• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I've been mulling over this idea for a while. It seems like the games industry is at odds with itself.

One the one hand there are some really unique ideas being promoted. On the other hand anti-consumer practices are at an all-time high.

I'm sure that's not the only contrast/conflict going on so I thought I'd open it up for discussion.

I'll go first:
  1. Wouldn't it be cool if [insert extra-cool idea]
  2. This is a stick-up! Nobody moves and nobody gets hurt! [Fleecing commences]

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
EA was intrigued. They also suspected they couldn't resell gated content back to the consumer from a game they'd already bought and get the money their CEO felt they were entitled to.

Narrator "They were right"

fyi: Andrew Wilson (EA CEO iirc) came up with the monetization + lootbox/gambling aspects of FIFA Ultimate Team. So...you can see where the increased loot-boxiness comes from.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cS6LaOK.png

They're just cosmetic

OP
OP
Kazoku_

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
EA was intrigued. They also suspected they couldn't resell gated content back to the consumer from a game they'd already bought and get the money their CEO felt they were entitled to.

Narrator "They were right"

fyi: Andrew Wilson (EA CEO iirc) came up with the monetization + lootbox/gambling aspects of FIFA Ultimate Team. So...you can see where the increased loot-boxiness comes from.
What's crazy is that it's in everything they did last year. I play a lot of NBA Live and in 18 there are lootboxes for cosmetic items. Most are fine with that.

What's funny is that, for the career mode, not all of the "available" cosmetic items are contained in the lootboxes. "Special" items are rotated in and out of the rewards lootboxes for their multiplayer events. As far as I can tell you can't get those if you don't participate.

It's less ergregious than what 2K did this year, though, which is a continuous trend of devaluing the player's time for their own gain.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
People honkin' off about Sony exclusives.
Everyone else playing Fortnite together.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making out with Marzipan is totally awesome

Pom-Pom and Strong Bad are totally going out

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
1. Please let us know exactly how much you'll allow us to strip you of your consumer rights without creating a significant enough backlash to effect our bottom line

2. Fuck you

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Where's Klonoa 3?

Gamers dont have a single ounce of respect for themselves or their hobby.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
1. Why grind it out when you can just buy this stuff to get ahead quicker?
2. What ever we do, you'll just accept it and enable us to continue.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Not sustainable

By the next generation of consoles the original Xbox One idea will be acceptable

I don't think it will be by next generation, but they've been laying the groundwork. The problem with the message is that it was too upfront. Once they retreated from the original announcement, companies and developers just began a gradual push in that direction of always online single-player/co-op campaigns, service based games, and now streaming services. Once enough acceptance is garnered for these, they can definitely release their original idea without much resistance.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gaming Industry be like, Trying to be political correct in terms of microtransactions/lootboxes/negative-PR and yet getting away with murder.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

Chris Best

Dec 10, 2017
They sure don't make em like they used to.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.