• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
This happened shortly, and a user on the steam community posted a guide for how to download the .exe through the Steam console. THIS IS *ONLY* THE .EXE, NOT THE ACTUAL GAME. BUY THE GAME: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1676142248

JUST TO STRESS, THIS IS ONLY A WAY TO DOWNLOAD THE .EXE DIRECTLY THROUGH STEAM. THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU ALREADY OWN DMCV, TOO.

There's been back and forth about how Denuvo may affect performance. The user that created the steam community post shared some shots from the same location, on the same machine, that saw a 20FPS difference in performance. Others in the comments on the guide have shared similar results, and I can confirm better performance on my end as well.

While due to the nature of Denuvo the performance impacts will vary game by game, this is fairly conclusive proof that at least the way that Denuvo has been implemented in DMCV, it has a notable impact on performance. Please don't make this thread about piracy.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I still wouldn't post about ways to get an executable the devs clearly don't want users to have.

At any case, this difference in performance is pretty weird, it's even too much for Denuvo. It might be an .exe from another version with better performance?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Fuck Denuvo.

I hope Capcom removes it now that it's 100% useless due to their fuckup.
Yeah, I still wouldn't post about ways to get an executable the devs clearly don't want users to have.
Why? It's an .exe you download directly via Steam and you need to own the game for Steam to let you download it. Why do you care?

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know how I feel about sharing a link to an executable file that the developers didn't intend for you to have... I realize you don't want this thread to be about piracy, but this seems at least a gray area.

That said, sad to see the performance taking such a hard hit with it on.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
This is actually pretty significant.

Most of performance comparisons dismiss the fact that most late builds that remove Denuvo have updates and patches that should also be considered when claiming that Denuvo affects performance.

But in the case of DMCV, I think, the performance boost is purely due to a Denuvo-less version of the game.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't know how I feel about sharing a link to an executable file that the developers didn't intend for you to have... I realize you don't want this thread to be about piracy, but this seems at least a gray area.

That said, sad to see the performance taking such a hard hit with it on.
How you feel about sharing a link to an exe doesn't matter, because nobody is linking to any exe, but giving instructions in order to get Steam to download it from official servers.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
The exe itself is still signed by capcom and is not a crack. You still need to own the game on steam, and have steam running to use the exe.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is bad, if true. DMC5 isnt particularly demanding but there's a lot of demanding games out there where an extra 5-10 fps could mean the difference between unplayable and playable on lower end machines.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
20% is crazy if true, but it almost sounds like a bit too much. Would be nice if some more people could share their results.

Mar 23, 2018
As I'm reading, this is an official executable signed by Capcom and that it is using Steam's regular/standard DRM, which is why a legit owner can still use this executable and unlock achievements or have it detected by Steam when playing. Let's hope Capcom realizes this is already in the wild and make the experience better for everyone. What is done is done, so announcing they're removing Denuvo would at least get them some good PR news and perhaps even better sales.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
*someone finds a way to download the denuvo-less .exe, which proves Denuvo is terrible for consumers as it makes the experience worse*

consumers: BUT THE DEV DIDN'T INTEND US TO HAVE THIS .EXE THIS IS BAD DON'T DO THIS

Last edited:

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
20FPS is huge!

*someone finds a way to download the denuvo-less .exe, which proves Denuvo is terrible for consumers as it makes the experience worse*

costumers: BUT THE DEV DIDN'T INTEND US TO HAVE THIS .EXE THIS IS BAD DON'T DO THIS

The pinnacle of this for me was RE2 demo having the half hour limit modded out. "They didn't have to give you a demo." being my favourite response.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Lol the creators intent is to severely worsen their product for customers for reasons.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just remove Denuvo.
It's cracked and doesn't protect jack shit for those who really want to not buy it, while it lowers the performance.
And thank you, I was going to download DMCV after work after I finally got my key

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It can't be stressed enough: Fuck Denuvo. Publishers, you are losing more customers by making your games run poorly on low end machines than gaining sales by pirates supposedly turning into legit buyers.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There should be a proper benchmark done by a reputable source before claims of 20% performance gain can be made. Two static screenshots with RTSS overlay showing momentary fps values aren't that.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I love the folks who IMMEDIATELY post in this thread about "you can't do that".

Yes they fucking can. They paid for the game, it is single-player, who is harmed by this?

20% performance difference....oof

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see some in-depth testing on this with different hardware configurations to see where the performance hit comes from and under what circumstances, though I guess the legally dubious nature of it means that most credible sites won't touch it.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
There should be a proper benchmark done by a reputable source before claims of 20% performance gain can be made. Two static screenshots with RTSS overlay showing momentary fps values aren't that.

It's not just that pic, it's been reported by a lot of players on Steam

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, that performance difference is wild. As someone on a dated system with which I need to make a lot of adjustments to get a solid 60 in modern games, this is such a slap in the face.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Stuck at work until later today. Is there any chance Cacpcom might take the executable down?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Jesus, that performance difference is wild. As someone on a dated system with which I need to make a lot of adjustments to get a solid 60, this is such a slap in the face.
Same. I'm gonna buy the game soon, and I intend to play it on my desktop when I'm home AND in my laptop when I go visit my family. My desktop PC has an i7 6700k and a GTX 1070, so I probably don't care about this when playing there. But my laptop has an i5 8300H and a GTX 1050. This will probably be what allows me to get 60 FPS out of my laptop on this game.

But Capcom doesn't want me, a paying customer, to have that extra performance so that they can "protect" (not really) their game from piracy.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I always feel as though the anger in threads like these is incorrectly directed towards the developer/publisher of the game.

Denuvo and other anti-piracy software is shitty for performance and makes the consumer experience worse, that has been proven time and time again.

It's also a necessary evil. There's a reason it's generally patched out after the initial sales period, because the developers understand it sucks. They also want to capitalize on the initial sales, and tools like Denuvo help to prevent lost sales due to piracy. This is just a fact - tools like Denuvo cost a lot of money, and they wouldn't utilize them if it didn't assist in sales.

The anger should be directed at people who pirate games at release instead of purchasing them. They are the reason Denuvo exists, not the developer.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why Denuvo even exists, the solution to piracy is very obvious; Make everyone login to your server. Offline gaming isn't a thing anymore, specially on PC when effectively 100 percent of software is distrusted online and requires online activation anyway. Instead they'd rather make the experience worse by attaching unwanted cryptography software that will obviously have some performance hit to accommodate a tiny base that some times wants to play offline. It would be a lot harder to make server emulators and bypass that for every release than it is to crack an anti tamper solution. As long as it can go offline it can be cracked. You can use the online opportunity to improve your product as well.

Look at a game like Hitman, it's single player but it's also an online game. The offline mode in that game shouldn't exist, it's just not the full experience and the game begs you to not use it and the online features really does increase the longevity of the product compared with the past game.

Your'e telling me that the users of these games that require a substantial PC to run and good internet connection to get can't remain online to play them? yeah, no. When weighting pro/cons, this current situation is not worth it to me. Not for the player and not for the publisher. Instead of paying Denuvo, pay AWS and support your game longer. All the biggest games in the world are online, people can afford to be online to play, they must be online most of the time.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I always feel as though the anger in threads like these is incorrectly directed towards the developer/publisher of the game.

Denuvo and other anti-piracy software is shitty for performance and makes the consumer experience worse, that has been proven time and time again.

It's also a necessary evil. There's a reason it's generally patched out after the initial sales period, because the developers understand it sucks. They also want to capitalize on the initial sales, and tools like Denuvo help with prevent lost sales due to piracy.

The anger should be directed at people who pirate games at release instead of purchasing them. They are the reason Denuvo exists, not the developer.
Nope. Any publisher deliberately making the experience worse for their paying customers should be criticised for doing so.