• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

this song and escitalopram
I also work a demanding job that keeps me in check, even if I don't even want to be there at all.

Dec 22, 2017
First of all, I want to say that it gets better...it's hard to imagine anything other than how you feel right now, so you will just have to trust me.

As far as actual advice goes...Exercise is numero uno for me. I am miserable without it.

There are also three "uplifting" things I turn to when I need motivation to keep going.

1) Cast Away with Tom Hanks. Specifically the "keep breathing" scene.

2) the poem Desiderata, by Max Ehrmann

http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html

3) the poem If, by Rudyard Kipling

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46473/if---

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Just remind yourself that it could always be worse, and somebody somewhere is having a day that makes yours look like rainbows and sunshine.
With all due respect, I think this is unhelpful advice for many people. I recognize that some people find a simple perspective change to be helpful in overcoming persistent feelings of depression and it's not my intention to tell anyone they're wrong about something that makes them feel better, but for many other people (especially in cases of severe, chronic depression) this sentiment only exacerbates feelings of being a failure for being depressed and/or not deserving sympathy from others. These feelings, while often sincerely held, are not reflective of reality. Experiencing them is not a personal failing, however, and no matter how severe or (relatively) mild anyone's depression is, it deserves to be taken seriously by others if it is having a negative impact on their life.

Nearly everyone--even those whose experiences are well beyond what the vast majority of people can conceive of--can point to at least a few other people in the world whose existence is even more miserable. However, I don't believe that thinking of depression, or mental illness more generally, as a competition is helpful or fair. I would agree that maintaining some sense of perspective about one's place in the world is generally beneficial, but I have long been concerned by the potential of the "other people have it worse" sentiment to serve as a form of invalidation, even when it is not meant to (largely because being beaten over the head with that phrase while being told that my only problem was being lazy and ungrateful helped delay the start of my recovery by several years). It is not anyone's fault for being depressed and everyone has the right to feel bad about their situation. Ultimately, the hope is to be able to move past those feelings, but it's hard to seriously address them without recognizing them as a valid and serious concern.

Anyway, that's my take which I have found helpful to hear from other people in the past, but if anyone reading this finds an alternate approach to be more helpful to them then I hope you'll ignore this.

Is it possible to fight depression without medication?
No single treatment works for everyone. Some people have success fighting depression without meds while others do not. There's no way to know what does and doesn't work for any given person without trial and error. It's unlikely that any one treatment will be effective in isolation, however, and medical professionals will tell you that medication alone is not sufficient. In my case I think going off my meds was a serious mistake, but there were a lot of other factors that also contributed to my ending up back in the hospital seven months later. It's not always possible to isolate every specific cause and effect, but if medication seems to correlate with overall improvement, it is likely worth continuing with. On the other hand, if a particular med or combination of meds is not helping or is making feelings of depression worse it should not be continued, but I would stress that stopping immediately and without medical advice is unwise as it can be important to taper off meds just as one has to gradually increase the dosage when starting.

Going through day-to-day life while wanting to die really fucking sucks. Unfortunately it's something that many people have to cope with, but it's hard to bring up because it often provokes reactions of disbelief, disgust, or anger. Not saying that's necessarily what you're thinking because I don't know your thoughts, of course, but it's a concern that has to be kept in mind in general by already vulnerable people.

Strangelove77 I sincerely hope that you do not kill yourself and that you are able to find people and things that help you feel better.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By sheer cowardice (being afraid to off myself) and happy moments here and there. I think it is inevitable that I will kill myself eventually, and I find it oddly refreshing for some reason. I hate the swings though and the anxiety that you will go downward again.

Exercise do help but as preemptive measure.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
About six weeks ago, I began implementing changes into my life relating to my diet and the amount of exercise I get, as well as trying to be more proactive with things like self-learning (I've read more during this time than I have in years) and allowing myself more moments of solace where I can get out of my own head and just relax with something as simple as a film. Obviously, it's still early days for this routine and I realise I could very easily slip back into the pit of despair as I have done many times in the past, but I've definitely noticed a general improvement in my mood day to day. There have been no more than a handful of days during this period where I've started to feel the ennui creep back in, and they were the norm beforehand.

I have lots of things to be thankful for in my life, but my circumstance in regards to employment is the hook threatening to drag me back into the mire. At the moment, I'm just doing my best to maintain this new routine so that my mental health isn't permanently low.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I believe life is worth living and things could always be worse. I've never lost the passions and interests I had as a kid, they're just buried in misery at the moment. Fortunately I still love to learn and I don't have chronic pain or anything.

OP
OP
Taco_Human

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Thanks for the words guys. I was reading over things as I cooked myself some food. I definitely have already tried of the advice here. I think the things that make most sense for me right now are to find help before school starts, (definitely not something I want to fail out of, I'm pretty sure I'm almost out of financial aid) and throwing in other things I like to do, like biking and stuff. I don't wanna go back to the gym, but I'll definitely remain active. I'm been playing a lot of PoGo lately so I definitely walk for multiple hours a few days of the week. Not everyday, but I definitely don't get lazy all the time...

Anyways, I'm off to bed. This is the earliest I've gone to bed in probably years. Hopefully I don't lay here for hours with my eyes closed and not get any sleep.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck Taco_Human. If you (or anyone in this thread) ever needs to talk you can always PM me. Or you can post in the mental health thread (I can't recall you posting there, but I may be mistaken).

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Look, everything's rough out there for a lot of people. You sound like you're dealing with a lot of hard things, and feeling like that is undeerstandable. However, you're 26, and as old as that may seem to you, you're really just getting started (ask ANY 30 year old).

You have the love of your family and a safety net, which is a lot more than many others can claim. Find other things to love: hobbies, travel, activities, even some work. Let yourself goof off a little to catch your breath, get some exercise and work hard on picking yourself up; maybe cold-turkey, maybe with some professional help like others have mentioned; it's all good as long as you're taking care of yourself while positively contributing to that around you.

One of the lies that depression tells you is that things won't get better, when it can be unfathomably better with your own drive and the support of those who care about you. Keep going.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My motivation is basically just staying a step or two ahead of the void. I've found a few purposive activities that sometimes give me a sense of meaning, and usually that's enough for me to avoid that sense of life-negating pointlessness.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I don't know. The only thing motivating me is the fear of being homeless AND still have all my mental disorders. I'd rather trade everything in my life for homelessness if it meant that I could be free of this though. Even if it's only for a year or two until being homeless starts effecting me, if it ever does.

I just want to feel OK. Because at the moment I'm anything but. People say keep fighting, it gets better. I don't know if it does, as a whole. Spikes of better happen sure, but for me it has been progressively gotten worse even though I get a lot of help, support, and do a lot on my own (exercise, food, sleep, talk) to try and feel better.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone ever feel like they don't necessarily wanna die but don't wanna live either? Sometimes, especially lately, I don't wanna live. I don't wanna die because that's scary and it'll hurt a lot of people, but I just don't wanna exist. Living is hard and painful.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like both a lot, and very little has happened to me in the last 2 months. Basically I'm not sure where I'm going in life right now. I'm registered to go back to school this fall, full time. I'm going for my associates and I should be done in maybe a year if I get these classes done. I lost my job in the beginning of May, and while I'm trying to maintain my positivity, I can't help but feel down about everything. I'm not working so I feel as if I have no meaning everyday. I've always loved this forum for my love of games but that's not enough to get me going in life. I've made some discoveries this first half of the year, and I'm trying to get some IT and networking certificates, but it doesn't mean anything if I never study and never get them. I'll be stuck applying to only dead end jobs.

My girl broke up with me awhile ago, we got back together and we broke it off again almost 2 weeks ago so it doesn't hurt that much, it just sucks a lot of my friends I met at my last job, and I don't exactly have a circle of friends to confide in. Some of my closer friends had some shit going on so I couldn't exactly reach out to them in my time of need, when I'm usually there for them.

I just started crying as I'm typing this up. I force myself to do good for myself like going for runs, working out, sometimes go explore the city just for the hell of taking walks and not being inside playing all day, but how am I supposed to make this life work if I'm stuck right now and feel awful? I'm trying to clean up my act and I feel like these cycles are getting longer, but also it sucks knowing besides exercise, it's hard to find meaning in everyday.

I went from a few months ago to having a good job, being in school and a girlfriend to right now where I have nothing but family which I'm super thankful for. I wouldn't give them up for anything. But they still have problems with the fact that I like to medicate. I'm trying to lay off that for as long as I can until I find work, but at this point when I'm 26, how am I supposed to not let these cycles get to me in the future? It feels like they're destined to happen over and over. I'm a super positive person, but shit, facing reality by myself really sucks and I have no idea what to do.

I don't have insurance right now, so therapy and going to doctors is out of the question until I find some work again. Otherwise I might have to pay the school's insurance, which I don't know how I'm gonna pay for since I'm leaking out my savings. I know I need to push through and finish school, but I don't know how to deal with these feelings for the next two months. Politics are already hard enough on me, and I'm not strong at putting my voice out at things that are important to me.

I think I just need some hugs.

Edit: Side note, I've been playing Guild Wars for the past week all day everyday except this weekend. I haven't touched any games today except one round of team fortress, so I'm just lost in thought right now.

Sorry man, that's tough to hear. I wish I knew how to cope with that feeling of being lost, while at the same time trying to manage the lows in life that seems to come at you one after the other like breaking up with your girl and losing your job. The knocks keep coming huh. I still encourage you to reach out to you friends even if they do have other shit going on in their lives. Good friends will do what they can, and you will appreciate whatever they can offer in support.

I'm not sure if I've given up on the idea of finding meaning, but I try not to put too much significance in it. What's the meaning of life, what does it all mean, these types of giant questions are a grandiose and antiquated. I ask simpler questions like "is there anything i can do today to make me feel a little less terrible". But I know how you feel because i'm there too. I feel like my brain is being boiled and every little drama I have to deal with is making me think about how to relieve myself of that pain for good. But like you, I wouldn't give up my family for anything, and that overrides the asshole voice in my head that wants me to self-harm. It's a struggle my dude, but keep on trying.

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
Since money sounds like an issue at this moment, here are some ideas:
-Should you decide to go to school, you can try looking to see if your school offers free counseling there if you want a professional to talk to.
-Look for low-cost/free activities (e.g. you don't need to sign up at a gym, just find some exercises you can do; join meetup groups; check out stuff from library)

I'd like to share some of my theory on well-being though it is not exactly unique...
I think the baseline mood/affect is determined by the combination of 1) physical health and 2) mental/emotional health (aka "spirit").

Taking better care for the physical health, will for the most part, "automatically" improve your feeling of well-being and raise the baseline mood.
What I mean by "automatic" is that physical effects are governed mostly by rules of physics or rules of nature/the world (and not necessarily relies on or has the pre-requisite that you first must have a strong spirit). In other words, it doesn't require you to overexert "will power" or "spiritual strength" that you may feel lacking at the moment. If the physical practices or substances you ingest are indeed healthy for you, they will support/boost you. Also, taking care of your physical health could be like an experiment to test or "rule out" the possibility that your depression is actually attributed mostly to an extreme case of physical unwellness. General idea: "Healthy points to health. Unhealthy points to unhealth."

As for mental/emotional health, there appear to be different "strategies" out there. One of the strats is to "combat" or "counter" negative thoughts by replacing them with positive thoughts. The goal I think is to create a new "habit" of thinking that replaces the negative habit with a positive one. A new "wavelength" or "frequency". This strat brings to mind the use of "mantras" or "hypnosis" or something like "lullabies". This strategy seems to take some heavy, initial effort in hopes that positivity becomes more ingrained or the default "autopilot mode" with less continual mental/emotional/spiritual effort later on to sustain. This strat appears to like "control".

Another strat for mental/emotional health is "to rise above thought". In other words, that negative thoughts do not need to be fought against (nor positive thoughts need to be attached to). This strat can be practiced by observing your thoughts as if from a distance or as if they were happening to someone else. The practice may help you take on a new perspective or place from which thoughts attempt to interact with you. At first, it feels like there's no space or distance between you and your thoughts: it's like your caught during a storm on the surface of a raging water and every thought and emotion that appears drags you down its path instantly. Later on as you become accustomed to this strat, there's space/distance between you and your thoughts: you're like an anchor sunken in the calm of bottom of the ocean looking above at the turbulence on the surface of the water. You're like a person lying peacefully in the grass looking at the clouds in the sky and calling them as the shapes they appear as ("this one is anger", "this cloud is joy", etc.). This strat appears to like "surrender" i.e. let go of thoughts or let them be. Eventually the power of thoughts weaken and they are "put in their proper place". Thoughts cannot exist with you. You are higher than thought. "Thoughts come and knock on your door, but you don't answer".

I prefer the second strat over the first as the nature of thoughts can be random, fluctuating, endless/innumerable, inconsistent, deceiving.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to slip down the hole when you don't have anything to do so I try to keep myself busy. Eventually something will click and that'll take over a majority of my time.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Does anyone ever feel like they don't necessarily wanna die but don't wanna live either? Sometimes, especially lately, I don't wanna live. I don't wanna die because that's scary and it'll hurt a lot of people, but I just don't wanna exist. Living is hard and painful.

This is pretty much where I'm at. Constantly battling depression for the last 10 or so years really takes a toll on you and I don't see it getting better any time soon.

The only thing keeping me going is I'm scared of what happens after death. Nothingness for eternity is terrifying to me. If an afterlife was proven to exist I'd be gone on the spot I think.

XAL

Oct 27, 2017
Google: dialectical cognitive behavioral therapy

If you can't pay for it or have it covered by insurance (or any other therapy), I suggest just looking up what DBT is about and maybe look for an online support group if you don't have any friends or family that you can speak to.

Depression can be cured for some if it's a situational context, for others it's just something you live with and do your best. I fall into the latter category. It's a disease and if it's not curable for you it can be managed. It can be challenging at first, you have to work at it over a long amount of time.

A year and half ago I missed a lot of work and sleeping entire days OFTEN just to avoid the crushing pain of depression, ptsd, and anxiety - working my way to just persisting and struggling but living and doing my best to live in the present.

I still struggle but going through some of the processes that DBT has taught me make it manageable so I'm not constantly spiraling. That's an improvement, I'm not cured, but it's way better than not being able to get out of bed constantly.

Mindfulness and being able to recognize the root of negative thought patterns are the best tools that this has to offer.

Last edited:

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Honestly, this really helped me.

AUDIOBOOKS - With your favorite Genre and a great narrator. There are so many fantastic novels in audibles and it will get you through the day (in my experience)
Will take your mind off the bad stuff, you can also do some light work or exercise while listening.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
i'm back on medication. it's been about 3 and a half months now i think. i'm feeling considerably better but still have shitty days like today. i think it's because i keep drinking and also i'm super bored (no work this week). i want to do something but don't know what to do. the only thing i can think of is going to get some tattoos done but i'm terrified and don't feel confident (not my first time getting tattoos).

i feel like shit and the thought of sitting in the house all day is bringing me down but even just the thought of going a walk around the park feels overwhelming.

i don't know how i keep going. one day at a time i guess? when things get really bad i have to go sleep because nothing else helps and sometimes even sleeping doesn't help. i feel so frustrated and agitated. i want to do something but it's such an effort to even get out the door.

i feel the same. i think about suicide a lot but i don't really want to die. it's hard to put into words but yeah what you said...i don't wanna live but i don't wanna die.

Honestly, this really helped me.

AUDIOBOOKS - With your favorite Genre. There are so many fantastic novels in audibles and it will get you through the day (in my experience)
Will take your mind off the bad stuff, you can also do some light work or exercise while listening.
i tried audiobooks a while back. i usually would read in bed so when i started audiobooks i just kept falling asleep. so instead i would listen to them while out walking instead of music. it was really great but unfortunately it was too expensive. i'm back reading paperbacks. well....i bought a load of books months ago and haven't touched them.

Last edited:

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Get into a fixed routine. Get up. Meditate, workout, make a dope breakfast. Read self improvement books (I recommend blinkist). Cold shower. Go to walk. Make sure there's at least a ten minute walk in there. Don't take the lift at work.

That's how I get through every morning. The rest of the day seems to follow suit if you start it right.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
i tried audiobooks a while back. i usually would read in bed so when i started audiobooks i just kept falling asleep. so instead i would listen to them while out walking instead of music. it was really great but unfortunately it was too expensive. i'm back reading paperbacks. well....i bought a load of books months ago and haven't touched them.

I think this is the only downside. It can be costly
I use it when going to sleep, doing work, and when going outside. The stories being narrated makes me feel I'm part of the adventure. After some months, my depression doesn't come so often and I felt quite recovered now. I feel very productive and want to see what the future holds for me in a positive light.

This is coming from a guy who went through A lot of bad stuff and inner demons in his life.

in the end, this worked for me, I dunno it will work for others. But at least give it a try and maybe this will help

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well my depression mixes with a severe anxiety and an extremely occupying physical compulsion that makes it difficult to focus or accomplish anything for hours at a time. It's caused enough interference to make my self-esteem to drop hard for these past couple years, which makes the depression hit that much harder.

So the many days I feel bleak, alone, apathetic, and most often of all, hollow, I just allow myself to feel that way. I feel horrible and shut myself away. (I'm lucky to have some financial security so that if I did fuck something up because I felt so bad, I'd have a safety net.) Knowing I'm on a path of some kind with school keeps me on track. I wanna make sure I capitalize on the couple days I feel good, and use those days to start new paths. Return to hobbies I dropped but wish to re-devote myself to, figure out a plan for after school is over, take up more exercise, or find a new job. I know I'll go right back to feeling empty again the next day, but I make progress little by little. And eventually, I start to really follow through, and follow those paths even on my bad days.

I often find myself fall back into old habits, dropping the exercise I did for a couple weeks, or never following through after dabbling in the hobby again, but I think the important thing is even when I drop these things, I never lose the intention to pick it back up again. And each time I do return, I hold out for longer; I feel fulfilled and on the right track for a longer period of time. I guess its that little fire of hope, to be better in the future, that keeps me going. Even if I feel totally lost most of the time.

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
I think this is the only downside. It can be costly
I use it when going to sleep, doing work, and when going outside. The stories being narrated makes me feel I'm part of the adventure. After some months, my depression doesn't come so often and I felt quite recovered now. I feel very productive and want to see what the future holds for me in a positive light.

This is coming from a guy who went through A lot of bad stuff and inner demons in his life.
i got a couple free books (i tried audible) and the experience was great. i tried listening to them at work but got so distracted. listening while out a walk was perfect. if i can get a good price on an audiobook i'd definitely pick it up. i love books but sitting down to read a book is so hard for me. not only actually physically sitting down and opening it but i have no concentration for it. same goes for movies/games. but with the audiobook i was listening to 2-3 chapters a day when usually i'd struggle to read a single chapter in a paperback.

i'm glad to hear that they have helped you :)

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Get out of bed. Make my bed. Work on my photography. Focus on improving my mental health. Therapy.

Mar 9, 2018
I've had biological depression through my mother for as far back as I can remember.

When it got really bad, i told myself that no matter how bad fit got I cold always kill myself.

I forced myself to do something,I gave myself no choice.
I'm mostly motivated by fear.

I fon't pick things up as quick as others sometimes, I'm often insulted for not being aggressive, having low self-esteem, the delayed brain symptom, and I'm tired as soon as I wake up.

I don't enjoy anything at all about life, nothing alleviates this costume emptiness that can make everything so unreal.

I just keep moving, I don't know if I'm getting anywhere.

I tell Myself I could be homeless if I don't go to work.

I make it feel as though my life is at stake each and every day and that fear pushes me.

I Don't know if it will ever get better.

I have no real hope or motivation at all.

I can't really believe that life can ever be good.

Chicken Wing

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
I don't push myself through every day, I've completely given up hope of being anything other than a useless piece of shit, I'm pissed each morning I actually do wake up. Guess you can call me "lucky".

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I try to remember the conversations I had with my dad, be about computers, photography, cinema, whatever, and think how much it would destroy him if he saw me at my worst, or by doing something harmful to me. Don't want to dissapoint his memory, so I try to continue onwards.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
For me, a strong sense of self-preservation. As many times as I thought about giving up, I guess my mind just won't let me do it.

I know that's not really helpful advice to anyone, but it's the honest truth that reflects my personal experience while being depressed.

As for treatment... cannabis is literally the best thing that has ever happened to me. Can't wait until it's fully legalized in this country!

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
Mindfulness. Practice shutting those negative thoughts off (an app like Headspace is good for this). This can be a huge help to get you to snap out of it. For me, it all starts with 'getting out of my own head'. It's not easy but you can do it with enough practice.

Oct 29, 2017
Mindfulness. Practice shutting those negative thoughts off (an app like Headspace is good for this). This can be a huge help to get you to snap out of it. For me, it all starts with 'getting out of my own head'. It's not easy but you can do it with enough practice.

I haven't tried Headspace, but for me this is right on the money. For me depression is a shitty mentality that my brain likes to "cozy up" on. It's almost like it sometimes seeks out reasons to be depressed and it actively makes shit up that doesn't exist ("oh god I bet X friend hates me") because feeling depressed is somehow "better" than feeling bored/mellow/nothing.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Integrating meditation, spiritual and just open minded practices into my life. Life is completely illogical. Might as well embrace everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Think of where you want to be in life like a long term goal. Don't think of anything unrealistic, but make sure it's something you really want. Make a plan of how you can achieve that, then go for the plan. You'll have setbacks. It happens. You just have to make sure you don't lose sight of that goal. When you get to that spot in life make another plan for something else. Keep doing this till you can just retire and chill.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
after suffering for so long, the void within you starts to feel like home. I've grown to find comfort in it.

i don't want to live and i don't want to die either but at least there is coffee here so that makes it all a little easier to cope with.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
This has never helped for me, personally.

It really only amplifies the guilt that I have things seemingly good and yet I couldn't possibly feel more of this perpetual, to-my-core feeling of just lacking.
Yeah for a lot of people feeling guilty over feeling terrible is common and only really serves to make you feel worse.