Aussiebattler

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney

The National Rugby League (NRL) in Australia is restarting its competition tonight and is one of the first contact sports in the world to be back.

A similar game to rugby union, but much faster and exciting in my opinion.
I believe it will be showing in most countries tonight and shouldn't be too hard to find if you're interested. Tonight's game starts in about twenty minutes.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

The National Rugby League (NRL) in Australia is restarting its competition tonight and is one of the first contact sports in the world to be back.

A similar game to rugby union, but much faster and exciting in my opinion.
I believe it will be showing in most countries tonight and shouldn't be too hard to find if you're interested. Tonight's game starts in about twenty minutes.

Eeeeh, gonna be honest, still a union fella, but good news nevertheless that rl's back in a capacity.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I've always liked the pace of league, but given my country is far better at union the atmosphere is not comparable. Still, I think league is easier to understand for newcomers

OP
OP
Aussiebattler

Aussiebattler

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney
Half time and a close game so far, still forty minutes to go so plenty of time to give it a watch.

Here's another little promo that's shorter.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch league and enjoy it but it's not Union. Give me a rolling maul any day of the week!

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Union is an uncordinated, hoof the ball and run mess of game, to my eyes. League is such a better game to watch, with visible tactics. Apart from it being the sport of choice for the English elite, I can't understand why league isn't the big sport. Anyway congrats to Australia for being on top of things and being able to give the world some live sport.

Go Huddersfield Giants.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Union is an uncordinated, hoof the ball and run mess of game, to my eyes. League is such a better game to watch, with visible tactics. Apart from it being the sport of choice for the English elite, I can't understand why league isn't the big sport. Anyway congrats to Australia for being on top of things and being able to give the world some live sport.

Go Huddersfield Giants.

Whereas League to my eyes is pretty much the same 2 tactics over and over!

I jest and I can see why Union is an utter mess to people - I'm still surprised by rules every so often but when you can see the ebb and flow of the game it's brilliant. There are so many tactics but it takes ages to discern them, which is probably the same with League. But to me League is always a couple of big hitters for the first two/three sets, try a couple of fancy dan moves for the next and then kick on the final. You don't get the slow patient build up where a team does 17 phases and then goes wide/drop goal.

Also, one thing I love about Union is that there is literally a position for everyone - I'm always waiting for the fat man to run on the pitch when they announce a prop has been substituted!

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Whereas League to my eyes is pretty much the same 2 tactics over and over!

I jest and I can see why Union is an utter mess to people - I'm still surprised by rules every so often but when you can see the ebb and flow of the game it's brilliant. There are so many tactics but it takes ages to discern them, which is probably the same with League. But to me League is always a couple of big hitters for the first two/three sets, try a couple of fancy dan moves for the next and then kick on the final. You don't get the slow patient build up where a team does 17 phases and then goes wide/drop goal.

Also, one thing I love about Union is that there is literally a position for everyone - I'm always waiting for the fat man to run on the pitch when they announce a prop has been substituted!

I don't know where your from but to me rugby in England is tied into the class system and the north, south divide. So to me it's always been a sport that's at arm's length from me

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where your from but to me rugby in England is tied into the class system and the north, south divide. So to me it's always been a sport that's at arm's length from me

Scottish Borders. Everyone plays it - the class divide is more a hatred between towns and the posh schools, but we all play the same sport. We just want to beat them at it!

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Brilliant to see the greatest game back on TV, I've missed it!
Not gonna give my thoughts on the other code because this is a thread about league and the NRL in particular. I hope the exposure helps to attract some new viewers to what is an incredibly fast, skillful and brutal sport. I love it!

I'm UK based and we have our own league competition here but it's not a patch on the aussies unfortunately (Bulls fan here btw).

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Yorkshire and the situation is completely different. League is rugby in these parts

Yeah - it's a weird thing that Union has particularly in England. I work in a Private school in Yorkshire which does Union so it feels at home to me but all my friends in the area who aren't from the school are League. I have to explain weird intricacies to them, they try to explain the 40-20 to me.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah - it's a weird thing that Union has particularly in England. I work in a Private school in Yorkshire which does Union so it feels at home to me but all my friends in the area who aren't from the school are League. I have to explain weird intricacies to them, they try to explain the 40-20 to me.
The 40-20 is so weird, being rewarded for hoofing the ball out of play just doesn't seem right.

On the flip side I hate the end of Union games breaking down into running into someone and delaying the pass back.

Feb 13, 2021
Hello. Sorry to bump an old thread but Super League (rugby league in the UK) came back last week and it's fantastic. Not keen on their still being no crowds - and I'll probably never ever ever get over the fact that I wasn't in the stadium for this:

But yessir it's good to be back.

Any other fans on here?

I've got tickets for Australia vs Italy in the Rugby League World Cup too, so hopefully everything is back to relative normality come November.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
I live in the Midlands too far away from any club to have gotten into either code of rugby.

I've always tried to watch it at the six nations or world Cup. I think Union is just deathly dull sadly.

It was fun to play at school though, minus the micro and macro concussions.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I live in the Midlands too far away from any club to have gotten into either code of rugby.

I've always tried to watch it at the six nations or world Cup. I think Union is just deathly dull sadly.

It was fun to play at school though, minus the micro and macro concussions.
I'd recommend giving league a try the next time some is on TV. Next weekend the BBC will be airing some cup games so that's a perfect chance to check it out. League is generally a faster and more skillful game than union.