• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Well deserved! He's easily one of my favourite directors at this point, with Blade Runner 2049 being a top 10 film for me. Hell, Prisoners wouldn't be far behind. The only movie of his I haven't seen yet is Polytechnique (it's hard to be keen to watch something with that premise), but I've loved all of the others.

Blade Runner 2049 > Prisoners > Arrival > Incendies > Sicario > Enemy

(and Enemy is still really good!)

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure I'd call a movie starring Jared Leto to be "totally satisfying" to all fans of Blade Runner.

Also I think there are multiple parts of the movie that make it lesser than the original.

"Starring" is a stretch, Leto only has a few minutes of screentime and his scenes are a drop in the bucket for such a long movie. His character was miscast but it doesn't come close to marring the film's overall quality.

There were aspects of the original that I missed, especially the heavier film noir influence, but the story overall was stronger and better told. Although the original is one of my favorite movies, I can't deny that it has more notable imperfections than 2049.

In any case, both are absolute classics.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'd probably take Denis as well but Martin Scorsese made a strong case:

Shutter Island
Hugo
The Wolf of Wall Street
Silence
The Irishman

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
"Starring" is a stretch, Leto only has a few minutes of screentime and his scenes are a drop in the bucket for such a long movie. His character was miscast but it doesn't come close to marring the film's overall quality.

There were aspects of the original that I missed, especially the heavier film noir influence, but the story overall was stronger and better told. Although the original is one of my favorite movies, I can't deny that it has more notable imperfections than 2049.

In any case, both are absolute classics.

I'm sorry. I just can't agree here, especially at the first part. Leto has done far too much for me to tolerate any amount of him.

I'd probably take Denis as well but Martin Scorsese made a strong case:

Shutter Island
Hugo
The Wolf of Wall Street
Silence
The Irishman

Shutter Island is a ghoulish farce that relies on outdated and offensive portrayals of the mentally ill. I've been unfair to mister Scorsese in the past but on that movie I cannot budge.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from being repellently obnoxious he's been credibly accused of sexual assault.

I wasn't aware of the credible accusations. I knew he was a huge fucking creep and that there were rumors/talks of predatory behavior, but everytime I saw something pop up it never went anywhere so I wasn't too sure what to make of it.

And I agree. I can't stand him, I think he's a massive asshole and creep. That's why it actually upsets me that I think he's a good actor and he's in quite a few movies I really like.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
I agree with this. He has done amazing films and is one of the last big budget visionaries in Hollywood.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I like all his movies, but I'm trying to think if could identify something about his style that makes him unique. I guess he likes slow flying shots with ominous music...?

He sort of reminds me of a less stylistic Fincher maybe? I don't know.

All good movies, so, good job.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I do have some issues with parts of the scripts he's working with but even then, they're fairly unique and better than the rest and his craft is undeniable. HIs Blade Runner is one of the best movies I've seen and I've hated the first one. Deserved choice far as I can tell, need to finally watch Enemy.
And Dune looks amazing ;)
Do we actually have some footage or is that what the smiley is for ?

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I respect that choice, not sure I agree with it but I can't think of another director who has been so consistantly great this decade.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Blade Runner 2049 is top 5 of the decade for me, and his movies tell fantastic stories no matter the setting.

Oct 27, 2017
Pound for pound it's hard to beat the run of Prisoners to Enemy to Sicario to Arrival and finally Blade Runner 2049. They're all pretty different but carry his stamp. Still need to see Incendies.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
In complete agreement. Even if I don't gush about Enemy, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 were some of my favorite movies of the last few years. And Sicario was tense as fuck. Well deserved.

I know it's awful, I haven't seen Prisoners! I have to fix that soon.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In complete agreement. Even if I don't gush about Enemy, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 were some of my favorite movies of the last few years. And Sicario was tense as fuck. Well deserved.

I know it's awful, I haven't seen Prisoners! I have to fix that soon.
If you thought Sicario was tense... you are in for a treat with Prisoners lol.