could've also happened to Sony, Nintendo, Steam or anyone else. So I don't know why this bug keeps getting brought up, when discussing DRM on those platforms.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Op. People are going to focus more on the fact that you have a large opening post and call out Microsoft for it. 🤷

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
You keep saying physical media is dead because you can't play off disc anymore. Literally nobody is asking to play off disc. What we do want is the ability to insert a disc offline have it install and boot a playable game without need to download content or licenses to work. The other major platforms offer this. Xbox does not
Xbox actually does offer this for non smart delivery Series X games.
put the full game on the disc so you can play without having to download assets or integral files. If you buy a disc you should be able to put it in and play regardless of an active internet connection
Smart Delivery Discs have to be readable by Xbox One base model. The console only reads 50GB BR iirc and thus there is a space limit. For all the advantages Smart Delivery has, that is a downside of the whole method.
don't tie your backwards compatibility to downloaded wrappers
Have fun making Jaguar CPU of Xbox one recompile 360 games at runtime.

Some of the suggested were nice and people having suggestions is obviously fine. And yes there are things Xbox should do better with. For example Xbox One configuration files imo. But as these two examples above show, people got no idea what technical hurdles there are.
The funny part is the very program people point to in order show how Xbox is a stable consumer friendly long term platform (back compat) is one of the prime examples of why it actually isn't (requirement of internet connectivity to function and reliance on individual game wrappers).
What? Their method is literally the reason 360 games can be played on Xbox One, because Xbox One unlike some of the examples you mentioned doesn't have the full 360 hardware in it. Wii U for example had essentially a Wii in HW in it. Then there is the hurdle of going from PowerPC to x86, which means recompiling is necessary. There was literally no other way on a jaguar CPU and that suddenly is anti consumer? Ok...

Last edited:

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I've been with out internet in my house the past couple of weeks and I can confirm my downloaded games that do not need to connect to a server work fine. I cannot earn achievements or access cloud saves of course but any games that I have installed work because it is marked as my home Xbox.

The only downloaded game that has acted weird is with XCom 2. That game will not save correctly and I've lost save files from it. Auto and manual saves encounter this issue. This is literally the only game I've played recently that did this.

The majority of my library is digital but I do have an NHL game disc that was installed when I had internet. I can still put in the disc and I've been playing it every night for over a week.

My wife wanted to play her Dragon Age Inquision game but her home console was still listed as our older Xbox One and not our Xbox One X. We tethered her phone to the Xbox, selected to make the console the home Xbox and there hasn't been an issue since. This was done this past Saturday morning. Before she did this when I would sign on it would show the game as just a trial for me. Now it is showing as being the whole game.

Another thing to add is parental controls. My children both have limitations set for their Xbox accounts that limit how long they can play games. If my wife and I are not signed in it will immediately tell my children they need to be online to sign in. If either one of us is signed in while they try to sign in it will recognize the previous rules set up. For example for my oldest son he can only play 3 hrs total on Saturday. Once that time ran close or completed it still gave the option to add more time for him as it normally does while connected to the internet.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. I'm glad this issue is getting more attention lately.
What media do you suggest platform developers use in the future to put a full game on? BluRay is too small, and there's no replacement coming from the entertainment industry. Consumers don't want to buy physical movies any more, and have shifted to on-demand and streaming. This means there's no mass market to subsidize the development of such a next-gen new physical media. So then you might say "the console providers can just make one of their own, or extend BluRay, or create some sort of new SSD game cartridge". But without the mass market to help subsidize, it just won't happen. And that's on top of the fact that 70-80% of consumers have specifically said they don't want physical media. So why would anyone go invest in creating this?
4k Bluray has been out for years, which is double the capacity of standard blurays. If multiple discs is such a financial burden, why not charge an extra dollar or however much it costs specifically for games that utilize them? and 20-30% of consumers wanting to buy physical media seems like a lot! that's 100 million people just in the US!

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But by the end of this generation the vast majority of Series X discs should work fine offline even after support has ended.
That's a big assumption given what we've seen so far; it's probably best sticking to facts and knowns for this thread.
My brother in law is still living in the 7th gen. I've got 2 ps4s and a ps4 pro sat here doing nothing since we've got ps5s now. This post made me realise that I should give him the pro and let him loose on my library of 100s of digital games - I'll make sure he thanks you.

But that's all just a part of the incredible f~l~e~x~i~b~i~l~i~t~y. Seriously though, there should be a way past that other than having the joy of getting going with your new machine turned into even more of a chore or pain than it inevitibly turns out to be anyway. Is your situation all that common? Never seen it mentioned before. That would have been extra fun during lockdowns when people weren't going into work and were not allowed to go inside others homes.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's a big assumption given what we've seen so far; it's probably best sticking to facts and knowns for this thread.
A Xbox developer on era confirmed native Series X discs can be installed offline. Considering by the end of the generation cross gen games will be in the minority the statement by gothi is true.

Post in thread 'So the Xbox Series X has one time DRM for disc based games? Even single player? [Answered at Threadmark]' https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...r-answered-at-threadmark.395149/post-60932641

Last edited:
OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
You say "that's not true" and then go on to lay out numerous scenarios where it is true. If I go buy an Xbox game that has the Xbox series label on it (which let's not even get into the labeling on their boxes cause that is a whole other thing) I can not be sure it will work without connecting online. There is a good chance it will not. Compare this to going and buying a PS5 game. If I go and buy a PS5 game on disc and take it home and try to start it up I can be sure that with the rarest of exceptions I can boot that game up and play it. That is a huge difference.

Now if I decide I want to play an XB1 game on my Series console while I'm on vacation without access to an internet connection? Whelp too bad for me. Say I take a PS5 with me instead and decide to pop a PS4 disc in. Oh hey no problems there at all.

So yea. The picture seems pretty clear to me.
Morning RexNovis, I appreciate that was very late (at least for me) when I was posting but to be clear I didn't say "that's not true" I said "that's not strictly true". The former implies a very binary state, the latter that it's more fluid, hence explaining the scenarios where your statement is true.

And I guess that's part of the frustration for people who buy discs. In your recent example you could happily play that XB1 game on your Series X whilst on vacation, but only if you'd installed it previously with an internet connection. But that's steps you had to take before the vacation (or needing to connect online whilst away from home).

This is why I'm a proponent of providing those config files for offline install, this isn't necessarily a DRM check so why not lean into it and allow those XB1discs to be used offline with no exceptions.

It is a big assumption, but Series X only discs exist today and I cannot see a situation where publishers are going to continue making Smart Delivery discs with Xbox One code on them when Series X becomes the majority disc based Xbox platform. That said, I think you're right and sticking to the facts/knowns is the right thing to do.

But that's all just a part of the incredible f~l~e~x~i~b~i~l~i~t~y
C'mon. That's me explaining why it became a wall of text, there's no need to start using as an insult.

The system allows you to install games you don't own (and I don't mean Game Pass, I mean you can install any game from the store without needing to purchase it first)! It allows you to then use a disc with that install without requiring any other download. It allows you to run games from 20 years ago. There's a lot of scenarios to cover that don't exist on the other platforms.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The system allows you to install games you don't own (and I don't mean Game Pass, I mean you can install any game from the store without needing to purchase it first)! It allows you to then use a disc with that install without requiring any other download. It allows you to run games from 20 years ago. There's a lot of scenarios to cover that don't exist on the other platforms.
Absolutely and that makes the situation more complicated. I like the thread.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I feel like i wanna puke Every time i see these online problems and how they are affecting you playing games you own, especially SINGLE PLAYER GAMES YOU OWN AND HAVE INSTALLED.
Sorry, but Always Online DRM for Offline games no matter what you call it and why you do it should called out but all and protested.
Don't know if i am writing in the correct thread or not, but i am still angry with MK11 and GT7 :( , yes you can play them, but your progress is not saved.

OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Sorry Op. People are going to focus more on the fact that you have a large opening post and call out Microsoft for it. 🤷
That's understandable. I've added a header trying to address that and reformatted the post so it's a bit less daunting, hopefully that'll help somewhat.

Barzdotas

Sep 11, 2021
Great thread. I'm glad this issue is getting more attention lately.

4k Bluray has been out for years, which is double the capacity of standard blurays. If multiple discs is such a financial burden, why not charge an extra dollar or however much it costs specifically for games that utilize them? and 20-30% of consumers wanting to buy physical media seems like a lot! that's 100 million people just in the US!
It's not quite that easy - the cost of duplicating a game disc (even if based on Bluray) is significantly more expensive due to additional work done for copy protection, certification, etc. And the game publisher traditionally pays their royalty to the console publisher on a per disc basis, which pushes the price up even more. All I can say is that publishers loved the shift to digital for multiple reasons, including getting back some of their margin. You might look for a chart OnLive did a few years ago that outlined the costs a game publisher has to deal with when game publishing - it's the closest to "public" information I can think of that might help give more visibility into this space.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox actually does offer this for non smart delivery Series X games.
No if you don't have your console set to offline the Xbox connects and downloads content from online before allowing you to play. There's a reason "install" times are way longer on Xbox it's because it's connecting online and downloading content before allowing you to play. If the game actually has the full release on disc and you have set your console to offline mode then yes it will work like a PS4. Problem here being that Xbox games do not have the full content on disc a LOT of the time. This according to people who test physical discs for playability

Smart Delivery Discs have to be readable by Xbox One base model. The console only reads 50GB BR iirc and thus there is a space limit. For all the advantages Smart Delivery has, that is a downside of the whole method.

Therein lies the issue. Smart delivery was just a way to allow for printing only XB1 discs and not have to print a seperate SKU line of XBS discs. It was a cost saving measure on MS' that eliminated one of the primary reasons to own a physical copy of a game rendering said game unplayable without downloading content first.

This doesn't just extend to Smart Delivery discs though. Try putting Halo Infinite in a series console without an internet connection.There are plenty of other games like it that are printed as partial installs on disc fir Xbox series consoles.

Have fun making Jaguar CPU of Xbox one recompile 360 games at runtime.

What? Their method is literally the reason 360 games can be played on Xbox One, because Xbox One unlike some of the examples you mentioned doesn't have the full 360 hardware in it. Wii U for example had essentially a Wii in HW in it. Then there is the hurdle of going from PowerPC to x86, which means recompiling is necessary. There was literally no other way on a jaguar CPU and that suddenly is anti consumer? Ok...

Rather than have individual wrappers you could have an emulator with installable configs that could be manually updated over time to allow games to be played directly off disc. If installs need to be compiled to run then there's no reason you couldn't allow a compiler with confide ti be hosted locally on the system. Yea it might take a lot longer to install but it would work off disc with no potential expiration date down the road. As it is now, their backwards compatibility is tied to ability to connect to their servers which, from a long term preservation POV, is horrible.

Some of the suggested were nice and people having suggestions is obviously fine. And yes there are things Xbox should do better with. For example Xbox One configuration files imo. But as these two examples above show, people got no idea what technical hurdles there are.

You have no idea what I do or what my level of understanding is. What we can tell from some of the responses in this thread like your own is that there will always be people who wanna come in and downplay the issues people have with the way Xbox handles their licensing, backwards compatibility and physical games. Instead of acknowledging that hey they can do a better job (especially since their competition already does) instead y'all wanna point fingers at the people taking issue and tell them they just don't get it.

We do get it. We are the ones that are frustrated by having to deal with it. You and the platform you enjoy would be better suited by listening to the issues we have with it than dismissing them.

Morning RexNovis, I appreciate that was very late (at least for me) when I was posting but to be clear I didn't say "that's not true" I said "that's not strictly true". The former implies a very binary state, the latter that it's more fluid, hence explaining the scenarios where your statement is true.
Saying something isn't strictly true is just euphemism for saying it's false. Either I can put my games in an offline XSX and play them or I can't. The fact some work and some don't means that you cannot always be guaranteed that you are able to play the game you bought straight from disc. That is a major problem for folks whose main appeal for buying physical media is the ability to play their games off the discs they purchased years down the road if they want to.

And I guess that's part of the frustration for people who buy discs. In your recent example you could happily play that XB1 game on your Series X whilst on vacation, but only if you'd installed it previously with an internet connection. But that's steps you had to take before the vacation (or needing to connect online whilst away from home).

This is why I'm a proponent of providing those config files for offline install, this isn't necessarily a DRM check so why not lean into it and allow those XB1discs to be used offline with no exceptions.
Preinstalling something before taking a vacation might seem like a minor inconvenience but let's think longer term. Let's say after the XBS consoles are no longer supported and cannot connect to XBL anymore that I want to break mine out and play one of my games.

Well if the system was reset or needed a fresh os install I'd be SOL because I have to connect to Microsoft in order to even set the damn thing up.

If the game I grabbed was a 360 game or an XB1 game that would need to connect to their servers to download the wrapper to run them so whelp can't play those games.

If the game I grabbed was a "smart delivery" game it would have to download the actual XSX game content to run so I can't play that either.

then there's the XSX games that require online connection to run or install because either the disc has an incomplete version of the game on it (hi Halo Infinite) or it runs as an always online game that requires connection to whatever publishers back end to work.

So yea to someone who cares about being able to play the games they physically own in perpetuity Xbox is an absolute nightmare.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Problem here being that Xbox games do not have the full content on disc a LOT of the time. This according to people who test physical discs for playability
Dont tell me you refer to doesitplay on Twitter who tested less than 20 Xbox games according to their own website. What can I say? They and you are wrong, because a Xbox developer actually confirmed native Series X games can be installed offline. Smart delivery disc's are different, but I wasn't talking about those in the sentence you choose to quote.

Post in thread 'So the Xbox Series X has one time DRM for disc based games? Even single player? [Answered at Threadmark]' https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...r-answered-at-threadmark.395149/post-60932641

We do get it. We are the ones that are frustrated by having to deal with it. You and the platform you enjoy would be better suited by listening to the issues we have with it than dismissing them.
I am not dismissing concerns. I am correcting false information. Native Series disc can be installed offline. that's a fact. It's also well-documented by engineers that 360 BC wouldn't have happened without games being recompiled. Which means 360 games need to be downloaded. Xbox One jaguar cores are abysmal and can't recompile at runtime while delivering great BC performance. So the question isn't what you or I would like under perfect circumstances, which would be no downloads needed at all and rather what's technically possible. Thus the decision is only about no 360 BC or 360 BC with downloads.

I noticed you don't know what the issues are for 360 BC, because you compared it to BC for consoles like PS4 on PS5 (both x86) and GC on Wii. 360 to Xbox One was PowerPC to x86. The technical differences and difficulties just can't be compared between the BC examples.

Last edited:

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Dont tell me you refer to doesitplay on Twitter who tested less than 20 Xbox games according to their own website. What can I say? They and you are wrong, because a Xbox developer actually confirmed native Series X games can be installed offline. Smart delivery disc's are different, but I wasn't talking about those in the sentence you choose to quote.

So Halo Infinite is not an XSX game then? Forza Horizon 5 isn't an XSX game then? Microsoft Flight Simulator can't run on XB1 so it has to be an XSX game except nope you can't play that offline on disc.

Being able to install a game offline is not the same as being able to play a game offline from disc.

XSX discs can be installed offline but if the XSX disc doesn't have a full bootable and playable version of that game in the disc then it doesn't matter if it can install the disc offline. You dismiss doesitplay because you say they only tested 20 games. Did you even bother to see what games they tested. There are games that should work when installing them off disc according to you that actually don't because the complete game isn't on disc or it requires an online connection to actually start the game once it boots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Saying something isn't strictly true is just euphemism for saying it's false. Either I can put my games in an offline XSX and play them or I can't. The fact some work and some don't means that you cannot always be guaranteed that you are able to play the game you bought straight from disc. That is a major problem for folks whose main appeal for buying physical media is the ability to play their games off the discs they purchased years down the road if they want to.
To be fair you said
What we do want is the ability to insert a disc offline have it install and boot a playable game without need to download content or licenses to work. The other major platforms offer this. Xbox does not.
Which is not true, you can insert a disc offline and boot a playable game without needing to download content or licences to work on Xbox (especially on the One, but even so with Series X). The issue being that right now it's easy to pick up a disc where that's not the case on Series X.
I'm not arguing that you're wrong, I'm simply pointing out that blanket statements like "Xbox can't do this" when it can and does are part of the problem we have with people not understanding how it all works.

Preinstalling something before taking a vacation might seem like a minor inconvenience but let's think longer term. Let's say after the XBS consoles are no longer supported and cannot connect to XBL anymore that I want to break mine out and play one of my games.

Well if the system was reset or needed a fresh os install I'd be SOL because I have to connect to Microsoft in order to even set the damn thing up.

If the game I grabbed was a 360 game or an XB1 game that would need to connect to their servers to download the wrapper to run them so whelp can't play those games.

If the game I grabbed was a "smart delivery" game it would have to download the actual XSX game content to run so I can't play that either.

then there's the XSX games that require online connection to run or install because either the disc has an incomplete version of the game on it (hi Halo Infinite) or it runs as an always online game that requires connection to whatever publishers back end to work.

So yea to someone who cares about being able to play the games they physically own in perpetuity Xbox is an absolute nightmare.
I mean I cover a lot of this in the OP. I'm in total agreement, the console should be able to be set up offline. I also think the config files for Xbox One discs played in BC mode on Series X should be available for offline install.
If you grabbed a Smart delivery disc well after the Series X's life time I'm pretty confident that there's just as much chance (if not more so) that it would contain Series X code and be be installable offline. I know that's not the case right now but we have to keep in mind that it's a matter of when, not if that happens.

Disc based games requiring a download to work is a multi-platform problem (looking at you Call of Duty!). Definitely more prevalent for Series X right now with some high profile titles published by Microsoft themselves.
I think there's definitely feedback that needs to be heard (ironically Sony & MLB needs to be part of the group that listens seeing as MLB 2021 requires a download on Xbox according to Does it Play) and in my opinion making sure the message is on-point will be key to being taken seriously.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So Halo Infinite is not an XSX game then? Forza Horizon 5 isn't an XSX game then? Microsoft Flight Simulator can't run on XB1 so it has to be an XSX game except nope you can't play that offline on disc.
Halo and Forza are smart delivery games. Flight Simulator is a good shout. But that doesn't make your blanket statement true that Xbox doesn't offer offline installs.
I'm not arguing that you're wrong, I'm simply pointing out that blanket statements like "Xbox can't do this" when it can and does are part of the problem we have with people not understanding how it all works.
Thanks.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The publisher of the game can choose what to include on the discs. This might be the Xbox One version of the game or the Series X version of the game.

They can have both if the publisher chooses/is able to. A recent example is Demon Turf—you can install that game and play offline on both an Xbox One and Series X (I tested it myself).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They can have both if the publisher allows it. A recent example is Demon Turf—you can install that game and play offline on both an Xbox One and Series X (I tested it myself).
If there is enough space on a 50GB BR, then nothing is stopping publishers. One S and One X already read 100GB BR, but unfortunately the base Xbox One only reads 50GB. The issue of Smart delivery games having to download would be much lessened, if they could use 100GB BR imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
They can have both if the publisher allows it. A recent example is Demon Turf—you can install that game and play offline on both an Xbox One and Series X (I tested it myself).
Thanks for jumping in! Is it possible you can tell me a bit more how this disc works? Does it have different executables for both systems or is it a gen9 aware title that runs with Series enhancements when installed on that platform?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for jumping in! Is it possible you can tell me a bit more how this disc works? Does it have different executables for both systems or is it a gen9 aware title that runs with Series enhancements when installed on that platform?

Has a native Series X build that is installed when running on a Series X and a native Xbox One build that installs on an Xbox One. Essentially behaves as a native disc on both platforms—smart delivery but offline from a disc (they both share achievement data, saves, etc).

Last edited:
OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Has a native Series X build that is installed when running on a Series X and a native Xbox One build that installs on an Xbox One. Essentially behaves as a native disc on both platforms. Basically smart delivery but offline from a disc—they both share achievement data, saves, etc.
Brilliant, thank you. Can I be pedantic and confirm one last thing about the install process; I am understanding you correctly that on both Xbox One and Series X you can install from that one disc and successfully launch the game without ever being online during the entire process?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant, thank you. Can I be pedantic and confirm one last thing about the install process; I am understanding you correctly that on both Xbox One and Series X you can install from that one disc and successfully launch the game without ever being online during the entire process?

Correct.

(Xbox One pic, didn't take one when testing on Series X)
FJbLZRkXoAALoks

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

ESbBmRMU8AEFKWE.jpg

Nice that on PS you can have a separate PS5 and PS4 set to primary, theoretically sharing a crossgen or PS4 game to three systems.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
This has been a major pain in the ass for me and one of the main reasons why I sold my Series X. I was not able to play Game Pass- nor purchased, digital games offline despite having set my console to "home console"; it needed to be online for that every time. Just annoying.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This has been a major pain in the ass for me and one of the main reasons why I sold my Series X. I was not able to play Game Pass games offline despite having set my console to "home console", had to be online for that every time.
I tested this days ago. Worked for me. Perhaps you were a victim (for the lack of a better word) of the bug or something else was the problem. Normally it should've worked.

OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Correct.

(Xbox One pic, didn't take one when testing on Series X)
FJbLZRkXoAALoks
Top notch, thank you! I'll review the original post later and see which areas might need a correction.

This has been a major pain in the ass for me and one of the main reasons why I sold my Series X. I was not able to play Game Pass games offline despite having set my console to "home console", had to be online for that every time.
How long ago was this and did you install the games before or after you set the console to home? I tested this myself the other day and I was able to successfully play Game Pass titles offline. If you can recall which titles didn't work for you I'm happy to go back and test them again.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Top notch, thank you! I'll review the original post later and see which areas might need a correction.

No problem, from my anecdotal testing more games are doing this (when size allows) compared to ~6 months ago. Mostly just the handful of AAA releases now that require the internet to get the Series X build.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
And how exactly does Microsoft verify that a digital game is entitled to launch? In a world where consoles (eventually/often) get hacked and modded, and the game is available via torrents on the web? That's one of the problems being solved with an online check.

I get that it's annoying if the server is down. But what is the alternative? Turn a blind eye to piracy? Seriously - open to pragmatic answers or thoughts here.
On PS, if your system is primary there will not be an online check in for digital games. Since swapping primary systems requires an internet connection, there really is not a need to constantly check the legitimacy of the license. There is a deactivate all systems option in their accounts websute, but that can only be used once every 6-12 months to prevent gaming the system.

OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
No problem, from my anecdotal testing more games are doing this (when size allows) compared to ~6 months ago. Mostly just the handful of AAA releases now that require the internet to get the Series X build.
Could you confirm what the front of your box looks like? Just looked for a copy I could pick up in the UK and they all say smart delivery on them (top right) but only list Series X in the black bar. Weirdly I did see a copy on eBay that had Xbox One and Series X listed in that area.

So I'm not sure if this is just online shops using promo images (entirely possible because it's the same images everywhere I looked) or there's differences in the discs available in different markets.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
How long ago was this and did you install the games before or after you set the console to home? I tested this myself the other day and I was able to successfully play Game Pass titles offline. If you can recall which titles didn't work for you I'm happy to go back and test them again.
I appreciate your response, but I´m done with Microsoft`s service and Xbox for now. This was three, four months ago and by far not the only issue with the console/network/service: It wouldn`t download the Dying Light 2 Series X-upgrade after I had installed the disc, so I was stuck with the Xbox One-version (had to manually download the upgrade by triggering it through the smart phone app), I had to redownload Gears 5 twice because it somehow ended up as a stuttering mass and stuff like that. Made my Series X experience pretty unpleasant which is a shame because I had no issues with my One X.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Could you confirm what the front of your box looks like? Just looked for a copy I could pick up in the UK and they all say smart delivery on them (top right) but only list Series X in the black bar. Weirdly I did see a copy on eBay that had Xbox One and Series X listed in that area.

So I'm not sure if this is online shops using promo images (entirely possible because it's the same images everywhere I looked) or there's differences in the discs available in different markets.

That was just the promo image for retail being incorrect. The actual game has both consoles listed.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Nice that on PS you can have a separate PS5 and PS4 set to primary, theoretically sharing a crossgen or PS4 game to three systems.

Wouldn't that be four systems? Two PS4s, two PS5s?

On PS, if your system is primary there will not be an online check in for digital games. Since swapping primary systems requires an internet connection, there really is not a need to constantly check the legitimacy of the license. There is a deactivate all systems option in their accounts websute, but that can only be used once every 6-12 months to prevent gaming the system.

Wouldn't there need to be a check when moving games stored on an external drive from one system to another?

OP
OP
gothi

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
That was just the promo image for retail being incorrect. The actual game has both consoles listed.
Thanks! I've updated the Smart Delivery section of the post. I've flagged up the two generations being supported by one disc as pending validation and I'll be doing that myself over the weekend.
There's no offence meant so I hope none is taken, I just think it's important that everything is validated by multiple parties, including my own work 👍🏻

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Wouldn't that be four systems? Two PS4s, two PS5s?

Wouldn't there need to be a check when moving games stored on an external drive from one system to another?
Well three separate users can play a crossplay or PS4 game, because one of those PS5s and PS4s will not be primary so you would need the original account.

Yes, but that would be part of moving primary or you would have to be online for a non-primary system anyway.