• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lashman

Oct 25, 2017
Denuvo anti-tamper tech causes major issues to legitimate owners of Sonic Mania

SEGA has released a new update for Sonic Mania that features a new version of the Denuvo anti-tamper tech. However, it appears that SEGA did not test it properly as this rushed Denuvo implementation causes many issues to legitimate owners of Sonic Mania.

Voksi, best known for his Denuvo cracks, has detailed the major issues that currently affect Sonic Mania.

According to reports, the latest version of Sonic Mania runs slower than its previous version and as Voksi claimed, this is due to Denuvo. The slowdown, Voksi claimed, is caused by a trigger in the time attack menu when players scroll down till the last levels, which is not closed properly and causes Denuvo to continue writing in its section until the game is closed, which causes massive game slowdown.

Some users also claimed that they can't get past the menu screen. Voksi stated that he encountered the same issue while trying to crack the game, so it appears that Denuvo is causing these loop issues too.

Legitimate owners of Sonic Mania have posted numerous issues on the Steam forums and Voksi claims that almost all of them are caused because SEGA rushed the new denuvo implementation and didn't test it properly.

So yeah, this is one of those rare cases that Denuvo actually causes major issues to legitimate owners!

Dif0pJ-XkAAOCdx.jpg:large

Nov 28, 2017
waiting for the "denuvo is good it keeps away the pirate scum!" brigade that always hilariously infiltrate these threads

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Does anyone know what Denuvo does behind the scenes that makes games chug? Does it constantly check something to make sure it's not a cracked version that eats up CPU power? I always hear how crappy it makes things run but don't know the details.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's nice that the people who actually buy stuff legally have to deal with this stuff while people who steal it just circumvent it all anyways.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Will they ever learn? They fucked up Denuvo's implementation on Mania's launch too.

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking delete Denuvo already. Publishers are pathetic cowards if they still think the road to protecting their products vs piracy is punishing legitimate customers. Fuck off already.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what Denuvo does behind the scenes that makes games chug?
Nothing. It virtualizes certain portions of code.

Used correctly, its impact is negligible. I also think the source in this thread is suspect; it could be that they've misused it (causing performance problems), but IIRC he has a history of attributing all sorts of problems to anti-tamper/DRM.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really now, who doesn't love DRM? Screw pirates and their games that function as they should, we should be happy as paying customers to have to put up with bullshit like this.
http:///LdRc.png
I've had multiple instances where I am prevented from playing the single player portion of this game that I paid full price for on Steam, thanks to the glorious DRM that infests within it.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn...why SEGA keep using Denuvo? The DLC have a very low price.

Oct 28, 2017
Sega have used it on every single PC release of theirs since Mania - maybe they have a sort of bulk deal going on?

The real headscratcher is why they chose to hastily update Denuvo when it's now known to be (relatively, depending on who works on cracks for what) futile.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. It virtualizes certain portions of code.

Used correctly, its impact is negligible. I also think the source in this thread is suspect; it could be that they've misused it (causing performance problems), but IIRC he has a history of attributing all sorts of problems to anti-tamper/DRM.
Not saying that guy is trustworthy but

https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...oblems-in-tekken-7-according-to-harada.36153/

Denuvo can cause performance issues.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I can only imagine a meeting between Western branch and the main branch in Japan:

W: "Guys, we should port our Japanese games on PC, it's a profitable platform."
J: "But how about them scummy pirates on PC?"
W: "We'll put Denuvo on all of our games (*explains what Denuvo is)."
J: "Get it done."

It's Denuvo or no port.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Sega have used it on every single PC release of theirs since Mania - maybe they have a sort of bulk deal going on?

The real headscratcher is why they chose to hastily update Denuvo when it's now known to be (relatively, depending on who works on cracks for what) futile.

This. Even companies who use this garbage are known to get rid of it after a certain period. Not double down and go with an update. What are they protecting? The pirates can already get the pirated version that's DRM free. Suits must be getting bonuses for this one.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Denuvo can cause performance issues.
By nature of what it does, it definitely can. But that comes from misuse (and lack of adequate testing).

I suspect most of the time it's forced on the game by the publisher, meaning there's not always a process in place to ensure it gets used correctly.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Rare cases? I've been locked out of games due to network outages cause of denuvo. It's fucking shit.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've pre-ordered Yakuza 0 on PC, but the moment a crack becomes available I'm going out of my way to use it for my own peace of mind.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sega is going to continue to add Denuvo, despite the backlash it seems. I assume they must have determined the loss of sales for having Denuvo was less than the loss of sales for not having it.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Even companies who use this garbage are known to get rid of it after a certain period

Not really. The majority of the games that have been cracked still have it.

But what is very interesting is this,

Abzu and Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter are available on GOG while their steam release still have Denuvo. That is honestly fascinating.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what Denuvo does behind the scenes that makes games chug? Does it constantly check something to make sure it's not a cracked version that eats up CPU power? I always hear how crappy it makes things run but don't know the details.
I think most of it is probably bad implementation, e.g. "it's not Denuvo's fault". But wait, let me try to prove that even if this is true, it's still Denuvo's fault.

Denuvo, to simplify it to the maximum extent that is useful -- is adding extra work for the game engine to do, with no actual benefit to the game. To be effective, it has to have its hooks in various places in the engine, which generally means you have to do a small (maybe very small) amount of re-engineering of the engine. If I can speculate for a moment, this re-engineering effort seems to often be made by different developers than the ones who wrote most of the original game's code -- I say this because so many copy-protection implementations using Denuvo are buggy. At the very least, it is something that occurs outside the usual QA cycle (not sure if this is licensing related or because no devs or QAs want to deal with Denuvo shit while they're trying to actually be productive).

So:
1. extra complexity in the code
2. immune to the QA cycle
3. (speculative) possibly done by a dev not as familiar with the code base?

Even if we're just dealing with #1 and #2, this is already a recipe for Shit To Go Wrong. This is always going to be the recipe for Shit To Go Wrong for any kind of heavy-handed copy protection, whether it's named Denuvo or something else. Denuvo happens to be the most famous boogeyman, but when most of us trash it, we're really trashing the idea that it's ok to risk (with a high probability!) crippling the game for paying customers for the rewards of... an extra couple weeks before piracy can happen.

(and oh by the way, if the crack doesn't happen, your game has a built in ticking time bomb until it doesn't run anymore)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think most of it is probably bad implementation, e.g. "it's not Denuvo's fault". But wait, let me try to prove that even if this is true, it's still Denuvo's fault.

Denuvo, to simplify it to the maximum extent that is useful -- is adding extra work for the game engine to do, with no actual benefit to the game. To be effective, it has to have its hooks in various places in the engine, which generally means you have to do a small (maybe very small) amount of re-engineering of the engine. If I can speculate for a moment, this re-engineering effort seems to often be made by different developers than the ones who wrote most of the original game's code -- I say this because so many copy-protection implementations using Denuvo are buggy. At the very least, it is something that occurs outside the usual QA cycle (not sure if this is licensing related or because no devs or QAs want to deal with Denuvo shit while they're trying to actually be productive).

So:
1. extra complexity in the code
2. immune to the QA cycle
3. (speculative) possibly done by a dev not as familiar with the code base?

Even if we're just dealing with #1 and #2, this is already a recipe for Shit To Go Wrong. This is always going to be the recipe for Shit To Go Wrong for any kind of heavy-handed copy protection, whether it's named Denuvo or something else. Denuvo happens to be the most famous boogeyman, but when most of us trash it, we're really trashing the idea that it's ok to risk (with a high probability!) crippling the game for paying customers for the rewards of... an extra couple weeks before piracy can happen.

(and oh by the way, if the crack doesn't happen, your game has a built in ticking time bomb until it doesn't run anymore)

That makes the most sense to me since they're just adding in code without thinking of its repercussions. And like you said they aren't the games developers , so even if they think they're doing something safe they don't know for sure. Depending on the way it's implemented it could cause issues especially if there's no qa testing after the Denuvo code is added.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I would fully support Denuvo in games if it was removed once a game is cracked. But since many publishers don't remove it, we end up with legit versions of games being the objectively inferior versions. That's not okay.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
That makes the most sense to me since they're just adding in code without thinking of its repercussions. And like you said they aren't the games developers , so even if they think they're doing something safe they don't know for sure. Depending on the way it's implemented it could cause issues especially if there's no qa testing after the Denuvo code is added.
FWIW, I expect they do some QA. Just clearly orders of magnitude less than the rest of the game had to endure to go gold.

(which, functionally, might not be different from "no qa" -- if you miss the bug!)

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
If I can speculate for a moment, this re-engineering effort seems to often be made by different developers than the ones who wrote most of the original game's code

For what it's worth, there's a UK game developer called Lab42 who has their own private branch for Sonic Mania according to SteamDB. Their branch was added as early as May 2018. This branch is currently even with both the Denuvo testing branch and the Plus branch (presumably testing/developing the improvements brought to 1.04/1.05 along with the Encore DLC).

Lab42 doesn't seem to be explicitly credited judging by the staff roll so their exact involvement is kind of vague. This is purely speculative, but perhaps they could have done the newer Denuvo implementation for Sega Europe if this theory's correct; maybe they simply did just do some (uncredited) testing. Maybe they did some (perhaps also uncredited) development support for the PC version of the Encore DLC, etc.; maybe all of the above. Mabye none of the above. Who knows.

Slight tangent but it apparently wouldn't be the first time Sega Europe's worked with them; a cursory web search showed me a resume for a technical artist at Lab42 who apparently worked on Sonic Forces Speed Battle under contract from Hardlight (the main devs, and a Sega Europe-owned studio).

Android 18

Jun 26, 2018
Fuck Denuvo so much. I have pretty much stopped buying PC games completely since they started that shit, and have stuck to console games. Can't even remember the last PC game I bought anymore.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Sega have used it on every single PC release of theirs since Mania
It's why I have stopped buying SEGA published games.
I'm torn over wanting to support them finally bringing the Yakuza series to PC, and not wanting to support their continued use of Denuvo.
I tend to treat it on a case-by-case basis rather than outright not buying anything that uses Denuvo, but I do refuse to buy anything that includes it at full price.
It's Denuvo or no port.
They didn't seem to have problems porting games before releasing Sonic Mania.
Based on the leaked data a few weeks ago, Bayonetta appears to have sold almost three times as many copies as Sonic Mania without any need for Denuvo, and it was only released four months prior.
There are now several provable examples of Denuvo hurting game performance, and many more games using it which have performance issues speculated to be caused by it.
I have now had to crack several games that I own to mod them for ultrawide support.
This. Even companies who use this garbage are known to get rid of it after a certain period. Not double down and go with an update. What are they protecting? The pirates can already get the pirated version that's DRM free. Suits must be getting bonuses for this one.
Unfortunately only about 1/4 of games using it have actually removed it at some point, and it's not always removed from the Steam version for some reason.
If companies would at least guarantee its removal at a later date; e.g. 6 months after release, I would be far less bothered by the inclusion of Denuvo to "protect" those first-week sales.
Fuck Denuvo so much. I have pretty much stopped buying PC games completely since they started that shit, and have stuck to console games. Can't even remember the last PC game I bought anymore.
Denuvo sucks but this argument makes little sense to me; just like people that buy the console version of a game due to a "bad PC port" even when the current state of that port is still better than the console version.
I would hope that things are better going forward with the current console architecture, but the state of backwards compatibility on the PS4 is embarrassing.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hell is the point of duenvo if the game is cracked day one?

It's literally to make suits who have no idea about games or PC gaming in general feel better. If they "feel" like their game is protected then their mind is at ease and they approve the port. It doesn't matter if it gets cracked right away. If they think it stopped some people from pirating then that's all they care about.

Yeah it really is that ridiculous but that's executives for ya. With japanese companies this effect can be even worse because they like to live in their own world over there to begin with and aren't as up to date on things like PC gaming as most western companies would be.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every time. I shouldn't have to pause and wonder what's going to go wrong with every Sega PC release, but here we are.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
When are we going to get some actual, hard data on whether or not Denuvo actually impacts games in a significant way? It seems like what I hear is almost always hyperbole. Have there been any mainstream comparisons with and without Denuvo that I've missed?

Edit: Found. Looks like there was basically zero impact with Doom and FF15.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that the people who actually buy stuff legally have to deal with this stuff while people who steal it just circumvent it all anyways.
Actually, this affects everyone.

When are we going to get some actual, hard data on whether or not Denuvo actually impacts games in a significant way? It seems like what I hear is almost always hyperbole. Have there been any mainstream comparisons with and without Denuvo that I've missed?
A proper implementation of Denuvo causes no performance problems other than a longer initial loading.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm still so confused that the execs in the games industry haven't learned the lesson that having the best experience possible for your paying customers is a winning strategy.

Harming your customers in some silly attempt to hurt non customers is a garbage idea.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Found. Looks like there was basically zero impact with Doom and FF15.

Harada himself says it impacted Tekken 7.

This isn't Denuvo impacting performance here, this is Sega fucking up the implementation of it completely leading to major issues and allowing it to be cracked day 1 anyway.