• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Wait Denuvo needs to be online forever ? I played Assassins Creed Origins offline for like 2 weeks so I wouldn't have to get the bad patch. I don't think I should have been able to play then, unless it checks in the background before I even try to play the game or something

But yeah Denuvo is trash. They should atleast remove it from games after a while

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Wait Denuvo needs to be online forever ? I played Assassins Creed Origins offline for like 2 weeks so I wouldn't have to get the bad patch. I don't think I should have been able to play then, unless it checks in the background before I even try to play the game or something.

It checks in online whenever you change hardware or update drivers, or at least once every few weeks.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Wait Denuvo needs to be online forever ? I played Assassins Creed Origins offline for like 2 weeks so I wouldn't have to get the bad patch. I don't think I should have been able to play then, unless it checks in the background before I even try to play the game or something

But yeah Denuvo is trash. They should atleast remove it from games after a while

The ability to keep playing offline for long periods have to be the only positive thing with Denuvo.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The point is if you pirate the game you don't have to deal with any of this bullshit.

That's absurd. If you pay good money you shouldn't have to deal with crap.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried Arkham Knight, launched it from Steam. it took around 50 seconds for it to launch but it launched anyway and made it ingame.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The ability to keep playing offline for long periods have to be the only positive thing with Denuvo.
While it's better than always-online single player games, it does still need periodic reactivation.
Don't know the current status of those games, but Bethesda have patched out Denuvo in the past, no? So it's probably just a matter of time until it happens with the recent Arkane games.
It looks more like someone at id Software really pushed for its removal from DOOM, as none of the other Bethesda-published games have removed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denuvo#List_of_games_formerly_using_Denuvo

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DRM for games like these is why I am buying most singleplayer games on console now and not on PC.
You know, i always disagree with this statement.

But now i think you are right, every game that uses Denuvo and is multiplat, i buy on my Pro now, too much of a trouble to even mod the game.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I tried because of this thread and I was able to get into Arkham Knight. It took a little while, though.

Still think this kind of DRM is bullshit, regardless.

Oct 28, 2017
People called me a doomsday conspiracy theorist for even suggesting the servers would go down on the Steam Forums. Not at all surprised.

This is why I refuse to buy Denuvo products. I'm not going to pay for the privilege of being held to higher standards than the pirates do (after the inevitable bypass a day/a week/a month after release). On top of the downloads taking significantly more bandwidth when the pirate repacks can be a third or even fourth of the size with lossless quality. Frankly I'm sick of getting inferior service and paying for it.

The publishers can't be trusted to remove it and leaving it up to their discretion is a terrible idea. We're basically praying that Konami will remove it in good faith when those authentication servers go down. Keep in mind that this service is created by the people behind SecuROM, which lasted only five years until it was abandoned (despite being the DRM mechanism used in some of the most popular AAA titles from 2006-2011).

Even Bethesda which most people would consider "reliable" didn't bother to remove it from Prey, Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider and I'm not surprised given how Fallout 3 on Steam still includes GFWL.... With a guide on how to remove it pinned to the top of the discussion forums, something that I would be banned for if I posted myself.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know the current status of those games, but Bethesda have patched out Denuvo in the past, no? So it's probably just a matter of time until it happens with the recent Arkane games.
Yeah, they removed Denuvo from DOOM a few months after its release. But Dishonored 2 released more than 1 year ago, so sadly I don't think it'll happen again.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, they removed Denuvo from DOOM a few months after its release. But Dishonored 2 released more than 1 year ago, so sadly I don't think it'll happen again.
I was hoping it'd be company policy going forward because I'd really like to buy those games... But I'm not going to until I'm not at the mercy of a company that abandoned their last DRM mechanism after only five years, leaving paying customers at the mercy of publishers and studios (some of which didn't even exist anymore) or expected paying customers to crack the games they legitimately owned. I'm supposed to be okay with these people basically holding the keys to AAA gaming on PC?

Fuck publishers for putting customers in this position.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
I despise Denuvo and its ilk. These kinds of DRM measures are utterly anti consumer. My personal rule is to never ever buy a Denuvo game unless it's _hugely_ reduced in price and already cracked. So far I've held up to that principle. I suspect I'm not the only one doing that. I highly doubt putting Denuvo on a game boosts early sales in any way—I suspect it's the polar opposite. But I guess we'll never know, unless publishers are more forthcoming with actual data and numbers on this topic.
If publishers would at least remove the thing after some time—let it even be a year or two—, but with the sole exceptions of Doom and Rime (afaik) they never do!

So in short: If you put anti consumer DRM measures on your game to keep your shareholders and moneymen happy, while your honest customers are being held hostage by some shady DRM company (look at what those Austrian guys did before they came up with Denuvo, fuck them!), my money goes elsewhere, every single time.

Oct 31, 2017
I thougth you didnt have to connect online to Denuvo servers after done it once?
That's never been true.
Activation isn't a regular thing and its frequency may vary from game to game, but Denuvo has never been an "activate it once forever" sort of deal.
Still, Denuvo apologists and astroturfers on gaming forums, reddit and Steam will try to sell you any sort of bullshit for damage control.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Why is that positive? How is being able to play an offline game, something that is taken for granted for decades, something to praise with Denuvo? That's like praising a plane for being able to takeoff.

I hate Denuvo as much as you guys, but it`s still way better than games that are always online in order to prevent piracy. At least Denuvo can easily be removed in case of servers being shut down in the future. Not so easy if the game is developed to be always online.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
At least you could crack those games to you know play the thing you paid for. Current version Denuvo is uncracked so if this happened to AC:O people would be fucked.

That`s weird. Normally these protections are fucked once cracked. Some Denuvo games seems to be cracked within hours, yet some games doesn`t get cracked at all.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's never been true.
Activation isn't a regular thing and its frequency may vary from game to game, but Denuvo has never been an "activate it once forever" sort of deal.
Still, Denuvo apologists and astroturfers on gaming forums, reddit and Steam will try to sell you any sort of bullshit for damage control.
Wasn't it that they added the online checks after the first few workarounds appeared, where they didn't remove Denuvo, but managed to foil the Steam DRM that those game's shipped with, without changing the .exe? Maybe I'm misremembering. The first time I heard of Denuvo doing this, it seemed to be quite odd, since it runs counter to the idea of just protecting the .exe, like a clumsy bandaid for an inherent issue in their method.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At least you could crack those games to you know play the thing you paid for. Current version Denuvo is uncracked so if this happened to AC:O people would be fucked.
That is very true, I bought AC:O on consoles because I heard it came with Denuvo, a shame because it looks amazing on PC.

Love me some anti-consumer practices that only hurt the ones that legitimacy buy the products, good stuff /s

I don`t think gaming on Windows Store is any better.
Oh I know, the only game I tried to get on the Windows Store was KI. Never again.

Last edited:

Arxisz

Nov 1, 2017
Oh boy, it was just a matter of time before this would happen, and it will only get worse the more publishers shove it down our throats. Denuvo is really a virus that is slowly destroying this industry.

Oct 28, 2017
I hate Denuvo as much as you guys, but it`s still way better than games that are always online in order to prevent piracy. At least Denuvo can easily be removed in case of servers being shut down in the future. Not so easy if the game is developed to be always online.

In theory? Sure it's very easy to distribute the Denuvo-free executable. Is it likely? It's a gamble and we've seen it before with defunct DRM, some receive removals, some don't and it gets really messy for games that no longer have an operational studio/publisher. There's always titles get overlooked. What happens when a studio goes out of business? What happens when the source is lost? What happens when the IP rights transfer? What happens when they lose the rights to the game completely if it's a licensed game like Deadpool for example? Why should I believe they'll patch it out when some of these titles have been bypassed for almost half a decade at this point (Denuvo is basically impossible to strip from the executable so it's always a bypass)?

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't it that they added the online checks after the first few workarounds appeared, where they didn't remove Denuvo, but managed to foil the Steam DRM that those game's shipped with, without changing the .exe? Maybe I'm misremembering. The first time I heard of Denuvo doing this, it seemed to be quite odd, since it runs counter to the idea of just protecting the .exe, like a clumsy bandaid for an inherent issue in their method.
As I said, there's a lot of deliberate misinformation being spread by astroturfers. Maybe just as much as the one the "alarmists" are mocked for.
There was conclusive evidence that Denuvo used to "phone home" for years at this point, across multiple games, with a lot of complains from people who occasionally couldn't play what they paid for, but you still meet from time to time people who say that Denuvo needs to activate only once. That's NEVER been true.
In the same way it's always been just PR bullshit that it was "just anti-tamper, not a DRM, and it didn't do it by itself". One, because "being an anti-tamper system" is precisely what every DRM aims to be. Two, because it does plenty.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
In theory? Sure it's very easy to distribute the Denuvo-free executable. Is it likely? It's a gamble and we've seen it before with defunct DRM, some receive removals, some don't and it gets really messy for games that no longer have an operational studio/publisher. There's always titles get overlooked. What happens when a studio goes out of business? What happens when the source is lost? What happens when the IP rights transfer? What happens when they lose the rights to the game completely if it's a licensed game like Deadpool for example? Why should I believe they'll patch it out when some of these titles have been bypassed for almost half a decade at this point (Denuvo is basically impossible to strip from the executable so it's always a bypass)?

If this happens we really should blaming Steam as well.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
We've seen little to no data confirming that Denuvo actually improves sales (but we've seen plenty of boycotting of Denuvo titles) and we've seen it impact the performance of users across a slew of titles.

But, hey, anything to keep the filthy pirates (that can't afford the fucking games anyway) from playing 'em, eh?

#FuckTheEndUser
It's not even working anymore, to think that you have to download a crack when legitimately owning the game, to play it with better performance or in this recent case at all is really upsetting.

GoG shows that their DRM free policy can be very profitable and its also my preferred place to buy games from for this sole reason.

Oct 28, 2017
If this happens we really should blaming Steam as well.
Steam has redundancy in place (or so they've claimed for about ten years now) for their service so at least that's covered. If that turns out to be a lie (I actually believe them), it's easily cracked anyways. If Denuvo had measures in place, I'm sure they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.

I do think digital distribution services have an obligation to collect DRM-free executables to be released in the event of a defunct service/company/publisher though. That should be part of the agreement to distribute a title on Steam. I don't trust EA/Ubisoft to do it themselves so I guess thank god for that EFF/DMCA ruling allowing the circumvention of DRM in video games. Hopefully it's expanded for multiplayer services (including MMOs) in the future.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/11/new-dmca-ss1201-exemption-video-games-closer-look

I think it's a one time fee and it depends on the kind of game that is "protected" its rather cheap from what I've heard, that's the reason it's implemented so often.
According to leaks, 100,000EUR for AAA/50,000EUR for AA/10,000EUR for indie and a sales-based model which requires a 2500EUR setup fee and a 0.15EUR per unit fee.

Last edited:

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Monthly/yearly payment would surely motivate publishers to get rid of it. Too bad it`s a one time ting.
Yes but that's not how it works sadly. Most publishers know fully well that the drm will be cracked within a few weeks tops but it turns out, at least according to their statistics, that piracy hurts new games the most the first few weeks after their release. And if you look at any sales reports it gets quite clear that most of the units of a game are sold in the first few weeks and then they often drop out of the top 10 until their price gets lowered by 50% or more.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you mean that giving up the right to use my legally purchased copy of the game to a corporation through the unstable power of the internet is not good?

color me shocked

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, it brings back juicy GFWL memories.

How can people defend DRM is beyond me.
And SecuRom, don't forget that.

The servers were killed and people literally couldn't activate their games that used that protection.

All DRM solutions should be removed after a certain period of use. After the benefits to the development and publishers are less than the detriment to customers, it should go.

Oct 31, 2017
but it turns out, at least according to their statistics, that piracy hurts new games the most the first few weeks after their release. And if you look at any sales reports it gets quite clear that most of the units of a game are sold in the first few weeks and then they often drop out of the top 10 until their price gets lowered by 50% or more.
As a counterpoint, the elephant in the room anytime this topic is discussed is that "uncrackable games" protected for months never seem to emerge as outliers in sales. Hell, sometimes the opposite is true and they even underperform compared to their prequels or other titles in the same genre/budget range.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Seems to be working again, crisis averted for now.
But it really shows how much of a ticking timebombs these games are now.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I usually avoid games with non-Steam DRM until there's at least a 75-80% off sale. Steam itself isn't perfect but at least it's fully functional offline now and won't suddenly screw up if I add a new RAM stick or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people feel the same way.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I usually avoid games with non-Steam DRM until there's at least a 75-80% off sale. Steam itself isn't perfect but at least it's fully functional offline now and won't suddenly screw up if I add a new RAM stick or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people feel the same way.
This.

Basically my own stance is to avoid non-Steam DRMed games altogether no matter the price, even if they're free; I've had major issues with third-party DRM in the past (including Denuvo with Arkham Knight and Steam with Half-Life 2 early on) that I've sworn them off altogether.

It's kinda sad but I feel like I really have to double and triple-check every PC game I put money towards lately after SEGA snuck Denuvo in almost unnoticed and prevented people who pre-ordered the ability to refund the game by giving them a free game and delaying the game by over two weeks so that it went over Valve's 14 day refund limit(!!), and then Square Enix only announced their game had Denuvo just under a day before release. In cases of games from Humble Bundles with Denuvo or similar, I usually tend to put my money entirely towards charity and then pass the code to someone who would actually use it.

To say I find extra DRM upsetting would be an understatement.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
It's really dumb that both those games will still have Denuvo years after their release.

And people wonder why most folks say Denuvo in PC games is absolute crap. It's because of situations like this.
Agreed. I'm glad that most devs/companies will usually remove Denovo down the line. Those that don't just don't give a crap about their audience.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND

Denuvo also needs to authenticate the game each time its executable is modified or first time the game is installed (or major hardware changes), so this can also happen with updates (if the executable is modified which isn't always the case). Otherwise it doesn't need Internet access.

The reason most people don't know this is because most of the time you have Internet access whenever Denuvo needs to authenticate like upon first installing a game (chances are since you just downloaded it like on Steam you have Internet to authenticate), and each time an update comes out that modifies the executable (again, you just had Internet access to download the update).

Many people know that it's tied to requiring Internet access for this authentication, this means if the servers go down or Denuvo ceases to exist, you can't install and play your game. The industry also has a really bad track record with patching out things like DRM as well so a lot of games are at the mercy of a third party service right now.

This has been known ever since Denuvo came out and one can investigate it themselves with a tool like fiddler or wireshark, there was also a thread on NeoGAF around the time of MGSV's release when somebody couldn't play the game because at that point in time they installed it Denuvo's servers were offline.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It's kinda sad but I feel like I really have to double and triple-check every PC game I put money towards lately after SEGA snuck Denuvo in almost unnoticed and prevented people who pre-ordered the ability to refund the game by giving them a free game and delaying the game by over two weeks so that it went over Valve's 14 day refund limit(!!) ...

It wasn't the delay that threw a spanner into the works but rather the retroactive inclusion of Sonic 1. I asked Valve if the move had any impact on refund eligibility since many people who pre-purchased Mania would've already logged 2+ hours in the MegaDrive emulator throughout the various times they'd used it in the past and was told that while the refund request system may erroneously deny such requests, pre-existing playtime would be taken into account (i.e. not counted) if they were instead submitted via support ticket ("I have a question about this purchase"). So, yeah, while it's distinctly possible Sega's intention was to lock down certain pre-purchases, fortunately the refund policy still applied as you'd expect.

Last edited:

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Denuvo is just Games for Windows Live 2.0

I had to crack my Bulletstorm to play it, since my 100% legal bought copy uses GFWL and the servers have been taken offline

I can see all Denuvo games going the same way in 5 years

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't the delay that threw a spanner into the works but rather the retroactive inclusion of Sonic 1. I asked Valve if the move had any impact on refund eligibility since many people who pre-purchased Mania would've already logged 2+ hours in the MegaDrive emulator throughout the various times they'd used it in the past and was told that while the refund request system may erroneously deny such requests, pre-existing playtime would be taken into account (i.e. not counted) if they were instead submitted via support ticket ("I have a question about this purchase"). So, yeah, while it's distinctly possible Sega's intention was to lock down certain pre-purchases, fortunately the refund policy still applied as you'd expect.
I remember that, but didn't Sonic 1's inclusion commence on Mania's originally intended date (August 15, and then Mania was downloadable on August 29)? Forgive me if I'm wrong but I remember that being an additional factor fucking with the refund request system for some.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Denuvo is just Games for Windows Live 2.0

I had to crack my Bulletstorm to play it, since my 100% legal bought copy uses GFWL and the servers have been taken offline

I can see all Denuvo games going the same way in 5 years
The company that distributes Denuvo are the same people who made SecuROM so there's gonna be issues for sure.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I remember that, but didn't Sonic 1's inclusion commence on Mania's originally intended date (August 15, and then Mania was downloadable on August 29)? Forgive me if I'm wrong but I remember that being an additional factor fucking with the refund request system for some.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to address that, sorry. Sonic 1 was added on the 17th and the presence of Denuvo was discovered on the 29th, which is obviously less than 14 days, but Mania became pre-purchaseable at the end of June. If I were to guess, I'd say the refund system was erroneously denying pre-purchase refund requests that were within the window because Valve didn't take into account situations like this when designing it and it was just looking at the first app in the package, which would've been the emulator as it has the lowest app ID.

Last edited: