• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 1, 2018
lRN9inU.jpg

This is so random. I wanted to play the ps5 version and take2 wants to charge me 28 cents even though they specifically said the next gen upgrade is free for both ps4 disc and digital owners.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Take Two continues to be shit.

This is so dumb, considering they'll get absolute pennies out of this after everything is taken into account.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
If this is Germany, isn't there some weird no free store purchases law thing or something random I've read about?

This isn't a Take Two thing, it's a country specific law.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I guess it's because of our German laws so you can't cirvumvent the age verification of the PS5 version (which is technically handled as new/different version) by owning the PS4 version.

You have to pay a few cents for F2P games, too. Why it's exactly 28 cents I don't know.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017

This is so dumb, considering they'll get absolute pennies out of this after everything is taken into account.

Isn't that a German classification (USK) rating though? If so then they're bound by law to issue a fee I'm sure. Why they settled on the price they did though, I don't know.

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
This is Germany (and Japan) specific due to local laws.
If this is Germany, isn't there some weird no free store purchases law thing or something random I've read about?

This isn't a Take Two thing, it's a country specific law.
This is weird, I couldnt find ANY information about this at all. Is there a reason for that? Or public statement from Sony / Take2?
Who gets those 28 cents? Sony, Take2 or the german government?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Willkommen in Deutschland!

It's such bullshit. At least give us some sticker or so. Other free stuff was even € 0,99 which was even worse

And why can't it at least be discounted for PS+ (real free and not a PS+ giveaway)?

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

lol

Don't get me wrong, Take-Two deserves to be dunked on. But please do it in circumstances when they actually deserve to be dunked on, not when it's quite literally obviously something they play no part in.

Just makes the subsequent dunks feel less powerful, y'know.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
If this is Germany, isn't there some weird no free store purchases thing or something I've read about?

I think it's no free purchases for mature content, even if it's an upgrade since that is still technically acquiring a license for something rated mature for free.

Quick googling reveals that even free to play games like Warframe cost a couple cents on the German store supposedly.

Nov 6, 2017
I've also seen that free demos and betas like Nioh 1-2 require a PS+ membership in those countries.
In Japan they don't require PS+, they just charge 100 yen for anything that's Z-rated (i.e. 18+) that is free in other countries (so "free games on PS Plus" become discounted to 100 yen instead, with other free games to make up)

Deleted member 44122

thats normal in germany, a lot of free to play 18+ games require a 30cent (guess its 28cent now due to a lower sales tax or whatever) fee as an age verification method

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
They verify your age this way in Germany. It's a bit messed up. If you buy Playstation wallet or Playstation Plus cards at retail in Germany you have to prove you're 18 years or older. They invented a bullshit sticker/logo for this that looks similar to the USK one but it isn't the same.

yaffi

Oct 28, 2017
Scroll down on: https://www.playstation.com/de-de/

*Nicht-PS Plus-Mitglieder in Deutschland müssen eine Altersnachweisgebühr von 0,25 € zahlen.

Non-PS+ members in Germany have to pay a fee to prove they're 18+

Has to do with: https://usk.de/en/home/obligations-for-content-providers/

In accordance with the Youth Media Protection State Agreement (JMStV), providers of online content are responsible for ensuring that "material which is likely to harm the development of children or young people (…)" is not generally perceived by these age groups. Whoever infringes this regulation "may have a fine of up to € 500,000" imposed. This applies not only to games content such as pure online games which can be played directly over the internet or downloadable games, but also to films, texts or images.

In order to comply with the legal obligations on prejudicial content "16 and above" and "not under 18" years of age, providers have the following alternative possibilities available (cf.: Art. 5 Sect. 1, 3 and 4 as well as Art. 11 Sect. 1 of the Youth Media Protection State Agreement):

• Programming the website for a recognised Youth Protection Program.
  • Using scheduling
    Contents "16 and above" only accessible between 22.00 and 6.00
    Contents "not under 18" only accessible between 23.00 and 6.00
  • Using technical distribution restriction, e.g.: using a positive rated age verification system

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
thats normal in germany, a lot of free to play 18+ games require a 30cent (guess its 28cent now due to a lower sales tax or whatever) fee as an age verification method
I wonder if it has to do with minimum transaction numbers/fees on credit cards? I think there was something else where they had arrived at a seemingly arbitrary number, but it was driven by Visa/Mastercard or something weird like that.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
As others said, this is Germany specific because of Mature content. If i'm not mistaken it is to make sure you are an adult. All the cards with credit for consoles etc are (officially) only 18+, So since every way to get credit on the store is 18+ (store credit, credit cards etc) they can say that if you have credit on your account you already had some kind of age check. This is also why a lot of "Free to play" games cost a few cent here.